• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What video game are you playing?

Honestly, I'm surprised it went this far without a diplomacy system, even though I like diplomacy in games a lot less than I once did.

I guess part of the problem is that if you want a science victory, you almost have to be a conqueror, and it's nearly impossible to get other nations to like you after you've wiped out every nation on the continent.
This was my problem as well. Unless it was super early game. I'd be going for a science victory, get attacked, simply defend myself, and then get attitude from other civs. "Remember 2,800 years ago when Germany attacked you and you drove them out, tail between their legs? Then India attacked you 2000 years ago, and you pushed them back and called their accent stupid? Then England attacked your port city and you decimated her fleet in 1459? God you're a warmonger! "

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I got American Truck Simulator for $5. It's surprisingly enjoyable.

Finally getting into Diablo 3 after not playing it since finishing the story way back when it launched. It helps that my wife and son both got into it recently so it's something we can do as a family.

Honestly, I'm surprised it went this far without a diplomacy system, even though I like diplomacy in games a lot less than I once did.

I guess part of the problem is that if you want a science victory, you almost have to be a conqueror, and it's nearly impossible to get other nations to like you after you've wiped out every nation on the continent.
This was my problem as well. Unless it was super early game. I'd be going for a science victory, get attacked, simply defend myself, and then get attitude from other civs. "Remember 2,800 years ago when Germany attacked you and you drove them out, tail between their legs? Then India attacked you 2000 years ago, and you pushed them back and called their accent stupid? Then England attacked your port city and you decimated her fleet in 1459? God you're a warmonger! "

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Heh. Indeed.

I'm actually considering not getting the new expansion. I remember what consumable resources were like in past iterations of Civ, and I'm not certain I want to go back to that. My games tend to last a lot of turns, which means I would be running out of a lot of stuff towards the end, and late game, chances are everyone is going to be low on resources, so conquest probably won't fix that. Meh.

- - - Updated - - -

Finally getting into Diablo 3 after not playing it since finishing the story way back when it launched. It helps that my wife and son both got into it recently so it's something we can do as a family.

Family LAN party with a brainless hack 'n slash? Now that sounds like a good time!

Persona 5: 4.5/10 for gameplay and story, 8.5/10 for presentation and style

i'm only about 25 hours into this and it's a JRPG so my score is based on what i've gone through so far.
combat is mostly OK, story is typical of the JRPG (convoluted, esoteric, needlessly obfuscated), but the whole "this is an anime in video game form" aesthetic is quite interesting - and some of the very very obvious cultural differences between japan and the US make some of the dialogue and situations very amusing to an american audience. i can't even imagine playing this if you were somehow just very ignorant of japanese culture and zeitgeist, it would be a total mind-fuck.

Official Canada announcement
[YOUTUBE]eg0PYsWK1dc[/YOUTUBE]

Discussion about announcement
[YOUTUBE]0Fq4XnoSGhQ[/YOUTUBE]

Article with summary for people who don't want or can't watch videos: https://www.pcgamer.com/canada-in-c...nks-mounties-and-has-to-declare-war-politely/

Argh.

For the first time in many, many years, I'm actually considering not getting a Civ expansion pack. I remember a version of Civ in the past that had consumable resources, and I really hated it. Also, I like diplomacy systems less and less as I get older and grumpier.

But boy are they making that decision hard. Some of the new civilizations sound interesting.

Canada can build farms on tundra, tundra tile purchases cost half, they can't declare surprise war on anyone and no one can declare surprise war on anyone else, they get double the quantity of resources from tundra tiles. Special tile improvement: hockey rink. You only get one per city, but they get a nice fat bonus if built next to an entertainment district with the right improvement in it.

Fallout 76

Slowly, and often painfully

With frequent bouts of running away from the wtf clusters of scorchbeasts and randomly generated super mutants that are double my level because some lvl 127 person wandered through a corner of that map region

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fallout 76

With frequent bouts of running away from the wtf clusters of scorchbeasts and randomly generated super mutants that are double my level because some lvl 127 person wandered through a corner of that map region

Umm...why? The Fallout New California mod is out, just saying.

X-Com 2. It is like X-Com but it has the number 2 next to it.

You win Enemy Unknown, and then... well... it didn't work out well still. And I'm thinking, what in the Terminator?!

Regardless, I liked the first game, and that was my first exposure to that type of game, and really remains my only exposure to it. It would be nice if my X-Com ex-pats survived to the second game, granted it has been 20 years, so they've aged. The enemy probably just do some psyonic crap and then my vets would be whining about how children today just don't revolt against the Advent like they did in their day... then they get killed after getting flanked.

Carnival Games (Switch) - The reviews are generally right. The upgrade from Wii graphics is nice and the new games were done well. The problem is, it is a bit repetitive after a while. The only thing that saves it is being on sale during a Xmas sale and only playing it with my young daughter (and maybe wife). Thankfully, I waited for a sale and updates as apparently the game at launch made Lawrence's crossing of the desert seem like a cakewalk compared to the grinding required to unlock anything (including motion controls?!?!?).

Stardew Valley (Switch) - Well updates were made and I'm casually back into it, but only can stomach a day at a time. I need more rock to build stairs for a deep mine run. The game gets really slow after you really establish yourself. Planting star fruit things only provides so much enjoyment as you have to wait for the darn things to grow.

Cuphead (PC) - Jesus fucking Christ on a stick, is that hard!!! I love the graphics though.

Fallout 76

Umm...why? The Fallout New California mod is out, just saying.

Because console...

CIvilization 6, Homeworld Remastered collection (God I love this game), I just snagged Baldur's Gate Remastered edition, Endless Space 2, and I just got Stellaris although I haven't played it yet, since it's on sale at Steam.
Thoughts on Endless Space 2?

Signed into Civ6 today to play, looks like there's some new updates to the game, despite the fact I haven't purchased gathering storm yet, and I'm getting a mostly blue screen instead of graphics. Uninstalled and reinstalling now hopefully this will fix it.

Civ VI: The Gathering Storm

I sooo wanted to like this game. I sooo wanted to get into it and find it interesting. I specifically avoided playing Civ VI until the first expansion pack came out because the initial releases of this franchise barely qualify as a beta and I didn't want to give them money to be one of their QA testers. There was some enjoyable stuff, but it really failed to capture my interest. There was just … something … missing. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but I could not get engaged by this game. I let it drop and then this new update came out with apparently a whole bunch of new features. I gave them more of my money and tried it out again. Exact same result.

Just something about the new mechanics and gameplay which doesn't appeal to me. It's a boring game. I think one of the biggest issues is that it encourages you to play wide instead of tall and I don't like that playstyle and production is hard to come by, so everything happens so slowly but speeding up the game clock just makes eras whip by too fast so that doesn't compensate for it.

I guess when Civ VII comes out, I'll pick up a copy a couple of years afterwards and see if things have gotten better.

I just got the new Farcry game out on computer. It's the sequel to farcry5 and it looks pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom