• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Video: tech support scams explained

The way I explained it to my elderly parents: Microsoft and other tech companies will not call you out of the blue. They wait for you to call them, then do everything in their power to get you to give up before you get an actual human being on the phone, because if you talk to an actual human being, that costs them money.

There are extremely rare cases where your ISP (e.g. the cable company) will contact you if they have a botnet outbreak among customers that is generating too much traffic on their network, but for the most part, no one is going to call you out of the blue about a problem on your computer.

"ACCOUNT EXPIRING!"
"LOGIN NEEDED!"
"YOUR ACCOUNT IS AT RISK!"

... there must be ten or so iterations of this that hit our network every week. I keep sending notices to everyone on the domain to delete, then empty recycling bins...
I am amazed how lame most of them are. Today's winner came from a fucking Hotmail account... sheesh.

We had a spate of those calls in Ireland in the 2000s, purporting to be from Microsoft, and claiming that remotely, they had detected that my windows computer had a virus, and they would fix it if they just had my credit card number. They said it was because they had scanned my IP address, but when I asked them what my IP address was, they came up with 192.168.0.<something>, which is just absurd, as that address range is private-only, and cannot ever be seen on the internet. Also, I was using a VPN and DHCP, but also, I haven't used windoze since 2001, being a Linux user. They just tried a snow-job to get a credit card number. I kept them on the line for 10 minutes, just to have fun at their expense, then hung up.

We had a spate of those calls in Ireland in the 2000s, purporting to be from Microsoft, and claiming that remotely, they had detected that my windows computer had a virus, and they would fix it if they just had my credit card number. They said it was because they had scanned my IP address, but when I asked them what my IP address was, they came up with 192.168.0.<something>, which is just absurd, as that address range is private-only, and cannot ever be seen on the internet. Also, I was using a VPN and DHCP, but also, I haven't used windoze since 2001, being a Linux user. They just tried a snow-job to get a credit card number. I kept them on the line for 10 minutes, just to have fun at their expense, then hung up.

My parents are elderly and have a landline, so they get several "I'm from Microsoft and we detected a virus" calls per week.

I've never gotten such phone calls, but I've gotten a lot of online ads to that effect. Including ads that include fake graphics of scanning one's computer. Always assuming Windows, and I run OSX.

I've never gotten such phone calls, but I've gotten a lot of online ads to that effect. Including ads that include fake graphics of scanning one's computer. Always assuming Windows, and I run OSX.

What you're describing is  scareware, and web advertising seems to be the most common vector for that kind of infection.

My brother got a big spate of such scam calls about his Windows computer's malware and viruses. He runs Linux. he always started slow with them, and shifted the conversation to India's notorious lack of toilets. Fireworks generally ensue. Eventually they stopped calling.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-17377895

Is anybody really surprised that nearly half of India's 1.2 billion people have no toilet at home?

My brother got a big spate of such scam calls about his Windows computer's malware and viruses. He runs Linux. he always started slow with them, and shifted the conversation to India's notorious lack of toilets. Fireworks generally ensue. Eventually they stopped calling.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-17377895

Is anybody really surprised that nearly half of India's 1.2 billion people have no toilet at home?

So India is like a Trump rally? No wonder some Hindus are turning to fascism.

Back
Top Bottom