• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

Doctor Who, series 1 from 2005 with Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor. Until now, I had mostly just seen the Steven Moffat Doctor, and I am positively surprised. I don't realy care who the next doctor is, I just hope they switch the show runner to someone else.

Show runner? What's that?

All Saints, an Australian Drama series set in a hospital in Sydney. It's a good series that was screened in Australia from 1998 to 2009. The series was better in the beginning and changed when Ward 17 closed. Some of the series set in the ED was good, but it wasn't that great after the 'Response Team' started.

10/10 for the early episodes.

I watch Continuum. Watched Helix too, and Revolution. I am a binge watcher though, and I think they make more sense watched that way.

Continuum has an interesting plot device. The protagonist is on the "wrong" side, the "terrorists" are on the "right" side. But the protagonist is good, the terrorists are bad. I have heard it said the show is only for Canadian intellectuals, which explains it's small audience = P

I disagree. If anything I think she was sent back to try to make the world better, thus that would put her on the side of good even though she wasn't told of her mission. I do agree she comes from a bad side but I don't think the terrorists are any better--while their ideals are lofty I don't think their world would actually be any better than hers.

I've been watching:

1. The Last Ship - 6/10; I love end of the world type shows (Walking Dead, The Stand); this show is okay.

2. Under the Dome - It started okay last year, but it's just not as good. I'm dropping it down to a 3/10; and I'm close to shutting it down.

3. How I met your mother: we're half way through season one, it's okay, but I hear that season two is great.

I've been watching:

1. The Last Ship - 6/10; I love end of the world type shows (Walking Dead, The Stand); this show is okay.

2. Under the Dome - It started okay last year, but it's just not as good. I'm dropping it down to a 3/10; and I'm close to shutting it down.

3. How I met your mother: we're half way through season one, it's okay, but I hear that season two is great.

I've seen bits and pieces of The Last Ship waiting for Falling Skies to start. Tough for me to watch any show with the US Navy in it. In times past, I've been stuck watching bits of NCIS at my brother's before I could make my escape. Gawd.
I've started watching Falling Skies last season but do not make a point of it. The story is interesting, what I know of it. I'll give it 7/10 just for the cool looking aliens. I like them Skitters. Predator was the primo badass alien. All other aliens bow before him.

I've been watching:

The religion is getting a bit heavy on that one. I've been watching it but I'm not sure how much longer I will.

I've been watching:

The religion is getting a bit heavy on that one. I've been watching it but I'm not sure how much longer I will.

Yep. Faith in God is aaaaaaallll it takes to make the wind blow. Who knew?

Just watched the 2nd episode of "The Strain".

Not getting any better.

Still very soap opera-ish with the main character. Yes, he's a self-centered jerk with marital problems but now they throw in

that he's a recovering alcoholic as well. Unless that's going to play into the future of this show, it was really a backstory that wasn't important and a waste of time. Unless the producers just want to make the CDC look bad - again.

They're still sticking with the

supernatural bent, with people sorta selling out their fellow human beings to get favors done. A main villain character is basically needing a new liver so accepts a deal with the devil. Even though we learn there is a transplant waiting for him, that as a wealthy man he can afford, he's willing to sell out his entire species for a certain kind of immortality. Like most characters with similar motivations I always wonder what sort of world he wants to live to see.

Stupid plot ploys are put into play - authorities don't listen to doctors, they listen to a web report of misinformation.

I was sitting there going, "OK, you guys are epidemiologists, scientists and doctors, whip out your reports. You have bodies to show, test results, they just have a story you can easily refute with forensic evidence..." and I waited and waited and waited.

Nope. Our hero doctors don't offer any defense. None. Zero. The main guy doctor just loses his temper about his personal life being brought up "You've been stressed out."

In another scene, a HUGE office is

overrun by zombies, but the huge office only appears occupied by 1 person. At the lack of communication from the office, the main woman character offers in explanation, "They have over 200 bodies to autopsy, they're probably busy..."

Who is this "they"? We only saw one pathologist in an otherwise empty lab. No assistants, no staff, no anyone else.

It's dumb and not getting any smarter.

I would stop watching but a co-worker keeps telling me it's supposedly going to get really clever and wrap itself up with a 'wow' factor.

It doesn't look promising.

Finished Season One of Homeland.

One minor nitpick.

Do the people that put this together understand that the Vice President in the US is one of the less important people in the US Government?

My understanding was that the whole thing was driven by a personal vendetta, not a political one.

But then, most shows about politics confuse me, so I could be wrong.

My understanding was that the whole thing was driven by a personal vendetta, not a political one.

