• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

So very bummed out that Lucifer has been canceled and tonight was the final episode, but at least it ended in a way that I can headcanon what comes next rather than being completely up in the air.

Legends of Tomorrow - 7/10

A fairly standard CW show about a group of heroes running around in a timeship fighting bad guys who are trying to change history. It's different from the other ones in that most of the main cast are either incompetent or criminals and they keep fucking up and causing almost as many problems as they solve. They have a running gag where they keep getting drunk and starting bar fights in every historical period they visit, they're constantly robbing people or wandering off in the middle of a mission so they can go kill someone who's pissed them off and one guy decides to switch sides in the middle of a fight and help a group of pirates steal their ship.

Very enjoyable and funny show.

Legends of Tomorrow - 7/10

A fairly standard CW show about a group of heroes running around in a timeship fighting bad guys who are trying to change history. It's different from the other ones in that most of the main cast are either incompetent or criminals and they keep fucking up and causing almost as many problems as they solve. They have a running gag where they keep getting drunk and starting bar fights in every historical period they visit, they're constantly robbing people or wandering off in the middle of a mission so they can go kill someone who's pissed them off and one guy decides to switch sides in the middle of a fight and help a group of pirates steal their ship.

Very enjoyable and funny show.

I'd watch the show based on that review. Sadly, I've already watched it regardless, and not only does it fail at comedy, it gets even worse on seasons 2 and 3.

1 out of 10

You were clearly watching the wrong show because this show is hilarious and awesome.

I get that tastes differ and opinions are relative, but it's a very enjoyable show, so you're clearly objectively mistaken here.

You were clearly watching the wrong show because this show is hilarious and awesome.

I get that tastes differ and opinions are relative, but it's a very enjoyable show, so you're clearly objectively mistaken here.

I kinda liked the first season. Then it got worse in second. And third was a dumpster fire. They got rid of the best actors, replaced them with awful ones, and the writing really took a turn for the worse.

I kinda liked the first season. Then it got worse in second. And third was a dumpster fire. They got rid of the best actors, replaced them with awful ones, and the writing really took a turn for the worse.

Well, I haven't gotten to that part yet.

Killing Eve, 7/10: A BBC drama starring Sandra Oh as an MI5 officer on the trail of a political assassin who is female. I've watched four episodes and it's decent but there is nothing unique about the plot. Interesting locations and good acting so I will stick with it.

I admit, the show is kinda hit and miss and doesn't really know what it's all about, but the season 3 finale was hilarious. The final "voltron" fight scene had me laughing out loud at the TV

Finally got around to The Runaways on Hulu. Only watched 2 episodes so far.

It's above mediocre, but nowhere near the better Marvel shows on Netflix. It's clearly meant for a younger audience than me (despite my immaturity). I'm a little annoyed that Molly was changed to a teenager. There's something inherently satisfying about seeing a little girl manhandle big brutes.

India just got through the"Indian Premier League" T20 cricket matches. Star paid some 2 billion USD for 5-year rights. The finals between four of the eight teams still remain, i.e., four matches. All stadiums were always full to the capacity. A whole new breed of cricketers have succeeded this time, so we expect changes in our national team.

Otherwise it is Modi and elections in some part of India or the other. Soap Operas for my wife, films for the elder grandson and comics for the younger one.

Watched two more episodes of Runaways. I'm dropping my rating to 5.5 out of ten, a hair above mediocre. The acting is inconsistent, and the writing often eh.

Thank goodness I'm not familiar with the source material. If I were a fan, I suspect I would be upset.

Finished season 1 of Runaways. 4.5 out of 10.

ABC has made a number of Marvel-based TV shows, and so far Agent Carter was the only good one. The others are all crap. I think it's time to admit that Netflix are the only ones that can make Marvel TV shows that are worth a damn.

For some reason we never finished out season 2 of Preacher last year but we've kept it on our DVR fortunately so we started working on finishing it before season 3 hits next month. Damn, why did we stop on this show out of the blue like that ... it's freaking amazing every single episode. I guess we just had too many shows we were watching and it got pushed back. Glad we're getting back on it though, it's similar enough to the comics to hit that nostalgia but different enough to be interesting in it's own right.

For some reason we never finished out season 2 of Preacher last year but we've kept it on our DVR fortunately so we started working on finishing it before season 3 hits next month. Damn, why did we stop on this show out of the blue like that ... it's freaking amazing every single episode. I guess we just had too many shows we were watching and it got pushed back. Glad we're getting back on it though, it's similar enough to the comics to hit that nostalgia but different enough to be interesting in it's own right.

I was once asked what was preacher all about? I answered with this clip:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPbe_dFjZGk[/youtube]

After a long break, I'm taking the holiday weekend to binge season 2 of The Man In The High Castle.

The production values are top notch. The performances are great. The plot is dense, with plenty of twists and turns handled deftly. It is also slow. Plodding, almost.

Or maybe I'm just spoiled by this whole "golden age of television" thing going on right now. If this had come out 10 or 15 years ago it would easily be the best show on the small screen, but now there's so much great content out there that a slow-moving series without so much action doesn't exactly stand out anymore.

Scandal - 7/10

Pretty good political drama about a fixer for the US government who’s having an affair with the President. It’s interesting and well written, but it’s hard to be on anyone’s side because they’re all evil and torturing and killing and destroying the lives of anyone who gets in their way. Without a protagonist to root for, there’s something missing from the experience of watching the show.

After a long break, I'm taking the holiday weekend to binge season 2 of The Man In The High Castle.

The production values are top notch. The performances are great. The plot is dense, with plenty of twists and turns handled deftly. It is also slow. Plodding, almost.

Or maybe I'm just spoiled by this whole "golden age of television" thing going on right now. If this had come out 10 or 15 years ago it would easily be the best show on the small screen, but now there's so much great content out there that a slow-moving series without so much action doesn't exactly stand out anymore.

I agree that the production and acting were top notch. But I had to give up after the 5th episode because it was so depressing...

DC's Legends of Tomorrow

I was surprised that I liked the first episode. And the second. And the third.

It wasn't great, but it was surprisingly watchable.

Then around the 4th or 5th episode it was like they got mad at consistency or anything resembling intelligence and curb stomped them both. Sure, a show about time traveling D list superheroes isn't going to be a logical tour de force, so you have to be willing to overlook a lot of things. But what you don't have to overlook is complete stupidity. I could make a list, but I won't because the show isn't worth it.

3/10

I agree that the production and acting were top notch. But I had to give up after the 5th episode because it was so depressing...

So I stuck it out until the end. To say that it doesn't get any happier is an understatement. On that note:

DC's Legends of Tomorrow

I was surprised that I liked the first episode. And the second. And the third.

It wasn't great, but it was surprisingly watchable.

Then around the 4th or 5th episode it was like they got mad at consistency or anything resembling intelligence and curb stomped them both. Sure, a show about time traveling D list superheroes isn't going to be a logical tour de force, so you have to be willing to overlook a lot of things. But what you don't have to overlook is complete stupidity. I could make a list, but I won't because the show isn't worth it.

3/10

I kept at this one a little longer, and I don't think they want you to overlook the stupidity. I'd almost describe it as "joyful stupidity" in the following seasons. At first they tried to take themselves seriously, but in season 2 and beyond gave into the fact that it is, as you say, a show about time traveling D list superheroes and the show borders on camp humor.

Back
Top Bottom