• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

I'm sorry, what just happened?

I was about to post about how I saw Adventure Time Season 5, and found it wonderful in a psychadelic/whimsical way, 9/10, but it seems I've stumbled on another psychedelic experience here!

LOL Archimedes, yeah that last post looked a little strange. I think I should clarify some things.
Keep Talking, I wouldn't obligate you to a PM conversation with me. It would feel like a chore to you and I'm not that selfish.
I should make a thread about where evil comes from and quit sataning up this thread, you're right. I don't usually talk about satan anymore, unless when using the word satan to refer to something I have no word for yet. I've typed the word satan over 200x in one day according to my computer. That would worry my Mother. I typed some variation of the term cannabis over 300x on another day, so that would ease her mind a bit I'd think.
Try searching the word you most often type. It is fun.

Understand that I'm not claiming to believe that satan is conscious, but I'm not limiting satan to the simple human impulse to do bad things either.
Using the word TV is as antiquated as saying satan but I don't like saying internet when trying to explain where behavior I know I can clearly point out, dwells. It isn't necessarily the internet, and the word internet looks a little stupid in text. Like wow the internet is evil-and? I choose TV to say because TV can be fun. It is also less of a moving target than the internet seems to be. I have no idea what strange and relevant things took shape today online, but TV is easy to track.
What I was getting at for a moment was the possibility that there can be something so powerful and negative to the mind, that it doesn't even need to exist at all, other than in a word. If you know of anything similar I'd like to know.
Also
I would like to use the word to describe a very real phenomenon. Anything infernal will do as far as actual words are concerned. Satan fills in the blank so well and it is irresistible. Lucifer is actually an amazing name. Probably would still be elegant and imposing without the confusing nonsense attached to it. It was chosen well for it's purpose. I'd feel I won the lottery If my parents named me Lucifer. But as for naming a phenomenon, I don't consider Bible heroes to be a phenomenon. Not as naked words in the absence of time machines.
I'd like to put something off like it is fact. That is reason enough to start searching new words. The emergence of my final conclusion's notes would coincide with a the season finale of a popular show called Lucifer. That would be the main reason for not saying Lucifer when making the discovery visual. Adding visuals and drama would of course come after the science processes of gathering things, moving them from one part of my table to another and jotting down some check marks and numbers. You don't have to be a science fair champ to expose satan for what it is. I'd think that identifying a behavior caused by satan would be easier still.

Last edited:
could-it-be-satan.jpg

Three Kingdoms

2010 Chinese series based on the classic Romance of Three Kingdoms. I'm a big fan of the original book, having read it several times, and I've enjoyed many a video game based on it, so this was a no-brainer for me. It's a long slog, though, 95 episodes, but based on the 8 episodes I've watched so far, it's not going to get boring even through the 70+ hours it'll take to get through it all.

What I'm trying to say is: this is fucking brilliant. 12½/10

I see the word satan on my screen and I betray my promise to stop. Satan is always trying to get us.

That last post looks a little strange. Maybe I should clarify things. This wouldn't be worth a thread so no use wasting internet space with all that.

As for the phenomenon and the internet, satan is responsible for the baffling need to do satan cartwheels for total strangers. You don't have to click far to see them doing it. Why are they so satanic? The cartwheels act like energy generators that make satan. It is a circle protected in delegitimizing truth, by mocking and satirizing the satanic reality we form. It is like... so apparent that is has to be a joke.

The electronics and the technology are essentially innocent and there are no demons using them to satanically rape us. Nothing is supernatural in actual reality but not many people live there. That is a problem because they create ugly things that become more real than not, and they fill a space becoming more real than real. You get it.

Better internet literacy and understanding of the media is vital to prevent Hell on earth, basically. Nothing supernatural or psychedelic about it. Maybe it is a little psychedelic but that is just a symptom of the problem, because satan is of course trying to create a cyber drug culture. That is a whole other thing.

Last edited:
C Mucius said:
Three Kingdoms

2010 Chinese series based on the classic Romance of Three Kingdoms. I'm a big fan of the original book, having read it several times, and I've enjoyed many a video game based on it, so this was a no-brainer for me. It's a long slog, though, 95 episodes, but based on the 8 episodes I've watched so far, it's not going to get boring even through the 70+ hours it'll take to get through it all.

How does it compare to the 1995 version?

C Mucius said:
Three Kingdoms

How does it compare to the 1995 version?

I haven't seen that version, so all I can say is how good I think this version is. High production values, good performances by the cast, and doesn't take liberties with the story.

OOOH, I'm glad to hear that. I'm not sure if you read my angry ranting review of the Red Cliffs movie. (not on this forum)

Three Kingdoms

how are the subtitles? i just watched 'journey to the west - conquering the demons' and was hugely amused.

Three Kingdoms

how are the subtitles? i just watched 'journey to the west - conquering the demons' and was hugely amused.

Seem fine to me. From the quotes I remember from the book, what's come up so far have been more or less the same. There's a thing they do, too: every time a major(ish) character appears on screen for the first time in an episode, they have an overlay next to his face with his name and courtesy name in English and in Chinese characters. With so many characters, it helps you keep track of everybody for the first few episodes. Of course some are instantly recognisable if you know the book (particularly Zhang Fei), but for anybody not familliar, and for less prominent characters, it's a great help.

You can check it out on youtube. here's the first episode:

Having just binged my way through Peep Show, I'm currently making my way through Toast of London. 8/10

Another sitcom that passed me by back in the day that I'm only now catching up on. I love quirky sitcoms like this.

FTWD 6.9/10

Fear The Walking Dead is getting stupid. They are driving characters insane too early. Rick wasn't 100% crazy til season 3?
Not enough undead. No sex. There should be one sex act for every 50 undead killed. No sympathy for any of them. Fail.

Underground 10/10

It's about southern slaves trying to flee to the free north. It's great. Explores every possible facet. Great acting and believable story. The whites aren't portrayed as evil and the blacks aren't all victimised angels.

My only gripe is that I haven't found any source explaining the historicity of it. I have no idea how historically accurate it is.

I highly recommend it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_(TV_series)

Marco Polo: 6/10
i never in a million years would have watched this show, except a new lady friend said it was good and made me watch it, and it's... actually really good.
there's a few issues here and there, but overall it's a quite decent historical/fiction drama, with a pretty great cast. best of all is how the show ends up not being about marco polo the character at all, he's just kind of there to witness and somewhat take place in various historical events.

Wilfred: 8/10 in terms of what it's going for, probably a 5 or 6 out of 10 in relationship to TV as a whole
this show is absurdly hard to quantify or explain even in an off-handed review sort of way, but it's extremely well written and filled with references and call-backs and easter eggs to the show's own mythology.
it's not quite as dense as arrested development, but that's what comes to mind... if arrested development was an absurdist sometimes-stoner dramady about a guy who tries to kill himself, but lives and ends up seeing his neighbor's dog as a man in a dog suit and spiraling into an ever increasing existential crisis of identity and madness.

The Three Kingdoms subtitles are just right: accurate and well written enough 99% of the time to be easy to live with, with just the right number of laugh lines to enliven the often stodgy proceedings.

Example:
"This is not incest. There is a reason for this."

I wish I had taken a screencap.

Back
Top Bottom