• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What useful stuff has philosophy accomplished for man-kind?

I don't believe you people are seriously thinking what you are posting here (it's just too stupid)
So the whole discussion is meaningless

It's pitiful. No matter what is said or how it is said, it is routinely twisted to mean something else.
This fits with Chomsky's theory of language.

He hypothesizes that language first appeared as thinking and evolved for better thinking, those that thought better survived better, and when it is used as communication, something it wasn't designed for, many problems arise. It is not a very good form of communication in other words.

So maybe we can blame language itself with it's ambiguities and abstractions for miscommunication. Not a lack of sense.

This fits with Chomsky's theory of language.

He hypothesizes that language first appeared as thinking and evolved for better thinking, those that thought better survived better, and when it is used as communication, something it wasn't designed for, many problems arise. It is not a very good form of communication in other words.

So maybe we can blame language itself with it's ambiguities and abstractions for miscommunication. Not a lack of sense.
That's what I would call a brilliant explanation. :smile:

Now, given this premise, I don't understand why so many people with poor linguistic skills still manage to survive nowadays. Maybe humanity somehow protects them? Too much welfare state do you think?
EB

Sooo.... umm, you're saying PhDs now come with a blank subject line when you buy them online?

No, I'm saying that most doctorates are doctorates in the philosophy of X. That's how they are worded.
Funny. I just looked at one on a wall and it is worded Philosophiae Doctoris. What I said was in jest.

I was speculating whether that was what barbos was referring to?
that's what I thought too.

You're hardly going to convince me that I mean something different from what I mean.
We both know that you are talking about what you intend to signify by your statements, and that someone cannot convince you that you intend to signify something else by your statements.

Your statements mean (signify) things to others (who have unique perspectives) that they do not mean (signify) to you. So you both mean what you mean, and you mean what others think you mean, which is the ambiguity in meaning of mean that you cannot deny.

So you do mean things that you do not mean when you make statements to anyone else with a unique perspective (assuming they do not have complete and utter understanding of your mental processes).

And if you don't understand the fact that you don't mean what you mean, then you don't understand miscommunication.

It doesn't advance the discussion of the topic in any way.
Yes it does- this conversation is a precise demonstration of some of the useful stuff philosophy has accomplished for humanity. Philosophy is the sport of kings.

We both know that you are talking about what you intend to signify by your statements, and that someone cannot convince you that you intend to signify something else by your statements.

Your statements mean (signify) things to others (who have unique perspectives) that they do not mean (signify) to you. So you both mean what you mean, and you mean what others think you mean, which is the ambiguity in meaning of mean that you cannot deny.

Sure I can. The meaning of what you mean by mean when you say that I mean what others think I mean is not an action on my part. Thus while there will always be misunderstandings in communication, it does not follow from this that the meaning that others think I mean is my meaning. It doesn't originate from me, doesn't below to me, isn't held by me, and isn't even available to me. While it may be a meaning, and under certain theories of language even a valid meaning, it is in no wise my meaning. You can't both free meaning from the intentions of the speaker on the one hand, and keep attributing meaning to the speaker on the other.

If you really want to get into the metaphysics of meaning then I'll need to work out your tolerance to Early Wittgenstein, and we'll probably need to move this to another thread.

Thus while there will always be misunderstandings in communication, it does not follow from this that the meaning that others think I mean is my meaning. It doesn't originate from me, doesn't below to me, isn't held by me, and isn't even available to me.
Yet, how do you claim that meaning originates from you, since the concept has been formed in you by predecessors?

Your "meaning", intent, or whatever, is not your own, simply a product that exists within you. And while you may hold onto this meaning as your own, it is simply a meaning that exists within your mind at the moment.

This meaning may be altered by events (you mean something different at different times, you hardly mean the exact same thing now that you did in another conversation 30 days ago).

So you don't mean what you mean- you cannot do so alone. Your intent is not your own, it is formed by the intent of many. In the same sense, the meaning of what you feel you mean is formed by many, and is not yours alone. So what you mean is decided by the many, of which you are part, and what you mean is shaped by many, and it is not necessarily what you think you mean, since you do not have absolute authority. You don't know that your sensation of meaning one thing is not a temporal illusion, and that you actually mean something else entirely.

Of course, some things we just accept, that we mean what we mean. But you definitely mean something other than what you mean, because you mean both more, and less, than what you think you mean when your focus is upon such a narrow slice of meaning, a focus that is not your own, but rather the product of many.

Wow.. hard to believe what I'm arguing for. But I'll try to see a hole...
If you really want to get into the metaphysics of meaning then I'll need to work out your tolerance to Early Wittgenstein, and we'll probably need to move this to another thread.
If you think it will be profitable. I might twist what Wittgenstein says into something that he never intended it to mean. :D

Yet, how do you claim that meaning originates from you, since the concept has been formed in you by predecessors?

I don't. I'm merely pointing out that your attempt to portray a paradoxical conclusion, that I mean something different from what I mean, involves embracing a contradiction. Your use of the term 'meaning' obviates any claim that it is mine.

Similarly, you're still trying to embrace a conclusion that what I mean is not what I mean. Since that's a simple contradiction, it should be possible (in theory) to pin down somewhere where your logic doesn't hold. Or as you put it, to find a hole.

So let's spice things up with a bit of Gottlob Frege, considered one of the founders of the modern tradition of philosophical logic. He drew a distinction between sense, and reference. A sentance has two meanings, a sense - which is the words and language that make it up, and can vary widely, and a reference - which is it's truth value. Two people looking at a mountain may use wildly different constructions to describe the mountain, and may genuinely see it in very different ways. However their very different senses of the mountain have the same reference - they are referring to the same physical object.

So bearing in mind that distinction, let's look at what you're saying:

Your "meaning", intent, or whatever, is not your own, simply a product that exists within you. And while you may hold onto this meaning as your own, it is simply a meaning that exists within your mind at the moment.

This meaning may be altered by events (you mean something different at different times, you hardly mean the exact same thing now that you did in another conversation 30 days ago).

And this is where the gap opens up. You're using two different meanings - the first is the construction in my head at a particular time of speaking, and the second is the sense I am trying to convey. You're trying to use the irrepeatiblity of one to imply the inconstancy of the other, but this is properly an equivocation between two different things being described using the same term.

So you don't mean what you mean- you cannot do so alone. Your intent is not your own, it is formed by the intent of many. In the same sense, the meaning of what you feel you mean is formed by many, and is not yours alone.

Hardly. Either there is intent, or there is not. If there is, then it is my intent - the many did not in any useful sense intend my action, or even know about it in any detail. If there isn't, then the many still don't have it, and you can't draw any significance from its lack in this case. Either way, if the meaning can be said to be anyone's, it is mine.

So what you mean is decided by the many, of which you are part, and what you mean is shaped by many, and it is not necessarily what you think you mean, since you do not have absolute authority. You don't know that your sensation of meaning one thing is not a temporal illusion, and that you actually mean something else entirely.

You can argue that meaning is illusion if you wish, but it doesn't help. Either we choose to rely on meaning, whether from certainty or not, or we don't. If we do, then we ignore your concern. If we don't, then you haven't actually said anything at all, because we can't rely on meaning.

Of course, some things we just accept, that we mean what we mean. But you definitely mean something other than what you mean, because you mean both more, and less, than what you think you mean when your focus is upon such a narrow slice of meaning, a focus that is not your own, but rather the product of many.

And again, Frege's gap. My meaning (intended reference) is not the same as my meaning (sense transmitted), but then we shouldn't expect it to be.

There is a serious point to all this. Or rather two.

The first is the importance of not getting hung up on individual words and phrases, but rather focusing on what someone is trying to say, what they are trying to convey. If nothing else, it helps new people contribute, and filters out those who are just attempting to score points off others.

The second is philosophy is more than just verbal trickery. Properly weilded, philosophy cuts through sophistry, political rhetoric and intentionally confusing language. That's one of the reasons why it is so useful.

Similarly, you're still trying to embrace a conclusion that what I mean is not what I mean.
At points in time, you do not mean the statement to mean anything. You are presumably thinking about something entirely different, perhaps meaning something else. In fact there are points in time in which you mean something, and put a statement out there, and the meaning of what you meant is conveyed to another, while you don't mean what you said at that point in time because you're eating good food, or laughing at something someone did or said.

