• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Upgrading to Windows 10 anyone?

OK, the consensus (not unanimous) seems to be stay in Win7 if you are already there, Win8 up to 10 can be an improvement. I'll stand pat at Win7 then, I'll accept Win10 on a new device.
I have no idea why people wanted to upgrade, other than it was free. Never get a new Windows OS until the first SP! Windows 7 is the latest Windows 2k. Nice, stable, few issues. Why leave that?

OK, the consensus (not unanimous) seems to be stay in Win7 if you are already there, Win8 up to 10 can be an improvement. I'll stand pat at Win7 then, I'll accept Win10 on a new device.
I have no idea why people wanted to upgrade, other than it was free. Never get a new Windows OS until the first SP! Windows 7 is the latest Windows 2k. Nice, stable, few issues. Why leave that?

I had Win 8, which wasn't very good, so I thought Win 10 must surely be better....how wrong I was.

OK, so I am noticing various sorts of bizarre behavior in applications after waking my computer from sleep.

I know from past experience that over time, the driver writers will get their shit together and the problems will eventually go away. I know this because the same thing has happened with countless previous releases of Windows, and I'm getting sick and tired of this. Either the hardware manufacturers are uniformly and consistently doing something wrong with their drivers, or there is something fundamentally wrong with how Windows implements drivers and/or sleep mode.

Honestly, I don't care which is the case. I'm just getting tired of having to go through this same problem again and again and again.

I had Win 8, which wasn't very good, so I thought Win 10 must surely be better....how wrong I was.

I had just the opposite experience. I loathed Windows 8, and the upgrade to 10 was definitely an improvement. Still avoiding upgrading my windows 7 machines, though. I do have a laptop that is doing poorly with 7, and am considering upgrading that one, but haven't done it just yet.

OK, so I am noticing various sorts of bizarre behavior in applications after waking my computer from sleep.

I know from past experience that over time, the driver writers will get their shit together and the problems will eventually go away. I know this because the same thing has happened with countless previous releases of Windows, and I'm getting sick and tired of this. Either the hardware manufacturers are uniformly and consistently doing something wrong with their drivers, or there is something fundamentally wrong with how Windows implements drivers and/or sleep mode.

Honestly, I don't care which is the case. I'm just getting tired of having to go through this same problem again and again and again.

Sleep mode has always been a problem, regardless of the windows version. I have gotten into the practice of changing settings to avoid sleep mode, and just shut the damn thing off when I am done with it. This works great with my Windows 10 laptop, as that thing boots up almost as fast as it takes most machines to wake up from sleep mode. It is less than 4 months old, so that helps.

Sleep mode has always been a problem, regardless of the windows version. I have gotten into the practice of changing settings to avoid sleep mode, and just shut the damn thing off when I am done with it. This works great with my Windows 10 laptop, as that thing boots up almost as fast as it takes most machines to wake up from sleep mode. It is less than 4 months old, so that helps.

I agree with that. I had an early meeting this morning for work so I decided to let my work computer sleep over night instead of taking it out of the docker and putting it away.

It's windows 7 but still it was very slow to wake and continued to do strange things. After the call I rebooted. All better now.

Win 10 has been running reasonably well lately, maybe the updates have ironed out some of the glitches? I'm still only running it with window defender and malwarebytes.

Maybe once a week I run into a known problem where Win10 shuts off my wireless card. Everything will be perfectly fine and then for who knows what reason I'll find that my computer is no longer connected to my WiFi. It's called "Device_Power_State_Failure". It appears that MS knows about it but hasn't done anything yet. When that happens I have to reboot and then sometimes I need to go find the wifi setting and enable it.

Norton is still doing fine on this new computer. On the old computer Norton kept telling me it needed to install a new windows 10 version and I kept telling it OK but it would always fail to install it. So I killed it and put Avast on my old computer.

Win 10 has been running reasonably well lately, maybe the updates have ironed out some of the glitches? I'm still only running it with window defender and malwarebytes.

Yeah, SP1 versions of Windows are much better than the base versions.

Recently saw something which said something to the effect of, "If the upgrade is free, you are the product." I believe that was referring to some automatic tracking built into Win10.

Recently saw something which said something to the effect of, "If the upgrade is free, you are the product." I believe that was referring to some automatic tracking built into Win10.
That's what Windows 10 is. A Google version of an OS. Windows never gave their OS away for free, now they are. There is a reason.

Huge Win10 update must have chewed through two weeks worth of prepaid web browsing. Ran out of credit halfway through installation.

Bloody hell, this wasn't just an upgrade but a whole new version of Windows10. I topped up with $200 in prepaid credit and after over an hour of downloading and installation and several restarts it was installed....checked the credit and found a balance of $67, at least 3 months of personal computer use chewed up by Microsoft... thanks a lot. How many more times do we need to install this program?

Huge Win10 update must have chewed through two weeks worth of prepaid web browsing. Ran out of credit halfway through installation.

Bloody hell, this wasn't just an upgrade but a whole new version of Windows10. I topped up with $200 in prepaid credit and after over an hour of downloading and installation and several restarts it was installed....checked the credit and found a balance of $67, at least 3 months of personal computer use chewed up by Microsoft... thanks a lot. How many more times do we need to install this program?

Cripes you pay a lot for data. I believe that my Comcast plan provides nominally 250 gigs a month but we only use about 1/3 of that. This update should have no noticeable impact on our monthly usage.

It looks like my computer has only just started to download the big update today. I have build version 10240 so what it's downloading now should be the new build version 10586. It's showing 4% complete.

Does anyone else have Kindle for PC installed with Win 10? I can't run it on mine since upgrading to 10 and the troubleshooter is useless.

Yikes! That amount of money would get me almost 2 months of service at 700gb/month!

I started using Ubuntu recently because I wanted to be able to do some programming on my Chromebook. I don't think I'm ever going back to Windows. Hell, now that I'm getting used to the command line, I'd rather go to OS X than Windows. Honestly, I think I'll stick with Linux distros for good, now. Once Microsoft drops support for Windows 7, my gaming desktop is going Ubuntu too. Too bad the Total War series isn't available for Ubuntu, at least not the latest games. Valve's Debian-based distro: SteamOS might make it all a moot-point. In that case, any gaming-rigs I get will be SteamOS. That's going to be a game-changer.

Once all the files had downloaded the update took about an hour. So far so good but it had reset to several of the privacy settings that I had turned OFF to On again. For example it was set to ON again regarding sending the texts of my emails to Microsoft.

Be sure to go check that if you don't want all your info sent to Microsoft.

Back
Top Bottom