• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

US Federal Gov't decriminalizing marijuana?

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
House passes sweeping reform bill to decriminalize marijuana | TheHill
The measure, the Marijuana Opportunity Reinvestment and Expungement (MORE) Act, passed on a largely party-line vote of 228-164.

Six Democrats voted against the legislation and five Republicans voted for it. The GOP-controlled Senate is not expected to take up the measure.

The legislation would remove marijuana from the federal list of controlled substances and expunge some marijuana convictions for nonviolent criminals.
Five Republicans vote for bill to decriminalize marijuana | TheHill

Matt Gaetz warns GOP that arguments against legalizing marijuana increasingly unpopular | TheHill
He's R-FL in the House.

Rep. Eric Swalwell on Twitter: "This is batty. Americans are in dire need of food and paychecks. More people died yesterday from #COVID19 than any day since. We have work to do. Yet, @HouseGOP just motioned to adjourn Congress. What the hell are they doing?" / Twitter
then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "We’re trying to get COVID relief and stimulus checks out to people and right now Republicans are trying to prematurely adjourn Congress.

People are going hungry and they’re treating this like a game. Leaders don’t abandon people in their time of greatest need." / Twitter

Rep. Arrington on Twitter: "Respectfully, that’s not what you’re trying to do, Congresswoman.

@HouseDemocrats leadership brought the House into session this week to legalize pot and vote on the Tiger King bill. No stimulus. No COVID relief.

Actions speak louder than tweets." / Twitter

then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "We’ve passed multiple COVID relief bills, far more generous than GOP’s for working people, that GOP are sitting on in the Senate. & the “pot” bills that you are so dismissive of will expunge millions of people’s records from the unjust War on Drugs. STILL no reason to adjourn." / Twitter
then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "In case people would like to learn more about the MORE Act spearheaded by @RepJerryNadler @RepBarbaraLee @repblumenauer & more: https://t.co/hu4CeazAtS" / Twitter
noting
MORE Act: Congress Votes on First Marijuana Legalization Bill - Rolling Stone - "The MORE Act, the first legalization bill to make it to the floor of Congress, would decriminalize marijuana at the federal level, and begin to give back to the communities hit hardest by the War on Drugs"
The House of Representatives passed the MORE Act on Friday by a vote of 228-164. The vote fell largely along party lines, with 6 Democrats voting against the bill and 5 Republicans voting for it. The chamber’s lone Libertarian member, Rep. Justin Amash, voted for it.

“I’m so proud that the MORE Act passed the House by a bipartisan vote of 228 to 164,” House Judiciary Chairman Jerry Nadler (D-N.Y.) tweeted after the vote went final. “I introduced this bill to provide restorative justice, modernize America’s cannabis laws, and deliver meaningful investments to America’s communities & small businesses. Now, let’s make it a law.”
I haven't found anything on it at congress.gov - may take a while to update that site about that bill.

The bill itself:
H.R.3884 - 116th Congress (2019-2020): MORE Act of 2019 | Congress.gov | Library of Congress
Sponsor: Rep. Nadler, Jerrold [D-NY-10] (Introduced 07/23/2019)
With 120 cosponsors

Votes on it:
Office of the Clerk, U.S. House of Representatives

Roll Call 234 - a "Motion to Recommit" that failed. Some Republicans trying to obstruct it?

Roll Call 235 - on passing the bill
The vote:
  • Democratic: Y 222 N 6 P 0 nv4
  • Republican: Y 5 N 158 P 0 nv 34
  • Independent: Y 1 N 0 P 0 nv0
  • Total: Y 228 N 164 P 0 nv 38
Justin Amash is the Independent here.

The Democrats who voted against it: Cheri Bustos IL-17, Henry Cuellar TX-28, Conor Lamb PA-17, Chris Pappas NH-01, Colin Peterson MN-07

All relatively conservative Democrats.

