• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What, exactly, is CRT?

My understanding is that most of those monuments were originally built after the civil war.

True. Most monuments are built after the event/person they are commemorating. Very few monuments are built while the event is occurring or during the life of the person being honored. Virtually none are built prior to.

:D

My understanding is that most of those monuments were originally built after the civil war.

Yes. For racist reasons. My understanding is that they were mostly built in the 1930'ies and crowdsourced through the KKK.

In most of Europe there was the Holocaust remembrance day yesterday. It's always good to remind ourselves that the Nazis and Germans aren't uniquely evil. This kind of evil can emerge anywhere. Normal people can do monstrous things given the right (or wrong) circumstances. These kinds of monuments remind us of that.

If we hide the dirt of our ancestors we risk repeating their mistakes.

I think it's probably worth reconsidering your view here. It's certainly good to remember that the Nazis weren't uniquely evil... but I think it's a bad idea to extend the behavior of a non-unaminous group during a relatively short period of history onto all people of the same nationality and ancestry.

Yes. For racist reasons. My understanding is that they were mostly built in the 1930'ies and crowdsourced through the KKK.

In most of Europe there was the Holocaust remembrance day yesterday. It's always good to remind ourselves that the Nazis and Germans aren't uniquely evil. This kind of evil can emerge anywhere. Normal people can do monstrous things given the right (or wrong) circumstances. These kinds of monuments remind us of that.

If we hide the dirt of our ancestors we risk repeating their mistakes.

Are you saying that in Europe there are statues of Hitler, Goring, Himmler, Eichmann, and etc. are allowed to stand and be revered on public grounds in Europe? Because that is what you want to happen in the USA. The people those racists decided to revere with statues on display on public grounds are exactly analogous to Nazi leaders being revered in the same manner in Europe. It says to everyone who is not racist that "You may have won the war a century and a half ago, but we are winning the battles that matter now."

Meh. There are a lot of statues of Joseph Stalin, Vlad the Impaler, and other horrific people from history like Ivan the Terrible and Genghis Khan.

Are you saying that in Europe there are statues of Hitler, Goring, Himmler, Eichmann, and etc. are allowed to stand and be revered on public grounds in Europe? Because that is what you want to happen in the USA. The people those racists decided to revere with statues on display on public grounds are exactly analogous to Nazi leaders being revered in the same manner in Europe. It says to everyone who is not racist that "You may have won the war a century and a half ago, but we are winning the battles that matter now."

Meh. There are a lot of statues of Joseph Stalin, Vlad the Impaler, and other horrific people from history like Ivan the Terrible and Genghis Khan.

Meh, yourself.

How many statues of the Nazis are there on public grounds in Europe? I am directly comparing the Confederates to the Nazis, not anyone else. It is not a comparison that I make often, or lightly, so there is good reason for the analogy.

Well, okay. If CRT is not being taught there’s no reason to oppose laws keeping it out of schools, right? Just status quo.
Since one of the reasons for these laws is to stifle education, there is a reason to oppose them. Not to mention that pointless laws are a waste of time.

Um, no. Parents don’t want their children held captive to political activists.

Well, okay. If CRT is not being taught there’s no reason to oppose laws keeping it out of schools, right? Just status quo.

Except that censorship is fundamentally inimical to democracy.

So fundamentalist Christians should be able to proselytize in your child’s classroom? Or are you pro-censorship?
Apparently the notion of the separation of church and state is foreign to you.

Since one of the reasons for these laws is to stifle education, there is a reason to oppose them. Not to mention that pointless laws are a waste of time.

Um, no. Parents don’t want their children held captive to political activists.
The supporters of anti-CRT legislation have no problem with their children being held captive by their approved political activists.

So fundamentalist Christians should be able to proselytize in your child’s classroom? Or are you pro-censorship?
Apparently the notion of the separation of church and state is foreign to you.

But it’s not.
Apparently it is, otherwise you wouldn't have produced such a blatantly stupid example.
Teachers in public high school do not get free speech to indoctrinate other people’s children.
Ecucation is a form of indoctrination. So, unless you are arguing against compulsory education, what is your point?

This was for 2019-2020. 2012 was simply the comparison year.

So not "pre-covid" as you tried to preface it.

If you want an explanation, the one you tried to hide with your incorrect prefacing is more likely.

The article states the drop began pre-Covid.

The chart does not show that, so how do you know the article is correct, or that the drop pre-covid was in any way significant? After you get done researching that information, you can then go on to show us when CRT was first introduced to those children and how it caused the decline in test scores.

The chart does not show that, so how do you know the article is correct, or that the drop pre-covid was in any way significant? After you get done researching that information, you can then go on to show us when CRT was first introduced to those children and how it caused the decline in test scores.

Maybe look at it this way. Before you try to indoctrinate children in racially divisive ideology, first make sure the kids can do the basics.

Maybe look at it this way. Before you try to indoctrinate children in racially divisive ideology, first make sure the kids can do the basics.

Maybe look at it this way. The article and chart you posted in no way support your contention that CRT is causing a decline in test scores for 9-13 year olds.

Then you have to admit it was the Trump Presidency that caused it.

Are you unaware it’s the states that run the public schools?
You seem have a penchant for non-sequiturs. You are using alleged correlation (CRT taught in schools nationwide and test scores) to provide evidence that it is causation. I am using correlation (4 years of a human shitpost of a President who promoted fear, falsehoods, and ignorance with those test scores) to provide evidence of causation. The difference is that we know that Mr. Trump was POTUS for 4 years and we don't know to what extent (if any) CRT was taught nationwide.

My point to the reasoning-impaired is that your example does not show what you believe it does.

Except that censorship is fundamentally inimical to democracy.

Not my child's school, I'm in favor of censoring the government for religious indoctrination.

Back
Top Bottom