• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Upgrading to Windows 10 anyone?

Microsoft still hasn't fixed a bug that presents itself on both of my Win10 machines. Perhaps once a week for know particular reason and at random it seems it screws up my wife device driver in such a way that I am still on the router but it shows the router has not connected to the web. I know that the router is fine because my phone and tablet stay connected. I have to reboot and then go in an enable wifi. Vor my home personal computer this isn't huge but if I used these for work and it cut out during a skype or Skype for business call when I was also doing a webcast it would be intolerable. Fortunatelt I don't expect work to install Win10 for quite a while and it's the first thing I would have IT find a fix for before letting them do it. VioP and screen share are crucial to my work.

Wish I had a wife device driver.

Microsoft still hasn't fixed a bug that presents itself on both of my Win10 machines. Perhaps once a week for know particular reason and at random it seems it screws up my wife device driver in such a way that I am still on the router but it shows the router has not connected to the web. I know that the router is fine because my phone and tablet stay connected. I have to reboot and then go in an enable wifi. Vor my home personal computer this isn't huge but if I used these for work and it cut out during a skype or Skype for business call when I was also doing a webcast it would be intolerable. Fortunatelt I don't expect work to install Win10 for quite a while and it's the first thing I would have IT find a fix for before letting them do it. VioP and screen share are crucial to my work.

Wish I had a wife device driver.

It would probably be buggy.

Man I can't believe I made so many typos in that post of mine!

Nothing compared to me. I can read my post a couple of times before submitting, yet not see the typos until it's too late. The same mental glitch that caused the typos in the first place preventing me from seeing them when proof reading. Only when I come back to it later, refreshed, do I see the mess I left behind.

Bought a new HP two in one tablet/netbook to replace my old Tab3 8'' and it has Win10 (no choice). So it goes into the huge downloads, updates, upgrades, installs, restarts routine as soon as I connect it.

I reckon that somebody should %$#^*&# sue Microsoft. Maybe a class action. The Bastards!

Tried to turn cortana off but it tells me ''sorry but your permission is needed'' but doesn't actually give you the means. At least not without trawling through the settings.

Plus there is one 'drive' update/download that won't install. It just grinds on and on with every attempt until finally a pop up tells me 'failed to install'

One good thing, a survey asking how satisfied you are with Win10 and would you recommend it to others came up.....but I don't they'll be pleased with my reply.

"'All your files are exactly where you left them" is the most badly worded update installing message ever.
Seeing that most people have no idea where these files are saved in the first place, "where you left them" would be very inaccurate as well as poorly worded.

I'm getting that DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE that shuts down my wifi much more frequently now. I've tried to identify the driver. I think that it's the one for the Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 adapter but it tells me it's up to date.

I go into the networking settings and the wireless shows as disabled. I click to enable and it tells me I'm enabled but it stays disabled.

It's really very frustrating. At any random time it will disconnect me from the internet. I appear to be still connected to the router though. My other devices still have internet. It will take several failed re-boots to get connected again.

Win 10 hasn't been too bad lately. A few quirks now and again, but usable without wanting to take a hammer to the machine.

The update policy is a fucking mess. If I can't just open my laptop lid and immediately use my computer 99% of the time, the OS is a failure.

Luckily I managed to find some weird setting that stopped the update frequency.

Updates are a nuisance, a seemingly endless procession of updates, upgrades, downloads, installations and restarts. You can use your computer somewhere in between.

Maybe they'll get lucky and produce something half decent by the time Win 12 or Win 13 comes around...

My bet is that the next major release will be called 365. They skipped 9; there is nothing to stop them from skipping 11 thru 364 as well.

I wonder if any of their marketing geniuses noticed that every fourth year, Office 365 is a day short of having an impressive name? Or whether they are like my old boss, who claimed "Five nines" uptime for his servers, meaning they worked nine months a year, for nine days per month, for nine hours per day, for nine minutes per hour, and for nine seconds per minute.

By all accounts, Windows 10 would struggle to meet even that specification for many users ;)

Second laptop updated, without a hitch. My updates are seamless and rarely get in the way. /shrug. I expected problems on this one too, since it has a lot of proprietary hardware.

Back
Top Bottom