• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What happens in a universe that uniformly achieves 0 degrees Kelvin?

fromderinside

Mazzie Daius
Local group: Solar system: Earth: NA: US: contiguo
Basic Beliefs
optimist
Just a naive thought from an old one who would like some input Studies around absolute zeros find temperatures below 0 degrees k and seems to defy entropy by increasing above 0 degrees K.

Just a thought with all those studies showing that at absolute zero that condition is not maintained/stable at o degrees K. I understand enough quantum jargon to know that such is to be expected. But could a universal uniformity result in something like a big bang?

This enquiring mind would like to know.

Just a naive thought from an old one who would like some input Studies around absolute zeros find temperatures below 0 degrees k and seems to defy entropy by increasing above 0 degrees K.

Just a thought with all those studies showing that at absolute zero that condition is not maintained/stable at o degrees K. I understand enough quantum jargon to know that such is to be expected. But could a universal uniformity result in something like a big bang?

This enquiring mind would like to know

That sounds a bit like what Roger Penrose proposes with his conformal cyclic cosmology model.

https://physicsworld.com/a/new-evidence-for-cyclic-universe-claimed-by-roger-penrose-and-colleagues/

Or for a Penrose explaination of it in a youtube video:

I know diddly-squat about Penrose's conformal geometry so can't criticize it either positively or negatively.

Last edited:
steve_bank I think I know that 0k is never reached since I indicate that in the OP. I was thinking of the idea that near thresholds like boiling unexpected events like explosions sometimes happen.

scepticalbit, Thank you for your input I will pursue it and get back after I've boned up.

This enquiring mind would like to know.

Nothing happens.

Literally--at 0K motion of any kind is impossible, thus nothing can happen.

Imagine complete uniformity like when water is at boiling point and a single massive bubble is forming beneath completely uniform surface tension. Something has to give with result of massive explosion. This is known to happen with water
Why not something equivalent with infinite scale universe where without mass nor gravity any singularity in energy results in big bang?

This is one of those supposedly profound thought experiments that overlooks physics.

There cannot ever be a universe at a uniform 0K, it is impossible. Quantum fluctuations (which can be arbitrarily large) are always present, so universal uniformity is impossible. It's also impossible to cool anything to 0K.

The question reminds me of the old saw about what happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object; The philosophers can argue this for centuries (and have), but the physicist's answer is simple - ALL forces are irresistible, and ALL objects are movable. When a force acts on an object, it responds according to well known physical laws.

It's a valueless question, of interest only to navel-gazers, and of value to nobody.

Back
Top Bottom