• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What, exactly, is CRT?

I'm also laughing.
But I've gotta ask.

What grade level does she teach? There's an important difference between 5th graders wanting answers and college sophomores asking the same questions.
Tom

Does it matter? If the students ask, should she not answer their questions? If our culture has raised their awareness on this by effectively book-burning it, however old they are to want answers, that’s how old they are.

This is a good point. If a student asks about God, shouldn’t the student be told how Jesus was sacrificed so that we may be saved from sin?

They should be told facts: what the idea of God is, how the concept is understood in different religions, how our societies are affected by those beliefs, and so forth. What possible benefit could there be in trying to prevent children from learning about critically important topics?

I also don't think it's unreasonable for a fifth grader to want to know what the major political questions of their day are about, no matter what those issues happen to be. That's exactly when they should start taking an interest. Are you seriously saying we should wait to start civic education until a year after students are eligible to vote, TomC?

I said no such thing, I don't believe any of that, but I do understand you just a little bit better.
Tom

College sophomores were your only provided example of where the education bar should be set; if you think otherwise, clarify your position rather than attacking me personally, please. At what age should the major political issues of the day be explained to students?

The issue isn’t about discussion of political issues; it’s about using the captive audience created by compulsory education for political indoctrination of other people’s children. Note that the strongest forces against this are parents.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a good point. If a student asks about God, shouldn’t the student be told how Jesus was sacrificed so that we may be saved from sin?

They should be told facts: what the idea of God is, how the concept is understood in different religions, how our societies are affected by those beliefs, and so forth. What possible benefit could there be in trying to prevent children from learning about critically important topics?

Teaching children that their country is systematically racist, that skin color determines if you are an oppressor or oppressed, or that disparity in outcome can only be explained by racism are not “facts.” No more so than teaching German children that all the bad that has befallen their country is caused by Jews.

I also don't think it's unreasonable for a fifth grader to want to know what the major political questions of their day are about, no matter what those issues happen to be. That's exactly when they should start taking an interest. Are you seriously saying we should wait to start civic education until a year after students are eligible to vote, TomC?

I said no such thing, I don't believe any of that, but I do understand you just a little bit better.
Tom

College sophomores were yourprovided example of where the education bar should be set, if you think otherwise, clarify your position rather than attacking me personally, please. At what age should the major political issues of the day be explained to students?

Let's start with this.

I did not suggest that college sophomores were a bar. I was pointing out that more sophisticated students should be taught at a different level.

Your quote:
Are you seriously saying we should wait to start civic education until a year after students are eligible to vote, TomC?

I didn't say it. I don't believe it. I've said lots of things on TFT that differ from it.

You didn't used to be like that, as far as I could tell.
Tom

Teaching children that their country is systematically racist, that skin color determines if you are an oppressor or oppressed, or that disparity in outcome can only be explained by racism are not “facts.” No more so than teaching German children that all the bad that has befallen their country is caused by Jews.

Who would teach that? :confused: And why do you assume that this person is teaching that?

College sophomores were yourprovided example of where the education bar should be set, if you think otherwise, clarify your position rather than attacking me personally, please. At what age should the major political issues of the day be explained to students?

Let's start with this.

I did not suggest that college sophomores were a bar. I was pointing out that more sophisticated students should be taught at a different level.

Your quote:
Are you seriously saying we should wait to start civic education until a year after students are eligible to vote, TomC?

I didn't say it. I don't believe it. I've said lots of things on TFT that differ from it.

You didn't used to be like that, as far as I could tell.
Tom

Stop attacking me, and make your point if you have one. I'm getting very tired of this aggresive shit.

I imagine they're all asking now. That's what a media blitz will do to ya.
Exactly.

Kids hear a lot more than people credit. They wanna know what people are screaming about in school board meetings.

And even if they 'defunded' certain textbooks, kids still wanna know what's going on.

Would the parents rather they ask about Gaetz' headlines?

In the long run, you gotta figure the teachers who answer the question with what FOX uses to define CRT are gonna get asked the questions as often as those who maybe opened a textbook.
Just like kids asking about the other talking points. Transexuals, climate change, infrastructure, Trump - criminal or messiah.

And the kids will go on in life, maybe to college, maybe not.

They'll observe reality thru they own eyes. And maybe reevaluate who told them the truth and who lied. And begin to question everything the liars assured them.

What has Wokeness got to do with it? College sophomores were your only provided example of where the education bar should be set; if you think otherwise, clarify your position rather than attacking me personally, please. At what age should the major political issues of the day be explained to students?

The issue isn’t about discussion of political issues; it’s about using the captive audience created by compulsory education for political indoctrination of other people’s children. Note that the strongest forces against this are parents.

Trying to figure out how you devined what the teacher would answer from any of this. Aren’t you making a rather risky unsupported leap of inference?

