• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What my bike has taught me about white privilege.

And it is your kind of mentality, not the mentality of cyclists, which is the reason that the US has many times the cycling fatalities per miles traveled than the Netherlands. You put the onus on cyclists to take responsibility for their own safety; we place the responsibility on society as a whole, leading to a far safer traffic environment for everyone involved and far fewer deaths and injuries.

It is your mentality that results in why the public is so scientifically illiterate and incapable of interpreting the meaning of statistics.
Everything I have been saying about the reckless behavior of cyclists in the US could easily explain the greater cycling deaths in the US. I have been to many European cities and even ridden bikes in them, and the bikers are far more respectful of the law and less self-righteously flippant that the laws don't apply to them. Not to mention, do you really not grasp the other factors that differ between the US and Netherlands, like for example the % of bike riding that occurs in crowded city streets with population densities unlike anything that the Netherlands has? When high numbers of cars and bikes are travelling on the same complex network of roads with non-stop traffic through countless intersections, it is going to lead to more cycling deaths (and vehicle deaths in general which are all higher in the US).

Your mentality might appeal more to your personal anger issues, but ours is far more practical, and better for your blood pressure too.
The cyclists are the one's who complain, as in the OP. I am just noting the self-righteous hypocrisy of their victimhood mentality. It might actually be somewhat causal that their victimhood mentality makes them feel justified in violating the laws, which thus puts them in more danger than what they are claiming to be victims of.
If they didn't play the victim role so much, I probably wouldn't be so hard on them for being so reckless.
Regardless, driving in the city is an inherently dangerous thing with non-stop threats that you have to be ready for. Anyone who isn't a bit stressed driving or riding in a major city isn't paying attention and are the most dangerous people on the road. I have lived in 3 of the US's most crowded cities during my 30 years of daily driving and have zero accidents and 1 moving violation to show for it. There are plenty of reckless selfish jerks in cars (and especially SUVs, and usually on their phone), but cyclists by far violate more safety laws and they are the one's complaining as a political movement about their safety.

It is a fact that blacks have lower average GPAs, SAT scores, and IQ scores.

Is it therefore not at racist to use the term "black idiocy" to refer to this?
It certainly would be insulting and ignorant because people with lower GPA and SAT scores are not necessarily idiots. I suppose one could redefine idiocy so that was true, but that redefinition would be idiotic.

You do worse on so many vastly different kinds of assessments of knowledge and reasoning skills, then the term idiot probably does apply. It might not be the nicest way of putting it, but it isn't conceptually invalid. Regardless, you can substitute words like "ignorance" (or are you going to claim that people who don't know the answers across numerous types of questions are not "ignorant" of those answers). Still, even if the tests reflect a kind of ignorance, the term "black ignorance" would be racist, because it denotes not merely that black people on average are more ignorant of this knowledge, but that the ignorance is an aspect of and can be inferred from their blackness.

It is your mentality that results in why the public is so scientifically illiterate and incapable of interpreting the meaning of statistics.
Everything I have been saying about the reckless behavior of cyclists in the US could easily explain the greater cycling deaths in the US. I have been to many European cities and even ridden bikes in them, and the bikers are far more respectful of the law and less self-righteously flippant that the laws don't apply to them. Not to mention, do you really not grasp the other factors that differ between the US and Netherlands, like for example the % of bike riding that occurs in crowded city streets with population densities unlike anything that the Netherlands has? When high numbers of cars and bikes are travelling on the same complex network of roads with non-stop traffic through countless intersections, it is going to lead to more cycling deaths (and vehicle deaths in general which are all higher in the US).

Your mentality might appeal more to your personal anger issues, but ours is far more practical, and better for your blood pressure too.
The cyclists are the one's who complain, as in the OP. I am just noting the self-righteous hypocrisy of their victimhood mentality. It might actually be somewhat causal that their victimhood mentality makes them feel justified in violating the laws, which thus puts them in more danger than what they are claiming to be victims of.
If they didn't play the victim role so much, I probably wouldn't be so hard on them for being so reckless.
Regardless, driving in the city is an inherently dangerous thing with non-stop threats that you have to be ready for. Anyone who isn't a bit stressed driving or riding in a major city isn't paying attention and are the most dangerous people on the road. I have lived in 3 of the US's most crowded cities during my 30 years of daily driving and have zero accidents and 1 moving violation to show for it. There are plenty of reckless selfish jerks in cars (and especially SUVs, and usually on their phone), but cyclists by far violate more safety laws and they are the one's complaining as a political movement about their safety.

"Population densities unlike anything the Netherlands has"? Keep digging that hole. The  Randstad metropolitan area (including Amsterdam) has a population density more than twice that of Greater Boston.

It certainly would be insulting and ignorant because people with lower GPA and SAT scores are not necessarily idiots. I suppose one could redefine idiocy so that was true, but that redefinition would be idiotic.