You don't mean anything (or you mean something entirely different) at those points in time, although what you meant is out there, and is only meant by you at the times you mean what you said. You both mean what you said (still), and don't mean what you said at the same exact time (because you are not currently meaning what you said, although you definitely mean what you said).
A sentance has two meanings, a sense - which is the words and language that make it up, and can vary widely, and a reference - which is it's truth value. Two people looking at a mountain may use wildly different constructions to describe the mountain, and may genuinely see it in very different ways. However their very different senses of the mountain have the same reference - they are referring to the same physical object.
Know they aren't. They receive different photons, which have been emitted from the mountain at different times* in the mountains existence, when the electrons, protons, etc. that form the mountain have changed position ever so slightly. In fact, they are definitely looking at atoms that are in slightly different positions relative to that of the other observer (since observers have to be about 6 inches or 15 cm apart, which means that at the same point in spacetime, the 2 observers will be observing unique, albeit very similar, mountains).

So neither observer observes the exact same mountain at any point in time. It is physically impossible for more than one observer to observe the exact same object ever. It isn't impossible for us to call something a mountain, and understand that we are referring to a mountain, which isn't completely and utterly defined as the exact same physical object for all observers.

* Different times, because an observer separated in space from another observer will only have a small overlap where photons emitted at the same time reach them at the same time as they reach they other observer. Photons outside of this specific narrow area will have been emitted from the mountain at different points in time for the different observes, thus the mountain will have changed ever so slightly.

You can argue that meaning is illusion if you wish, but it doesn't help. Either we choose to rely on meaning, whether from certainty or not, or we don't. If we do, then we ignore your concern. If we don't, then you haven't actually said anything at all, because we can't rely on meaning.
Or, meaning can be relied upon in some cases, and not in others. Say, for example, that your thought that you mean what you mean is an illusion, but meaning itself is not. Don't think it's a pragmatic way of looking at things, but..

This is the part of your post that I really enjoyed:

The first is the importance of not getting hung up on individual words and phrases, but rather focusing on what someone is trying to say, what they are trying to convey. If nothing else, it helps new people contribute, and filters out those who are just attempting to score points off others.

The second is philosophy is more than just verbal trickery. Properly weilded, philosophy cuts through sophistry, political rhetoric and intentionally confusing language. That's one of the reasons why it is so useful.
Unfortunately, one cannot tell between deliberate idiocy and sophistry, unless a sophist indicates a great intellect by their sophistry. I've been completely wrong about various ideas in the past, so can see that others could be as well. I've been consumed by emotions in the past, in such a way that I've not been able to perceive the truth, and have been completely wrong as well.

In fact, I see these behaviors in others, who say very similar things to what I said in the past, but this doesn't necessarily mean they are making the exact same mistakes that I did in the past.

Just as I said, misinterpretation is seen by some as a useful tool to use in a pissing contest. It serves the purpose well enough. This is not a matter of being upset about it, just an observation of the way it is.
I see what you mean. I was continuing what I thought was a joke... a little too far perhaps, by deliberately misinterpreting what you said about deliberate misinterpretations, followed by the last coy remark that indicated "I don't know what you mean" (although I do).

Perhaps I went a little too meta? In other words, did my meta-misinterpretation go too far, or do we just have to clear stuff up every once in a while to make sure we are on the same track, and the meta-humor is all right? <-- or is this last statement a metacoy layer atop the others? In other words, am I pretending to not know something that I know? I don't know.

On a side note: I've definitely misinterpreted what someone has said before without intentionally doing so. More than once. Sometimes I catch myself, and sometimes someone else catches me.

I didn't have you in mind at any stage. It was mostly a general remark, with one or two posters in mind...I won't mention who.

At points in time, you do not mean the statement to mean anything.

This is introducing a third use of the same term - this time to denote an intentional action to achieve an end.

You are presumably thinking about something entirely different, perhaps meaning something else. In fact there are points in time in which you mean something, and put a statement out there, and the meaning of what you meant is conveyed to another, while you don't mean what you said at that point in time because you're eating good food, or laughing at something someone did or said.

You don't mean anything (or you mean something entirely different) at those points in time, although what you meant is out there, and is only meant by you at the times you mean what you said. You both mean what you said (still), and don't mean what you said at the same exact time (because you are not currently meaning what you said, although you definitely mean what you said).

Again no. If you want to attach meaning to words, it can't be based on a temporary intention to communicate. Words are used to communicate a concept. A concept is not identical to the mental state of the communicator, either at the time of communication, or when having lunch afterwards.

