• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What does it mean for something to be "logically possible"?

How long does the universe stay in its present state?

Is the change of state instantaneous?

How many instantaneous changes occur in one second?

Suppose you want to change the least amount possible.

How much change is that?

Is it possible to do that?

- - - Updated - - -

If you can chop up the movement infinitely, then there is no smallest possible movement, by definition.

He's just completely blind to his question-begging. It's mind-blowing.

You clearly have no arguments.

Merely some strange sensations.

What's the smallest movement possible?

If you tell me it's impossible to have such a thing you are honest.

So, I was eating some jumbo peanuts (and they were large, salty, hot, and yummy too, I might add) and started thinking about this thread. Yep, there I was, driving along, eating, thinking, and throwing shells out (and wondering why cars get closer when the inadvertent shells hit them.) But anyhow, not every peanut was jumbo in size. Some were smaller (well, a few were anyhow), but they were all jumbo peanuts--came from the same strain.

The confusion between a logical possibility and a logical possibility is the same kind of confusion that is found between a jumbo peanut and a jumbo peanut. Wait, huh, what? The new strain of peanut that produces unusually large peanuts and shells needed to be named. We could have named it Strain 78. Had we done so, no one would argue that the smaller peanuts in the yield are not from Strain 78.

Untermensche's refusal to accept that "Santa exists is a logical possibility"has more to do with the name. I can envision him arguing that the runt size peanuts are not jumbo peanuts. That's the danger of treating single two-worded terms as two single-worded terms.

Yes, "jumbo" was used to name the new strain. Why not, most from the strain were jumbo in size. But the description wasn't perfect because it failed to account for the smaller peanuts from the strain? Names aren't perfect.

To discuss a possibility that isn't logical (whatever that might mean) should not be misconstrued with discussing a possibility that is logical (whatever that might mean). Call that A and B.

When we discuss whether something is a logical possibility (C) (something wholly different than B), we don't concern ourselves with the things Untermensche brings up, and that's because he insists on focusing on what "logical" means, as if it's to be used as an adjective--much like a person might focus on what "jumbo" means in deciding whether a peanut is in fact a jumbo peanut.

I don't see the argument?

Do peanuts logically exist?

Is it logically possible that peanuts of various sizes exist?

Who said all you had was jumbo peanuts? Me?

Does Santa Clause logically exist?

If so where might he possibly exist?

Focus!

Okay, so there was this guy. He was a logician. He was enthralled with the topic of logic. He saw something and gave it a name. Never mind what it is that he saw. Forget that. Focus on the name. So what that the subject includes both physical possibilities and physical impossibilities! It's just a name.

Focus!

Okay, so there was this guy. He was a logician. He was enthralled with the topic of logic. He saw something and gave it a name. Never mind what it is that he saw. Forget that. Focus on the name. So what that the subject includes both physical possibilities and physical impossibilities! It's just a name.

You focus on the word logical and ignore what the word "possibility" means.

A possibility is not an impossibility.

Your great logic reduces to: An impossibility is a possibility.

That isn't logic at all.

I am the only one who tried to see your argument through in a serious manor while being as rational as I could, and you have bailed on me at least 3 times in the past month.

Kharakov might be right about you being a glutton for punishment. You seem more interested in the conflict than the actual argument.

I do not bail on you. I have responded to you many many times.

In post #402, I mentioned that I was still waiting on a response from the last post. Then you quit again after my last post to you, post #405.

And I respond seriously if the argument is serious.

My responses were serious, and I think you know that.

You have not shown me how infinity differs from the Easter Bunny.

One is an imaginary concept about some series going on without end and the other makes children happy.

Do you think you could chop something real up infinitely?

Suppose you chop up the movement of some object infinitely and the object makes the smallest possible move forward.

How far has it moved?

It moves from that point to not that point, an infinitesimal. In other words, it goes from say 4 on the number line to x, where x ---> 4+ but =/= 4.

This difference is an infinitesimal, and is not a real number as in the set of R. That's why it is 4 - x = 0 (the x created above). But 4 - x is called a hyperreal in the extended set of R, the set R*. It is not 0.

Focus!

That isn't logic at all.
It's through that logic that allows me to cover all bases, possible or otherwise. Write down every thing you can do on individual pieces of paper and place it in a bowl. Do that (also) with everything you can't do. Every possibility that logic allows me to conceive of (save contradictions) are now covered.

And yes, some possibilities are impossibilities, which isn't contradictory unless you're using the terms in the same sense, which you are and shouldn't. Physical impossibilities are logical possibilities. And you know that. You're playing on the ambiguity of the word, something you wouldn't be doing if the term, "jumbo peanut" was called "strain 78" heading off your play on words.

So, I was eating some jumbo peanuts (and they were large, salty, hot, and yummy too, I might add) and started thinking about this thread. Yep, there I was, driving along, eating, thinking, and throwing shells out (and wondering why cars get closer when the inadvertent shells hit them.) But anyhow, not every peanut was jumbo in size. Some were smaller (well, a few were anyhow), but they were all jumbo peanuts--came from the same strain.

The confusion between a logical possibility and a logical possibility is the same kind of confusion that is found between a jumbo peanut and a jumbo peanut. Wait, huh, what? The new strain of peanut that produces unusually large peanuts and shells needed to be named. We could have named it Strain 78. Had we done so, no one would argue that the smaller peanuts in the yield are not from Strain 78.

Untermensche's refusal to accept that "Santa exists is a logical possibility"has more to do with the name. I can envision him arguing that the runt size peanuts are not jumbo peanuts. That's the danger of treating single two-worded terms as two single-worded terms.

Yes, "jumbo" was used to name the new strain. Why not, most from the strain were jumbo in size. But the description wasn't perfect because it failed to account for the smaller peanuts from the strain? Names aren't perfect.

To discuss a possibility that isn't logical (whatever that might mean) should not be misconstrued with discussing a possibility that is logical (whatever that might mean). Call that A and B.

When we discuss whether something is a logical possibility (C) (something wholly different than B), we don't concern ourselves with the things Untermensche brings up, and that's because he insists on focusing on what "logical" means, as if it's to be used as an adjective--much like a person might focus on what "jumbo" means in deciding whether a peanut is in fact a jumbo peanut.

I don't see the argument?

Do peanuts logically exist?

Is it logically possible that peanuts of various sizes exist?

Who said all you had was jumbo peanuts? Me?

Does Santa Clause logically exist?

If so where might he possibly exist?

Eyup. Just as you suspected fast. Went right over his head. didn't blink. Nothing.

That isn't logic at all.

It's through that logic that allows me to cover all bases, possible or otherwise.....

Did you actually read this?

Do you know how baseless a claim it is?

Logic doesn't let impossible things become possible. Logic understands what the word possible means. If something is possible it means it can possibly have existence. Not an imaginary existence. A real existence.

Logic is not a magic wand that somehow allows miracles.

You actually need more than this empty claim.

When a speculation instantly dissolves into absurdity and impossibilities it is a speculation that shouldn't be taken seriously.

It is impossible for an object to make the smallest movement possible. The idea is absurd.

The idea that space could possibly be divided infinitely is absurd.

When a speculation instantly dissolves into absurdity and impossibilities it is a speculation that shouldn't be taken seriously.

It is impossible for an object to make the smallest movement possible. The idea is absurd.

But if it's the smallest movement possible, then it must be possible for an object to make it.
:boom:
:laughing-smiley-014

Given the terms and conditions being presented in the sentence, the objection is absurd. Logic doesn't seem to be the strong point here.

One is an imaginary concept about some series going on without end <snip>.

Do you think you could chop something real up infinitely?

Suppose you chop up the movement of some object infinitely and the object makes the smallest possible move forward.

How far has it moved?

Ah, here is something interesting. Several posters have already commented on that but I think there's a bit more to say.

UM's suggestion to "chop up the movement of some object infinitely" shows he's not interested in the actual concept of infinity and how it is effectively applied in scientific theories to the physical movement of material objects. But it's nonetheless interesting to look into the details of this question.

I think the best and most admirable example of how the concept of infinity works is in the work of the guy who invented it, Isaac Newton. So, it goes back more than three hundred years ago already. Analytical geometry had just been invented by Descartes and UM wasn't even born.

So Newton invented the concept of infinitesimals that is crucial to what came to be called "calculus", or "infinitesimal calculus". It is also interesting to note that Leibnitz, more of a logician than a physicist like Newton, is also regarded as having independently discovered calculus, at the same time, which does provide some respectability to such small thing as infinitesimals might be.

Anyway, my dictionary says for 'infinitesimal", "infinitely or immeasurably small".

Let's note straight away that "today, calculus has widespread uses in science, engineering, and economics." (Wiki, on Calculus). And that "Calculus is used in every branch of the physical sciences, actuarial science, computer science, statistics, engineering, economics, business, medicine, demography, and in other fields wherever a problem can be mathematically modeled" (Wiki).

So, the concept of infinitesimal works rather very, very well when applied to the physical world. And so anybody who would think of dismissing this concept in just a few words would be a "triple buse" ("triple buse", in French, was the preferred insult of our chemistry teacher for her students back in the sixties. A "buse" in French is a buzzard but also a total idiot).

So, what are infinitesimals? Well, mathematicians themselves seem to have had to wrestle with this notion for a very long time. Prior to Newton and Leibnitz, notions of calculus can be found in all traditions (Ancient Egypt, Ancient China, Ancient Greece, medieval Europe and India) and we all know the Zeno paradox. And European mathematicians still struggled to find a rigorous definition of infinitesimals. I'm proud to say that the French mathematician Augustin-Louis Cauchy got there first, but it was already 1821 and it came after much debates among mathematicians. Let's note Cauchy was also a physicist.

So, infinitesimal is clearly a difficult concept but then again it received the full attention of brilliant people for the time necessary to elucidate the question. So, again, someone who thinks he can dismiss such a concept in just a few words must have some unresolved understanding issues.

Now, what about the specifics? Does calculus assumes it is physically possible to do something like "chop up the movement of some object infinitely"? Well, there's a prior question to that, which is what does it mean to do something "infinitely". 'Infinite' just means "not finite", i.e. "without" limit". So, to do something infinitely just means that you start doing it and you never stop. So, rather obviously, there won't be a time when it's done. And this is really how infinitesimals are understood (except by UM of course). This is also why we talk of the "logical possibility" of infinity rather than the physical possibility.

This is a rather uncontroversial issue. No sane person would interpret the concept of infinitesimal as a suggestion that it is physically possible to "chop up" something, a length, a material object, energy etc. infinitely. It can't be done physically if "done physically" means that you have to have finished the job at some point in time, UM's claim notwithstanding.

Perhaps something should be said about the metaphysical assumptions behind the concept of infinitesimal. Basically, the idea is that time is taken to have no end and that it is therefore at least conceivable that a particular activity could go on and on without end. So, we can conceive of starting to chop up a length in two bits and then repeat this operation on one of the two halves so obtained so that we would get smaller and smaller lengths as time would go on and on. Again, no idea of ever actually finishing. We can physically start such a process but we won't ever have done it to the end precisely because there's no end to it. So, it's all notional, conceptual, virtual. What matters is that for practical applications, we can start to chop some thing up and repeat the operation as long as we need to until we're satisfied that the physical result complies with our theoretical expectations. The second metaphysical assumption is that space is continuous. We obviously don't know that it is but we can assume that it is without contradiction until such a time that someone finds a particular length that couldn't be divided into two smaller lengths. So, it would be an empirical discovery, like the 1899 discovery that energy was quantified.

Can these two assumptions be true? Well, what do you mean by "can"? Either they are true or they are not. We just don't know. We know of only of two ways to find that something is not true: empirically or logically. It is conceivable that we will find empirically that time and/or space are not continuous and therefore couldn't be chopped up infinitely. But since Zeno two millennia ago, philosophers have tried to find logical arguments showing that the concept of infinity was wrong, without success.

UM at least is still trying. As if he was never going to stop. As if to prove time is really infinite.

There's some beauty in that at least.
EB

But if it's the smallest movement possible, then it must be possible for an object to make it.
:boom:
:laughing-smiley-014

It is not the smallest move possible. If movement can be divided infinitely.

It is only the smallest move that is possible to make.

It is impossible to make the smallest move possible.

No such thing exists.

The idea dissolves to irrational absurdity.

The whole notion is totally irrational.

I don't find people who defend such nonsense funny. I find them pathetically lost.

- - - Updated - - -

Given the terms and conditions being presented in the sentence, the objection is absurd. Logic doesn't seem to be the strong point here.

Prove it.

Don't just spew it like vomit.

Last edited:
UM's suggestion to "chop up the movement of some object infinitely" shows he's not interested in the actual concept of infinity and how it is effectively applied in scientific theories to the physical movement of material objects. But it's nonetheless interesting to look into the details of this question.

It clearly and concisely demonstrates the absurdity of the notion that infinity can be applied to real things. Newton never tries to apply infinity to anything real. He knew it was an imaginary conception.

If one wants to defend the childish notion that infinity is something real one better run away from things like this.

Run hard.

It shows the nonsense people are trying to pass off as knowledge.

Any movement of an object must begin with the smallest movement possible.

After that further movements can be made. But with every movement the smallest movement possible must be made first.

