• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What jazz are you listening to right now?

rousseau

Contributor
After reading Ted Gioia's 'The History of Jazz' back in 2014, one of the names that stuck with me was Wynton Marsalis. Lately, I realized he's one of few of those who'd be considered a 'great' that I haven't explored much, and with a Spotify subscription I've been going through his albums over the last few weeks.

Current listening: Two Men with the Blues

I'm a Dave Brubeck fan.

[YOUTUBE]vmDDOFXSgAs[/YOUTUBE]

I know that makes True Jazz Enthusiasts™ throw their drinks at me, but there it is.

Had a recent live release of his recorded at The Village Vanguard recommended on Twitter, couldn't find it so settled for the one prior.

I don't get to play it often. It drives my wife crazy. She doesn't like his voice.

Writer's Tears, Aberlour 12, Aberlour A'Bunadh and..

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMa2VaV3Voo[/youtube]

Paradise found.

I just had a couple glasses of wine so am going to post in this thread sans jazz.

Does anybody feel like the 'decline' of jazz was actually caused by a limit on the sounds you can make with jazz instruments?

After a while, various albums from different periods of jazz history all sound similar to me. And the history of jazz's progression has seemed not only logical, but that it's come to something of a logical end-point. In the beginning artists like Louis Armstrong started expressing themselves more vividly with their instruments. Then Charlie Parker / Miles Davis ushered in modern jazz, followed by Coltrane and Coleman's post-modern 'free' jazz which tended toward the abstract and basic noise. Now there's a fragmentation of styles and a bunch of artists who are open to playing whatever.

I don't know how you can build on what's already been done in the genre. Horatio Parker?

I agree, rosseau, but you never know when the next new era will come.

Don't forget to include some tunes in your post.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k94zDsJ-JMU[/YOUTUBE]

If you like some jazz-rock fusion, it is hard to go wrong with some Joe Zawinul:

[YOUTUBE]v=QKZcGAq5kKs[/YOUTUBE]

For something a little different
[YOUTUBE]v=FNzf1CfIAC8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]v=0-vLMi-Yshs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]v=WvXaCs3Pcq4[/YOUTUBE]
The keyboard player died in a scuba diving accident a few years ago.

I just had a couple glasses of wine so am going to post in this thread sans jazz.

Does anybody feel like the 'decline' of jazz was actually caused by a limit on the sounds you can make with jazz instruments?

After a while, various albums from different periods of jazz history all sound similar to me. And the history of jazz's progression has seemed not only logical, but that it's come to something of a logical end-point. In the beginning artists like Louis Armstrong started expressing themselves more vividly with their instruments. Then Charlie Parker / Miles Davis ushered in modern jazz, followed by Coltrane and Coleman's post-modern 'free' jazz which tended toward the abstract and basic noise. Now there's a fragmentation of styles and a bunch of artists who are open to playing whatever.

I don't know how you can build on what's already been done in the genre. Horatio Parker?

Have another drink, Rousseau…

The increasing abstraction paralleled what happened in classical music. Much of which I guess you would also consider noise: Stockhausen, Boulez, Elliott Carter etc. I don't, nor is Coleman, tho I don't like everything I've heard from him, and especially not Coltrane.

But that's not all that was going on in say 1965. Lee Morgan, Mingus, Horace Silver, Bobby Hutcherson, and many others were not in the avant grade. Those traditional approaches will not go away.

As for building on the genre, of course it'll happen. Not as quickly, maybe and in unforeseen ways but I it's not over by a long shot. The fusion of African and European musics, dominated by African Americans, has taken over the whole planet. No, it's not over.

Can you get to this? Problem is, you have to listen to the whole thing. Keep looking for something. It's there. Maybe a joint to go along with that wine…Coltrane was an acid head, you know.

Have another drink, Rousseau…

The increasing abstraction paralleled what happened in classical music. Much of which I guess you would also consider noise: Stockhausen, Boulez, Elliott Carter etc. I don't, nor is Coleman, tho I don't like everything I've heard from him, and especially not Coltrane.

But that's not all that was going on in say 1965. Lee Morgan, Mingus, Horace Silver, Bobby Hutcherson, and many others were not in the avant grade. Those traditional approaches will not go away.

As for building on the genre, of course it'll happen. Not as quickly, maybe and in unforeseen ways but I it's not over by a long shot. The fusion of African and European musics, dominated by African Americans, has taken over the whole planet. No, it's not over.

Can you get to this? Problem is, you have to listen to the whole thing. Keep looking for something. It's there. Maybe a joint to go along with that wine…Coltrane was an acid head, you know.

Didn't mean to be derogatory with the 'basic noise' term, I can totally get down to free jazz. Listened to 'Meditations', of all things, on the way home from work the other day. I had enough joints in college to get it.

By 'basic noise' I mean that as you move along the 'free jazz' tangent, eventually the music is so deconstructed that there is no music. Most free jazz artists seem to stop before that point, but the point was that the end of the free jazz tangent sounds like the end of jazz to me. The combinations that are actually harmonic to some extent have reached a conclusion.

Maybe I'm too rational about it, but I agree with your analysis above.

Didn't mean to be derogatory with the 'basic noise' term, I can totally get down to free jazz. Listened to 'Meditations', of all things, on the way home from work the other day. I had enough joints in college to get it.

By 'basic noise' I mean that as you move along the 'free jazz' tangent, eventually the music is so deconstructed that there is no music. Most free jazz artists seem to stop before that point, but the point was that the end of the free jazz tangent sounds like the end of jazz to me. The combinations that are actually harmonic to some extent have reached a conclusion.

Maybe I'm too rational about it, but I agree with your analysis above.

Glad to hear it. Sorry I got it wrong.

I don't know why it should be the end. Anyway, the progression is not from pretty music to noise. It's trying to use other sounds or combination of sounds. And influences from European modern classical music combined with improvisation.

Makes sense.

That is something that I've noticed on Spotify and described in Ted Gioia's New Millennium section in his History of Jazz. Many new jazz artists are fuzing it's basic elements with other styles. Admittedly, not something I've looked into in depth yet, but if you were to tell me that was the future of jazz, I'd believe you.

Although, at some point how you define what jazz actually is comes into question.

Back
Top Bottom