• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

A bit lackluster so far after two episodes, but not a total disaster either. So pretty much the same as season 2. It's interesting to see what they're doing with Hydra and Ward now, but at the the same time, I gotta admit that there aren't nearly enough things going on and what is going on seems rather predictable. Some weird shit went down at the planet where Simmons ended up, that's reminiscient of the purgatory in Supernatural. Inhumans are your run of the mill superheroes that we've seen in a dozen other shows already. It's just so bland.

Ya, that's the problem with this show. So much quality source material and so much potential, yet the outcome is just kind of ... meh. It's almost good but never really what one figures it should be.

I'm part way through season 2 so far and I would say that it has definitely lost something from season 1. It feels a little bit like having Ward be a hydra agent was 'jumping the shark', but maybe they had that planned from the start. I'll keep watching, but I'm not digging it as much as at the beginning.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

A bit lackluster so far after two episodes, but not a total disaster either. So pretty much the same as season 2. It's interesting to see what they're doing with Hydra and Ward now, but at the the same time, I gotta admit that there aren't nearly enough things going on and what is going on seems rather predictable. Some weird shit went down at the planet where Simmons ended up, that's reminiscient of the purgatory in Supernatural. Inhumans are your run of the mill superheroes that we've seen in a dozen other shows already. It's just so bland.

Full disclosure, I haven't seen the first two episodes yet, they are waiting on my DVR for when I have the time, so take this for what it's worth:

Part of the problem may be that they are not allowed to touch any of the well known Inhumans, like Black Bolt, Medusa, Crystal, Lockjaw, or Maximus, given the upcoming Inhumans movie. So they are stuck with using their own invented Inhumans, or third stringers that wouldn't be used in the movie (they may even have a problem there, if the script and cast of the movie are not sewn up yet), but fans want to see the real deal. I think the best we can hope for is to eventually see a cameo or two from minor Inhumans cast members, kind of like they did with Syf and the scientist from the Thor movies. That is, if the series lasts until 2018, when the movie is slated to come out.

Small Time Gangster, 7/10: An Australian TV series that seems to have only run one season of eight episodes. It's about a veteran gang enforcer that is in the midst of a breakdown in confidence and finds it difficult to perform his duties of handing out violence. He has managed to keep his gangster activities hidden from his family but as he struggles to cope with bouts of morality, it becomes increasingly difficult to keep it from his family. It's often lighthearted but still retains a dark edge to it.

Misfits
10/10

Finally got around to seeing the last season of this British superhero drama. The premise is that there is some magical storm, and a bunch of people get various superpowers as a consequence. But instead of suddenly turning heroic or being involved in some byzantine government conspiracies, these guys just fuck around. It's both funny, and more imaginative than any other tv series about superpowers you'll ever see.

Walking Dead is really good this season. Tonight, Maggie will die when Glenn has to shoot her after she is bitten by a walker.

I'm part way through season 2 so far and I would say that it has definitely lost something from season 1. It feels a little bit like having Ward be a hydra agent was 'jumping the shark', but maybe they had that planned from the start. I'll keep watching, but I'm not digging it as much as at the beginning.

I'm about half way through now and definitely losing interest. Any recommendations to keep watching?

Edit: I'm talking about 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." in case you haven't followed the quote chain.

I've watched the first 2 episodes of the new season of The Walking Dead. I originally watched the first 2 seasons and didn't watch more and then decided to get back into it this year and binged my way through seasons 3, 4 and 5. I really love the show despite the fact that sometimes it doesn't make sense to me.

The first 2 episode this season were solid, good action and drama, etc. so I'm hooked for the rest of the season.

I just have a couple of questions.

What is the logic behind leading the army of zombies away from the quarry? They're trapped there and despite the objections as to what might go wrong, surely it's a lot easier to keep them there, secure the perimeter, etc. instead of trying to lead thousands of them miles away to wherever they intend to lead them (did the even say what the destination was?)

Why don't The Wolves have guns? They're this badass army of people who have survived a couple of years into a zombie apocalypse. They're raising their own army of zombies. They have raided and destroyed countless settlements and camps of other survivors. And they don't have any guns? When we first saw them in the last episode of season 5 when they a couple of them confronted Morgan, they had a gun but it wasn't loaded which just doesn't fit with the army of ruthless raiders that they have been built up to be. If Rick and his crew have a seemingly endless supply of handguns and automatic rifles and ammo, then why are the Wolves using hand to hand weapons to attack Alexandria and have no firearms whatsoever?

