• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Upgrading to Windows 10 anyone?

Another attempt at installing Linux into my old XP netbook. This time the whole ISO file downloaded...but would not open or copy onto disc. An issue with Windows, so now I am intalling RegCure Pro (which is now scanning the system) which should, maybe, allow me to copy the file and install....I hope.

I have already installed Win10 into my main laptop, which went without a glitch and is working ok but slow to boot up.

I suspect that Kaspersky may be the cause, perhaps being overly resource heavy.

Win10 security appears to be reasonable option on its own...at a casual glance.

Last edited:
If it aint broke don't fix it I figure. My computer works just fine on windows 7. I don't plan to "upgrade" until I am forced to when I buy a new computer many years from now.

If it aint broke don't fix it I figure. My computer works just fine on windows 7. I don't plan to "upgrade" until I am forced to when I buy a new computer many years from now.
That may be a good plan, depending on how you use your computer. I upgraded to W-10 from W-7 thinking that MS would likely stop supporting 7 in the near future and that web sites would be tailoring their sites to W10. So far I am not very happy with W-10. It is apparently set up to easily link with social media and I don't care to even have an account with facebook or other such media. In W-7 it is a snap to open the "control panel" or "my computer" etc. which I find quite useful for the way I use my computer. In W-10 it is a pain to do this but then maybe I just haven't gotten accustomed to the software yet. I will give it a while to see if it grows on me.

No luck with Linux, windows xp doesn't allow me to open the Linux ISO file, or to copy it onto disc. It did copy onto a memory stick, but still would not open or run the file from the memory stick.

No luck with Linux, windows xp doesn't allow me to open the Linux ISO file, or to copy it onto disc. It did copy onto a memory stick, but still would not open or run the file from the memory stick.
An ISO is a disc image: it's not meant to be opened directly but it instead meant to be 'installed' on a removable disk (either DVD or USB). Think of it like a ZIP file that has to be extracted before it's contents can be used.

ISO are confusing, because it is not as simple as copying the file to the disk like you would any other file. Instead, you have to 'install' the ISO onto the removable media. This basically unpacks the ISO into a series of files and directories.

In Windows, you can this by using Universal USB Installer. This program allows you to 'install' the ISO onto the USB and makes the USB bootable. On startup, your computer will try to load the operating system on the USB before it tries to load Windows.*

*Not all computers are configured to boot from USB before the hard drive, although most are configured to boot from DVD before the hard drive. As a general rule, the older the computer, the less likely it will automatically boot from USB if you plug a bootable USB into the machine. If you create a bootable USB and your computer ignores it, then you will need to tell the computer to look at the USB first. You can do this by changing the boot order.

An ISO is a disc image: it's not meant to be opened directly but it instead meant to be 'installed' on a removable disk (either DVD or USB). Think of it like a ZIP file that has to be extracted before it's contents can be used.

I tried to copy the ISO file onto DVD, but windows would not allow it. It did copy onto a USB, but would still not open or run.

ISO are confusing, because it is not as simple as copying the file to the disk like you would any other file. Instead, you have to 'install' the ISO onto the removable media. This basically unpacks the ISO into a series of files and directories.

In Windows, you can this by using Universal USB Installer. This program allows you to 'install' the ISO onto the USB and makes the USB bootable. On startup, your computer will try to load the operating system on the USB before it tries to load Windows.*

*Not all computers are configured to boot from USB before the hard drive, although most are configured to boot from DVD before the hard drive. As a general rule, the older the computer, the less likely it will automatically boot from USB if you plug a bootable USB into the machine. If you create a bootable USB and your computer ignores it, then you will need to tell the computer to look at the USB first. You can do this by changing the boot order.

Thanks, I'll look at doing that when I've got time.

What a hassle.

Win10 has been working OK on my main laptop but slow to boot up and get going, I suspect that Kasperski is resource heavy. It's constantly doing updates and scans in the background.

I tried to copy the ISO file onto DVD, but windows would not allow it. It did copy onto a USB, but would still not open or run.

Thanks, I'll look at doing that when I've got time.

What a hassle.

Win10 has been working OK on my main laptop but slow to boot up and get going, I suspect that Kasperski is resource heavy. It's constantly doing updates and scans in the background.

Before Windows 10, The method for upgrading Windows (eg. from MR to XP, XP to 7 etc) was to insert the Windows 7 install DVD. Most users got a DVD when they bought a retail copy of Windows from their local computer store. You can buy an install disk for Linux in much the same way--I got my first copy of Ubuntu attached to a PC magazine at my local newsagent--but if you learn to download your own ISO and create your own bootable media, you have access to a much wider range of operating systems and you can get new versions much more quickly.

It's a hassle, but it's one of those things you only have to learn once and can use for a very long time.

That may be a good plan, depending on how you use your computer. I upgraded to W-10 from W-7 thinking that MS would likely stop supporting 7 in the near future and that web sites would be tailoring their sites to W10. So far I am not very happy with W-10. It is apparently set up to easily link with social media and I don't care to even have an account with facebook or other such media. In W-7 it is a snap to open the "control panel" or "my computer" etc. which I find quite useful for the way I use my computer. In W-10 it is a pain to do this but then maybe I just haven't gotten accustomed to the software yet. I will give it a while to see if it grows on me.

Windows 10 will be something of a shock if you upgraded from 7, and never used 8, but believe me, it is an improvement over Windows 8. The lack of an actual Start menu in 8 was a source of unending frustration for me. As has been the case since practically the beginning of the Windows OS, every other version is undercooked crap, and has to be rescued by the next version, XP did it for ME, 7 did it for Vista, and 10 does it for 8. If you are happy with 7, stop there and don't upgrade, just wait until you buy a new PC, or until they cut off all support for 7. That said, since you have already taken the plunge, Windows 10 will likely grow on you.

Can you boot from the USB?

Even if you opened it it wouldn't do you any good.

.iso files are disk images. There are tools that will open them like archive files but all that does is let you see what's inside them. Linux code won't run under the Windows OS, you're not going to do much with the contents.

- - - Updated - - -

You need to burn it to a DVD, not simply copy it. May I suggest ImgBurn. (Watch for garbage on install but the program itself is good.)

Well, yet more dissatisfaction with W10. Maybe I shouldn't have updated my computer from W7.

A friend gave me a movie on DVD insisting that I need to watch it because it is so funny. After about a half hour trying to figure out how to get it to play, I finally realized that, like almost everything else I try to do with W10, I need to buy a special app from MS for $15. The W10 "free" update was apparently nothing more than a marketing plan to sell apps that end up costing more than buying an OS like W7 that has all the sub-programs and drivers.

Anyway, I watched the DVD on an old computer I still have set up that is running WindowsXP.

Well, yet more dissatisfaction with W10. Maybe I shouldn't have updated my computer from W7.

A friend gave me a movie on DVD insisting that I need to watch it because it is so funny. After about a half hour trying to figure out how to get it to play, I finally realized that, like almost everything else I try to do with W10, I need to buy a special app from MS for $15. The W10 "free" update was apparently nothing more than a marketing plan to sell apps that end up costing more than buying an OS like W7 that has all the sub-programs and drivers.

Anyway, I watched the DVD on an old computer I still have set up that is running WindowsXP.

That's odd. My Win10 came with a DVD player that works pretty well. At first MS said that they would not provide one but then they said they would and at some point Win10 installed it. I didn't pay anything.

Anyways, there are plenty of free DVD player aps out there. No need to spend any money. VLC Media Player is pretty good.

Here is my Start button. In the first set of 9 apps labeled Photos and more, the bottom center icon that's just blue square with a white rectangular DVD player with a white triangle, that's the Win10 built in DVD player. Do you have that anywhere in your All apps?

Here is my Start button. In the first set of 9 apps labeled Photos and more, the bottom center icon that's just blue square with a white rectangular DVD player with a white triangle, that's the Win10 built in DVD player. Do you have that anywhere in your All apps?

I appreciate the help, thanks.

But no, I couldn't find any such icon. But, not to worry, I did a quick google search on playing DVDs in W10. I found a blog by someone who was complaining about the same omission of built in DVD player and it directed me to a freeware/shareware player. I installed it and it seems to work fine.

That's odd. My Win10 came with a DVD player that works pretty well. At first MS said that they would not provide one but then they said they would and at some point Win10 installed it. I didn't pay anything.

Anyways, there are plenty of free DVD player aps out there. No need to spend any money. VLC Media Player is pretty good.
Interesting. Apparently W10 was being changed while it was being issued so there are several different versions depending on what day it was downloaded. When I tried to open the DVD, it just directed me to the app store and offered to sell me the player. But you are right, I have already found a shareware VLC player - was directed there by a blogger who had the same complaint I had.

I went ahead and upgraded last week. Since then, zero problems, quicker startup than with 7, all my previously installed software and downloaded files intact. My only gripe is that updates seem to take longer to install than with 7, but other than that, it's fine.

Registered to get the upgrade which I've downloaded, but have yet to install. I actually need to go get some media to do a proper backup before starting the upgrade, which is the main reason I've not done so yet. That and I was also waiting to see some more reviews on it. I was thinking soon, but after reading some of you saying, basically, "hey, my Win 7 is working fine so I won't do it," I think I'll hold off a bit longer.

Registered to get the upgrade which I've downloaded, but have yet to install. I actually need to go get some media to do a proper backup before starting the upgrade, which is the main reason I've not done so yet. That and I was also waiting to see some more reviews on it. I was thinking soon, but after reading some of you saying, basically, "hey, my Win 7 is working fine so I won't do it," I think I'll hold off a bit longer.
Yeah, the old adage is you never get the new Windows OS, you get it after SP 1 is released. Regardless, Windows 7 is quite nice. I fear what Microsoft has in mind if they are giving 10 away for free.

Back
Top Bottom