NORML on Twitter: ".@Marie4Congress: @DanLipinski was one of six Democrats who voted NO to ending federal marijuana prohibition today, when you take over his seat in 2021 can we count on you to join the rest of the YES votes on the right side of history? #MOREAct" / Twitter
then
Marie Newman on Twitter: "I am aware. I will support the more act" / Twitter
Marie Newman primaried Dan Lipinski last spring.

There's not even a remote chance of this becoming law.

I think you're looking for a double negative here - "not a chance that there won't be a law against it..."
:)

On the brighter side...
in 2019 I had a plant that was in my greenhouse and it became a problem. It was over ten feet high (bent over at the eight foot ceiling) and about ten feet wide, eating up a huge amount of space and yielding so much that I was giving away shopping bags of the stuff to anyone who would take it.
This year, I waited until the middle of July to put a plant in, just to see what would happen. It matured at about waist-high and maybe 3-4' across, occupying a corner where early Romaine and spinach had been growing. Still yielded several ounces, which surprised and inspired me for the future. 2021 I'll push it a little further, and wait until august to put in three plants, hoping for high-yield dwarfs.
The bad news - I'm going to have to shop for seeds. I like Crop King Seeds but it's a bit of information overload trying to decide what to order... recommendations welcome!

I was working stage security at a concert festival. The headline band, Naiswan, was hanging back stage. They had some weed called Blue Dream. The buds were actually blue. I took three tokes and I was annihilated. Highly recommended.

Walter White is making weed now?
I thought he was too busy assasinating that Iranian IRGC scientist/general by remote control.

Got a real nice propaganda piece from Doug Lamborn, riddled with lies and fearmongering about pot, starting with "we have seen the devastation in Colorado" - which is TOTAL bullshit, to saying it flies in the face of what people want - also total bullshit.
Pissed me off. I shot off a note to him:

Elixir said:
Screw you Doug.
Churches do far more damage than pot or pot stores.
And criminal gangs do almost as much damage as churches.
Every dollar spent in Colorado's pot stores is a dollar not in the hands of murderous cartels.
Every one of those dollars helps support k-12 education. Why do you want to keep kids stupid, Doug?
The proposal to decriminalize pot is an expression of the will of the vast majority of Americans.
Screw you, AND your lies, Doug.

Walter White is making weed now?
I thought he was too busy assasinating that Iranian IRGC scientist/general by remote control.

Huh?

Zipr was talking about some extra-potent blue weed. Walter White was making some ultra-pure (and highly potent) blue meth.

... Dude, you have clearly learned nothing of weed over decades. If I could make a watch as tight against water as you have been against facts, I would be making bank!

Blueberry is a strain well known in the world. It is a foundation of modern marijuana horticulture, having the interesting trait of, well, tasting and smelling like blueberries. This aromatic property is actually owing to the close relationship with the hopps plant, btw. Of course the plant is generally not blue but because of the variance in the plant (again similar to hopps) it also does have a wide range of colours, from white, to blue, to purple, to red.

Blue dream is a popular hybrid of "blueberry". If someone speaks of what weed they last smoked, there is like, a ~20% chance "blue" will be part of the name. Blueberry is a cornerstone of modern weed horticulture, too, because of its potency: it was one of the first weed strains grown professionally through modern horticultural techniques to increase yields.

Once upon a time there were various "walter whites" of weed who did learn the science of growing weed. Then they published that information and you can buy horticulture guides and be as walter white about it as you want.

Your Incredulity that people could get as serious about their weed as people get about their hopps in making beer is telling.

In fact, enterprising human are now experimenting with brewing techniques that substitute the aromatic elements of hops with those of marijuana.

If you want to get REALLY scientific, though, you turn towards "oils", "distillates" and "dabbing": someone discovered that owing to the solubility of volatile aromatics in liquid/supercritical CO2 you could selectively isolate them from the rest of the organic matter and then purge out the CO2 later.

