• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Utah Monolith Presages Biden - Trump Fight

Couldn't have happened soon enough. There are already hundreds of morons tramping out there into preserve land, no prep. In the summer it'll be the damn Magic Bus all over again, no one bringing sufficient water, needing to get rescued, screwing around in the adjoining slot canyon when there are rainclouds on the horizon, fucking with the bighorn population that is supposed to be recovering there...

I don't know the terrain but that sounds like a likely description of what would happen. Slot canyon + rain is a very bad combination!

Couldn't have happened soon enough. There are already hundreds of morons tramping out there into preserve land, no prep. In the summer it'll be the damn Magic Bus all over again, no one bringing sufficient water, needing to get rescued, screwing around in the adjoining slot canyon when there are rainclouds on the horizon, fucking with the bighorn population that is supposed to be recovering there...

I don't know the terrain but that sounds like a likely description of what would happen. Slot canyon + rain is a very bad combination!

Well, they call it "Canyonlands" for a reason...

Well, they call it "Canyonlands" for a reason...

That simply says lots of canyons, it doesn't say anything about slot canyons + rain.

Hiking on a well-used trail is one thing, but backcountry with no trail is not a place for novices, especially ill-equipped ones!

It's pretty rough country. Beautiful, but rough. If you're ever in the area, hike out to Grandview or Dead Horse Point some time and look down into the terrain below, you'll see the kind of territory they're wandering into. Gorgeous and perilous. No water at all... until it is everywhere.

It's pretty rough country. Beautiful, but rough. If you're ever in the area, hike out to Grandview or Dead Horse Point some time and look down into the terrain below, you'll see the kind of territory they're wandering into. Gorgeous and perilous. No water at all... until it is everywhere.

Canyonlands is dangerous as hell. Even the stunning beauty is a danger, with its power to paralyze and distract.
There are so many places people can go into but can't get out of... its a wonder that more people don't disappear.

Canyonlands is dangerous as hell. Even the stunning beauty is a danger, with its power to paralyze and distract.
There are so many places people can go into but can't get out of... its a wonder that more people don't disappear.

Yup, you always have to pay attention to that. More than once I've turned back upon hitting terrain I was comfortable climbing but I would not be comfortable descending on the way back.

Back
Top Bottom