• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Visual imagination, dreams and visual hallucinations

excreationist

Married mouth-breather
Basic Beliefs
Probably in a simulation
uf5brm3to1e21.png

For my visual imagination it is #1 (but semi-spatial especially before my last hospitalisation). For my dreams it is #2. Since I had ECT treatments I started to occasionally have hallucinations in bed from #2 to #5.

Don't think mind's eye is involved. More likely one is seeing afterimage modulated by seeing of light coming through one's eyelid.

Never give ground to anyone who even vaguely broaches the topic of introspection. Such can never be more that a missing of actual variables essential to perceiving.

Awake - #2 at best, more like 1.5. Occasionally better, but it seems to be a rare random event.

Dreams - Probably #3, but there is the rare random event of a 6 happening. Maybe also long stretches of 0.

Of course, i'm processing my dream content when awake, so that rare dream 6 becomes a 1.5.

IIRC, it's thought that about 4% of people have aphantasia.

Moose

ABE - I think there is an earlier aphantasia topic somewhere at this forum.

Last edited:
#6. Same with dreams. If there is a red star in my dream, it looks like #6.

Exactly. Sometimes even more so.

I am actually somewhat surprised to find (in this thread) that this isn't normal. I thought everyone experienced dreams like me where everything was like real life even including sense of touch.

#6. Same with dreams. If there is a red star in my dream, it looks like #6.

Exactly. Sometimes even more so.

I am actually somewhat surprised to find (in this thread) that this isn't normal. I thought everyone experienced dreams like me where everything was like real life even including sense of touch.

Me, too. I would have thought, at most, that it's a small fraction of people who don't visualize color just like their eyeballs see it.

I remember learning that a lot of people dream in grayscale, which also surprised me.

Probably not necessarily one or the other. I get both dim, dark dreams in grey scale and lucid dreams in full Technicolor.

Me, too. I would have thought, at most, that it's a small fraction of people who don't visualize color just like their eyeballs see it.

I remember learning that a lot of people dream in grayscale, which also surprised me.

Interesting... this thread has caused me to re-visit some of the most memorable dreams I ever had. One dream, some 50 years ago, stuck with me. It wasn't totally grayscale, but not full color either. Mostly muted military colors and dull or fading light. It was also violent (gunfire, prison break), which is rare for my dreams. But the rest of them that I can recall were all in full technicolor.

Back
Top Bottom