• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What video game are you playing?

Had to happen sometime, I suppose. Both the autosave and quicksave in Oblivion got corrupted at the same time, and my last hard save is from nearly a week ago. Can't be arsed going back and doing everything again from a week's worth of play, so it looks like that playthrough's done. Maybe it's time to dust off Skyrim, after all. At least I can find out what new mods have come out since the last time I played it (which is October 2016! :eek2: )

Well that sucks.

Although, to be honest, I'm a bit of a weirdo.

Whenever I play an RPG, I will usually have several restarts before I actually complete everything. The weird thing is, I generally enjoy the early game more than the late game, so I'm in the habit of throwing games away and restarting when it comes to RPGs.

Well that sucks.

Although, to be honest, I'm a bit of a weirdo.

Whenever I play an RPG, I will usually have several restarts before I actually complete everything. The weird thing is, I generally enjoy the early game more than the late game, so I'm in the habit of throwing games away and restarting when it comes to RPGs.

I get that, especially on later play-throughs. I know I've got several Skyrim, Fallout, and Oblivion characters to about half-way then lost interest. I know that part of it is my fault though - I start out intending to play through in a different way, set a bit more of a "character" and really develop what they would do... but I usually find myself falling into my preferred play style partway through. Then it's not so fun, because I've already played that game.

I actually end up enjoying Dragon Age playthroughs more, and I'm more inclined to finish them. I think it's in part because I pick a different character class and race, and that sets different boundaries on the interactions and opens up some different narratives. So I kind of end up forced to play a different character, because the game mechanics make it so.

With Skyrim, etc... I pretty much always fall back into an archer, who sneaks everywhere, and is pretty good at crafting stuff. Ends up being the same game, no matter how different my character looks.

Hmm, speaking of playthroughs, I haven't played either of the original Fallout games in a long time.

The first Fallout game was sort of a proto-sandbox game, and the thing that made repeat plays rewarding was that your choices really mattered. It wasn't just that your choices affected how this or that faction treated you or which victory conditions were possible, or just that your various skills affected dialog trees, but even your character's intelligence affected your side of the dialog. If you created a stupid character, your side of the dialog was hilarious ("Me like pretty bottle cap!") and many parts of dialog trees were simply unavailable to you.

It really did feel like a different game on different playthroughs.

When it comes to Elder Scrolls & Fallout games save frequently, and don't overwrite saves.

Bethesda Game Studios announce that that Starfield will be released and is described as a "next generation single player game in development". Starfield will be followed by The Elder Scrolls 6.

Well, that's a disappointment. A HUUUUUUUGGGGGEEEEE disappointment. Fallout 76 turns out to be an online multiplayer thing. Thanks but no thanks.

This is a long video of some guy ranting about how successful Fortnite is and how it's sucking all the air out of the room and shutting down other games.

I never played it myself.

That's the game they were playing at my BiL's house over Thanksgiving that gave me a migraine.

Wasn't there supposed to be some big announcement about the next Mortal Kombat game during E3? I haven't heard anything.

god of war 2018 final verdict: 9/10
basically only a small handful of technical issues and nit picks stops this from being a 10/10 but it's a hell of a game.

rise of the tomb raider: so far, like 3/10
i quite liked the first tomb raider reboot game from a few years back so when i finally got a ps4 a couple weeks ago the sequel was one of my first purchases.
thus far i've been shocked at the poor production quality - the controls are clunky, i've seen numerous graphical glitches, the CGI in the cinematics looks shockingly crappy compared to the last game, and the narrative seems to have taken a big U turn from at least attempting a kind of gritty take on the character and jumped right back into "fuck it, neither physics nor anatomy nor logic means anything - let's do an adventure with no motivation and where lora croft is basically Thor" territory, which feels very odd contrasted with them holding to the aesthetic trappings of the last game.
also, i swear to god they made her boobs bigger, had the actress notch her voice up an octave, and put in a like more gasps and shouts and desperate damsel shit.

uncharted 4: 7/10
another solid entry thus far. it's kind of hilarious playing god of war, charted 4, and tomb raider all right next to each other and looking at the vast chasms between the three games in terms of production quality. it's kind of unbelievable these all came out on the same console within a year or so of each other.

