• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

Tonight we had stir-fry, with garlic scape flowers, snow peas and radishes from the garden.

Added water chestnuts, carrots, ginger, chilies, green onions

Wokked in sesame oil with rice vinegar and soy sauce, sprinkled with sesame seeds.

Enjoyed on the porch.

We have a problem.

My daughter has started working at Dunkin's (Donuts) and has several closing shifts. They have to throw out all the bagels, muffins and donuts left over every evening. So she's bringing home like 36 donuts, 12 muffins and 12 bagels each night. She can't limit herself. So we are all eating this stuff.

Because of how crazy insurance is, they can't donate the food to a food pantry or anything like that. Anything night shift staff don't take home is thrown out.

Its not so much an insurance issue, its that the charities are just so damn picky about taking anything that's less than perfect:

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxph6zErgYI[/YOUTUBE]

Maybe Dunkin Donuts needs a "cleaner" too? :)

Bilby and I love pork cracking, but the by product is so much roast pork! When Bilby was truck driving, I was able to make sandwiches for his lunches, but there is generally some left over.

So, I made pasta sauce out of it.

I trim the excess fat off the roast and use that, and a little light olive oil, to sweat off some minced garlic, and blitzed onion and carrot. I then use the blitzer to blitz the pork, and add that to the pot with canned chopped tomatoes, four bean mix and blitzed mushrooms. I then spice it depending on what I feel like :) Tonight was a mixture of Mexican spices and curry powder. It is then cooked down and served with pasta.

I have 6 more serves ready for the freezer . :)

Today for breakfast.

Scrambled eggs, hot peppers, garlic, and sausage. Potato salad on the side.

Tuna variation.

I added chopped hot peppers and garlic to the mix. I usually mix it with carrots. .

Today for breakfast.

Hot peppers and garlic would send my insides into a tizzy, regret the dalliance for days. Love the food. The war between my gut and my taste buds continueth.

Romaine lettuce, capers, kalamata olives, zucchini, frozen blueberries - all with a generous dousing of olive oil. Light enough to beat the heat.

Today for breakfast.

Hot peppers and garlic would send my insides into a tizzy, regret the dalliance for days. Love the food. The war between my gut and my taste buds continueth.

Romaine lettuce, capers, kalamata olives, zucchini, frozen blueberries - all with a generous dousing of olive oil. Light enough to beat the heat.

It depends on how I feel and what I do in the morning. Sometimes breakfast is an apple. Sometimes half an egg sandwich with cheese. Sometimes Cheerios and a banana.

I liike garlic. Not superhot, enough hot peppers for flavor.

Dinner tonight ground beef with rice and tomato sauce.

Today we had a Butternut Squash that was on the larger side and that my wife didn't want to mash again, so I ended up making my first Butternut Squash soup.

I'm of the maxim that the more flavour the better (as long as they're complementary), so I did a little tweaking of the recipe I found. Along with the squash I included chopped, cooked onion, a hearty dose of garlic, basil, oregano, maple syrup (which the recipe called for), fish sauce, and three diced Thai Chilis.

It turned out great, but I likely could have scaled it back to two Chilis.

Today we had a Butternut Squash that was on the larger side and that my wife didn't want to mash again, so I ended up making my first Butternut Squash soup.

I'm of the maxim that the more flavour the better (as long as they're complementary), so I did a little tweaking of the recipe I found. Along with the squash I included chopped, cooked onion, a hearty dose of garlic, basil, oregano, maple syrup (which the recipe called for), fish sauce, and three diced Thai Chilis.

I add turmeric, cumin, ground coriander seeds, paprika and mustard or curry powder to mine. :)

I add turmeric, cumin, ground coriander seeds, paprika and mustard or curry powder to mine. :)

That sounds like it would be the more common way to make it, almost curry like. I did enjoy my version quite a bit, although maybe a bit too fiery. Coriander and mustard seem like they would have made good additions to it, cumin could replace the chilis if one was so inclined.

We've been enjoying the first blackberries of the season for about a week now. The two varieties are Chester and triple Crown, both thornless which makes for easy picking. SWe've also been eating the first apples of the season, an early variety called Pristine. The deer are also very attracted to the apples, both leaves and fruit.

Apples are easy to identify as ripe. Not so blackberries. Blackberries are only fully ripe when they come off with the gentlest tug. The berry is still good if fully blackened but might be slightly tart otherwise.

Ooh, I love b squash soup.

For lunch, we had seven different vegetable dishes, ALL from my wife's garden! My favorite is a type of gourd. One of the vegetables (tiny eggplants) were very bitter: Impressive how people gradually learned over centuries which bitter vegetables are nutritious, and which are poisonous. The other vegetables included the leaves and flowers of katurai (Sesbania grandiflora), okra, water spinach (Ipomoea aquatica), kabocha (a squash), and the leaves and stem of ivy gourd (Coccinia grandis). (I didn't know the English names of most of these; found them just now by Googling the Thai name.)

My wife has enjoyed growing vegetables (and hunting for them in wild forests) for decades. But with her recent illness, she's gone into overdrive. We also grow several different fruits and condiments, though our home-grown garlic is not enough to meet our demand!

We also had pineapples and pork. The pineapples are given to us by a neighbor. Two other neighbors raise pigs, but we buy pork elsewhere.

My wife tries very hard to ensure my diet is healthy. :) But late at night, I over-indulge on junk like chocolate and ice cream. :(

We are in lockdown so are trying to use stuff up. I have had some ham steaks in the freezer for a while, so we will have those with steamed veg with them.

I made another Butternut Squash Soup yesterday, this time with the help of a book called The Flavor Bible. For seasoning I included garlic, fresh ginger, fish sauce, cinnamon, coriander, salt, pepper, and a dash of both cumin and red pepper flakes.

I do enjoy the presence of the fish sauce, but I found I added a little too much of it, and too little of the spices. Which seemed to be a response to the first batch which was too spicy. It's still very good, but a touch more of cinnamon, cumin, and red pepper would have put it over the top.

I'd also definitely recommend the book I used, The Flavor Bible. Basically all it is is an encyclopedia of sorts that lists the affinities of seasoning to different foods. Very useful. You're cooking something for dinner, you find that that food in the book, and see everything that pairs with it. It even highlights those things that are the best pairing.

Back
Top Bottom