You do worse on so many vastly different kinds of assessments of knowledge and reasoning skills, then the term idiot probably does apply. It might not be the nicest way of putting it, but it isn't conceptually invalid.
I think the magnitudes of the differences would be important. For example, a 0.001% lower score on average would not indicate idiocy to me. And, of course, that even assumes that those measures (in particular, GPA) are good measures of knowledge or reasoning skills.
Regardless, you can substitute words like "ignorance" (or are you going to claim that people who don't know the answers across numerous types of questions are not "ignorant" of those answers). Even if the tests reflect a kind of ignorance, the term "black ignorance" would be racist, because it denotes not merely that black people on average are more ignorant of this knowledge, but that the ignorance is an aspect of and can be inferred from their blackness.
Then why did you even bother to ask the question if you already knew the answer?

Thanks, doubingt, for demonstrating beyond reasonable doubt that you're incapable of putting yourself in someone else's shoes for even a minute. QED.

1 in 10 cyclists stopping at stop signs is overly generous toward cyclists. Just this morning, in the 1/2 mile that I was driving on surface streets I saw 2 bicyclists and 1 ran a stop sign and the other ran a red light. In contrast, I've seen maybe 1-2 cars blow through stop signs and lights in the past year (I'm not talking racing to beat the yellow, I am talking just looking to see if there is traffic moving on the cross street and acting light the sign or light is not even there).

But there's a big difference: a reckless cyclist is at most times a minor nuisance to drivers while a reckless driver (and even a driver who isn't at all wantonly reckless, just insufficiently aware of the needs of cyclists) is a potentially lethal threat to cyclists.

Wrong. A reckless cyclist is a lethal threat to themselves, and they put themselves in at least as much danger as car drivers do.

That is not a contradiction to what I said. A reckless cyclist can be a lethal threat to themselves and yet a minor nuisance to drivers - and it would still be true that reckless drivers (including drivers that would never consider themselves as reckless) are also a lethal threat to cyclists. In other words, a reckless cyclist may well be the greatest danger to himself, and yet drivers (even drivers who consider themselves reasonable) are a much greater danger to the most reasonable cyclist than even the most reckless cyclist will ever be to drivers.

The main issue is that the greatest threat to most cyclists in urban areas is themselves. In addition, they do poser serious threats to drivers all the time. 3 times in just the past 2 days I witnessed cars have to react in dangerous ways to reckless selfish asshole behavior by cyclists. 2 of them blew through 4 way stops and then went diagonally through the intersection, such that they cut off cars in both directions then went the wrong way down one-way streets. There were cars already starting into the intersection that had to stop suddenly and could have been rear-ended. Also, just yesterday, I was passing two bikes that were in a nice safe bike lane, and just as I was passing one bike sped up into the car lane inches in front of me to pass the other bike forcing me to veer into the oncoming lane to avoid hitting them. Had a car been coming the other way at that moment, I could have been killed. I guess I need to try and train my instincts to not veer to avoid bikes coming into my lane and just hit them.
Oh, and that doesn't count the two other bikers I saw today speed right through red lights, timing it so they went between the cars coming on the cross street.
Given this thread, I made an effort the past two days to attend to every biker approaching a 4 way intersection with a stop sign or a red light. This situation occurred 4 times in the 1 mile of non-highway driving I did in the past 2 days. All 4 bikers blew the sign or light, despite cars coming on the cross road or already stopped at the sign an starting to enter the intersection. I didn't see 1 biker actually stop at a stop sign or light.

I have directly witnessed 3 serious bike wrecks in the past year, and all were blatantly the fault of reckless, law-breaking cyclist behavior, such as riding the wrong way down a one-way street, and weaving around cars then abruptly turning left without warning/signaling. Also, this is a threat to car drivers too, who are often forced to suddenly break to avoid hitting reckless cyclists, of even to veer into an oncoming lane because one cyclist illegally passes another by veering into the car lane as cars are passing (which I had to do just last night).

To pick one of your complaints:
Why pick one?

Because, unlike some people, I have no intention to make two-page essays out of my posts.

IOW, you have no intention of providing any evidence or detailed explanation and are incapable of even pretending to counter most of my points, so you pick the one where you can make up some bullshit.

I don't know whether your city's one-way streets have exceptions for cyclists (in my city, many though not all do).

It is illegal in my city, and the fact that such an inherently dangerous special exemption is given to bicyclists is some cities only goes against the overall argument of whining victimization (in addition to the fact that they are almost never cited for their constant violations of traffic laws). One way streets are generally narrow with minimal room for passing and usually slow max speeds. When a cyclist is going in the same direction, the passing speed average around 10 mph and it is easy to wait to pass the cyclist when its safest (e.g., when the road widens, or at the next stop sign in the rare change the cyclist stops).

That's a joke, right? I don't count the number of times cars overtake me in narrow lanes literally ten meters away from a red trafic light! If they can't even refrain from doing it when it's obvious they don't gain anything from it (I'll easily catch up with them as they wait for the trafic lights), why should I trust them to wait for a safe opportunity? In certain kinds there's of streets, I've taken to the habit of riding in the middle of the lane - and that's not being reckless, it's being self-preserving. If the street widens, or if a couple of empty parking lots in a row, I'll pull to the side to let any cars pass me. I might even wait to let several cars pass. But I want to be in control of when they overtake me because it's an empirical fact that drivers cannot be trusted to wait for a safe opportunity.