If we say that movement can be divided infinitely then there is no smallest movement possible. No such thing exists in such a universe as that.

If no smallest movement is possible and every movement must begin with the smallest movement possible, in a universe where movement can be divided infinitely no movement is possible.

After that further movements can be made. But with every movement the smallest movement possible must be made first.

If we say that movement can be divided infinitely then there is no smallest movement possible. No such thing exists in such a universe as that.

If no smallest movement is possible and every movement must begin with the smallest movement possible, in a universe where movement can be divided infinitely no movement is possible.

It's déjà vu all over again...

An acid trip to the literal Hell (-enic world) of Ancient Greece.

Like Hot Hell California. You can never leave.

Literally because there's no smallest movement possible...

It's literally the Achilles' Hell of infinity. It's very long but it never starts.

The tortoise would have liked that.
EB

It's déjà vu all over again...

An acid trip to the literal Hell (-enic world) of Ancient Greece.

Like Hot Hell California. You can never leave.

Literally because there's no smallest movement possible...

It's literally the Achilles' Hell of infinity. It's very long but it never starts.

The tortoise would have liked that.
EB

All you can do is wave your arms and scream "paradox".

Because what it demonstrates is to even try to apply the idea of infinity to something like movement is absurd.

When applying concepts instantly creates absurdities and impossibilities, not after long examination, instantly, it is absurd to support them.

So, what are infinitesimals? Well, mathematicians themselves seem to have had to wrestle with this notion for a very long time. Prior to Newton and Leibnitz, notions of calculus can be found in all traditions (Ancient Egypt, Ancient China, Ancient Greece, medieval Europe and India) and we all know the Zeno paradox. And European mathematicians still struggled to find a rigorous definition of infinitesimals. I'm proud to say that the French mathematician Augustin-Louis Cauchy got there first, but it was already 1821 and it came after much debates among mathematicians. Let's note Cauchy was also a physicist.
Cauchy got to a rigorous foundation of calculus by rigorously defining infinitesimals out of existence! His infinitesimal-free foundation for Calculus spearheaded a new rigour in mathematics, and was so triumphant that, a century later, Russell announced that infinitesimals had been an absurd notion all along. To this day, infinitesimals play absolutely no formal role in standard real or complex analysis. Instead, we talk exclusively in terms of limits, an idea heavily promoted by Euler, but only formally defined by Cauchy, and only in the most elementary terms of real numbers. Infinitesimals make no appearance at all (I'm happy to elaborate).

Russell's declarations of absurdity were completely wrong, however, and infinitesimals were shown to be not only logically coherent, but a fairly natural logical notion discovered first by Robinson with the hyperreals, and given an alternative formulation be Conway with the surreal numbers. You can do analysis in the hyperreals, and my old boss did his doctoral research near enough successfully vindicating Newton's calculus as being rigorous if you interpret him as working in the hyperreals.

However, pretty much all maths students today do the standard analysis that was laid down by Cauchy (with final gaps filled in by Dedekind and Cantor), and never see an infinitesimal anywhere. This makes sense, since the construction of the hyperreals ends up building on top of the standard reals anyway.

Cauchy got to a rigorous foundation of calculus by rigorously defining infinitesimals out of existence! His infinitesimal-free foundation for Calculus spearheaded a new rigour in mathematics, and was so triumphant that, a century later, Russell announced that infinitesimals had been an absurd notion all along. To this day, infinitesimals play absolutely no formal role in standard real or complex analysis. Instead, we talk exclusively in terms of limits, an idea heavily promoted by Euler, but only formally defined by Cauchy, and only in the most elementary terms of real numbers. Infinitesimals make no appearance at all (I'm happy to elaborate).

Russell's declarations of absurdity were completely wrong, however, and infinitesimals were shown to be not only logically coherent, but a fairly natural logical notion discovered first by Robinson with the hyperreals, and given an alternative formulation be Conway with the surreal numbers. You can do analysis in the hyperreals, and my old boss did his doctoral research near enough successfully vindicating Newton's calculus as being rigorous if you interpret him as working in the hyperreals.

However, pretty much all maths students today do the standard analysis that was laid down by Cauchy (with final gaps filled in by Dedekind and Cantor), and never see an infinitesimal anywhere. This makes sense, since the construction of the hyperreals ends up building on top of the standard reals anyway.

Actually, it was Bolzano who first gave the formal epsilon-delta definition of limit and then it was Weierstrass who finished the formalization of calculus. Cauchy was an intermediary who had the right notions, but whose work still utilized the infinitesimal.

Back
Top Bottom