• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

US President 2016 - the Great Horse Race

The U.S. has 21 aircraft carriers. The next country on the list having aircraft carriers is Italy (not Russia) with 2. You don't seem to understand the meaning of the word PORK. This PORK is unnecessary and a gross waste of tax payer money. Who bought the fucking balloons? The people making the aircraft carriers we don't need, and the F-35s we don't need.

21? That's ridiculously low.
Actually, it's kinda high.

We have 10 aircraft carriers. And 9 ships that support amphibious operations to include aircraft and beach-landing craft, but are not aircraft carriers. They're limited to helicopters and some vertical take-off craft.

But, hey, if you're going to complain about unnecessary carriers, might as well add other vessels unnecessarily.

We have 10 aircraft carriers. And 9 ships that support amphibious operations to include aircraft and beach-landing craft, but are not aircraft carriers. They're limited to helicopters and some vertical take-off craft.

But, hey, if you're going to complain about unnecessary carriers, might as well add other vessels unnecessarily.

Actually, it's low, not kinda low but very low. It's only high comparitavely.

If I go to a car lot to buy a car and only have $21 to make my purchase, then yes, comparatively, I have a higher amount of money than all those other broke people who have merely carried $2 a piece with them.

Actually, it's low, not kinda low but very low. It's only high comparitavely.
I'd have said it was high 'grammatically.'
Complaining about how our 21 CVN are overkill when we only have 10, that's just wrong.
You misread me or I misspoke. 21 is not overkill by any stretch of the imagination. I was arguing against the notion that overkill might be cast against us. 21 is not pork. It's vitally necessary. It's essential. Comparatively, it may be greater than others, but it pales far below any notion of it being overkill.

I'd have said it was high 'grammatically.'
Complaining about how our 21 CVN are overkill when we only have 10, that's just wrong.
You misread me or I misspoke. 21 is not overkill by any stretch of the imagination. I was arguing against the notion that overkill might be cast against us. 21 is not pork. It's vitally necessary. It's essential. Comparatively, it may be greater than others, but it pales far below any notion of it being overkill.
And you misread me.
I'm not arguing whether or not 21 is pork or necessary.
I'm saying that akirk's use of the number 21 is inaccurate. The number is 10.

And you misread me.
I'm not arguing whether or not 21 is pork or necessary.
I'm saying that akirk's use of the number 21 is inaccurate. The number is 10.
Oh. My bad.

You're correct about the distinction between ship types, but it's also the case that the overwhelming majority of the "aircraft carriers" in service with other navies around the world (all except the French nuclear carrier Charles de Gaulle and maybe a couple of others) are equivalents to the Wasp and America class amphibious assault ships; they carry helicopters and a small number of V/STOL aircraft like Harriers.

Some woman in the elevator asked me: "So I voted in the primary already. Do I have to vote in November, too?"

Such are the inhabitants of most Western electorates. These are the people who elect government. May the great spaghetti Monster have mercy on us all!

- - - Updated - - -

Such is the price of being the world's policeman!

The Roman Empire fell because they appeased Islam?

I learned something today.

We are discussing the 21st century are we not? I was asked to define pc leftard ideology!

No, you were asked how the current ideology of political correctness was comparable to the Romam Empire. If your answer only applied to the current definition, how is it that you feel that definition relates to what happened in the Roman Empire?

We are discussing the 21st century are we not? I was asked to define pc leftard ideology!

No, you were asked how the current ideology of political correctness was comparable to the Romam Empire. If your answer only applied to the current definition, how is it that you feel that definition relates to what happened in the Roman Empire?

Now you are been petty! Time and circumstances changed, pc ideology hasn't!

Right, and that's the question. What exactly were the PC attributes of the Roman Empire which led to its collapse and how did they do so? How do they relate to the PC attributes of today which, apparently, are on their way to doing the same thing?

You're correct about the distinction between ship types, but it's also the case that the overwhelming majority of the "aircraft carriers" in service with other navies around the world (all except the French nuclear carrier Charles de Gaulle and maybe a couple of others) are equivalents to the Wasp and America class amphibious assault ships; they carry helicopters and a small number of V/STOL aircraft like Harriers.
Well, yes, there are 9 ships in the navy which, if they were in other country's navy, we'd classify as aircraft carriers.
But they're not in another country's navy.

Akirk is just throwing numbers around without actually defining how many carriers (of either sort) are 'necessary,' or what criteria he'd use to establish the necessary numbers before we hit 'unnecessary' amounts of carriers.

The only detail he's offered is the number 21. Which is an error.

If he could establish the 'necessary' number of carriers we should have to protect our interests and, incidentally, everyone else's sea lanes for commerce, then we could discuss that. Along with whether or not the 9 Amphib assets are or are not deployed to fill all of those roles, thus whether or not they actually do impact on our 'necessary/unnecessary' inventory split.

So you're still claiming that PC ideology brought down the Roman Empire?

Enough of fucking Rome!

CBS poll implies a 4 pt bounce for Clinton. More importantly her negative view dropped and is only 50% now, which still makes her now about 6 times more popular than Congress, from 5 times pre-convention. ;)

As now previously, polls vary by polling company, so it is best to compare the internal polls from each company. The stat to watch is Trump's number, does it stay below 40? If he mouths off about mother's of slain military heroes (you know, some people are saying this), maybe this time it finally will.

As now previously, polls vary by polling company, so it is best to compare the internal polls from each company. The stat to watch is Trump's number, does it stay below 40? If he mouths off about mother's of slain military heroes (you know, some people are saying this), maybe this time it finally will.

He's taking a relatively hard hit from that one. People are going apeshit about it and not in a good way. Of course, his faithful dimwits, who would start shoving Mexicans into ovens are ready to string up the parents of that fallen soldier, but that's not surprising. But McCain has, for all practical purposes unendorsed him and the families of fallen veteran groups are mortified.

Encouraging the Russians, the refusal to disclose his taxes, and now this--it may be the self-inflicted three punch combo that finally knocks him out.

Hopefully.

I always thought the Republican devotion to veterans was kind of empty. The fact they'd even nominate someone like Trump shows it. Fortunately, it seems there are at least a handful of republicans who won't go down this road. All we need are a few percentage points of people who think that Trump is less likeable than Clinton.

Back
Top Bottom