Its an empirical fact that bikers cannot be trusted to obey any traffic law. I don't consider riding in the road when there is no bike lane to be reckless, but riding the wrong way down a one street is.

When the cyclist is coming in the opposite direction, you now have two vehicles coming at each other on a narrow road at a speed = the sum of each of their speeds, which would typically be 40 mph on a 25mph one-way road. That means a bike coming the wrong way quadruples the passing speed, which not only exponentially increases harm when an accident occurs, but greatly increases the odds of a collision in part by reducing the reaction times and reduces the odds that both parties have time to see each other before they pass.

Bullshit. The fact that I see the car, and can determine whether the driver has seen me, gives me a chance to pull out that I don't have with a car coming from behind. It's true that the harm when an accident occurs is greater, but the chances are orders of magnitude smaller, not larger.

So, according to you, two vehicles negotiating the room needed to pass in a narrow space are much less likely to collide at a passing speed of 40 mph than 10 mph? Every ounce of logic says otherwise. Also, if there are cars parked on the side of the road as is often the case, then there is little you can do to avoid them. The safest thing is to ensure they see you, which is more likely when they have 4 times as much time to notice you because the passing speed is 1/4 what it is when you are coming at them.

The two are forced to pass each other without having the option of waiting for an safer moment, and to do so at much higher speeds with less time to see and react to each other. Also, when a reasonable cyclist is already riding the correct way down the one-way street, then the wrong-way cyclists creates a situation where 3 vehicles are trying to pass each other on a narrow one-way road.

Didn't you just say drivers wait for a safe spot to pass? Are you retracting that ridiculous claim now?

First, no, I did not say that. That is your poor comprehension skills are at work. I said if they are travelling in the same direction, then they can wait for a safer place to pass, if it is not possible to pass safely. I didn't say they always do this, but they certainly often do. I do it on a regular basis as does every driver I ride with. They constantly slow down and ride behind a biker, a delay passing until they feel they can better negotiate it. Most importantly, when you are riding the opposite direction, this is largely impossible to do. Apparently you don't grasp basic principles of objects in motion, but when they are moving in opposite directions, they have no choice but to pass each other, and given the passing speed, its going to be rather quick and without much of any choice as to where. If I come around a turn and see 100 feet in front of me, and see that there is no good spot to pass right now, I can slow down a bit so by the time I reach you, there is a better spot. But if you are coming at me, that is not an option, we are forced to pass each other at some point within that 100 feet between us when I first see you, which at 40mph combined speed will happen in less than 2 seconds. Maybe a basic test of physics understanding should be required to get a bike riding permit.

Not to mention, the danger it poses when any vehicle (car or bike) are pulling out onto a one-way street. The safest way to pull onto a street is to look in the direction from which traffic is coming as you pull into the lane from which the traffic is coming. When making a left turn on a two-way street, that means you focus on looking left as you pull into the road, then shift focus to the right as you enter that lane of traffic. With a one-way street, there is only a single lane, which is not a problem if traffic can only come from a single direction. But when it can come from both directions but within a single lane, they you are fucked. You are forced to pull into the lane while focussed on one direction. Sure, you can and should look first in the other direction, but that is not the same and not as safe. The fact that you would put forth the idea that cycling the wrong way down narrow city streets can be made legal and blindly dismiss the inherent increase in danger this causes whether legal or not, shows that your baseless accusation of confirmation bias was pure hypocritical projection.

You will be glad to hear that cyclists are very much aware that they can easily be overseen

And yet they intentionally do things like go the wrong way that exponentially increase the odds that they will be overseen and hit, so they are either mentally disabled or lack value for their own well-being.

Am I expressing myself that poorly are are you just thick?

Yes, the safest thing is to ensure they see you, but a lot of drivers will proceed as if they hadn't seen you, so a lot of time, making sure that you can see them and gauge whether they've seen you and how they're going to proceed is a big plus. And that's one thing going the wrong way gives you. Now, I generally don't ride against one way rodes unless there are exceptions for cyclists, and those roads that have exceptions generally aren't the narrowest of narrow ones. Unless there's a truck or something that's too long for the parking lot standing into the lane, I and an upcoming car can pass each other without danger if we just slow down slightly. If there is a truck, I'll stop before I reach it to let the car pass. But yes, under these circumstances, it feels safer than going the same road in the opposite direction.

Your physics lessons are not required. Take some psychology instead. This isn't about physics, this is about perception.