I understand that angle of the argument. And don't want to delve any deeper for spoiler sakes. What I mean is that

The vice president seemed to be way too involved in the actions of drone strikes in Iraq.

I understand that angle of the argument. And don't want to delve any deeper for spoiler sakes. What I mean is that

The vice president seemed to be way too involved in the actions of drone strikes in Iraq.

If my memory serves me, he was not involved as the vice president, but in his previous job as the CIA chief.

If my memory serves me, he was not involved as the vice president, but in his previous job as the CIA chief.

You know, I think that does explain it. Kind of obvious now. Thanks.

I've recently gone into watching MST3K, and while it has it's ups and downs I have been finding it kinda cool (especially as I liked bad movies as well)

Also I was looking into Community and Agents of Shield
Are either good?

I've recently gone into watching MST3K, and while it has it's ups and downs I have been finding it kinda cool (especially as I liked bad movies as well)

Are either good?

Pretty good. Especially the last few episodes of the season.

The Leftovers

The show is horribly named but intriguing. In it, a small percentage of the world's population suddenly disappears. There are no common traits among those who disappear, which of course makes it even more confounding to those [ugh] left behind.

It isn't a Jesus series. One of the things many of the characters struggle with is that there's no indication that The Rapture has taken place. It's just this inexplicable event that happens. This leads them to question their faith.

Anyway, is it aliens? Or was it Jebus that took these people away? Or was it something else?

The only problem with the show is that it's slow and thus far leaves questions unanswered from one episode to the next; and it's too plodding to get away with that.

But the characters are interesting as are the scenarios, so it's worth it to keep watching.

7/10
I think it's gotten better these last couple of weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Doctor Who, series 1 from 2005 with Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor. Until now, I had mostly just seen the Steven Moffat Doctor, and I am positively surprised. I don't realy care who the next doctor is, I just hope they switch the show runner to someone else.
Doesn't look like it's going to happen. I miss Russell Davies so much, but hey, what are you going to do? That said, I really like Peter Capaldi as the Doctor (at least I did for them premiere). Now...whether the stories are less moffatish, I cannot say.

Are either good?

If you like MST3K, look into Cinematic Titanic and Rifftrax (Rifftrax has some of their material on Hulu now). They are both done by former MST3K riffers, and are a bit more up to date on their pop culture references. CT is on hiatus now, but Rifftrax is still going strong.

Just watched the 2nd episode of "The Strain".

Not getting any better.

Still very soap opera-ish with the main character. Yes, he's a self-centered jerk with marital problems but now they throw in

that he's a recovering alcoholic as well. Unless that's going to play into the future of this show, it was really a backstory that wasn't important and a waste of time. Unless the producers just want to make the CDC look bad - again.

They're still sticking with the

supernatural bent, with people sorta selling out their fellow human beings to get favors done. A main villain character is basically needing a new liver so accepts a deal with the devil. Even though we learn there is a transplant waiting for him, that as a wealthy man he can afford, he's willing to sell out his entire species for a certain kind of immortality. Like most characters with similar motivations I always wonder what sort of world he wants to live to see.

Stupid plot ploys are put into play - authorities don't listen to doctors, they listen to a web report of misinformation.

I was sitting there going, "OK, you guys are epidemiologists, scientists and doctors, whip out your reports. You have bodies to show, test results, they just have a story you can easily refute with forensic evidence..." and I waited and waited and waited.

Nope. Our hero doctors don't offer any defense. None. Zero. The main guy doctor just loses his temper about his personal life being brought up "You've been stressed out."

In another scene, a HUGE office is

overrun by zombies, but the huge office only appears occupied by 1 person. At the lack of communication from the office, the main woman character offers in explanation, "They have over 200 bodies to autopsy, they're probably busy..."

Who is this "they"? We only saw one pathologist in an otherwise empty lab. No assistants, no staff, no anyone else.

It's dumb and not getting any smarter.

I would stop watching but a co-worker keeps telling me it's supposedly going to get really clever and wrap itself up with a 'wow' factor.

It doesn't look promising.

It gets better, just keep your expectations low.

Leftovers- 8/10
Season 2 of The Bridge- 6/10
Started season 3 of The Tudors - 6.5/10

If you like MST3K, look into Cinematic Titanic and Rifftrax (Rifftrax has some of their material on Hulu now). They are both done by former MST3K riffers, and are a bit more up to date on their pop culture references. CT is on hiatus now, but Rifftrax is still going strong.
I never heard of CT before
And I like Rifftrax (And recognise some of the MST3K guys on there)

Back
Top Bottom