• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Upgrading to Windows 10 anyone?

Registered to get the upgrade which I've downloaded, but have yet to install. I actually need to go get some media to do a proper backup before starting the upgrade, which is the main reason I've not done so yet. That and I was also waiting to see some more reviews on it. I was thinking soon, but after reading some of you saying, basically, "hey, my Win 7 is working fine so I won't do it," I think I'll hold off a bit longer.
Yeah, the old adage is you never get the new Windows OS, you get it after SP 1 is released. Regardless, Windows 7 is quite nice. I fear what Microsoft has in mind if they are giving 10 away for free.

I've forgotten what I've said here vs the same topic at SecCafe but, risking repeating myself, I first installed Win10 on my old 2009 notebook. The thing had become slow as can be. The Win10 upgrade brought the machine back to almost "as new" speed. Likely a reformat and reinstall of Win7 would have done the same but installing Win10 was easier. It worked. Old computer now very fast again.

This computer I am on now is only 3 months old. I got it with Win7 but something was broken from the get-go. Things kept falling apart. Windows Update was broken soon after it made a few updates. Something called BITS, Background intelligent Transfer Service, that's needed even to connect to iTunes was busted. Total reinstall in Win7 didn't fix this new computer and it started breaking down again.

So I installed Win10. Since then the computer has been behaving perfectly. Is it an improvement over a properly working Win7? Probably it's a bit faster on boot-up and shut down. Otherwise, I have Win10 acting like Win7 should when working correctly. Look and feel almost the same. Start button is a bit better and the File Explorer has better options but, I'd say that if Win7 is working for you, upgrading to Win10 is not a huge improvement and very possibly not worth doing right away. But keep in mind that the Win10 upgrade is only free until July 29, 2016. After that it's not free. If you might want to upgrade at some point, decide by July 29, 2016.

ETA: Anyone with a relatively new Dell notebook, like this one, may be familiar with FastAccess, which uses face recognition instead of a password to start up. If you use an external monitor as I usually do, or don't use a password, as I don't for this home computer, there is still no way to get FastAccess to go away. It's constantly there getting in the way. Installing Win10 finally killed off FastAccess for good and I was thrilled.

Last edited:
Win10 is not working very well in my Acer Aspire netbook, that's for sure. Glitchy and slow as hell, and being resource heavy I don't think Kaspersky is helping much.

Downloading Windows 10 for my spare HP laptop, a machine so awful that I really haven't got any better use for it. The fan is noisy, it runs slow, it overheats occasionally, and I had to throw out the battery. If someone ever steals a computer from me again, there is no fucking way I'm letting the insurance company decide which brand the replacement shall be.

At least this way, I can test my websites against Edge plus the Windows versions of Chrome and Firefox and keep my dev environment open on my Arch Linux PC. I should set up a Windows VM, buuuut I can't be bothered right now.

Win10 is not working very well in my Acer Aspire netbook, that's for sure. Glitchy and slow as hell, and being resource heavy I don't think Kaspersky is helping much.

I've heard Kaspersky and Win 10 do not play well together. Many complaints from Kaspersky users. I suggest dumping Kas and try something else.

I've heard Kaspersky and Win 10 do not play well together. Many complaints from Kaspersky users. I suggest dumping Kas and try something else.

My thought exactly...but what is a better choice ? The reviews don't help at all.

Uninstalled Kaspersky and installed Norton. What a difference that made, blistering speed compared to how its been lately. Kaspersky and Win10 was not a happy marriage, not at all. Goodbye Kaspersky!

Bloody hell, the pages are loading fast enough now, but other problems have emerged, files won't open (the display crashes and reloads) and screen icons are being moved around....recycle bin moves to the top, firefox icon moved to the bottom, etc. I don't know if Norton is doing it, or something else.

You could also try not installing any antivirus software and just use Windows Defender.

You could also try not installing any antivirus software and just use Windows Defender.

If Bitdefender fails to perform (so far it's been ok), that's probably my next option. Windows defender is quite basic, if the reports are accurate.

''don't confuse protection that's "good enough" with protection that's "good"

''Maybe if your computer is still running in tip-top shape and all of your banking information is in order, you have no reason to care about a quiet little virus. Perhaps a few extra megabytes of RAM to play with are worth rolling the dice if the odds are in your favor. Just don't confuse protection that's "good enough" with protection that's "good". Labs like AV Comparatives, Virus Bulletin, and AV-Test that rigorously test security software put the out-of-box virus protection capabilities of Windows well behind the vast majority of commercial antivirus products out there. Even Microsoft themselves admit they offer little more than strong baseline protection (i.e. better than nothing).''

Win 10 is working quite well with just Win Defender and Malwarebytes, but I'm not sure if it's secure enough for general web browsing.

Win 10 is working quite well with just Win Defender and Malwarebytes, but I'm not sure if it's secure enough for general web browsing.

As long as you're aware of the usual traps you're fine.

I uninstalled AVG almost a year ago because it was affecting one of my software IDE's during development. Every now and then I remember I never re-installed it, but the combination of knowing which parts of the internet and links to avoid and Chrome's native security features have kept my machine secure.

That said, installing AVG isn't a bad idea.

Reactions: DBT
One down, two to go. This one now has 10, but the second comp keeps giving me an unknown error.

Just to be nice to you guys I contacted our company's security expert. He says that the best thing there is is "Security Essentials". In Win 7 it's optional, and in Win 8 & 10 it's already integrated. You need nothing else. It's a waste of money and RAM. He's paid better than all of us. So I'm going to respect his advice.

BTW, on the topic of security. I've just hired a group of Russians to hack my companies servers. This is a high-security target, and this has been cleared by Swedish military intelligence. Lol. Hilarious first meeting. Russians are very russsiany. It's just extra fun knowing that these are Russian professional hackers. They look like East-European hackers in their photos. Hysterical.

You may now refer to me as Ernst Stavro Blofeld. I feel like his soul-mate.

Back
Top Bottom