Only your ignorance of physics would allow you claim that the dangers are not intimately tied to physics. The physics means that when they see you at a 100 feet away, they only have 1.5 seconds to react rather than 6. Yes, psychology is also relevant and perception depends upon the physics of the situation, because a driver is less likely to perceive riders in time to safely negotiate passing when they are coming straight on, as I explained in detail. And you fail in realizing that you are far more likely to get hit by a driver that doesn't see you in time or hasn't enough time to react, than by a driver that sees you but just doesn't care if they hit you. So, while safer from the psychology of an evil driver who won't see or avoid you no matter how easy you make it, you are less safe from the far more common driver that will try to notice you and try to avoid you, and are much more likely to do so when travelling in the same direction.

And, by the way, I do have a driving license and can directly compare. The only time I regularly drove was when I lived in the countryside, and I still find city driving stressful. But cyclists are not what makes it stressful.

Like I detailed, cyclists put me or drivers near me in danger 4 times in a mile of driving, far more so than any car drivers did in that mile. They don't pose a threat by hitting me (though they often do by hitting pedestrians), but rather by forcing me and other drivers to react to their illegal reckless acts to avoid hitting them, and thereby causing collisions with other cars.

Thanks, doubingt, for demonstrating beyond reasonable doubt that you're incapable of putting yourself in someone else's shoes for even a minute. QED.

1 in 10 cyclists stopping at stop signs is overly generous toward cyclists. Just this morning, in the 1/2 mile that I was driving on surface streets I saw 2 bicyclists and 1 ran a stop sign and the other ran a red light. In contrast, I've seen maybe 1-2 cars blow through stop signs and lights in the past year (I'm not talking racing to beat the yellow, I am talking just looking to see if there is traffic moving on the cross street and acting light the sign or light is not even there).

But there's a big difference: a reckless cyclist is at most times a minor nuisance to drivers while a reckless driver (and even a driver who isn't at all wantonly reckless, just insufficiently aware of the needs of cyclists) is a potentially lethal threat to cyclists.

Wrong. A reckless cyclist is a lethal threat to themselves, and they put themselves in at least as much danger as car drivers do.

That is not a contradiction to what I said. A reckless cyclist can be a lethal threat to themselves and yet a minor nuisance to drivers - and it would still be true that reckless drivers (including drivers that would never consider themselves as reckless) are also a lethal threat to cyclists. In other words, a reckless cyclist may well be the greatest danger to himself, and yet drivers (even drivers who consider themselves reasonable) are a much greater danger to the most reasonable cyclist than even the most reckless cyclist will ever be to drivers.

The main issue is that the greatest threat to most cyclists in urban areas is themselves. In addition, they do poser serious threats to drivers all the time. 3 times in just the past 2 days I witnessed cars have to react in dangerous ways to reckless selfish asshole behavior by cyclists. 2 of them blew through 4 way stops and then went diagonally through the intersection, such that they cut off cars in both directions then went the wrong way down one-way streets. There were cars already starting into the intersection that had to stop suddenly and could have been rear-ended. Also, just yesterday, I was passing two bikes that were in a nice safe bike lane, and just as I was passing one bike sped up into the car lane inches in front of me to pass the other bike forcing me to veer into the oncoming lane to avoid hitting them. Had a car been coming the other way at that moment, I could have been killed. I guess I need to try and train my instincts to not veer to avoid bikes coming into my lane and just hit them.
Oh, and that doesn't count the two other bikers I saw today speed right through red lights, timing it so they went between the cars coming on the cross street.
Given this thread, I made an effort the past two days to attend to every biker approaching a 4 way intersection with a stop sign or a red light. This situation occurred 4 times in the 1 mile of non-highway driving I did in the past 2 days. All 4 bikers blew the sign or light, despite cars coming on the cross road or already stopped at the sign an starting to enter the intersection. I didn't see 1 biker actually stop at a stop sign or light.

I have directly witnessed 3 serious bike wrecks in the past year, and all were blatantly the fault of reckless, law-breaking cyclist behavior, such as riding the wrong way down a one-way street, and weaving around cars then abruptly turning left without warning/signaling. Also, this is a threat to car drivers too, who are often forced to suddenly break to avoid hitting reckless cyclists, of even to veer into an oncoming lane because one cyclist illegally passes another by veering into the car lane as cars are passing (which I had to do just last night).

To pick one of your complaints:
Why pick one?

Because, unlike some people, I have no intention to make two-page essays out of my posts.

IOW, you have no intention of providing any evidence or detailed explanation and are incapable of even pretending to counter most of my points, so you pick the one where you can make up some bullshit.

I don't know whether your city's one-way streets have exceptions for cyclists (in my city, many though not all do).

It is illegal in my city, and the fact that such an inherently dangerous special exemption is given to bicyclists is some cities only goes against the overall argument of whining victimization (in addition to the fact that they are almost never cited for their constant violations of traffic laws). One way streets are generally narrow with minimal room for passing and usually slow max speeds. When a cyclist is going in the same direction, the passing speed average around 10 mph and it is easy to wait to pass the cyclist when its safest (e.g., when the road widens, or at the next stop sign in the rare change the cyclist stops).

