• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What the fuck Ferguson?

Eh - considering the years they spend siphoning money away from black residents in order to fund the government, this doesn't seem to be worth getting even slightly upset about.

That's no real victory. In the end nothing changes, except the local gov is now short a few million dollars. Nobody will learn, nobody cares. Problem over let's move on! NEXT!

No, it's coming from insurance. And for the moment, the best bet for actual reform is still the consent decree that Holder and Lynch worked out - although Sessions the racist keebler elf will likely try to sink that.

But I have no sympathy at all for the local government, or for the insurance that sold them a policy despite the obvious liability they posed by settin g up a white supremacist government.

So no, the taxpayers actually don't pay for anything. Had the case gone to trail and the city lost - then the taxpayers would have been on the hook for any amount over $3m (including defense costs).
Do you know how insurance works? If there is a payout, premiums go up.

I'm 3000% positive I know how insurance works. It is not true that every payout will cause the premiums to increase. And even if it did, I doubt it would be more than 10% since that's what would typically force the city back into the market. If they were paying $100,000 for this policy, they might now pay $110,000. $10,000 is hardly worth getting enraged over.

And if this had gone to trial, most likely the jury would have found against the Browns and McSpaddens and it the chance it would have awarded more than three million is infinitesimal.
People who are better at probability than you decided otherwise.
Cities need to start fighting these cases. If the cities decide to settle every time some dead thug's family sues, it merely encourages the next one to sue as well. If they start losing in court, the families would be less likely to file for justified shootings.
Actually, if they took the criminal cases against the cops more seriously, there would be fewer civil cases. Tort law is the only way any of these families can any kind of remediation.

aa

Eh - considering the years they spend siphoning money away from black residents in order to fund the government, this doesn't seem to be worth getting even slightly upset about.

So all that matters is that money goes to blacks, the merits are irrelevant? You're being very racist here.

Fines-for-revenue is a problem throuighout the United States. Why is it only considered a problem in places where majority of residents are black?

Ferguson had a problem with fines being used for revenue rather than public safety.

Fines-for-revenue is a problem throuighout the United States. Why is it only considered a problem in places where majority of residents are black?

Ferguson had a problem with fines being used for revenue rather than public safety.

Only reason I dont hate Portland's traffic cameras is because the money is kept 100% in its own pool to pay for the cameras and the note you get with the ticket (which you can appeal via mail) basically says they just want drivers ever so slightly afraid of running lights/speeding.

Do you know how insurance works? If there is a payout, premiums go up.

I'm 3000% positive I know how insurance works. It is not true that every payout will cause the premiums to increase. And even if it did, I doubt it would be more than 10% since that's what would typically force the city back into the market. If they were paying $100,000 for this policy, they might now pay $110,000. $10,000 is hardly worth getting enraged over.

Big payout, it's going up. And I would be shocked if the numbers were as low as you are giving.

Big payout, it's going up. And I would be shocked if the numbers were as low as you are giving.

Well I guess I only do this as my career. But by all means, tell me how it's going to go.

aa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTF are you talking about? The cop was never tried. Hell, he wasn't even charged. The shooting was NEVER declared "justified".
He wasn't charged because the shopoting was justfiied.

That Ferguson settled instead of fighting the frivolous lawsuit by the moneygrubbing (remember the physical fight over the profits from Michael Brown t-shirt sales between the two factions of the family?) family is unconsiounable. They should have fought, and they would have won. And the judge should have ordered the family to pay city's attorney's fees too.

This one doesn't understand the difference between the criminal justice system and the civil justice system. He's a funny guy.

So all that matters is that money goes to blacks, the merits are irrelevant? You're being very racist here.

Sounds like you meant to post this to Derec

No. I was referring to the words quoted above. He's saying the merits of the case don't matter, since the recipient is black it's not an issue.

So when you take stuff away from black people, it's not racist, but when you give it back to them, it is. You heard it here first.

No. I was referring to the words quoted above. He's saying the merits of the case don't matter, since the recipient is black it's not an issue.

Not true. Mumbles is saying that it makes no sense to get upset about what the recipient is getting and not upset about the government siphoning money from their neighborhoods that contributed to their social-economic position.

It's far less than ideal - which would be the town working to the advantage of everyone living there.

however...given what we know, I think the settlement is fine, and possibly a good first step.

All we know is that the settlement is for less than 3 million dollars. That means anywhere from $0 to $2,999,999.99. So, the settlement could be for a couple of million or it could be for a half a million or even ten thousand dollars for all we know.

Getting bent out of shape over a settlement of an unknown amount with a known upper limit is unnecessary. Presumably, the city (and the insurance company) weighed the expected expense of a trial and the likely outcome in determining the settlement amount.

I must have a faulty memory, because I cannot recall a thread where the anyone has a cow over a settlement for the death of a white thug. Can anyone help me out with a link to one?

Last edited:
So when you take stuff away from black people, it's not racist, but when you give it back to them, it is. You heard it here first.

If it's ok because the recipient is <insert race> then it's racist.

While Mumbles never exactly said that, I don't think you actually believe what you're writing. For example, you don't think giving Jewish people land is racist.

If it's ok because the recipient is <insert race> then it's racist.

While Mumbles never exactly said that, I don't think you actually believe what you're writing. For example, you don't think giving Jewish people land is racist.

Want me to say it?

Yes, Ferguson was, in effect, a white supremacist group. I hope they get dismantled due to this.

This is true of every racial supremacist group. If there';s a town that works to discriminate against against white people, I'll call them out as well. And that's not due to some sort of payback - it's just what's right.

Yes, Ferguson was, in effect, a white supremacist group.
Really? In what way? Because they used fines for revenue? Many places in the US do that. Why is it only wrong when it mostly affects blacks?
Also, I think using fines paid mostly by residents of a community to fund services used by residents of the community is much more ethical than using fines paid mostly by passers-through, such as is common for communities that have major highways go through them.

This is true of every racial supremacist group.
Including Black Lives Matter?

If there';s a town that works to discriminate against against white people, I'll call them out as well.
But was Ferguson discriminating against black people?

And what does any of it have to do with Michael Brown? Remember, he is the one who robbed a store and attacked a cop. That cop had a right to defend himself. To pay his family $1.5M is ridiculous. Whatever else may or may not have been going on in Ferguson, the Michael Brown case should only be about Michael Brown, not about larger political issues.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom