• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Vice Presidential Debate

starwater

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Moving to the 4th Dimension
I hope someone is doing a drinking game on how many times JD says Margaret or Nora.

Last edited:
Vance is very condescending when he talks about abortion. He says repugs need to do a better job but no specifics

Walz started slow but picked up. His discussion on abortion and health care was good. Vance tried to be the Trump splainer.

I will say Vance has an uphill battle because he has to make reasonable and rational besides himself. I think given that huge handicap, he isn’t a disaster. Apparently, Vance doesn’t understand the role of the VP since he thinks the VP legislates and makes policy.

I think Walz shone on families, health care and abortion.

So, on a scale of 1 to a billion, 1 being "beyond positive" and a billion being "like, fucking inevitable", how likely is it that Trump will say Vance won the debate?

So, on a scale of 1 to a billion, 1 being "beyond positive" and a billion being "like, fucking inevitable", how likely is it that Trump will say Vance won the debate?
Zero.

He's going to say a big strong tough guy, who looks tough, you know what I mean a tough guy with tattoos down his arms and has tears in his eyes, and you know he doesn't cry comes up to Trump and says whilst crying,

" Sir, sir KFC was so nasty to Vance and he still beat them, he beat them all I've never seen anything like it, it was like when the Terminator walked into the police station and killed all those cops and they couldn't stop him like they can't stop you sir but you are better than that phony Arnie sir I stopped watching The Apprentice after you left sir all my family did his ratings were so bad they nosedived like a shark that just ate a battery you're going to win sir"

...believe me.

The sad truth is there is a non zero chance I'm on the money.

I'm sharing the best summary of the debate, plus as usual Dana Milbank adds some much needed humor.

https://wapo.st/3XRIYXE

lodged a whiny protest.
“Margaret,” he said to moderator Margaret Brennan of CBS News, “the rules were that you guys weren’t going to fact-check!”

It was a lie on top of another lie, supplemented by a pair of other lies, in support of an even bigger lie.

There was no “rule” against fact-checking. And Vance had just told a whopper. He had alleged that, in Springfield, Ohio, “you’ve got schools that are overwhelmed, you’ve got hospitals that are overwhelmed, you have got housing that is totally unaffordable because we brought in millions of illegal immigrants.”
There is no “open border,” Kamala Harris isn’t the president, and the thousands of Haitian migrants to which Vance was referring have legal status, which Brennan had accurately pointed out. But Vance claimed that “what’s actually going on” was that the Haitian migrants are there as part of “the facilitation of illegal immigration” — and he kept going until the moderators shut off the candidates’ microphones.

It feels entirely appropriate that CBS chose to hold the vice-presidential debate in a studio once home to “Captain Kangaroo.”

For three decades beginning in the mid-1950s, the Captain, along with Mr. Green Jeans, Mr. Bunny Rabbit, Mr. Moose and other friends, regaled children with fantastic stories, a Magic Drawing Board, and cartoons featuring the likes of Tom Terrific, a shape-shifting boy who lived in a tree house and could transform himself into anything he wanted by using the funnel-shaped hat that sat on his head.
But Captain Kangaroo never conjured a figure quite so outlandish as JD Vance.
This shape-shifting boy has gone from being a never-Trump author who in 2016 compared the “reprehensible” Trump to Adolf Hitler, to a venture capitalist who in 2020 said Trump “thoroughly failed to deliver,” to the junior senator from Ohio who, as Trump’s running mate in 2024, worships the ground the former president walks on.

As a child who goes up watching the Captain, I loved that analogy. Hope some of you enjoy the piece.

Did not see all of it because life is short and I watched Only Murders in the Building in the middle. Walz seemed nervous a bit in the beginning but his confidence quickly increased. I found him relatable and well informed and articulate.

Vance came across as mean, condescending and not at all opposed to bending the truth, giving his impression of alpha male, I suppose. He seemed a bit out of touch with reality in a way that will appeal to MAGA dopes.

Walz blew it.
That’s my conclusion after not watching.
From the coverage, I’d say he got his butt kicked. When Joe and Mika are waxing apologetic, that’s pretty convincing by itself.
I don’t think America wants Mister Niceguy. I know for sure that ‘Murka doesn’t.
He’d have done well to confront the slimy fucker on his past statements re Trump. Or his inventing stories to call attention to invented stories. Or any of his slime.

None of Vance’s lies were called out afaik.
That failure is glaring to someone like me who didn’t even watch.
If any needles were moved I believe they moved to the right.

Walz blew it.
From the coverage, I’d say he got his butt kicked. When Joe and Mika are waxing apologetic, that’s pretty convincing by itself.
I don’t think America wants Mister Niceguy. I know for sure that ‘Murka doesn’t.
He’d have done well to confront the slimy fucker on his past statements re Trump. Or his inventing stories to call attention to invented stories. Or any of his slime.

Again Gish Gallop. The Stephan Miller lies from Trump/Vance will just get deflected somewhere else. They are expecting them to be called on it, and they'll have some quick zinger prepped. Nothing worse in a debate than getting illegitimately swiped (swhipped? ;)) at and dropping a rung.

From what I've read online, it was a Vance, maybe by a tad but really only because Trump had the bar so low. We've learned since 1988, the VP Debate doesn't mean crap.

I really doubt that Vance added any women voters to the repugs side. He came off very condescending to the woman moderators. Every time he said Margaret or Nora it sounded like, "now don't you worry your pretty little head."

He was all lies, lies, mistruth, more lies, lies and... lies which fell down around him to the swamp of MAGA alligator acolytes to pile up in the fetid fear based living they enjoy.

Walz was very nervous and I was waiting for Americas Dad to show up. He did okay in the end.

Walz blew it.

According to the reviews, Vance ‘won.’ The reviews always favor MAGA, no matter how poorly they perform.

But a Vance win isn’t what I saw. I saw someone who blatantly lied, disrespected the moderators and who showed flashes of a nasty temper when called out on his lies. He controlled himself but cracks were there. For many reasons I would not like to be his wife or kids but that temper flash I did not expect.

Walz was shaky in the first few minutes but did quite well after.

But a lot depends on how informed viewers are and how important they think the debate performance. Based on 2016 Hillary trouncing Trump quite handily, I don’t think k people actually care

Back
Top Bottom