• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Vote suppression -- now we have some evidence of the effects

Not including travel expenses or the day off work required to actually get there. Did you feel those aren't relevant?
Even then, if your licence is suspended you cannot get an ID.

I think our fee for real ID is $50

Additional on top of what? Their word?

Every person who votes has already registered to vote. Most states even issue a voter registration card.

The additional requirements are set using a complex algorithm taking into account general appearance, socio-economic status, skin color, political leanings and the subjective judgment of the local election judge...
exactly

Smart? We have seen in several states, attempts to make it harder to vote for certain demographics. North Carolina was so obvious based on what type of IDs they'd accept, which indicated which groups of people they were attempt to restrict access to the polls.

Can you give an example of the type of id that was "so obvious[sic] based" on disenfranchising "certain demographics"?

Sure.

Allowing gun licenses as ID but not college student ID

I've done all of these things without ID.
I've never had a problem.
I've even crossed international borders and went through customs without an ID.

47599139.jpg

The point in NY is that a great many Democratic voters in NYC do not own cars or drive, because public transportation is cheaper and more convenient.
Only 44% of households in NYC have a car, but that does not mean that many people who do not currently own a car do not have a DL. Driving is still a good skill to have.

They don't usually need the ID except to vote.
Or do anything that requires people to id themselves. Opening a bank account, entering government buildings, renting an apartment, entering bars/buying alcohol. And if police stop you and want to write you a ticket, they'll arrest you if you can't id yourself.

Those who live upstate or out on the island (i.e. in more Republican-infested areas) do need the drivers license. It isn't an insurmountable barrier to get the non-driver ID, but nor is it a high priority in the lives of most people.
I think the number of people without a dl or id is very small, even in NYC. And most of those lack id because they are lazy (like LordKirian), not because of any real barrier.

How is it, as a admitted criminal should you be allowed to vote?
Your obsessions are not healthy. Travel to a free country, get a lap dance, and relax.

Are you denying that you are a criminal. Should criminals be allowed to vote?

Regarding the lap dance I don´t need to rape slaves from third world countries to get my kicks.

Are you denying that you are a criminal.
Yes. The laws against sex work are clearly unconstitutional based on reasoning in Lawrence v. Texas and Roe v. Wade SCOTUS decisions.
Should criminals be allowed to vote?
Depends on the severity of the crime. In the US it is only felons who are not allowed to vote. And you have to be convicted too - allegations of crimes by obsessed Icelanders in dire need of a lap dance do not count. :)
Regarding the lap dance I don´t need to rape slaves from third world countries to get my kicks.
You seriously think strippers are "rape slaves from third world"? The ridiculous feminazi propaganda is clearly working on you.
Perhaps (and to bring it even slightly back on topic) people who believe nonsensical things like this or that the Earth is flat or something should not be allowed to vote.

1. I walk or use public transit. Its doesn't offer easy access to everything (Notably, government offices) but my immediate needs are all within a mile's walk. Note this is not true for everyone.
2. Most minimum wage jobs do not pay their employees in checks actually.
I think it depends on the size of employer.
Most direct deposit into a debit card as an option and this is usually the go to,
But those cards have fees. Would it not be better to get id, open a bank account and direct deposit into it?
especially in poor urban environments where people don't have easy access to something like a bank.
Even "poor urban environments" have many banks.
3. I reserve drinking for social occasions in private.
You need id to buy alcohol from a store as well.
4. I guess not, as I can't remember the last time merely entering a building required me to identify myself.
Government buildings often do.
5. 25, and I'll say that the reason I don't have an ID isn't because I don't want one, its because actually getting one proves incredibly difficult if your means are limited as mine are. This is why voter ID laws disenfranchise the poor.
If you really wanted one, you'd have gotten one years ago. What is "incredibly difficult" about gathering a few documents and going down to the DL place.
And while you're at it, why did you never bother to learn to drive and get an actual DL?
6. I just did. Not everybody owns identification and if they don't then its not always because they merely wish to 'remain off the grid'.
No, but vast majority do.
If you ask me, state ID (At least for the first time!) should be provided at cost.
Well states that have voter id requirements mostly provide id for free. And in states that don't they're still pretty affordable.
Not sure what the cost of making the id, staffing the DDS locations etc. all cost. Do you?

7. Except not really. In reality, your real ID is your SSC which is problematic for a whole host of reasons
A SS card is not a photo id.

But you can use an expired DL to vote. You just can't drive yourself to the polling place.

I think our fee for real ID is $50

In Minnesota, driver's licenses are $25-44 depending on class. ID only is just $19.25. Certainly not an exorbitant expense.

That's more than three hours work at minimum wage.

Since some are having a hard time grasping just how difficult obtaining an ID can be let me tell you of my current living situation. I've told this story in part before but to reiterate:
Brace-Yourself-Meme-The-Sad-Stories-Are-Coming.jpg
My boyfriend and I currently live in the upstairs of a three story house, caring for his elderly parents. In return we are given a place to live without charge. Beyond that, we meet day to day expenses with his disability which comes up to around 700 a month.
So you are not working (not even part time) and are mooching off your disabled boyfriend (how old is he anyway?) and his elderly parents. I hope you are at least a good lay. I mean, you are a young guy (or girl? Not sure any more) and supposedly able-bodied since you are not getting any disability of your own. So, to quote Offspring, why don't you get a job?
But being jobless and all should give you plenty of free time to get an id. Or even better, learn to drive and get a proper license. Both would open up options to you that you currently do not have.
We still have to buy a lot of our own food and various domestic goods
giphy.gif
I can feel your hardship, bro. Having to buy food and domestic goods - the struggle is real!
And I still have a hard time getting an ID. I have a hard time because the nearest dmv is over 20 miles away and only gives out IDs on certain days of the week, and he doesn't drive or own a car either, so if I were to get down there I would either have to find someone in our community willing to help me out, or walk two miles to the bus terminal, wait god knows how long for a bus that would take me there and then find a way back home because there may or may not be a bus to bring me back.
With all the free time on your hands, you could definitely do that.
Now Derec in particular, I want you to do something for me.
Give you a ride?