What has Wokeness got to do with it? College sophomores were your only provided example of where the education bar should be set; if you think otherwise, clarify your position rather than attacking me personally, please. At what age should the major political issues of the day be explained to students?

The issue isn’t about discussion of political issues; it’s about using the captive audience created by compulsory education for political indoctrination of other people’s children.
That describes all public education . Unless you are arguing against compulsory education, you are engaging in special education.
Trausti said:
Note that the strongest forces against this are parents.
No one here has any idea whether the parents are well informed.

I'm also laughing.
But I've gotta ask.

What grade level does she teach? There's an important difference between 5th graders wanting answers and college sophomores asking the same questions.
Tom

Does it matter? If the students ask, should she not answer their questions? If our culture has raised their awareness on this by effectively book-burning it, however old they are to want answers, that’s how old they are.
And of course they'll ask their teacher, because when our culture book-burns a topic teachers are the last remaining bulwark against enforced ignorance. If only there were some independent source of information 5th-graders could turn to when they want to know about CRT.

If only there were some independent source of information 5th-graders could turn to when they want to know about CRT.
::sigh:: That'd be nice, wouldn't it?

American schools today are pushing Dynamic and Engaging teaching methods. Learning is FUN, they insist.

And by 'fun,' most teachers are providing 'entertainment.' Meaning the kids just sit there and wait for learning to be thrust at them. Like turning on Sesame Street and waiting for a monster to sing a song about Critical Race Theory or the Tulsa Massacre.

Research is not fun. So kids don't think of doing their own research unless and until they're assigned to do it, and usually told where to go get their info.

So, yeah, they ask the teacher. And if told 'Go look it up,' like my wife did with seven dictionaries in the classroom, they bitch, "Isn't it YOUR JOB to TEACH us what we need to know?"

That describes all public education . Unless you are arguing against compulsory education, you are engaging in special education.
Trausti said:
Note that the strongest forces against this are parents.
No one here has any idea whether the parents are well informed.

Also, some of the strongest forces FOR this are the parents.

There are some things that we recognize are not ethical to do to a child no matter who you are.

If a parent wants to tell their child that the earth is flat because they think it will be funny (and gives them clever-but-wrong reasons to believe it, particularly to a person not intelligent enough to find the 'wrong'), and there are humans like this on earth, they have done no less than what Trausti argues is their right.

And let's assume even they believe it!

So, the reality becomes that it does take a village to raise a child because while most people are mostly right most of the time, some people can be abysmally wrong fairly consistently, too. By adding more people, you reduce the likelihood of letting "mostly wrong and/or wrong most of the time" through to cause damage.

Or in other words, what Keith said.

A good example of what is wrong with CRT in public schools.

article said:
She believes that the reading materials and teachers' manuals are biased, specifically the lessons taught to second graders about civil rights leaders like Martin Luther King Jr. Kids leave class believing that white people are oppressors and minorities are victims, Steenman claims.

While her only school-age child attends private school, Steenman nevertheless wants the public system, Williamson County Schools, to change its approach. She and a group of local women calling themselves “Moms for Liberty” recently asked the Tennessee Department of Education in a complaint letter to force the district to scrap that material and overhaul its curriculum.
Yes folks, a woman with no child at the local public school is upset with how they teach race in the classroom at that school.

CRT is the new Gay Marriage Ban to rile the idiots back to the polls.

article said:
She believes that the reading materials and teachers' manuals are biased, specifically the lessons taught to second graders about civil rights leaders like Martin Luther King Jr. Kids leave class believing that white people are oppressors and minorities are victims, Steenman claims.

While her only school-age child attends private school, Steenman nevertheless wants the public system, Williamson County Schools, to change its approach. She and a group of local women calling themselves “Moms for Liberty” recently asked the Tennessee Department of Education in a complaint letter to force the district to scrap that material and overhaul its curriculum.
Yes folks, a woman with no child at the local public school is upset with how they teach race in the classroom at that school.

CRT is the new Gay Marriage Ban to rile the idiots back to the polls.

Of course she does. If she can get the public school system to religiously indoctrinate her kids, she won't have to pay for private school any more.

I've noticed how in these situations it's usually a handful of parents think they have the right to set the curriculum over and above the objections of most parents, and sometimes even people with no immediate stake in public education still believe their ideology should predominate.

Yes folks, a man with no child in the Tennessee public school system is upset with who the Tennessee public school system takes input from.
This woman is complaining about teachings she knows nothing about. But I'm not allowed to comment on it because I don't have a kid in the school? I'm not defending the school, I'm saying what basis does she have to attack it? There is a clear pattern. The people that are making these arguments never appear to have any classroom material to defend their accusations. It hearsay on hearsay gone mad. It is only in very rare cases we find teachers that are either teaching something poorly or inadequately or inappropriately. In Central York, they tried to ban (I'm sorry 'freeze') a book by Brad Metzer on Rosa Parks.

Back
Top Bottom