• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

I've started watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. So far it is enjoyable and I love the classic Joss moments.

You're in for a disappointment. Joss Whedon had barely anything to do with the show after the first few episodes. I'll still keep watching the next though because this is one of the shows I desperately want to be better.

Finally started watching Game of Thrones. Only four episodes in, so too early to give it a rating, but I am hooked!

I've started watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. So far it is enjoyable and I love the classic Joss moments.

You're in for a disappointment. Joss Whedon had barely anything to do with the show after the first few episodes. I'll still keep watching the next though because this is one of the shows I desperately want to be better.

Sadly true. It becomes rather dumb after a while.

Heroes Reborn.

Save the cheerleader! Save the wor- oh.

Two episode premiere and I liked it. It might be trying to act as though its predecessor didn't happen and is trying to be its own show, but that might be fine. No idea yet what the main danger is yet.

Heroes Reborn.

Save the cheerleader! Save the wor- oh.

Two episode premiere and I liked it. It might be trying to act as though its predecessor didn't happen and is trying to be its own show, but that might be fine. No idea yet what the main danger is yet.

It was kind of cool. It looks sort of like they're trying to recapture the tone of the first season of the original series, but I'm not sure if they're just trying too hard as opposed to setting their own tone.

I did like the way they hammered home the point "Ok, the blonde girl is dead. We're not focusing the show on her. Don't worry. She won't be in this one." The kid who can teleport things is cool, but the whole thing with the Japanese girl isn't working for me. I also like the main guy a lot, but the Chuck guy just seems too one note and they need to do something more with that character.

I want to like this show, but I'm sort of on the fence about it at the moment.

Doctor Who
So in the new season the first episode was a little on the iffy side
I think it might have been a little bit of a 'Too much setup" kinda problem and just viewed on it's own the first episode was very hit and miss

But now the second part of this story is out and I liked it
I thought the ideas came together well, added some good Dramatic moments with the Doctor and even managed to balance the humour a bit better then the first episode
There are even hints of the "big mystery" for this season which should be interesting

So overall while the first episode was a bit weak when taken on it's own, I think the second half of the story worked well and as a two parter this is a strong start to the new season

Doctor Who
So in the new season the first episode was a little on the iffy side
I think it might have been a little bit of a 'Too much setup" kinda problem and just viewed on it's own the first episode was very hit and miss

But now the second part of this story is out and I liked it
I thought the ideas came together well, added some good Dramatic moments with the Doctor and even managed to balance the humour a bit better then the first episode
There are even hints of the "big mystery" for this season which should be interesting

So overall while the first episode was a bit weak when taken on it's own, I think the second half of the story worked well and as a two parter this is a strong start to the new season

I had absolutely no desire to see part 2 of the season opener. But while channel surfing, I ended up catching the very end and it was exactly how I thought the episode would end.

Predictable, no suspense.

Hopefully next week's episode will be more original?

Last Man on Earth

I tried watching it during its run on Fox.

Gave up after 4 episodes. It went from promising to conventional and repetitious.

But I decided to try again via DVD.

I find it very hit and miss. Occasionally funny, but often strained and weak.

I think there might be a 2nd season. If so, I might watch the first episode. The last episode hinted at a potential re-boot.

OK - I just streamed the first episode of season 2.

Vast improvement.

1) More emphasis on "what would you do if you were the last person(s) on earth"
2) More sincerity - less schmucky behavior
3) Darker tone
4) And moderately funny

I"ll watch more.

6/10 for season 1

8.5/10 for 1st episode of season 2

Last edited:
I've been watching the final season of Downton Abbey: two episodes so far. It's obvious that storylines are being tied up but once they're done, things are getting a bit bland, whereas in previous seasons there were some interesting storylines.

re Dr Who, it looks as if most of the stories are two-parters, although apparently not very strongly linked (whatever that means). And then it's bye bye Jenna. Oh for the days when the Doctor had multiple companions on the go.

Oh, man. :worried:

Fox Network seems to have abandoned one of my favorite series' Sleepy Hollow.

It was a long-shot series that hit it big its first season, and by many accounts, fell very short the 2nd season, so they completely revamped the series for season 3. Got rid of old characters, storylines, locales.

And it debuted on a different day with no fanfare at all. Seems to me like the network has dumped it off to die.

Sad.

But watching the opening season, I can see why. The previous 2 seasons were atmospheric, fun, fully of "history", Illuminati-esque stuff, mixed with spooky sets, monsters, crazy magic and jolts of time-traveling fish out of water scenes.

Now, the spooky fun atmosphere is gone, the sets are bland and straight out of LA parking lot warehouse cheap, the characters spent waaaaay too much time explaining away all the changes and they seem very disconnected.

Last action scene - man-eating demon knocks unconscious sister of one of the leads. She falls to the floor, helpless. Demon is dealt with when other lead is rescued by partner in the other room. They hug happily, glad to be back together.

Does sibling ask after the injured sister? Nope. Doesn't even care.

Doesn't bode well. :(

Dr. Who

OK, much better episode than the season opener 2 parter which was dumb.

They don't have to make every episode a 2-parter, though.

Scared Tardis takes our heroes to an underwater ex-military facility manned by crew now looking for oil, built under a flooded valley (this appears to be fresh water? Like a loch?). Spooky remains of flooded town within sight. The crew find instead

what appears to be a space ship, bring it on board and it has unknown sigils in it, a missing stasis compartment and a murderous ghost.

Our heroes arrive after the crew has lost one crew member to the killing ghost - and that crew member is now a ghost as well - and the crew has figured out that the ghosts have limitations - the ghosts cannot get into certain electromagnetically charged rooms (Faraday?) and disappear under the artificial "day" lights when all their systems go through multiple checks thus generating electromagnetic fields. The crew hides during the artificial "night" in their safe room and come out at 'day'.

Makes you wonder why the crew didn't just have the computer loop the artificial light day cycle constantly and therefore they could work and sleep in their own beds without worrying about night ghosts at all because there is no night.

Just as well it later proves that the ghosts can manipulate all the systems, but they can only use tools to kill, they can't kill barehanded.

The doctor isn't enthused about originally about the mystery, more worried about his Tardis - why she is scared and why she brought them here. Clara is still traumatized from the last episode, so she is superficially, overly so, excited about a new mystery.

The crew has lost their leader, so the 2nd in command takes over and she is a mute woman. OK, nice to include such people, but hardly efficient or safe, is it? Some of the crew apparently don't understand her and neither do our heroes, so she needs a constant translator.

They lose another crew man, the always unpopular corporate guy who had endangered their safety by ordering them to stay put instead of evacuating and destroying the facility, but turns out he actually saved the world by not releasing the ghosts on an unsuspecting topside, but he doesn't get credit for that. He gets killed and the doctor forms a plan to capture the ghosts. They do and realize with lip-reading mute woman that the ghosts are mouthing silently the same phrase over and over again.

The doctor realizes it's a message about coordinates. They use them to find the missing stasis compartment but don't open it. Because the last phrase may tell them who and why this ship was there. The secret lies inside the flooded town, inside a church...

And we wait for next week's episode. This was actually interesting. I will tune in next week.

Last edited:
As I am soon coming to be caught up with Big Bang Theory, I need another funny show to watch.

Dr Who - normal Episode really, apart from the end.

Downton Abbey - I liked it rather more this week. Now it seems a shame it will all be over.

Terminator Sarah Connor - yes I do like both series now. But, not all that Jesse, Derek and Riley crap. Oh how I wish it could have continued.

The Ridonculous Race - Yeah, a cartoon on Cartoon Network. I've been a sucker for the Total Drama Island stuff for a while now. The older version was getting a little stale, but the Amazing Race angle freshened it up a bit. Really like it. The only thing that seems silly is that the winner never seems to actually have an advantage the following day after a while. I know, it is just a cartoon, but hmpf.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

A bit lackluster so far after two episodes, but not a total disaster either. So pretty much the same as season 2. It's interesting to see what they're doing with Hydra and Ward now, but at the the same time, I gotta admit that there aren't nearly enough things going on and what is going on seems rather predictable. Some weird shit went down at the planet where Simmons ended up, that's reminiscient of the purgatory in Supernatural. Inhumans are your run of the mill superheroes that we've seen in a dozen other shows already. It's just so bland.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

A bit lackluster so far after two episodes, but not a total disaster either. So pretty much the same as season 2. It's interesting to see what they're doing with Hydra and Ward now, but at the the same time, I gotta admit that there aren't nearly enough things going on and what is going on seems rather predictable. Some weird shit went down at the planet where Simmons ended up, that's reminiscient of the purgatory in Supernatural. Inhumans are your run of the mill superheroes that we've seen in a dozen other shows already. It's just so bland.

Ya, that's the problem with this show. So much quality source material and so much potential, yet the outcome is just kind of ... meh. It's almost good but never really what one figures it should be.

Back
Top Bottom