• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Vandals spray-paint Stonehenge

Meh. Paint washes off; They are rocks, and won't be significantly affected.

It's not like the "ancient" monument is pristine and undisturbed; We know gor a fact that renovation works were done to straighten and "replace" some of the stones in 1901; 1919; 1929; 1958; 1959; and 1964, with the latter works including setting some of the stones in concrete - arguably far worse vandalism than a bit of grafitti.

Perhaps worse still are the works that have been done in the surrounding landscape, and the damage done by the sheer numbers of tourists who now visit.

Stonehenge is a poor choice to visit if you are interested in the actual history of the area; Far better preserved, and more interesting IMO, sites are to be found in the surrounding area, and are not as defiled by the tourism industry.

If you want to look at prehistoric stone circles, I would suggest Avebury as a much more rewarding day out than Stonehenge, which is about as original and as historic and as exciting as EuroDisney.

It isn't just about some paint on some rocks, or tourism.

The incident came just before thousands were expected to gather at the prehistoric site to celebrate the summer solstice — the longest day of the year.

English Heritage, which manages the UNESCO World Heritage Site, said it was “extremely upsetting” and said curators were investigating the damage.

Solstice is important to some people. Solutions are important to some people. Education. Public relations. Marketing.

There are so many excruciatingly important matters at play here, @bilby , I am totally stunned by your reply, uncertain as to your intent, and unwilling to investigate.

You sure did say a whole entire thing that had nothing to do with any of this.

It isn't just about some paint on some rocks, or tourism.

The incident came just before thousands were expected to gather at the prehistoric site to celebrate the summer solstice — the longest day of the year.

English Heritage, which manages the UNESCO World Heritage Site, said it was “extremely upsetting” and said curators were investigating the damage.

Solstice is important to some people. Solutions are important to some people. Education. Public relations. Marketing.

There are so many excruciatingly important matters at play here, @bilby , I am totally stunned by your reply, uncertain as to your intent, and unwilling to investigate.

You sure did say a whole entire thing that had nothing to do with any of this.
It was a publicity stunt.

Giving publicity to the perpetrators seems unwarranted.

Nobody got hurt. Nothing got irreperably damaged; The damage done is easy to reversed with a few cans of paint stripper - the underlying stones are made of rock.

Nothing was corrupted from a previously pristine state - the stones have already been moved, cleaned, and generally fucked with repeatedly for centuries (probably millennia).

No valuable archaeological or historical data was damaged or lost - The stones and their immediate surroundings long since gave up any information they would ever give. All of the archaeological unknowns about Stonehenge today were either destroyed centuries aho, or are contained in the wider landscape. The various road works on the A303, including the construction of the modern road, have done (and will doubtless in future do) far more damage than a bit of paint on the standing stones themselves.

There's no such thing as "sacred"; That's just an excuse used for over-reaction by religious people. I don't accept that excuse when someone is enraged by the burning of a Koran or a Bible, so what makes new-age solstice worshippers worthy of special dispensation to be outraged by trivia?

In the very long list of stuff people are doing in the world today about which I might be outraged, painting some rocks as a publicity stunt doesn't come very high up at all.

British archaeology is genuinely threatened by vandalism by "nighthawk" illegal digging, by developers who flout the law, and by legal developing that lacks the necessary regulation to protect sites (some of which are not known to be valuable until it's too late to protect them). It's not noticably threatened by some idiots at Stonehenge with paint and a desire for publicity.

In fact, I am beginning to think that my original "meh" may have been more outrage on my part than was strictly warranted.

Why do you think we should be outraged at this stunt, in particular? My life is too short to be outraged at every selfish and ignorant act of vandalism, and as such acts go, this is at the lower end of the 'harmful' scale.

Hopefully the perpetrators will be caught and made to clean up their mess, or sent the bill for the cleanup if it's already been done.

Having been to Stonehenge twice, once in 1980 and again in 2014, and while it’s a great monument, I don’t think it warrants the expensive entry fee. You can’t get within 100m of it really.

As Bilby points out, paint can be removed. And it was a publicity stunt. And giving them more publicity is giving them what they want…publicity!

Wow, no wonder people hate atheists. "YOU FOOL! I DECREE, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS 'SACRED." I SHIT IN YOUR MOUTH."

Wow, no wonder people hate atheists. "YOU FOOL! I DECREE, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS 'SACRED." I SHIT IN YOUR MOUTH."
More "I refuse to acceed to your demand for special status".

This is no worse (and no better) than graffitiing a bus shelter. It's antisocial, and deserves mild punishment, and the disapprobation of the local community, but it's petty crime, and shouldn't be international news.

Declaring something "sacred" is at best a lazy way to avoid the work of actually defining why it deserves special protection; And at worst (and more commonly) an antisocial attempt to elevate your opinions above everyone elses.

No wonder people hate atheists. Equallty is for other people; How DARE you suggest that I am not better than everyone else!!

Then why don't you volunteer to fix the damage? It couldn't be any easier than fixing graffiti off a brick wall which is a horrible amount of work for someone other than you to properly clean up.

The proper punishment would be to make those responsible help fix the damage. Then they might think twice about vandalizing other property in the future when they realize how much needless work this stupidity created.

Then why don't you volunteer to fix the damage?
Because I live on the other side of the planet. It's a very long walk to Stonehenge from here.
It couldn't be any easier than fixing graffiti off a brick wall which is a horrible amount of work for someone other than you to properly clean up.
Yes, it is. It's also a commonplace response to petty crime, and unworthy of international attention.
The proper punishment would be to make those responsible help fix the damage. Then they might think twice about vandalizing other property in the future when they realize how much needless work this stupidity created.
I wish I had thought of that, and already posted it in this thread.

Oh, wait:

Hopefully the perpetrators will be caught and made to clean up their mess, or sent the bill for the cleanup if it's already been done.

Now I just wish you had bothered to find out what I thought, by reading my words, rather than going off half cocked and making wildly false assumptions about what I might think, after a cursory scan of a tiny part of what I wrote.

Self-sabotage. Destruction is not discussion. Idiots.

I rather suspect that a lot of supposedly leftist protest is actually sponsored by the right.
I have no idea who sponsored this huge act of vandalism.
But I am totally good with the perps getting a few years in the slammer.
Maybe get a couple of weeks off if they give up the folks who supported them, well enough to get those people in the slammer...
Tom

Back
Top Bottom