• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Vive la France!

If by "him", you mean Hitler, he left Austria in 1913, renounced his Austrian citizenship in 1925, and became a German citizen in 1932. He hated Austria's multiethnic composition under the Habsburgs. He considered Austria proper to be a part of Germany. That's what the Anschluss was all about.
And? The court actions in question were in 1924.

And bilby was correct that German-speaking nativists, especially in Bavaria, tended to think of Austria and Germany as part of the same country. Hitler himself considered himself German and moved to annex Austria after he came to power.

Harry Bosch said:
Okay. I've been voting since 1986. Regan was the first republican in my lifetime who claimed that the deficit would go down under his watch. It didn't. It goes up with every republican administration. Every single one. And yet, most people assume that republicans are better at managing the deficit than dems. It's BS.

Similarly, The Tories have always borrowed more than Labour, and always repaid less :

The Tories are probably copying the Republican Two Santas Strategy:

"First, the Two Santas strategy dictates, when Republicans control the White House they must spend money like a drunken Santa and cut taxes to run up the U.S. debt as far and as fast as possible.
This produces three results: it stimulates the economy thus making people think that the GOP can produce a good economy; it raises the debt dramatically; and it makes people think that Republicans are the “tax-cut Santa Clauses.”
Second, when a Democrat is in the White House, Republicans must scream about the national debt as loudly and frantically as possible, freaking out about how “our children will have to pay for it!” and “we have to cut spending to solve the crisis!” Shut down the government, crash the stock market, and damage US credibility around the world if necessary to stop Democrats from spending money.
This will force the Democrats in power to cut their own social safety net programs and even Social Security, thus shooting their welfare-of-the-American-people Santa Claus right in the face."

It is a result of the 1980s. The conservatives sold this insane idea that austerity and lower taxes could make the world a better place. It stuck. The Democrats were able to get back into the White House by grasping the lower taxes and some less financial regulation mantra (oddly enough helping to create the '08 Great Recession). Thatcherism and Trickle Down economics has been proven to be an outright failure, but it is still very popular. If it wasn't for the moderate courts, we'd still have criminalized gay sex and gay marriage would likely only be legal in a few states. Moderate courts pushed America to the left, not the Democrats (who admittedly did put those justices on the courts).

Rupert Murdoch did a masterful job of making the western world more conservative, even if to their own determent.

I will say, I was surprised that even after the pains of Brexit, Britons apparently don't get they were lied to by the far-right. Then you see Derec's posts and you understand why. They've been deluded into thinking it isn't their fault for voting for that crap, it is the migrant horde. Fuck we're screwed. We've lost. The End Game just needs to finish up.
I hope that you're not saying that conservatives in the US practiced "austerity"! They've increased spending every time they took power. Did the Torries really practice austerity? I'm not an expert here (someone please correct me); but I did a quick google search on this and see that spending went up during their rule. Spending went up, taxes down, deficit higher. There is this perception out there that conservatives are more financially responsible because they advocate less borrowing. However, whenever I look at the facts, I see the oppositive.
The guise of austerity. Taking from the food and healthcare programs, from the poor and disabled.

Back
Top Bottom