• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What jazz are you listening to right now?

Literally, what I was listening to right when I read your post:

[youtube]2IA_lUWwQsQ[/youtube]

Note: Not all Sun Ra is as easy to listen to; he's very varied as a musician.

Now getting ready to listen to your Benny Goodman.

Back after listening. Very tasty. I'm mostly used to BG with a bigger band.

I am musically ignorant. Perhaps that is the reason that most jazz, to me, sounds like random noise. There are lots of musical styles I do not prefer to hear... but I get it... don't always like it, but they are.... musical... for lack of a descent vocabulary on the subject. Jazz, on the other hand, does not seem (to me) to be anywhere near that category of sound that one might stretch to call "music". The Star Trek Red Alert sound is more "musical", to me.

I am not saying people are dumb for liking Jazz... it has a following and whatever... Maybe I'm dumb for NOT liking Jazz... but I still say it stands alone as "not just music I don't particularly like - it just ain't even music".

It's like this to me... lets call the following sentence "a song":

"The Cellar Door is Ajar"

I like that... sounds nice.

another may be:

"Rat's face under mops"

I don't like that. Does not sound nice...

now Jazz is more like:

"Colir pwoop iddya storp~ !digad"

It's not even made up of words

This isn't quite jazz, but what is jazz anyway? Let's temporarily re-phrase the thread title to 'the music appreciators thread'.

Here's a playlist I made on Spotify of the instrumental albums released by Andrew Bird:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7dPctjGxzIYTSkCjHNLMce?si=n_s1v9d6QkKIapIX_UFdXg

I became a fan of his many years ago, but lately have been getting back into him, and it's only now that I'm appreciating just how talented he really is. He's a multi-instrumentalist, but moreover a classical violinist of a kind of contemporary, unique style.

Not quite the jazz vibe going on, but I thought some would be able to appreciate it.

I'd also add that 'instrumental' is a bit of a stretch for some of the playlist, but some of his albums are difficult to categorize.

[YOUTUBE]eWNj3L858xI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]xkkIinutG3A[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]VpH1Ayrof9o[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]5WojNaU4-kI[/YOUTUBE]

Cannonball Adderley, Autumn Leaves, from Album "Somethin' Else".

Sidemen: Miles Davis, Hank Jones, Sam Jones, Art Blakey

[youtube]u37RF5xKNq8[/youtube]

I’ve been listening to the (contemporary) Brad Mehldau trio recently. He’s been mentioned once or twice in the various jazz and piano threads, but I thought I’d post a link (Vimeo).

And I Love Her

He’s obviously influenced by Bill Evans and Keith Jarrett, but he’s his own man for sure. Speaking of Bill Evans, while he can seem somewhat abstract and cold, as has been mentioned (on the Piano Jazz thread?), I’ve been listening to him recently as well. This one may be, IIRC, the very first commercially released double tracked cut. I think it’s gorgeous (“Spartacus” Love Theme):

[youtube]NHKCUHESQTc[/youtube]

Not Exactly a Music Recording

This article from the New Yorker records beautiful images of some of the great jazz artists at work. I thought it would add a touch of counterpoint to the music that makes up this thread.

Django Reinhardt: Brazil From the 1950s when Django was using an electric pick-up.

[youtube]26UASuev6mI[/youtube]

I’ve been uploading CDs, and came across the recital by the Cedar Valley Community College lab band, from 2002. This cut features my son, Tharmas Jr. playing a lengthy guitar lead (1:19 – 3:40). I wish he’d stuck with jazz, but he’s spent the last ten or twelve years trying to make it as a singer-songwriter in Austin:

Don’t know the name of the piece

Had this album for awhile but just getting into it, nice jam.

[YOUTUBE]UtpuopSMdYg[/YOUTUBE]

This is a sweet 1944 10 minute race movie that was a "short subject" (back when movie shows had multiple components - cartoons, newsreels, etc). I was told that the guitarist was a white guy, and they weren't happy showing a white guy playing with black musicians, so they dyed his hands in grape juice and only showed his hands in close ups.

[youtube]88PwJX5gyxU[/youtube]

This pair released a record and live album recently which I've been into -

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tMwcpOgaic[/youtube]

These guys. Can't even call it fusion; they took the best of rock, jazz, blues and whatever else was lying around, and made amazing art.
Rip Walter Becker.

Me... about to pick up the black guitar on the right; my first new one in almost 40 years.
3xg.jpg

Interesting inlay...

inlay.jpg

Back
Top Bottom