That's a joke, right? I don't count the number of times cars overtake me in narrow lanes literally ten meters away from a red trafic light! If they can't even refrain from doing it when it's obvious they don't gain anything from it (I'll easily catch up with them as they wait for the trafic lights), why should I trust them to wait for a safe opportunity? In certain kinds there's of streets, I've taken to the habit of riding in the middle of the lane - and that's not being reckless, it's being self-preserving. If the street widens, or if a couple of empty parking lots in a row, I'll pull to the side to let any cars pass me. I might even wait to let several cars pass. But I want to be in control of when they overtake me because it's an empirical fact that drivers cannot be trusted to wait for a safe opportunity.

Its an empirical fact that bikers cannot be trusted to obey any traffic law. I don't consider riding in the road when there is no bike lane to be reckless, but riding the wrong way down a one street is.

When the cyclist is coming in the opposite direction, you now have two vehicles coming at each other on a narrow road at a speed = the sum of each of their speeds, which would typically be 40 mph on a 25mph one-way road. That means a bike coming the wrong way quadruples the passing speed, which not only exponentially increases harm when an accident occurs, but greatly increases the odds of a collision in part by reducing the reaction times and reduces the odds that both parties have time to see each other before they pass.

Bullshit. The fact that I see the car, and can determine whether the driver has seen me, gives me a chance to pull out that I don't have with a car coming from behind. It's true that the harm when an accident occurs is greater, but the chances are orders of magnitude smaller, not larger.

So, according to you, two vehicles negotiating the room needed to pass in a narrow space are much less likely to collide at a passing speed of 40 mph than 10 mph? Every ounce of logic says otherwise. Also, if there are cars parked on the side of the road as is often the case, then there is little you can do to avoid them. The safest thing is to ensure they see you, which is more likely when they have 4 times as much time to notice you because the passing speed is 1/4 what it is when you are coming at them.

The two are forced to pass each other without having the option of waiting for an safer moment, and to do so at much higher speeds with less time to see and react to each other. Also, when a reasonable cyclist is already riding the correct way down the one-way street, then the wrong-way cyclists creates a situation where 3 vehicles are trying to pass each other on a narrow one-way road.

Didn't you just say drivers wait for a safe spot to pass? Are you retracting that ridiculous claim now?

First, no, I did not say that. That is your poor comprehension skills are at work. I said if they are travelling in the same direction, then they can wait for a safer place to pass, if it is not possible to pass safely. I didn't say they always do this, but they certainly often do. I do it on a regular basis as does every driver I ride with. They constantly slow down and ride behind a biker, a delay passing until they feel they can better negotiate it. Most importantly, when you are riding the opposite direction, this is largely impossible to do. Apparently you don't grasp basic principles of objects in motion, but when they are moving in opposite directions, they have no choice but to pass each other, and given the passing speed, its going to be rather quick and without much of any choice as to where. If I come around a turn and see 100 feet in front of me, and see that there is no good spot to pass right now, I can slow down a bit so by the time I reach you, there is a better spot. But if you are coming at me, that is not an option, we are forced to pass each other at some point within that 100 feet between us when I first see you, which at 40mph combined speed will happen in less than 2 seconds. Maybe a basic test of physics understanding should be required to get a bike riding permit.

Not to mention, the danger it poses when any vehicle (car or bike) are pulling out onto a one-way street. The safest way to pull onto a street is to look in the direction from which traffic is coming as you pull into the lane from which the traffic is coming. When making a left turn on a two-way street, that means you focus on looking left as you pull into the road, then shift focus to the right as you enter that lane of traffic. With a one-way street, there is only a single lane, which is not a problem if traffic can only come from a single direction. But when it can come from both directions but within a single lane, they you are fucked. You are forced to pull into the lane while focussed on one direction. Sure, you can and should look first in the other direction, but that is not the same and not as safe. The fact that you would put forth the idea that cycling the wrong way down narrow city streets can be made legal and blindly dismiss the inherent increase in danger this causes whether legal or not, shows that your baseless accusation of confirmation bias was pure hypocritical projection.

You will be glad to hear that cyclists are very much aware that they can easily be overseen

And yet they intentionally do things like go the wrong way that exponentially increase the odds that they will be overseen and hit, so they are either mentally disabled or lack value for their own well-being.

Am I expressing myself that poorly are are you just thick?

Yes, the safest thing is to ensure they see you, but a lot of drivers will proceed as if they hadn't seen you, so a lot of time, making sure that you can see them and gauge whether they've seen you and how they're going to proceed is a big plus. And that's one thing going the wrong way gives you. Now, I generally don't ride against one way rodes unless there are exceptions for cyclists, and those roads that have exceptions generally aren't the narrowest of narrow ones. Unless there's a truck or something that's too long for the parking lot standing into the lane, I and an upcoming car can pass each other without danger if we just slow down slightly. If there is a truck, I'll stop before I reach it to let the car pass. But yes, under these circumstances, it feels safer than going the same road in the opposite direction.

Your physics lessons are not required. Take some psychology instead. This isn't about physics, this is about perception.