A sentence has two meanings, a sense - which is the words and language that make it up, and can vary widely, and a reference - which is it's truth value. Two people looking at a mountain may use wildly different constructions to describe the mountain, and may genuinely see it in very different ways. However their very different senses of the mountain have the same reference - they are referring to the same physical object.

Know they aren't. They receive different photons, which have been emitted from the mountain at different times* in the mountains existence, when the electrons, protons, etc. that form the mountain have changed position ever so slightly. In fact, they are definitely looking at atoms that are in slightly different positions relative to that of the other observer (since observers have to be about 6 inches or 15 cm apart, which means that at the same point in spacetime, the 2 observers will be observing unique, albeit very similar, mountains).

So neither observer observes the exact same mountain at any point in time. It is physically impossible for more than one observer to observe the exact same object ever. It isn't impossible for us to call something a mountain, and understand that we are referring to a mountain, which isn't completely and utterly defined as the exact same physical object for all observers.

That only holds true if you define an object in terms of your personal sensory experience, and reject the idea of an object existing independently of your observation of it. Given that this is an entire topic in itself, I'm reluctant to discuss it in detail, but it suffices to say that you can no more demonstrate a paradox in referring to objects by denying the existence of objects than you can demonstrate a paradox in intended meaning by denying the existence of meaning. You seem to be trying the same trick over again, and it doesn't work now any more than it worked before.

Or, meaning can be relied upon in some cases, and not in others. Say, for example, that your thought that you mean what you mean is an illusion, but meaning itself is not. Don't think it's a pragmatic way of looking at things, but..

It's also not what 'relied upon' refers to. If it sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't, it's still not reliable. Unless you have a means of telling the two scenarios apart?

This is the part of your post that I really enjoyed:

The second is philosophy is more than just verbal trickery. Properly wielded, philosophy cuts through sophistry, political rhetoric and intentionally confusing language. That's one of the reasons why it is so useful.

Unfortunately, one cannot tell between deliberate idiocy and sophistry, unless a sophist indicates a great intellect by their sophistry.

Do you need to be able to distinguish between them? Surely it's useful enough to discard both?

I've been completely wrong about various ideas in the past, so can see that others could be as well. I've been consumed by emotions in the past, in such a way that I've not been able to perceive the truth, and have been completely wrong as well.

In fact, I see these behaviours in others, who say very similar things to what I said in the past, but this doesn't necessarily mean they are making the exact same mistakes that I did in the past.

Well no, of course not. That's why philosophy concentrates on how particular arguments are structured, and the logical constructions used, and pays less attention to the actual conclusion. Because the fact that conclusions are different is largely irrelevant compared to how it was you arrived at them, and whether the logic that brought you to that point is valid, sound, and based on agreed premises.

As long as you do that, it doesn't matter if you're right or wrong, consumed by passion or calm and cold, or even if you understand the motives of the other person. You can still compare reasoning, compare arguments, and work out why your opinions differ on a rational basis. If anything, it's far more useful to talk with someone who doesn't agree with you, because you learn more than way.

However, the process relies critically on focusing on arguments, not the people themselves, and on arguing the positions as presented, rather than opinions that you ascribe to others.

In other words, you've no interest in the content of the replies, you're just interested in me. Everyone here understands what I've said, some are even willing to discuss it with you, but that's not enough for you because you're interested in my motives and beliefs, and not the topic under discussion. Edited
I am here and I don't understand what you have said.

In what particular?

Last edited by a moderator:
Again no. If you want to attach meaning to words, it can't be based on a temporary intention to communicate. Words are used to communicate a concept. A concept is not identical to the mental state of the communicator, either at the time of communication, or when having lunch afterwards.
Your original statement means that someone (DBT in this case) cannot convince you that you meant something other than what you meant. You were referring to him trying to convince you that you meant something other than what you meant (although you formulated the statement in the present, which allows a bit of ambiguity and equivocation, but what you meant was that he could not convince you that you meant something other than what you meant). However, it is not necessarily true that DBT cannot convince you that you meant something other than what you meant.

At some point in the future, you might become convinced that you meant something else when re-reading your statement. There is a possibility that many years from now you might think you meant something else by your statement, because you consider it from a different "angle", forget the context of the conversation, or whatever.

So while it may take time, what you meant by your statement to DBT about not being able to be convinced that you meant something other than what you meant is not necessarily true, unless, of course, you have didactic memory. hahah... I meant one thing, yet said a word that meant something else. And really, eidetic memory isn't exactly what I was going for either. I had written the hidden part below before I learned what didactic meant- was going to delete it.. but the humor of the situation requires I save it for you to glance at (if you're not too bored by my words).