Well, that's a disappointment. A HUUUUUUUGGGGGEEEEE disappointment. Fallout 76 turns out to be an online multiplayer thing. Thanks but no thanks.

Aw, man.

Ten to 20 years ago, that news would have made me spooge my shorts.

Since then, though, I've made the unfortunate discovery that the kind of game I play can seriously fuck with my ability to get a decent night's sleep. If I play MMORPGs at all, (even if I stop playing hours before bedtime), I sleep a lot less. It gets bad enough that I start to make really bad decisions at home and at work.

I love MMOPRGs, I really do, but it turns out that I'm a person who can't play them and keep his life together.

I have yet to play an MMO that doesn't feel like an updated version of Diablo 2 with 20% more grind. Playing Battletech with the Rogue Tech mod is making my computer really strain but is definately enjoyable. Makes the game a little more true to the tabletop rules.

I have yet to play an MMO that doesn't feel like an updated version of Diablo 2 with 20% more grind. Playing Battletech with the Rogue Tech mod is making my computer really strain but is definately enjoyable. Makes the game a little more true to the tabletop rules.

What makes a MMO different is the relationship you have with other players. If you don't find decent friends and/or a decent guild, then it's just a more expensive version of an RPG with multiplayer elements tacked on (such as Diablo 2).

What makes a MMO different is the relationship you have with other players. If you don't find decent friends and/or a decent guild, then it's just a more expensive version of an RPG with multiplayer elements tacked on (such as Diablo 2).

Agreed. When you really enjoy the people you play with it makes all the difference. Thankfully I haven't been sucked back into another MMO since Star Wars Galaxies ended.

Agreed. When you really enjoy the people you play with it makes all the difference. Thankfully I haven't been sucked back into another MMO since Star Wars Galaxies ended.

The originators of MMORPGs wanted to call this type of game "persistent world gaming."

Instead the term that stuck was Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game, which is even more of a mouthful.

I always thought it should be called social games, but that term is now associate with a particular category of casual games.

The focus really is on other people. Most of what is good or bad about game design in MMORPGs is supposed to change how you interact with other players. The end game content forces you to join guilds capable of organizing raids. Certain XP bonuses encourage you to find a guild while leveling up.

A large number of chat functions facilitate communications between guild members and whatever extra-guild friends you make in the game.

If there are a lot of people doing quests in the same area as you, you'll find that most of the monsters are dead before you can get to them. As annoying as that is, you are forced to either group up with other people trying to achieve the same goals, or else go find some place where other players aren't. Either way, other people are affecting your game experience.

Nearly anything you do in a properly designed MMORPG has to do with other people for good or for ill. It's all about those other people, so the people you play with necessarily have a large impact on your experience of the game. One consequence of this is that different games have their own "culture" among the player base. For example in World of Warcraft, if something goes wrong in group play, people reflexively blame the damage-dealers, but in Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, people reflexively blamed healers. The blame thing is annoying no matter who is getting shafted by assumption, but the Warhammer community annoyed me much, much more because no one wanted to play healers because everyone heaped abuse on healers. Even though the game and the mechanics of the game were (in my opinion) objectively more fun than most other MMORPGs, I had to leave because the player community really torqued my 'nards.

Star Trek Online on the other hand, attracts a lot of players who normally don't play MMORPGs (Star Trek fans who aren't necessarily MMORPG players or even gamers). Consequently, the culture of that game is surprisingly tolerant of newbies. Most people will patiently stop and explain things to clueless people when asked.

That's funny. I. Played the game a couple of years ago and quickly got an admiral (starfleet) going. I left it behind, but with their deep space 9 revamp I've been logging in again. It's not a daily thing, but because I'm not spending any money, I dont feel it's a waste.

I don't really socialize on the game. One thing I like about Star Trek online is that you don't HAVE to if you don't want to. I wouldn't mind a like minded group for this game though, it would probably be more fun that way. Anyway, I'm still re-trying to figure everything out again....

I haven't come back to it in a long time, but I do enjoy the solo-ability. You don't have to interact with other people if you don't want to, and if you level up a new character, you don't know if the silent person next to you is a noob who hasn't figured out the chat functions yet or a veteran who is trying to ignore you.

Back
Top Bottom