• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Vote suppression -- now we have some evidence of the effects

Sure did. But are you referring to the 2/3 compromise, the poll taxes, or the recent cases where a clear effort was being made to make it harder for certain people to vote?
Point taken...
There is no "point taken" if there is a but to follow it.
, but still,
*sigh*
...if those actions stands good as drawing first blood, it's still the case that it's about race, and since it's about race, and if we're going to be reminded of it at every turn, then why not respond in like kind?
Well, you need to remember, there is history involved. And the US Government had to intervene in several southern states (and a couple northern ones) to restrict those states from enacting legislation with the designed purpose of restricting access to the poll for some people (hint, they were black). Recently, the Supreme Court pulled the US Government out of that game and immediately we saw southern states (and a few northern... all led by a certain party) enact legislation that restricted access to the polls. Some states like North Carolina were overtly attempted to prevent certain people from voting (hint, most of them are black), to the point their new laws were ax'd b the courts.

The link provided by the OP (original poster) in the OP (original post) starts out explicitly stating the woman's race. I didn't do that.
No you didn't. Of course, her inability to vote was set into motion by representatives in the state that wanted to keep people like her out of the voting booths. And they succeeded. I'm sorry you seem offended that race is what is driving these laws to be passed. Maybe you should be complaining to those passing these laws.

Sure did. But are you referring to the 2/3 compromise, the poll taxes, or the recent cases where a clear effort was being made to make it harder for certain people to vote?
Point taken, but still, if those actions stands good as drawing first blood, it's still the case that it's about race, and since it's about race, and if we're going to be reminded of it at every turn, then why not respond in like kind?

The link provided by the OP (original poster) in the OP (original post) starts out explicitly stating the woman's race. I didn't do that. The author of the article did that, and the OP chooses an article that does that. Bilby, in post #3, makes it abundantly clear that it's about race. We can't take a shit without it somehow someway negatively affecting blacks. It's a no win situation, for even if there is no true underlying racist motive, anything that can be construed to be negatively affecting them will still be considered racist. I don't think everything that happens is based on race, but if it's going to be thrown about, why not keep track?

I'm sorry if it somehow comes across negatively, but I think the race connection is overly done in contemporary reports.
Regardless, US federal courts have ruled against a number of the voter ID because of thetheir of their obvious targeting by race(https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/08/03/courts-are-finally-pointing-out-the-racism-behind-voter-id-laws/).

Back
Top Bottom