• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Water.

The usual process is to pump the brine back into the ocean. The amounts of fresh water we can extract are literally a drop in the ocean, and make no appreciable difference to the salinity of the seawater. That's a good idea; the easiest way to make it happen is to charge farmers the full cost of purifying and supplying the fresh water they use - if they can stay in business without making those changes once they are paying full price, then no further action is needed.

Given what I just posted the cost to farmers would go right through the roof since even while they don't pay for making water drinkable or essentially germ free they pay less than their rightful costs even good times. Their rates are about 0% of what cities pay by my quick calcs (about $2925 per acre foot in speederfundus versus about a maximum of $1000/acre ft. in the central valley (Fresno) down to $140 per acre ft prior to the drought. So speeederfundus people pay from three times to about 20 times what Fresno farmers pay.

Here's the part that important though. If we presume that water goes from about 5% to 20% of costs for producing food we can expect most food prices to jump by at least 50% even with increased foreign supply. Now speederfundus types have their grocery bills increased by about 40% or to over $400 a month for a family of three.

I believe we'd gladly pay a 25% ($5) bit more for water to get more water to the the farmers to relieve us of the added $15 a month we pay at Shittymart. So bring on the desalination micro plant.

The farmers can keep using the river water, if they don't need to reserve some for the use of the cities downstream.

I agree that farmers underpay; but that is tangential to my argument.

The usual process is to pump the brine back into the ocean. The amounts of fresh water we can extract are literally a drop in the ocean, and make no appreciable difference to the salinity of the seawater.
If it were evenly distributed, then yes, it would be just a drop in the ocean, but there's no economical way of doing that. It's dumped at site and creates a dead zone.

The usual process is to pump the brine back into the ocean. The amounts of fresh water we can extract are literally a drop in the ocean, and make no appreciable difference to the salinity of the seawater.
If it were evenly distributed, then yes, it would be just a drop in the ocean, but there's no economical way of doing that. It's dumped at site and creates a dead zone.

Sure. But the size of that dead zone is minuscule; it is a figurative drop in the ocean.

The farmers can keep using the river water, if they don't need to reserve some for the use of the cities downstream.

I agree that farmers underpay; but that is tangential to my argument.

Uh, no they can't. We have sport fishing here on the west coast of Bloatedland so farmers must be restricted.

Last edited:
Except that none of the costs you mention apply to the scenario I was describing. You clearly either haven't understood what I was discussing, or have no grasp of the engineering details of the two scenarios.

Your objections are irrelevant.

You might find this add instructive.

From the sea to your house: post-treatment of desalinated water

http://www.theenergyofchange.com/sea-house-post-treatment-of-desalinated-water

BTW: The San Fernando Valley has some of the best tasting water in the world thanks to people like me who studied things like taste before becoming scientists for the guvNamint.

Last edited:
What about the imminent and permanent loss of just about ALL glaciers and snowpack in mountains, like from California all the way to British Columbia?

What about the imminent and permanent loss of just about ALL glaciers and snowpack in mountains, like from California all the way to British Columbia?

Ever wonder why modern discoverers called it Greenland?  Medieval Warm Period Were glaciers going away then as well?

Do you actually think it is permanent?

Ever wonder why modern discoverers called it Greenland?  Medieval Warm Period Were glaciers going away then as well?

Do you actually think it is permanent?

Actually, Erik the Red called it Greenland in order to attract settlers, not because it was actually green. The icesheet of greenland is 400,000 years old; meaning that Greenland was not significantly different when the vikings or later europeans showed up there.

Back
Top Bottom