So the concept that you intend to convey is the concept you intend to convey. What about in situations in which the concept you intend to convey is slightly nebulous to you?
Say you mean something or someone, but can't exactly form the concept, either because you forget a piece of information (referent) or the concept itself is ill defined.

So you mean someone or something specific, yet you do not mean what you mean because you cannot recall the referent for what you mean, which would allow you to mean what you want to mean.

added later: I meant perfect memory, but I couldn't remember the proper term, and I learned what didactic meant in the process, which is also humorous.

However their very different senses of the mountain have the same reference - they are referring to the same physical object.

Know they aren't. They receive different photons, which have been emitted from the mountain at different times* in the mountains existence, when the electrons, protons, etc. that form the mountain have changed position ever so slightly. In fact, they are definitely looking at atoms that are in slightly different positions relative to that of the other observer (since observers have to be about 6 inches or 15 cm apart, which means that at the same point in spacetime, the 2 observers will be observing unique, albeit very similar, mountains). ....

That only holds true if you define an object in terms of your personal sensory experience, and reject the idea of an object existing independently of your observation of it. Given that this is an entire topic in itself, I'm reluctant to discuss it in detail, but it suffices to say that you can no more demonstrate a paradox in referring to objects by denying the existence of objects than you can demonstrate a paradox in intended meaning by denying the existence of meaning. You seem to be trying the same trick over again, and it doesn't work now any more than it worked before.
It's not a trick- it is physically impossible for 2 individuals to observe the exact same mountain. Like you said, it's another topic, and it might be more in the realm of natural science than philosophy. Do philosophers consult scientis

In 5.4*10^-24 seconds, a mountain is altered a tiny bit, light can only travel 1.62×10^−15 meters in this amount of time. There is no way that 2 observers observe the exact same mountain, because of special relativity, and the size of the observers. There will only be one very small part of the mountain that is exactly the same for both observers.

The object is not the same object from one moment to the next, which means it is also not the same object when viewed from different locations (different observers view different points in time when looking at the same points in space). This is true of physical objects, not mathematical objects, or perhaps perfectly defined concepts.

So you cannot say that 2 observers (we might be able to develop devices that do it??) can look at the same physical object. It is impossible. Every single observer by definition looks at a completely unique physical object, with only a small overlap with other observers.

It's also not what 'relied upon' refers to. If it sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't, it's still not reliable. Unless you have a means of telling the two scenarios apart?
I don't. I don't see a problem with the following: I can rely upon my hammer to pull and pound nails, I cannot rely on it to connect to the internet, the hammer can be relied upon in some cases.
I've been completely wrong about various ideas in the past, so can see that others could be as well. I've been consumed by emotions in the past, in such a way that I've not been able to perceive the truth, and have been completely wrong as well.

In fact, I see these behaviours in others, who say very similar things to what I said in the past, but this doesn't necessarily mean they are making the exact same mistakes that I did in the past.

Well no, of course not. That's why philosophy concentrates on how particular arguments are structured, and the logical constructions used, and pays less attention to the actual conclusion. Because the fact that conclusions are different is largely irrelevant compared to how it was you arrived at them, and whether the logic that brought you to that point is valid, sound, and based on agreed premises.
What about premises that either correspond to reality or not? What about ambiguous premises? Doesn't philosophy also encompass determining which premises are true?

Your original statement means that someone (DBT in this case) cannot convince you that you meant something other than what you meant. You were referring to him trying to convince you that you meant something other than what you meant (although you formulated the statement in the present, which allows a bit of ambiguity and equivocation, but what you meant was that he could not convince you that you meant something other than what you meant). However, it is not necessarily true that DBT cannot convince you that you meant something other than what you meant.

No, agreed, it is not a necessary truth. That doesn't mean it isn't true though, merely that it isn't a logical necessity.

So the concept that you intend to convey is the concept you intend to convey. What about in situations in which the concept you intend to convey is slightly nebulous to you?

Say you mean something or someone, but can't exactly form the concept, either because you forget a piece of information (referent) or the concept itself is ill defined.

Then the intended meaning is something ill-defined. There's nothing particularly wrong with ill-defined concepts, and they see common usage. Indeed, once you get into some of the humanities, it becomes clear that some communication is intentionally not precisely defined, so as to communicate multiple concepts through its very ambiguity. A pun is the most obvious example, but you can get all sorts of double or triple meanings that are entirely intentional. e.g. From Shakespeare's As You Like It

And hour by hour we ripe and ripe
And hour by hour we rot and rot
And thereby hangs a tale.

Whereby the speaker (a jester) is delivering a monologue on the evitable decay of humanity, commenting on the transitory nature of joy, but also trying to bring down his companions high spirits, and also making a joke about sex that actively undermines his own point (hour is pronounced whore, ripe is pronounced rape, rot is pronounced rut, and tale is pronounced tail - Elizabethan slang for the penis).

The point here is that the ambiguity is not a problem of poor definition or a shift in meaning, it's the entire point of the communication, and was intended, shifts in meaning over time and all, from the start.

However their very different senses of the mountain have the same reference - they are referring to the same physical object.

Know they aren't. They receive different photons, which have been emitted from the mountain at different times* in the mountains existence, when the electrons, protons, etc. that form the mountain have changed position ever so slightly. In fact, they are definitely looking at atoms that are in slightly different positions relative to that of the other observer (since observers have to be about 6 inches or 15 cm apart, which means that at the same point in spacetime, the 2 observers will be observing unique, albeit very similar, mountains). ....

It's not a trick- it is physically impossible for 2 individuals to observe the exact same mountain.

That doesn't stop it being a trick. Irrespective of whether you consider two observations of, say, Mount Etna, to be observations of the same object, or observations of two different objects, you're still stuck with either objects being constant over time, or objects inevitably changing over time. If it's the former, there's no inconsistency in regarding objects as constant. If it's the latter, there is still no inconsistency - you've simply defined objects as being singular events. Someone referring to a constant object ('Look! There's Mount Etna') isn't being logically inconsistent - simply mistaken on the facts, and if the mountains somehow was trapped in a time bubble or otherwise insulated from the effects of entropy, then there would be nothing logically inconsistent in their referential world.

Again, you can't demonstrate that a sense/reference distinction with regards to objects is conceptually inconsistent by defining objects as never in practice being constant, any more than you can demonstrate a sense / reference distinction with regards to meaning being conceptually inconsistent by defining meaning out of existence. It's the same trick in each case, and it doesn't work in each case, because all you're really doing is playing with definitions until the object of the distinction disappears.

Like you said, it's another topic, and it might be more in the realm of natural science than philosophy.

I wouldn't have thought so. It's just a variation on Heraclitus' contention that you can't step into the same river twice. The mechanism and speed by which the natural world changes would be a matter for natural science, but whether this does or does not result in the mountain being classed as a different object each time you look at it is simply a matter of definition, and the meaning of terms.

I'm not particularly convinced by the idea that because objects changed, they can't be said to be the same objects. If nothing else, applied consistently, this would undermine the practice of science, since by the same token experiments can not be repeated - something will have changed between trials, no matter how small and insignificant. It would also render physical laws obsolete, since every set of conditions would be unique. In practice, if you adopt this view, then people would just grumble a bit, stick in something about all propositions laws and experiments to be subject to ignorable variations, and both scientists and philosophers would then carry on exactly as before.

I don't. I don't see a problem with the following: I can rely upon my hammer to pull and pound nails, I cannot rely on it to connect to the internet, the hammer can be relied upon in some cases.

Sure, and I'm saying the reason the hammer remains reliable is that you can usefully distinguish between nails and an internet connection. If you couldn't, and you regularly came home to try and connect to your ISP by banging on your modem with a big hammer, you'd likely come to the conclusion that the hammer was an unreliable tool, and might even stop using it altogether.

In your suggestion of thought being an illusion, but meaning itself not being an illusion, you are creating a distinction between illusion (my thoughts) and not-illusion (meaning in the abstract). I'm a little concerned by this at first glance, since it would appear to set up a possible contradiction. What happens if I think about meaning in the abstract? In general I prefer to avoid the term 'illusion' like the plague, because it's got a lot of baggage and embedded assumptions in it, and often crops up as a place-holder for a category that doesn't make sense in practice.

What about premises that either correspond to reality or not? What about ambiguous premises? Doesn't philosophy also encompass determining which premises are true?

Yes, but it's more concerned with what really follows from adopting particular premises, less so with definitive statements about what those premises are. It's more concerned with how you get there then what the answer is. It's like mathematics in that respect. The point is to come up with established tools and equivalencies that can be used to answer questions.

Obviously, along the way you may get some interesting ideas about what premises are true. The reason why philosophers and scientists often have differing views on what are likely and workable premises is because they tend to be faced with very different questions. For example, scientists tend to be impatient with Dualism, because it appears to divide the world into examinable and examinable categories for no good reason, and doesn't help them in any way with the problems they tend to deal with. Philosophers have a lot more time for it, in part because it allows a differing treatment of physical objects and mental constructions, which gives you a lot more flexibility when sorting out your categories and definitions.

But ultimately, a statement of whether mental events are the same or different from physical events is a matter of classification. It's only interesting in terms of the difference it makes to put them in the same category or different categories.

No, agreed, it is not a necessary truth. That doesn't mean it isn't true though, merely that it isn't a logical necessity.
For whatever reason, I think you'd find it amusing if you did think that you meant something else.

It's not a trick- it is physically impossible for 2 individuals to observe the exact same mountain.

That doesn't stop it being a trick. Irrespective of whether you consider two observations of, say, Mount Etna, to be observations of the same object, or observations of two different objects, you're still stuck with either objects being constant over time, or objects inevitably changing over time.

I don't think that anything physical remains the same, although fuzzily defined concepts, such as Mount Etna, not being precisely defined, persist.

I'm not particularly convinced by the idea that because objects changed, they can't be said to be the same objects.

This (fuzzy) definition of object supports your view: anything that is visible or tangible and is relatively stable in form.

However, I rather enjoy the idea that not one of us ever sees more than a tiny sliver of something that is the same as the rest of us do. It's like most of the universe is always virginal at all times, except for the very small parts that over lap in our experiences. Of course, it's just the whole that remains virginal.... which is not a problem whatsoever.

If nothing else, applied consistently, this would undermine the practice of science, since by the same token experiments can not be repeated - something will have changed between trials, no matter how small and insignificant.
This is the source of various problems with pinning down various fundamental constants. Spacetime is constantly in flux, with the inner movement of the Earth's mantle, the influence of the moon and tides, etc.

The amount of change is very minute, and at classical levels, apparently does not have a great impact.
In practice, if you adopt this view, then people would just grumble a bit, stick in something about all propositions laws and experiments to be subject to ignorable variations, and both scientists and philosophers would then carry on exactly as before.
Scoundrels of pragmatism. Don't care that their measurements are not perfect, instead settling for good enough. And I'll credit that to Voltaire, although there is no indication that he actually said the exact phrase...

Sure, and I'm saying the reason the hammer remains reliable is that you can usefully distinguish between nails and an internet connection. If you couldn't, and you regularly came home to try and connect to your ISP by banging on your modem with a big hammer, you'd likely come to the conclusion that the hammer was an unreliable tool, and might even stop using it altogether.
Thanks a lot. Now I have to use my neighbors wifi until I get a new modem. I thought you were serious.

In your suggestion of thought being an illusion, but meaning itself not being an illusion, you are creating a distinction between illusion (my thoughts) and not-illusion (meaning in the abstract).
I was trying to convey: the thought that you mean what you mean is a bit deceiving, but meaning itself is not.
In other words, perhaps the statements (that DBT was trying to convince you meant something else) meant what they meant, and were formed within you, but your approval of them is not due to you, but rather due to many factors that are not in your control.

But ultimately, a statement of whether mental events are the same or different from physical events is a matter of classification. It's only interesting in terms of the difference it makes to put them in the same category or different categories.
Yeah. Mental events with external correspondence vs. mental events without external correspondence. And then you have mental events with external correspondence only in certain classes of minds...

So, I'm dying to know. Did they consult the philosopher for the purpose of entertainment?

Yes. They hired John Searle. His act was to continually raise his right arm to prove that he could.

So, I'm dying to know. Did they consult the philosopher for the purpose of entertainment?

Yes. They hired John Searle. His act was to continually raise his right arm to prove that he could.
Hmm, I still haven't figured out if he is an AI or not. What test could be used to differentiate between a perfect AI and a being with conscious awareness?

If he is an AI I doubt that he actually has intent, in which case raising his right arm wouldn't be to prove that "he could" but rather simply to act as if he was proving that he could.

Back
Top Bottom