• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What happens to the republican party on Nov 9

There are three main factions in the GOP. For lack of better terms, they are the Trumpettes, the Christians and the Establishment.

I have pondered occasionally during this election whether the Establishment Republicans wouldn't get their way fastest by taking their money, their network and their ground game and just walking away from the GOP and performing a coup on the Libertarian Party. Leaving the Single Issue voters behind. The fringe of the Dem party that is available to them would be open to a not-crazy version of Libertarianism that walked the walk of "Fiscally conservative, socially libertarian," I think. Is that enough? Not at first, surely. But over time I think they could pull it off. Spend 4 years building an actually doable platform and convincing existing politicians to switch parties. Run a sane candidate in 2020, maybe lose, and have a shot at 2024.

there is a lot of overlap among these three groups, so much in fact I wonder how you define the boundaries?

and there is nothing new in the rhetoric of DJT. Everything he says (outside of shooting HRC, grabbing pussies, and lusting after his daughter, you know, things like that) has been said before, has been written into the party platform.

There is nothing new here. trump is the end of result of what the GOP stands for.

The party is a snake. And snakes do snakey things because it is their nature. Know that before you take it in or are taken in by it.

That's a good point and one I've been making for awhile. Trump hasn't been saying anything new, he just really shines a light on it by being blunt. Listen to a webcast or Conservative AM radio in the last 8 years and you'll hear the same.

There are three main factions in the GOP. For lack of better terms, they are the Trumpettes, the Christians and the Establishment.

I have pondered occasionally during this election whether the Establishment Republicans wouldn't get their way fastest by taking their money, their network and their ground game and just walking away from the GOP and performing a coup on the Libertarian Party. Leaving the Single Issue voters behind. The fringe of the Dem party that is available to them would be open to a not-crazy version of Libertarianism that walked the walk of "Fiscally conservative, socially libertarian," I think. Is that enough? Not at first, surely. But over time I think they could pull it off. Spend 4 years building an actually doable platform and convincing existing politicians to switch parties. Run a sane candidate in 2020, maybe lose, and have a shot at 2024.

The Libertarians would all leave though, because it wouldn't be ideologically pure then. That's the problem with a two party system. The Libs will always be small, because if you want more people under your tent, it means you have to compromise. Once you compromise, the party isn't the same anymore, ideologically speaking.

there is a lot of overlap among these three groups, so much in fact I wonder how you define the boundaries?

and there is nothing new in the rhetoric of DJT. Everything he says (outside of shooting HRC, grabbing pussies, and lusting after his daughter, you know, things like that) has been said before, has been written into the party platform.

There is nothing new here. trump is the end of result of what the GOP stands for.

The party is a snake. And snakes do snakey things because it is their nature. Know that before you take it in or are taken in by it.

That's a good point and one I've been making for awhile. Trump hasn't been saying anything new, he just really shines a light on it by being blunt. Listen to a webcast or Conservative AM radio in the last 8 years and you'll hear the same.

Yabut some of those AM radio jerks are a lot better than Trump at using "the code". They don't have to actually say "ban muslims" or "Mexicans are rapists" - it's written between the lines. Trump seems to be too stupid and self involved to learn that art, let alone master it.

When Romney lost, the Republican consensus was that he was not conservative enough. A Trump defeat will simply reinforce that consensus in my opinion. What I think they are missing is that the GOP's intransigence in Congress played into Trump's hand as an outsider who can get things done. Trump clearly touched a live nerve among a significant portion of the electorate. IMO, if he had been a little less scary to most people, he could have beaten HRC.

Ya, there's a lot of overlap between the groups and they're more general categories than anything else.

Also, the people doing the rebuilding of the Republican party are the ones who have been taken in by it. The Establishment GOP honestly think that Trump is an aberration and not the inevitable consequence of their last few decades of policy and actions. The Christian GOP honestly think that they've compromised their values for the sake of fielding a winning candidate for the last few elections and haven't been given a decent shot with their own guy. The Trumpettes honestly think that the problem is with everybody else and not them. None of those attitudes lead to compromise and coming together to work for common goals.

The only winner in the whole thing is Hillary Clinton who gets elected twice when she was easily beatable both times. And yes, I am talking about her 2020 victory when the GOP can't pull their shit together to unseat her.

That's pretty much what we have up here in Canada. We have the Conservatives on the right, the NDP on the left and the Liberals sitting in the middle. Even though the Liberals are more left wing than not, they have a much broader range of appeal than the other two parties and that's worked out well for them electorally. While there have been many occasions where they've lost out on power due to vote splitting on the left, their position on the political spectrum has been far more of a benefit to them than a cost.

Seriously. No shit. What happens?

They will ignore this result, saying the problem was that Trump wasn't conservative enough. That in 2020 they need to find a "True Conservative©" to run against Crooked Hillary™. Or they will have to dig up the Reagans.

When Romney lost, the Republican consensus was that he was not conservative enough. A Trump defeat will simply reinforce that consensus in my opinion. What I think they are missing is that the GOP's intransigence in Congress played into Trump's hand as an outsider who can get things done. Trump clearly touched a live nerve among a significant portion of the electorate. IMO, if he had been a little less scary to most people, he could have beaten HRC.

Well Trump seems to be trying that... he started the third debate very softly spoken.. .which lasted about 4 minutes until he just couldn't maintain himself any longer.

- - - Updated - - -

how much, "it was rigged!" do you think will really happen?... or is the populous primed enough for that to simply backfire in the extreme?

The party is only in trouble in national elections in presidential years. They do alright in state elections in off years.

Last edited:
I think Reince Priebus (sp?) will be looking for a new job very soon.

Ya, there's a lot of overlap between the groups and they're more general categories than anything else.

Also, the people doing the rebuilding of the Republican party are the ones who have been taken in by it. The Establishment GOP honestly think that Trump is an aberration and not the inevitable consequence of their last few decades of policy and actions. The Christian GOP honestly think that they've compromised their values for the sake of fielding a winning candidate for the last few elections and haven't been given a decent shot with their own guy. The Trumpettes honestly think that the problem is with everybody else and not them. None of those attitudes lead to compromise and coming together to work for common goals.

The only winner in the whole thing is Hillary Clinton who gets elected twice when she was easily beatable both times. And yes, I am talking about her 2020 victory when the GOP can't pull their shit together to unseat her.

Tom, never underestimate the American voter and his/her capacity to vote WRONG

It looks good for the Democrats to retake the Senate. Now. But in 2018, the GOP only has to defend 8 Senate seats and the Democrats have to defend 25 Senate seats. Realizing that, its obvious 2018 will be loud and raucous. So, short term, the GOP will work to take back the Senate full time.

America is not out of danger just yet. Out of 25 Senate seats in play, the GOP could conceivably take 1/3 or so, 8 seats, and the Senate reverts to GOP control.

Every time Stephanie Miller, on her radio program, mentions the name "Reince Priebus", she immediately follows it with the sound of growling, snarling, barking dogs.

Every four years I read an article about the end of one of the two major parties. It has never come to pass, no matter how much it would benefit the country were the two big parties to fall.

This is more of the same.

Every four years I read an article about the end of one of the two major parties. It has never come to pass, no matter how much it would benefit the country were the two big parties to fall.

This is more of the same.

Yeah - they're pretty resilient institutions. They never die, they just morph into the next generation of what their "leaders" think the American public will swallow.

Back
Top Bottom