They wanted to do something about the walker army because they correctly figured that the upper ledge would give out and would free the walkers.

I have no idea about the Wolves and guns. It looks like a cult, maybe that's a dogma. Though, the episode ended with one running off with a gun, which might imply next time they will have guns.

I'm liking the season so far, with the relentless action. It seems like they could do the whole season taking place over the few days in the aftermath of the freed walker army.

Rick and Morty
9/10

Just finished the first season of this adult cartoon loosely based on Doc and Marty from Back to the Future. The premise is that Rick is a mad scientist grandpa of Morty and pulls him into crazy-ass adventures in space and other dimensions. Today being the day that it is, you might want to check it out for nostalgia.

The Knick is really good. I love everything about that show and recommend it to anyone who likes shows.

I like Black Sails. The story is messy, but the acting is fine, some very good. Decent action and their ships are pretty.

Black Sails is very understated. I've been watching since ep.1 and can't get enough. Pirates aren't as cool as zombies right now but the tide of coolness will change soon enough. I hope it is still around when pirates are back on top.

Black Sails is very understated. I've been watching since ep.1 and can't get enough. Pirates aren't as cool as zombies right now but the tide of coolness will change soon enough. I hope it is still around when pirates are back on top.
"back on top"? Since when were pirates ever on top? :D

I don't know how I got started on it, but I'm busy sleeping through the TV miniseries version of The Shining with that guy from Wings and Rebecca DeMornay. It tries to stick as closely to the book as possible and is a perfect example of why books are books and films are films. It's not fair to say it's utter shit, but it bears all the hallmarks of unnecessary stupidness that seem to contaminate network TV.

The guy from Wings was a horrible choice as Jack Torrance. There's no way to not compare him to Jack Nicholson's character in the Kubrick version despite the two adaptations being so dissimilar. He's just goofy and it's hard to take him seriously. He doesn't come off as a boiling cauldron of compulsion and conflict clinging to sanity by his fingernails while making his last, knowingly futile effort to be a good family man and get his life back on track. Instead, he's just kind of an obnoxious dick. Like, if you saw him acting that way in a grocery store you probably wouldn't be too afraid to walk up to him and tell him to quit acting like a fuckhead.

Can the same be said of Nicholson's Jack Torrance? God no. You'd just say, "fuck it, that guy's definitely gonna kill some people but it ain't gonna be me," as you walked quickly out of the store.

As far as the unnecessary stupidity goes, there's just lame cheesy attempts at spookiness. For example, the family walks in the front door of the hotel and after they do, the bench on the porch starts rocking back and forth on its own. I just imagined one of the key grips drilling a little hole through the wall to attach a string to the bench and then being told to pull on the string at the right time. It's full of stuff like that. Who are the ghosts trying to scare with that? Other ghosts?

Anyway, I'll watch on because I can fall asleep to it and not care what I miss, or the lack of continuity that occurs when I try to get back to the approximate point in the show where I fell off into a very "meh" sleep the night before.

Haha Johnny Depp did a lot for the pirates last decade. They were cooler than zombies for a while. Zombies speak to something deep inside us that pirates can't, so we're devouring the zombie trash lately. Eventually people will get tired of it and pirates will be there. Note that Pirates have been zombies but zombies haven't been pirates yet. Zombies will never be as cool as pirates. Vampires, pirates and zombies fight for popularity. In the wake of the recent Vampire age in entertainment we turn to zombies because they are conveniently here already and we need a new monster to subconsciously do things in our brains because of our inherent evilness. I could explain it in detail but you probably understand. We need a monster and I do wish it was the pirate because they're more interesting. The zombies are like a band aid for the apocalyptic wounds we have, still bleeding from the 2012 stuff. Zombies and apocalypses/ Vampires and forbidden love/ Pirates and the urge to rebel. Some other things apply to all. Gremlins are interesting but that would be off topic.

The Last Kingdom, on BBC America. Based on the series of novels by Bernard Cornwell. Surprisingly entertaining series, so far. Uhtred of Bebbanburg is a 10th-century Saxon captured as a young boy and raised by invading Danes. Eventually he comes to identify with them, but due to one unfortunate event after another, he finds himself swearing allegiance to a young King Alfred (later known as Alfred the Great.) Now he fights for the Saxons against his beloved Danes, knowing full well that he's just a pawn in Alfred's hand to unite the fractious kingdoms into one country called England.

Back
Top Bottom