• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

Binged-watched the first season of Fringe (again) since I could not sleep last night. My favorite series ever, so I would rate it pretty high.

Binged-watched the first season of Fringe (again) since I could not sleep last night. My favorite series ever, so I would rate it pretty high.

I loved the first four seasons. But I really thought that season five really dragged. I didn't like the into the future scene. I haven't watched the last three episodes. Is it worth it?

I loved the first four seasons. But I really thought that season five really dragged. I didn't like the into the future scene. I haven't watched the last three episodes. Is it worth it?

Well, it closes the show. So there is that. Was not a huge fan of season five myself, but at least they gave the show a halfway decent ending. None of that Sopranos bullshit.

I don't even remember how Fringe ended. The first few seasons were great, but the last one just dragged on and sputtered out.

Watching a children's program on ABC, Eve. :blush: It's about an Android girl with some of the hypothetical problems that may be associated with AI. I think the girl playing the lead role, Poppy Lee Friar, gives an interesting performance.

the episode where the cold virus get enlarged and runs around attacking until they pour nyquil on it killed that series for me. come on.....silly

I watch a lot of HGTV for the real estate interest and home renovation ideas.
The cost of accommodation and the type and style of amenities offered around the world
is really quite an interesting topic to me even if the format of select from three offerings is pretty scripted.
For educational and informative value, I would assign a 7/10.

Loving the 2nd season of Mr. Robot!

I've never gotten so instantly addicted, and then immediately un-addicted to a show. I think it all happened within about 5 episodes.

Was it when you realized who Mr. Robot was? (trying not to spoil it for those still on last season). I found that to be a bit of a let down, but it's still holding my interest.

I've never gotten so instantly addicted, and then immediately un-addicted to a show. I think it all happened within about 5 episodes.

Was it when you realized who Mr. Robot was? (trying not to spoil it for those still on last season). I found that to be a bit of a let down, but it's still holding my interest.
I think I figured that part out early on. I just enjoy the internal narratives.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm also watching The A-word. I just like Chris Eccleston.

Binge-watching (OK, two shows per evening) Blacklist seasons 1 and 2, in anticipation of season 3 coming out on DVD. Wow, I don't remember half this stuff!

Stranger Things 10/10

I started watching this on Netflix after recommendations from several coworkers. The wife and I binge watched the entire series (only 8 episodes) over the weekend, plus Monday. It flawlessly captures the time period it depicts (early 1980's), from the clothing and hair styles, right down to the furniture. The way it was filmed even feels like an '80s movie, with synthesized incidental music and other fine touches that just take you back to movies of that time period. The way it differs from the typical '80s movie is in the coherent plot, even pacing, and modern computer generated special effects. The acting, direction, script, and cinematography are all top notch, but all contribute to the sense of being transported to that time period.

I was initially going to rate this show as a 9/10, but as I started thinking about what TV series might have been better than this, I couldn't think of one, not by a long shot.

Dominion - 7/10

I very well done show by the SciFy channel.

The basic premise is that God buggered off for some reason and the Archangel Gabriel got it into his head that this happened because God was pissed off at humanity, so he figured that if he killed all the humans, God would come back. He releases all the angels from Heaven and has them possess human bodies. They can't handle human emotions and such, so they basically all turn into mindless zombie types who just run around and try to eat anyone they meet. So, about six billion people die on the first day but then the Archangel Michael decides that Gabriel is wrong and he has to defend humanity so that they can be redeemed and then God will come back. The remnants of humanity are holed up in walled cities to hide from the possessed and it's about the battle between Michael's people and Gabriel's angels to see who gets to be God's bestie.

It's an interesting story with some good characters and plots and decent action scenes. My one main complaint with it is that they seem to be wildly inconsistent with what the powers of the regular angels, higher level angels and archangels are. One day, Michael and Gabriel seem to be able to match up against entire armies and the next day they have trouble with two or three guys. I guess it isn't all that unusual for shows to have people's powers be plot-dependent, but there are a lot of annoying "Well, why didn't Gabriel just kill all those guys? I thought he wanted to kill everybody" moments.

Well worth watching, though.

Stranger Things 10/10

I started watching this on Netflix after recommendations from several coworkers. The wife and I binge watched the entire series (only 8 episodes) over the weekend, plus Monday. It flawlessly captures the time period it depicts (early 1980's), from the clothing and hair styles, right down to the furniture. The way it was filmed even feels like an '80s movie, with synthesized incidental music and other fine touches that just take you back to movies of that time period. The way it differs from the typical '80s movie is in the coherent plot, even pacing, and modern computer generated special effects. The acting, direction, script, and cinematography are all top notch, but all contribute to the sense of being transported to that time period.

I was initially going to rate this show as a 9/10, but as I started thinking about what TV series might have been better than this, I couldn't think of one, not by a long shot.

We really enjoyed this show as well. Hope they're going to do a Season 2.

Stranger Things 10/10

We really enjoyed this show as well. Hope they're going to do a Season 2.

Although Netflix has not yet made an official announcement, the actors and creators have made several statements that indicate a season 2 is in the works. It will supposedly pick up the story a year after the end of the first season, to make up for the fact that the kids are getting older in real life. One example is that the voice of the actor who plays Dustin has dropped in register considerably since the first season was filmed.

Although Netflix has not yet made an official announcement, the actors and creators have made several statements that indicate a season 2 is in the works. It will supposedly pick up the story a year after the end of the first season, to make up for the fact that the kids are getting older in real life. One example is that the voice of the actor who plays Dustin has dropped in register considerably since the first season was filmed.
which is really a shame, because i personally think it would be way better if this were an American Horror Story type scenario where each season is a totally different set of tropes and cliches and atmospheric callbacks, just with the same general aesthetic and proficiency.
or, instead of following the same group of kids, i was thinking it would be awesome if this were basically a season-long "mystery of the week" version of a show like Eureka - each season being some other weird ass thing happening around the town and the sheriff having to deal with it, and having him be the glue that binds each season to each other.

The Man in the High Castle (Amazon) - Three words to describe this, "slow burn intensity". Each episode is slow, but deliberate, and it just builds so much tension. 4 episodes in, pretty attached right now. They are doing a pretty good job at selling potential avenues for a couple characters to go down. It is refreshing not to know what exactly will happen or what some people's motives are.

3 of 4

The Man in the High Castle (Amazon) - Three words to describe this, "slow burn intensity". Each episode is slow, but deliberate, and it just builds so much tension. 4 episodes in, pretty attached right now. They are doing a pretty good job at selling potential avenues for a couple characters to go down. It is refreshing not to know what exactly will happen or what some people's motives are.

3 of 4

Oh man. You have to be part of the Amazon Collective to watch. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom