• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Vault 7....For all we know the CIA may have hacked the Democrats

Firefox isn't what it used to be, even security wise. Although some of their 3rd party add ons can make some pretty layered defenses.

There seem to be some good options based on Chrome. If Google has an arrangement with the NSA or FBI or CIA that precludes it from fixing the vulnerabilities then something like Avira Scout is less likely to. That's what I use. Not that i was overly concerned but it works fine.

https://www.avira.com/en/avira-scout

Cyber Firm Rewrites Part of Disputed Russian Hacking Report

WASHINGTON —
U.S. cybersecurity firm CrowdStrike has revised and retracted statements it used to buttress claims of Russian hacking during last year's American presidential election campaign. The shift followed a VOA report that the company misrepresented data published by an influential British think tank.

https://medium.com/@jeffreycarr/the...ack-that-may-never-have-happened-820960bbb02d

The GRU, according to Crowdstrike, developed a variant of X-Agent to infect an Android mobile app in order to geolocate and destroy Ukraine’s D-30 howitzers. To do this, they chose an artillery app which had no way to send or receive data, and wrote malware for it that didn’t ask for GPS position information? Bitch, please.

Crowdstrike never contacted the app’s developer to inform him about their findings. Had they performed that simple courtesy, they might have learned from Jaroslav Sherstuk how improbable, if not impossible, their theory was. Instead, they worked inside of their own research bubble, performed no verification of infected applications or tablets used by Ukraine’s artillery corps, and extrapolated an effect of 80% losses based upon a self-proclaimed, pro-Russian propagandist and an imaginary number of infected applications.

Major media outlets including the The Washington Post, CNN, NBC News, and PBS Newshour ran the story without fact-checking a single detail. Motherboard, Forbes, SC Magazine, and other media did the same. Only VOA and Bloomberg took the time to question Crowdstrike’s claims and do some of their own investigating.
Sounds like parts of "Russians did it" report had no basis in reality whatsoever.

https://medium.com/@jeffreycarr/the...ack-that-may-never-have-happened-820960bbb02d

The GRU, according to Crowdstrike, developed a variant of X-Agent to infect an Android mobile app in order to geolocate and destroy Ukraine’s D-30 howitzers. To do this, they chose an artillery app which had no way to send or receive data, and wrote malware for it that didn’t ask for GPS position information? Bitch, please.

Crowdstrike never contacted the app’s developer to inform him about their findings. Had they performed that simple courtesy, they might have learned from Jaroslav Sherstuk how improbable, if not impossible, their theory was. Instead, they worked inside of their own research bubble, performed no verification of infected applications or tablets used by Ukraine’s artillery corps, and extrapolated an effect of 80% losses based upon a self-proclaimed, pro-Russian propagandist and an imaginary number of infected applications.

Major media outlets including the The Washington Post, CNN, NBC News, and PBS Newshour ran the story without fact-checking a single detail. Motherboard, Forbes, SC Magazine, and other media did the same. Only VOA and Bloomberg took the time to question Crowdstrike’s claims and do some of their own investigating.
Sounds like parts of "Russians did it" report had no basis in reality whatsoever.
But not the part where Russians did it. :rolleyes:

Did what?
CrowdStrike fabricated part of the report, what makes you think the rest is not fabricated?
By the way, founder of the firm is a guy who was born in Russia and has russian name.

I look forward to Jayjay not replying
Better not keep my fans waiting! Part of the report was discredited, but it was not the part about Russian hacking, only the scope of what was hacked. Besides I never even heard of this incident before reading this article so I'm not really feeling the need to argue strongly about it. Maybe the Russians hacked something, maybe they didn't.

Okay, so it wasn't Russia it was the CIA. Can anyone verify that?

The CIA is so good at being secret they question their own existence.

The CIA is so good at being secret they question their own existence.

And rightfully so!

I can't count the times I've gotten emails like this from the Secret Service (their field offices have the ability to make small purchases on their own):

Hello,
This is Roger Wilco from the Secret Service. I need a quote for seven of your item #XX-XXXX. Please include shipping costs.
rwilco@usss.gov

It's always fun writing back:

Hello Roger,

Your cost of item #XX-XXXX will be $437.50 each. I realize it may be a secret, but if you can tell me where you want it shipped, I can give you a formal quote with shipping costs.
Sincerely,

Elixir​

Back
Top Bottom