• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What music are you listening to right now? (Warning: Lotsa videos)

Amazon Music's algorithm is weird.

The other day, I had this song in my head I used to play when I was on country radio. I hadn't heard it in forever, so I looked it up and played it on my way home from work.

When it was done, the next song was another "oh wow, I haven't heard this in years" record. A long string of 90s country songs from artists that in some cases never made it out of the 90s. A few one hit wonders, a few that I met and were really nice, and even a couple who are no longer with us (Mindy McCready, Joe Diffie). It was like the app was in my head, and I didn't skip a single track.

The next day I was in a bit of a rush to get out the door, so I just picked a "90s Country" channel, figuring it would give me some more "oh wow" records. Nope. It was a parade of all the songs that I played to death as a DJ and mostly never want to hear again. No "could've been bigger" artists. No "I hung out with those guys" memories. Just the same "A" records that were driven into the ground by my former business. I skipped every one, and wound up just switching to NPR on the radio.

In my opinion, peak Simple Minds

Live The American (or A MEREE, A MEREE, A MEREE, A MEREE, A-MERA-KAN

At this point Simple Minds were bigger than U2 and were on an upward trajectory.

Probably my favorite Simple Minds song, 30 Frames A Second.

Which was the B side to I, Travel

From their 1980 album Empires and Dance.

Simple Minds were so ahead of their time.

From their 1979 album, Real to Real Cacophony, Changeling

Back
Top Bottom