Only your ignorance of physics would allow you claim that the dangers are not intimately tied to physics. The physics means that when they see you at a 100 feet away, they only have 1.5 seconds to react rather than 6. Yes, psychology is also relevant and perception depends upon the physics of the situation, because a driver is less likely to perceive riders in time to safely negotiate passing when they are coming straight on, as I explained in detail. And you fail in realizing that you are far more likely to get hit by a driver that doesn't see you in time or hasn't enough time to react, than by a driver that sees you but just doesn't care if they hit you. So, while safer from the psychology of an evil driver who won't see or avoid you no matter how easy you make it, you are less safe from the far more common driver that will try to notice you and try to avoid you, and are much more likely to do so when travelling in the same direction.

Untrue. Even the driver that will try to notice you might not. Even the driver that has noticed you and tries to avoid you might misgauge what it takes to avoid a cyclist (e.g., move past at a far too small distance without realising). The chance that you oversee a car, on the other hand, is essentially zero (start with: because cars are bigger), and having seen the car gives you agency.

And, by the way, I do have a driving license and can directly compare. The only time I regularly drove was when I lived in the countryside, and I still find city driving stressful. But cyclists are not what makes it stressful.

Like I detailed, cyclists put me or drivers near me in danger 4 times in a mile of driving, far more so than any car drivers did in that mile. They don't pose a threat by hitting me (though they often do by hitting pedestrians), but rather by forcing me and other drivers to react to their illegal reckless acts to avoid hitting them, and thereby causing collisions with other cars.

I challenge you to put your car in the garage for a week and cycle everywhere you're going. I promise you that a whole new word of (unintential) recklessness on the hands of drivers will open up.

Juma said:
None says that blacks are underprivileged just by being blacks. Noone says that being black is in itself the cause to being underprivileged.The cause is how blacks are treated. I can understand if this fine nuance is beyond you.

And that's why this is a bad analogy. As you say, black people face barriers because we perceive and treat them differently, not because they inherently are different by nature. To say they are inherently different by nature is racist. Bicycles ARE different inherently by nature from cars. So pushing this analogy is actually racist.

Everything I have been saying about the reckless behavior of cyclists in the US could easily explain the greater cycling deaths in the US. I have been to many European cities and even ridden bikes in them, and the bikers are far more respectful of the law and less self-righteously flippant that the laws don't apply to them.

Oh you're fucking kidding me. You can NOT have been to Amsterdam and still make that claim with a straight face. Dutch cyclists in general do NOT follow traffic laws; and I say that as a dutch cyclist who does NOT follow traffic laws. And ironically, the law actually supports me in doing so; because our laws are such that even if cyclists are CLEARLY 100% at fault for an accident, the law is such that the involved car drivers are still treated as if they are 50% responsible; because, one guy is a dude on a flimsy slow bike with no real protection from the other dude, who'se travelling in a metal behemoth travelling at speeds that can knock down walls and break every bone in the cyclist's body. It's a matter of social responsibility; something you don't seem to have heard of.

Not to mention, do you really not grasp the other factors that differ between the US and Netherlands, like for example the % of bike riding that occurs in crowded city streets with population densities unlike anything that the Netherlands has?

What are you even talking about, you do realize we have a far higher population density than you, right? The only places where the US has higher densities are in a handful of metropolitan downtowns. And those are hardly "unlike anything we have". What a complete fail of an argument.

When high numbers of cars and bikes are travelling on the same complex network of roads with non-stop traffic through countless intersections, it is going to lead to more cycling deaths (and vehicle deaths in general which are all higher in the US).

Again, you have obviously never been to somewhere like Amsterdam; where such situations exist in ample abundance without serious incident, despite the fact that all the cyclists are a bunch of cycling singularities of chaos. Even American cyclists think of Amsterdam cycling is anarchism; and they're all surprised and amazed that it nonetheless somehow works.

The cyclists are the one's who complain, as in the OP.

As well they should, they are the weaker party in traffic after all; it is the responsibility of car drivers to take appropriate measures to ensure cyclist's safety on top of whatever measures the cyclists themselves take. The only way you're going to get lower deaths in the US is if you guys start accepting the idea of shared responsibility, rather than rage against and blame each other like a bunch of clueless lemmings.

US cities are not like Amsterdam. As others in this thread have remarked, cyclists here often ignore stop signs and red lights, weave through cars, dart out from seemingly nowhere, and can slow traffic dramatically - which can be dangerous to both the cyclist and motorist. In the US, the conduct of cyclists do not make them sympathetic figures. If you want to persuade people to your argument, at least pick a theme which doesn't draw immediate ire.

Like I pointed out to said others; Amsterdam actually IS exactly like that. Worse so in many respects, even. Seriously, go cycle here and see if you can still make that claim; we do not give a shit about road laws.