I want you to imagine that you were in my position, but you did not have the fortune to not have to pay rent, or utility bills.
Get a job maybe?
I want you to imagine that instead of a partner who has the benefit of a disability check, you have a partner in otherwise good health.
That'd be great! Then she could work too! Two incomes and no money to have to spent on hookers, ka-ching!
I want you to imagine that the community in which you live does not always have access to amenities you find in suburban america (Grocery stores, banks, ect.)
Urban America has these amenities too. Rural America for that matter too, but they are more spread out, so you definitely need a motorized conveyance.
Most importantly I want you to imagine that the benefactors are replaced with complete dependents that do nothing on their own to improve your lot in life (Children usually) And while you might receive government assistance in one or many forms, this only helps cover your bases barely.
Between tax exemptions for dependents, EITC, child tax credit, food stamps (benefits and income limits are higher if you have kids), housing allowance etc. the benefits people get just for procreating are quite generous. And I still don't see how any of that prevents you from going down to DDS once every 4-6 years.
And now, even though you're in a dire situation where every penny counts, imagine that just before the next election the local government dictates that you must have a 'Valid' ID which was just (Totally coincidentally I'm sure) recently changed. How do you afford this new expenditure (Because that's just what the American poor need.) just to exercise your right to vote?
- if the change of law is right before an election it will not go into effect until the next election.
- I'd have a DL or at least proper id because, as I have already said, it's a good idea to have one for more than voting .

But you can use an expired DL to vote. You just can't drive yourself to the polling place.

In Minnesota, driver's licenses are $25-44 depending on class. ID only is just $19.25. Certainly not an exorbitant expense.

That's more than three hours work at minimum wage.

Also, it's more like 2.5h. Not really a significant expense (especially compared with benefits of having proper id) every few years. It's less expensive than one hair or nail appointment and about the same as a 12-pack of good beer or 24-pack of cheap stuff.

Last edited:
View attachment 12920
My boyfriend and I currently live in the upstairs of a three story house, caring for his elderly parents. In return we are given a place to live without charge. Beyond that, we meet day to day expenses with his disability which comes up to around 700 a month.
So you are not working (not even part time) and are mooching off your disabled boyfriend (how old is he anyway?) and his elderly parents. I hope you are at least a good lay. I mean, you are a young guy (or girl? Not sure any more) and supposedly able-bodied since you are not getting any disability of your own. So, to quote Offspring, why don't you get a job?
But being jobless and all should give you plenty of free time to get an id. Or even better, learn to drive and get a proper license. Both would open up options to you that you currently do not have.
We still have to buy a lot of our own food and various domestic goods
View attachment 12919
I can feel your hardship, bro. Having to buy food and domestic goods - the struggle is real!
And I still have a hard time getting an ID. I have a hard time because the nearest dmv is over 20 miles away and only gives out IDs on certain days of the week, and he doesn't drive or own a car either, so if I were to get down there I would either have to find someone in our community willing to help me out, or walk two miles to the bus terminal, wait god knows how long for a bus that would take me there and then find a way back home because there may or may not be a bus to bring me back.
With all the free time on your hands, you could definitely do that.
Now Derec in particular, I want you to do something for me.
Give you a ride?

I want you to imagine that you were in my position, but you did not have the fortune to not have to pay rent, or utility bills.
Get a job maybe?
I want you to imagine that instead of a partner who has the benefit of a disability check, you have a partner in otherwise good health.
That'd be great! Then she could work too! Two incomes and no money to have to spent on hookers, ka-ching!
I want you to imagine that the community in which you live does not always have access to amenities you find in suburban america (Grocery stores, banks, ect.)
Urban America has these amenities too. Rural America for that matter too, but they are more spread out, so you definitely need a motorized conveyance.
Most importantly I want you to imagine that the benefactors are replaced with complete dependents that do nothing on their own to improve your lot in life (Children usually) And while you might receive government assistance in one or many forms, this only helps cover your bases barely.
Between tax exemptions for dependents, EITC, child tax credit, food stamps (benefits and income limits are higher if you have kids), housing allowance etc. the benefits people get just for procreating are quite generous. And I still don't see how any of that prevents you from going down to DDS once every 4-6 years.
And now, even though you're in a dire situation where every penny counts, imagine that just before the next election the local government dictates that you must have a 'Valid' ID which was just (Totally coincidentally I'm sure) recently changed. How do you afford this new expenditure (Because that's just what the American poor need.) just to exercise your right to vote?
- if the change of law is right before an election it will not go into effect until the next election.
- I'd have a DL or at least proper id because, as I have already said, it's a good idea to have one for more than voting .

too judgmental bra

Back
Top Bottom