The result is either a solid with a consistency like pitch or a liquid (which can contain crystalline precipitates), or even occasionally hard clear sugar-seeming crystals that people call "thc diamonds" depending on the purity of the fractions they obtain.

There has been a long tradition of getting creative with how to smoke a substance with such a wide variety of physical consistencies. Usually, the idea is to affix it to the end of a thin metal stick or blade or spatula or needle and then drop it onto a heated element that allows for all the vapor and smoke of the distillate or "wax" to be pulled through the pipe to the user.

One thing that has become a recent trend, though, possibly the coolest part, is that now the synthetic gemstone industry is getting a boost from us stoners in the form of "banger pearls", small beads of gemstones designed to act as thermal mixers inside of the enclosure of a pipe where people put their oil. Their thermal properties then prevent the beads from breaking or melting at the heats involved. So if you ever want to buy a handful of cheap synthetic rubies or whatever, now you know where to look.

Got a real nice propaganda piece from Doug Lamborn, riddled with lies and fearmongering about pot, starting with "we have seen the devastation in Colorado" - which is TOTAL bullshit, to saying it flies in the face of what people want - also total bullshit.
Pissed me off. I shot off a note to him:

Elixir said:
Screw you Doug.
Churches do far more damage than pot or pot stores.
And criminal gangs do almost as much damage as churches.
Every dollar spent in Colorado's pot stores is a dollar not in the hands of murderous cartels.
Every one of those dollars helps support k-12 education. Why do you want to keep kids stupid, Doug?
The proposal to decriminalize pot is an expression of the will of the vast majority of Americans.
Screw you, AND your lies, Doug.

You missed one point I consider important.
Buying black market drugs you never really know what you're getting. Buying from a reputable source hugely reduces the risk of getting dangerous adulterants.
Tom

I think you're looking for a double negative here - "not a chance that there won't be a law against it..."

On the brighter side...
in 2019 I had a plant that was in my greenhouse and it became a problem. It was over ten feet high (bent over at the eight foot ceiling) and about ten feet wide, eating up a huge amount of space and yielding so much that I was giving away shopping bags of the stuff to anyone who would take it.
This year, I waited until the middle of July to put a plant in, just to see what would happen. It matured at about waist-high and maybe 3-4' across, occupying a corner where early Romaine and spinach had been growing. Still yielded several ounces, which surprised and inspired me for the future. 2021 I'll push it a little further, and wait until august to put in three plants, hoping for high-yield dwarfs.
The bad news - I'm going to have to shop for seeds. I like Crop King Seeds but it's a bit of information overload trying to decide what to order... recommendations welcome!

That's a huge plant, would make a good holiday tree. Had one in the garden like that years ago.

Maybe you should grow inside, regulate the light and heat to bring things into bud while smaller.

On the brighter side...

That's a huge plant, would make a good holiday tree. Had one in the garden like that years ago.

Maybe you should grow inside, regulate the light and heat to bring things into bud while smaller.

That would work well for strains like the blue buds, but for now the late planting scheme is in effect ... this year proved it can work. Just have to decide on a more Indica-dominant, short season strain.
I have a basement and a light or two, but in the past the indoor growing project has proven too labor intensive and it makes a big mess. Plus, I forget about it (blame the weed!) and things suffer.
Planting in the greenhouse ensures staying on top of it since the main crops are tomatoes and other food plants that I greatly enjoy growing, and tend to daily.
The greenhouse is a happy place. The basement, not so much.

My brother in law told me he met a couple at a swap meet. They bought a couple used shipping containers and wired them up for grow rooms. Their first crop netted them $140,000.

... Dude, you have clearly learned nothing of weed over decades. If I could make a watch as tight against water as you have been against facts, I would be making bank!

Dude, it was a joke on account of the weed being blue. Didn't mean to trigger you.

Kind of an interesting elaboration though.

As to the bill, I support it. Weed should be legal. And federal prohibition means that even in the states they have legalized it operating weed businesses remains difficult.

Back
Top Bottom