You put the onus on cyclists to take responsibility for their own safety; we place the responsibility on society as a whole, leading to a far safer traffic environment for everyone involved and far fewer deaths and injuries.
I can't remember where I saw this perhaps a documentary but Denmark has a very good philosophy regarding traffic safety. That don't solely rely on traffic fines or laws to prevent accidents. They also redesign the roads in trouble spots. Obviously their solution based approach works better than simply trying to punish and blame motorists.

Denmark is behind us in terms of cycling safety, actually; and their solutions are in fact based on what we did long before them (or anyone else). Yes, we redesign the roads where possible; we have an entirely separate infrastructure for cyclists where possible and this works exceptionally well. This is not, however, possible in a lot of places (like downtown Amsterdam for instance), and in such a places it is often a free for all for us cyclists; and we act as if we own the road... because according to the law we kind of do. In any traffic situation, cyclists always have the right of road. This isn't because we 'blame motorists' perse, it's because as a society, we recognize that cyclists are much much more vulnerable than motorists, and so we say that it is the responsibility of motorists to take that into consideration; even if the cyclists behave like asshole at times. Based on the comments of American motorists, they seem to lack any and all empathy or consideration for cyclists, and feel entitled to endanger the cyclists who share the roads. So yes, it's no wonder that cycling deaths are far higher over there than they are here. The problem is with the mentality of drivers (and urban planners as well, yes), not cyclists. If cyclists can behave like anarchists over here without serious incident, then they should be able to do so over there as well.

"Population densities unlike anything the Netherlands has"? Keep digging that hole. The  Randstad metropolitan area (including Amsterdam) has a population density more than twice that of Greater Boston.

And specific cities in the Randstad have much higher densities than that. The Hague is about the same as San Francisco, for instance. The only large urban area in the US that really sticks out is NYC; but then, we weren't talking about NYC specifically.

Interesting tidbit

Although a collision with an automobile is the greatest hazard cyclists face, there’s one reassuring bit of news: the fact is, it’s a relatively uncommon occurrence. Most bicycle accidents are in fact solo accidents involving a defect or some other hazard in the road or trail. Additionally, in most accidents, whether involving a road hazard or an automobile, the rider is a child. In short, collisions between adult cyclists and automobiles are relatively rare occurrences.
http://www.bicyclelaw.com/p.cfm/legal-issues-for-cyclists/about-bicycle-accidents

http://www.elkharttruth.com/living/...inking-about-the-consequences-for-others.html

This blog is written by a cyclist, who agrees with those here who put the weight of cyclists safety on the cyclist.

While I was reading it, I kept thinking, "I have read this before."

And then it hit me.

Up from Slavery

This was classic Booker T. Washington and his philosophy of don't rock the boat, be exemplary in all you do and white supremacists will like you.

But the blogger gives his argument away and actually admits why no matter how law abiding cyclists are, aggressive motorists will never like them
Make no mistake: Motorists are watching how cyclists behave on the road. A few are happy for any opportunity to point out cyclists’ irresponsible behavior and to use that behavior as evidence that these law breakers make the roads dangerous, and, therefore, proof that they don’t deserve a place in our transportation system. Some, as I’ve said, respond to cyclist law breaking by become aggressive toward the next cyclist they see, acting out their anger vigilante-style by tailgating cyclists, cutting them off as they approach an intersection, throwing bottles or cans, or passing six inches from the cyclist at high speed (all actions I’ve experienced). All of these are actions intended to intimidate cyclists in the hope that they will become too afraid to ride on what motorists perceive as their roads.

Interesting tidbit

Although a collision with an automobile is the greatest hazard cyclists face, there’s one reassuring bit of news: the fact is, it’s a relatively uncommon occurrence. Most bicycle accidents are in fact solo accidents involving a defect or some other hazard in the road or trail. Additionally, in most accidents, whether involving a road hazard or an automobile, the rider is a child. In short, collisions between adult cyclists and automobiles are relatively rare occurrences.
http://www.bicyclelaw.com/p.cfm/legal-issues-for-cyclists/about-bicycle-accidents
I'm not surprised. One of the biggest hazards to cycling here is the poor conditions of the roads. This past winter left behind a lot of potholes and other kinds of road damage. Some of the damage has been fixed; a lot of it has not.

A fundamental problem with the analogy is that bicycles and cars are very different in their very nature, and categorically, so You rightly need different rules for them. This has little if anything to do with how we perceive them. Bicycles by their very nature are slow and frail. They have very different needs and abilities than cars do, and discrimination is important between the two.

This analogy would be far better made with the handicapped.

The analogy is quite good - a big part of the problem cyclists face is that drivers are unaware of their needs,
IMO a significant point in this discussion. And reaching back to the analogy from the OP article. Problem being the number of people who live a sheltered existence and have no idea about the needs of others. Further, how many are in fact willing to place themselves in the shoes of cyclists or/and groups designated as ethnic minorities? Throughout the history of mankind, minority groups have had to fight various systems to obtain equal consideration to majority groups.

