• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What an idiot!

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
An Atlanta city council member and mayoral candidate had his Merc stolen while at an event in the hood.
He previously attended #BLM anti-police protests and he voted to defund ATLPD and is now defending the car thieves and will not be pressing charges.

Thieves steal car of mayoral candidate Antonio Brown'

The article does not say in what condition the car was found. But obviously by letting this go, he is merely encouraging those twerps to do it again to somebody else.

The article does not say in what condition the car was found. But obviously by letting this go, he is merely encouraging those twerps to do it again to somebody else.
Or that he thinks that putting these kids in juvenile detention isn't going to lead to anything but a life of crime.

There seems to be many people that like punishing. Punishment for its own sake doesn't provide a value to society. The goal is to get these kids to never do this again. This stuff is more complicated than simply arrest, charge, detain, justice.

...by letting this go, ...

In the video, he says that the perps were 12 and 13 year olds and one was 6 or 7 and further he said he wanted to hold them "accountable" by putting them in "diversionary programs."

Derec said:
...he is merely encouraging those twerps to do it again to somebody else.

I'm not going to defend his stance, but it seems like his opinion is that putting them in diversionary programs will mitigate that risk, rather than creating risk of cops shooting them or making them career criminals by putting the youth in juvie. My main point, though, is that your conclusion is based on a premise of that he is "letting this go," but instead and in reality he is not letting it go, but instead has a different opinion of how to handle it than you have.

Here is additional evidence that placing youth in diversionary programs is not equivalent to "letting this go:"

THE EFFECT OF YOUTH DIVERSION PROGRAMS ON RECIDIVISM

Pre- and postcharge diversion programs have been used as a formal intervention strategy for youth offenders since the 1970s. This meta-analysis was conducted to shed some light on whether diversion reduces recidivism at a greater rate than traditional justice system processing and to explore aspects of diversion programs associated with greater reductions in recidivism. Forty-five diversion evaluation studies reporting on 73 programs were included in the meta-analysis. The results indicated that diversion is more effective in reducing recidivism than conventional judicial interventions. Moderator analysis revealed that both study- and program-level variables influenced program effectiveness. Of particular note was the relationship between program-level variables (e.g., referral level) and the risk level targeted by programs (e.g., low or medium/high). Further research is required implementing strong research designs and exploring the role of risk level on youth diversion effectiveness.

Emphasis added. Again, I'm not trying to debate the value of diversion programs, but instead that he has an informed opinion of what to do and that ought not be classified by you as "letting this go," since he clearly says he is doing things differently than you think he should.

I think it is intellectually dishonest to claim he is letting this go and instead you should have offered up a debate on the merits of the different ways of handling youth who commit crimes as it applies to this context of 12-13 year olds and a 6 year old stealing a car. I also am not looking to have such a debate. Not interested. Sorry. I just want you to present the other side in an unbiased way and open up the subject to others without poisoning the well and propagandizing it.

Do you think you can just simply concede that from his perspective based on at least some evidence in his mind, he is not letting this go?

Brown states that it is time that "we" start addressing the problem. I think the problem was he left the key fob in the car. Otherwise how else did the kid manage to start the car ?

I think the problem was he left the key fob in the car. Otherwise how else did the kid manage to start the car ?
All too possible, I don't claim to know. But with modern cars things get complicated. Plenty of modern cars will start if a key fob is anywhere close. I know a woman who keeps her key fob in the glove compartment, mostly, to avoid having to dig through her enormous purse to find them everytime she goes to start the car.

Nobody has ever stolen her car, yet.

But I know I could, if I happened to see her get out at the grocery store and wanted to do it.
Tom

I think the problem was he left the key fob in the car. Otherwise how else did the kid manage to start the car ?
All too possible, I don't claim to know. But with modern cars things get complicated. Plenty of modern cars will start if a key fob is anywhere close. I know a woman who keeps her key fob in the glove compartment, mostly, to avoid having to dig through her enormous purse to find them everytime she goes to start the car.

But I know I could, if I happened to see her get out at the grocery store and wanted to do it.
Tom

You're sounding kind of like O.J. here...I didn't do this, but, if if I did, here's how I would do it! :)

Tom

You're sounding kind of like O.J. here...I didn't do this, but, if if I did, here's how I would do it! :)

O.J.?

Isn't he the black guy who proved that American society has advanced so much since 1965 that black guys can get away with murder?
Tom

Where was The Squad when this guy's car was stolen? Do they have an alibi? If not, why aren't they considered suspects?

Interestingly, Mayoral Candidate Antonio Brown is actually a brown guy... and the article does not mention the skin color of the very young thieves.

Are you just assuming that all thieves must be black?

Last edited by a moderator:
Brown states that it is time that "we" start addressing the problem. I think the problem was he left the key fob in the car. Otherwise how else did the kid manage to start the car ?

Read the article. He didn't leave the fob in the car. He had it with him, but was near enough to the car for the keyless start to still work.

Tom

My car won't lock if the key is inside.

Get up every morning, find something some black guy did to be outraged over, come running here to tell us. Sounds richly rewarding, as a hobby. Me, I play guitar and paint.

Interestingly, Mayoral Candidate Antonio Brown is actually a brown guy... ...

Brown, a 35-year-old bisexual man, was the first Black member of the LGBTQ+ community elected to the council.
https://www.advocate.com/crime/2020...y-council-member-antonio-brown-indicted-fraud

The clue to the guy's race is in the first fucking post, people. You don't need to scour the internet to solve this mystery.

Read the article. He didn't leave the fob in the car. He had it with him, but was near enough to the car for the keyless start to still work.

I didn't seen any specific reference as to where the key fob was located in the article but I'll take your word for it. I guess it just depends on the manufacturer. My Honda won't start unless the key fob is actually inside the vehicle. If I exit the vehicle with the key fob and the engine is running, a warning "beep" sounds and the engine still runs. I'm not sure what would happen if someone should drive my car away when the key fob is not in it. I thought the dealer said the engine would cut out. Maybe that's why the thieves got some distance in Brown's car, the silly goose was close enough to his car with the key fob to allow the car to be driven and when Brown let go, the car made it a block down the road before the engine cut out.

Sorry, but I have to agree with Derec calling Antonio Brown an idiot. There is indeed some black youth that can not be reformed, but just as there are white people that can't be reformed (...) there are black people that can't as well. As such, it is possible Antonio Brown is an idiot in this case. It all depends on the juveniles in question and whether the method of punishment works. TBD

Sorry, but I have to agree with Derec calling Antonio Brown an idiot. There is indeed some black youth that can not be reformed, but just as there are white people that can't be reformed (...) there are black people that can't as well. As such, it is possible Antonio Brown is an idiot in this case. It all depends on the juveniles in question and whether the method of punishment works. TBD

The only way to know if the method Antonio Brown wants to use on the juveniles will work is to try it first. So I wouldn’t go so far to call him an idiot.

If the law-and-order, 'get tough', 'war on crime' Republicans had put some funding into jobs and education programs, rather than militarizing the police, perhaps the car wouldn't have been stolen.

Don't the stats show that the most effective crime deterrence involves social programs like jobs, affordable housing and education, rather than increased policing?

If the law-and-order, 'get tough', 'war on crime' Republicans had put some funding into jobs and education programs, rather than militarizing the police, perhaps the car wouldn't have been stolen.

Don't the stats show that the most effective crime deterrence involves social programs like jobs, affordable housing and education, rather than increased policing?

Sure, but that does little to increase the hatred and fear that drives conservotards to the polls. To quote a famous American philosopher,
"Gentlemen, we have to protect our phony baloney jobs!"

Back
Top Bottom