• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Walmart to cut health insurance to its employees

An interesting point I ran into elsewhere:

This might actually be good for the employees.

While they offered insurance the worker had to pay most of the premium. If they don't offer it at all they're eligible to get insurance off the exchanges--and given the low income most of them are at that insurance will be subsidized. The cost of their insurance likely will go down.

Did anyone figure the hit the low income workers would take? Paying the whole thing, even with some sort of modest subsidy will probably lower their wages even further.

Employer offered health insurance should be made illegal.
I think that that's excessive. Instead, it should be deprived of any tax breaks and other such privileges that it currently gets.

Come on, give the poor old Walton family a break, they are down to their last 140 billion dollars between them, they need that 170 million for their loose change tin. What's a poor person gonna do with a 170 million, they would only waste it

It should be a privilege to work for such a rich family

I hate Walmart and I only shop there if there is no other alternative. But the title of the post and the criticism is way out of line. They are only eliminating coverage for part time workers who work between 25-30 hours per week. They are one of the very few that even offered coverage for part timers and they are one of last of that group to eliminate the coverage. You guys are like the police that framed OJ Simpson by planting blood on the sock. There is enough evidence to convict Walmart of being A, #1, king of the hill crappy company, you don't need to make fake stuff up....

Come on, give the poor old Walton family a break, they are down to their last 140 billion dollars between them, they need that 170 million for their loose change tin. What's a poor person gonna do with a 170 million, they would only waste it

It should be a privilege to work for such a rich family

Something that has always been obvious to me about insurance in the first place. Our society in the aggregate faces all kinds of risks and when these risks are addressed all together the efficiency of insurance of all kinds is more efficiently managed. When companies sell insurance, they begin to truncate the data and make it harder for a government to assess just what the risk actually is. I feel we could read the preamble to our constitution for guidance on who should be the ultimate insurer..."to promote the general welfare."

The purpose of insurance is the pooling of the risks of the citizenry. When the government assumes for instance the role of land use planning, this is done to minimize risks. City, county, state, and federal land use plans contain concepts such as buffer zones between industrial and residential areas and the like to minimize the risks to the general population from hazardous operations. When this planning goes awry and it causes illness or perhaps a lot of deaths, it is a result of poor risk management by the government. A government charged with promoting the general welfare should indeed bear the responsibility of its management. In assuming the responsibility for this planning, the government assumes the power to delegate risks to its constituency. With these powers there should be an attached obligation...to insure that its decisions always promote the general welfare, and in the event it errs and causes losses to the general population in terms of its welfare, it should adjust its actions and make the injured parties whole.

This can be done through taxation and allocation of taxes to ameliorate losses that accrue to the public as a result of its planning and assumption of risk. Insurance companies only exist because our government is not a whole and responsible party. It does not have to be this way. Insurance should not be a profitable business as it actually does not have a clearly defined function only serving as a backup to diverse actual systems in our economy.

For instance, insurance companies do not build flood control projects, provide energy, etc. etc. They are not primary producers of goods or services. Insurance should be the province of government. Private for profit insurance companies make their profits in the main by not fully compensating losses commensurate with the funds they receive. They have become the arbiters of the value of losses and their so-called actuarial tables have come to reflect not just the losses they incur but also the profits they take. Non profit government insurance would be the best option for a society's economy in all cases. Somehow, we have lost track of the purpose of government and we have come to regard it as just another corporation competing with other corporations.

Not just health insurance, but all insurance can be provided far more economically by publicly owned agencies. This seems to me a no brainer. Private insurance giants only exist due to failure of government to function properly. Our current system of medical insurance is an outrage in my eyes because it is incomplete and has extreme leakage of pooled funds to profit takers in all quarters.

I frankly do not know why Walmart should object to publicly owned government medical insurance. It would in fact reduce their costs....unless they were invested in insurance companies, in which case that would increase their costs. Of course, they would have to pay their fair share of the taxes.:thinking:

An interesting point I ran into elsewhere:

This might actually be good for the employees.

While they offered insurance the worker had to pay most of the premium. If they don't offer it at all they're eligible to get insurance off the exchanges--and given the low income most of them are at that insurance will be subsidized. The cost of their insurance likely will go down.

And once again, the taxpayer is used to increase the profits of an already profitable corporation.

Why are you so in favor of big government?

Did anyone figure the hit the low income workers would take? Paying the whole thing, even with some sort of modest subsidy will probably lower their wages even further.

I don't think we have the data to figure it.

You certainly lack the data since you're calling the subsidy "modest"--when at the low end the actual amount of the subsidy is the majority of the premium.

- - - Updated - - -

I hate Walmart and I only shop there if there is no other alternative. But the title of the post and the criticism is way out of line. They are only eliminating coverage for part time workers who work between 25-30 hours per week. They are one of the very few that even offered coverage for part timers and they are one of last of that group to eliminate the coverage. You guys are like the police that framed OJ Simpson by planting blood on the sock. There is enough evidence to convict Walmart of being A, #1, king of the hill crappy company, you don't need to make fake stuff up....

Most of the Wal-Mart bashing is like this--made up.

You certainly lack the data since you're calling the subsidy "modest"--when at the low end the actual amount of the subsidy is the majority of the premium.

- - - Updated - - -

Loren: The hearings in the Yucca Valley Town Council were not MADE UP. The shriveling of the existing businesses in that town is not MADE UP. Walmart is not a good neighbor. Walmart employees on the County welfare roles is NOT MADE UP.

I take it you always shop at Walmart?

Walmart withdrew an employee benefit and told those employees where to buy replacement policies. No benefit means no contribution. No contribution from Walmart means the employee needs to replace his coverage and pay for the whole thing himself. That amounts to less disposable income for the employee. It's as easy as taking candy from a baby. They are good at that.

- - - Updated - - -

Bologna. WalMart DID cancel the Health Insurance of its PT workers. They put profit over people AGAIN. I don't care if they're the 1st or the 100th to do it, they did it. This is not made-up bashing or fake contrary to what you and Hara say.

Obamacare will have to fill in.

Is that the real reason? Why pay for something when the state is?

And in Britain we have something called "National Insurance"

And Insurance used to be provided by non-profits, anyone know position now?

- - - Updated - - -

Bologna. WalMart DID cancel the Health Insurance of its PT workers. They put profit over people AGAIN. I don't care if they're the 1st or the 100th to do it, they did it. This is not made-up bashing or fake contrary to what you and Hara say.

Did you ever have a part time job with health insurance? I don't want to defend Walmart as I find them despicable. But the title of the thread is so misleading as to be dishonest. If you are one of the few companies in the country doing something you can't be excoriated for doing what everyone else does. They do enough wrong to carp about, this isn't one of those things.

Back
Top Bottom