Car drivers symbolize a majority on roads. Many of them act very territorial when encountering cyclists. It matters not to them that I take precautions to make sure I will be fully visible to them, equipping my recumbent with flashing back and front lights, with a flag mounted on a pole in the back of my solo trike. I am perceived as a nuisance by them. I am supposed to be riding on a sidewalk because they are to own the roads. That was even more noted when we would still ride our recumbent tandem, our X2 from Ice. The main reason why we sold it a few months ago is because it had become so unsafe to ride it on roads in the Tampa Bay area. We had to haul it on a trailer to distant bike trails(like the Pinellas Trail) to even be able to enjoy it safely.

Keeping up with the starting flow of traffic as a red light would turn green was a bear! We are talking here of a 2 men powered machine. No matter which intense efforts we would invest in our start to not delay cars behind us, you can be sure there would be a number of car drivers gesticulating rudely at us, some honking their horns like maniacs. Obviously those folks are so used to only place pressure on a gas pedal to obtain any speed that they certainly had no idea of how much physical effort we had to invest to gain speed from the get go to not inconvenience them.

The analogy stands and again because minorities are often dismissed when it comes to the formulation of laws. Majority groups assuming that role as the predominant group who often tends to look for what is in their group best interest. It is in the best interest of car drivers to get rid off whomever they perceive as a nuisance. The result being a territorial mentality on our roads. If those territorial mentality drivers do not go as far as physically harming cyclists, they certainly let us know that we are not welcome on "their roads". They want us separate and segregated. They want us relegated to riding on sidewalks plagued with uneven pavement, debris of all sorts etc...

and sometimes (including in this thread) actively refuse to learn about them.
Or pronounce cyclists as assholes. Might as well pronounce our ethnic minorities as assholes. Well...there already was an attempt to conclude that persons of Back ethnicity are idiots.

Such attempt so vividly reminded me of the rationalizing comments emitted by my French colonialist peers when I grew up in Africa. The natives were to be portrayed as not as intelligent as "nous, les Blancs". (We, Whites). Comments meant to uphold the sense of superiority to other ethnic groups so often claimed in the history of mankind by Caucasian ethnic groups. That sense of superiority alone has been the motivation, the driving factor in experiencing along with it the right to have privileges others should not have.

Now if you and this author could just grasp that a large % of bike riders are white, and many of the car drivers are black, then you'd understand why the concept of "white privilege" is so intellectually vacuous, not to mention racist.

But the bike rider analogy also highlights another comparison. At least in urban areas, bike riders are the most reckless, law-breaking, but self-righteous a@@holes on the road. Note the whining about the danger that car divers pose to them and the assertions about the "rights" of bike riders, without any acknowledgment of the responsibility bike riders have to obey all traffic laws, and yet nearly every one of them break these laws multiple times in every mile that they ride. I live a major city with many ever-increasing number of bike riders, and many bike lanes. Unless there is a car at the cross street, the odd of a bicyclist stopping at a stop sign is less than 1 in 10, and the same goes for red lights. They also constantly ride down one-way streets, and never signal when merging or making left turns.
Also, fewer than half wear helmets or any protective gear while engaging in these recklessly dangerous acts. In most major cities bicyclists have manufactured a kind of political identity and movement of victimhood, but the are their own worst enemies and greatest threat to themselves, yet they can never be heard acknowledging this.

HAHA! That was great! Was it sarcasm, cause it's cluelessness made me laugh? Not only did you totally miss the point of the analogy, you went on to point out that the blacks are all just 'uppity' and arrogant so it's their own fault anyway. Priceless!
Thank you for that beautiful example of continuing the analogy to demonstrate real world prejudice.

The analogy stands and again because minorities are often dismissed when it comes to the formulation of laws. Majority groups assuming that role as the predominant group who often tends to look for what is in their group best interest. It is in the best interest of car drivers to get rid off whomever they perceive as a nuisance. The result being a territorial mentality on our roads. If those territorial mentality drivers do not go as far as physically harming cyclists, they certainly let us know that we are not welcome on "their roads". They want us separate and segregated. They want us relegated to riding on sidewalks plagued with uneven pavement, debris of all sorts etc...

Again, it would be considered racist to say that there is a fundamental difference in the very nature of back people and white people. But there is a fundamental difference in the nature of bicycles and cars. It isn't a matter of people treating them differently based on biases and tribalism. In fact many of us both drive cars and ride bicycles.

If you wanted an apt analogy for this, perhaps it could be something like pickup trucks "rolling coal" on economy cars or people who hate foreign made cars and cut them off in traffic.

Again, it would be considered racist to say that there is a fundamental difference in the very nature of back people and white people. But there is a fundamental difference in the nature of bicycles and cars. It isn't a matter of people treating them differently based on biases and tribalism. In fact many of us both drive cars and ride bicycles.

If you wanted an apt analogy for this, perhaps it could be something like pickup trucks "rolling coal" on economy cars or people who hate foreign made cars and cut them off in traffic.

the debate is about motorists and cyclists, not cars and bikes.

Without the people both the car and the bike become lawn art because they don't move. This is an analogy about how people treat each other with regard to the modes of transportaion they use.

Back
Top Bottom