• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Voting Today

Horatio Parker

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Platonist
I went with my morning person wife to vote at the local HS here in the Bronx at 6am. Business was brisk in a convivial atmosphere. People were expressing relief. No Trump poll-watchers(no surprise there).

My MIL did the food shopping Saturday, and said the store was crazy because people were laying in extra groceries in case of ED trouble.

Voting now in Mason, Ohio. Longest line to vote I've ever waited in. I've never waited more than about ten minutes. This looks like it will be at least forty-five.

I went with my morning person wife to vote at the local HS here in the Bronx at 6am. Business was brisk in a convivial atmosphere. People were expressing relief. No Trump poll-watchers(no surprise there).

My MIL did the food shopping Saturday, and said the store was crazy because people were laying in extra groceries in case of ED trouble.

I'm sorry, but what does ED stand for? Electile Dysfunction?

Election Day

y'know: voting, Trump poll watchers etc

My wife and I went to the polls just after 6AM this morning. This marked the first time she has ever voted in 45 years. As usual, there was no line at the polling place, but it appeared they had a few more booths set up than usual. There was one electronic voting machine (last cycle there were two, I wonder why there were less this year), the rest were paper ballots. I opted for paper as usual, my wife stood in line for the electronic machine. There were two people in front of her. One of them had difficulty using the machine, so I had to wait a few minutes for her to cast her vote. I ended up talking with one of the poll workers as he directed voters to the check in desk for their district (our polling place covers two districts). He said that voting seemed to be up slightly from the last presidential election, but down a bit from Obama's first presidential run. It seemed that way to me as well, as I actually stood in line for about 5 minutes waiting for a booth in 2008.

Damn, damn, damn....now I can't poke at this with an ED joke...how deflating.

PS We dropped off our ballot a week ago at one of Oregon's drop boxes...

Went early today, got it all done within 30 minutes of polls opening, had a cordial conversation with my accross the alley neighbors in line, though I suspect at least one of them was there to vote for Trump. No politics discussed in the voting line. People in line looked notably more anxious than 4 years ago.

No real concern for either Clinton or Ellison though. Minnesota is polling unusually close for presidential, but not THAT close.

Took my kids with me as I always have. Realized this was the last time they would NOT be voters. Next time they are both over 18. Steady stream of people, but no line, voting as fast as we arrive (one paper-ballot-eating machine). NO poll watchers, but it was only 7am, so they were probably still feeding the cows.

My town is certain to go red, as always, but I watch for changes in percentage. Last election it was about 3:1 Republican.

I am going to vote at 4:30 after my wife gets home from work. Possibly the only advantage of being disabled and having to use a wheelchair is not having to stand in line to vote.

A friend told me that it took him more than an hour to vote this morning in the same precinct and polling place that I vote in. I am voting in suburban Atlanta this year. This is normally a reliable Republican district and this high turn out would normally be bad news for Clinton, but it also has a large percentage of college graduates, so who knows?

There are no yard signs in my neighborhood. This is very unusual. I remember in the primaries there were a lot of them, mostly for Republican candidates but none for Trump. Even our one libertarian didn't put out the signs for people that you never heard of in his yard. And he got a ticket from the code enforcement for having an excessive number of signs in his yard in 2012. He had about twenty of them that year.

When I arrived at my polling place this morning at 9, there was a line out the door and halfway down the front of the building. The poll workers had it running like a well-oiled machine, though, and I was out the door 30 minutes later. No "poll watchers," a minimum number of last ditch campaigners, and everyone was really friendly.

Regarding signs, there's none in my neighborhood at all, but I noticed something interesting about the roadside signs. I live in a pretty middle class area, and every inch of the nearest major intersection is jam packed with campaign signs. When I take the surface streets to work (sometimes it is faster than the freeway), I travel through quite a few lower income neighborhoods. Sign count? Almost nothing. For an election year where both parties are pretending to care about struggling Americans, they sure weren't spending a lot of time advertising in those neighborhoods.

No line at all. Was able to walk straight in, be helped without a wait, and cast my vote.

Polling in the Northern Marianas will not participate & Guam shoud have closed. Puerto Rico in about an hour.

EDIT TO ADD:: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ry-clinton-overwhelmingly-wins-guam/93471844/

Later,
ElectEngr

The first voters in the nation have spoken, and they want Hillary Clinton for president.

Clinton 50%, Trump 25%
This is YUUUUGE!

Was this the first three who were interviewed? The winner will be the least unpopular candidate.

Was this the first three who were interviewed? The winner will be the least unpopular candidate.

So cynical, wp... no, they were NOT "the first three who were interviewed".
No - This was an entire town. There were 8 voters. 4 for Clinton, 2 for Trump, 1 for Johnson and some fool wrote in Mitt Romney.
Now you're going to complain that this is not a representative cross-section of the electorate, I suppose...

Same here. Lots of people there at 6:30 a.m., but everything moved quickly and smoothly. Got my sticker and was out of there within five minutes. Volunteers were great.

I was wondering why Wegman's was so busy tonight. I would expect this the week before Thanksgiving but not today. Are the Fox viewers being fed fearful end of times bullshit or something? This is the first I've heard about people acting like a blizzard is coming if Hillary wins.

Back
Top Bottom