• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What video game are you playing?

Stellaris is shaping up to be a good game, but it has by far the worst tutorial ever. It takes a good deal of research and simple trial and error to learn even the basics. It's a huge timesink and I still have no idea what I'm doing.

I picked up the expansion mid-week last week, and have had the opportunity to play through one game. I dialed back to Warlord difficulty to get used to new mechanics (I normally play at Prince or King), and played a standard game with Wilhelmina on the new archipelago map. I am not sure I am sold on the loyalty mechanic, especially when it comes to playing on an island based map like archipelago. I never had any problem with loyalty in my own cities, probably because every civ was so isolated from each other. When it came to waging war, however, loyalty became a supreme pain in the ass. I had two civs join together and declare war on me in the mid-late game. One of them was a fairly close neighbor, while the other was half the map away, and I had a friendly relationship with everyone up to this point. I have no idea why they declared war at that point, but these things happen with Civ, so I decided to give the close neighbor (Greece) a bloody nose, and capture their capital while I was at it (their capital was one of the closest cities to my empire).

The initial attack was tough, as we were pretty evenly matched, but with my massive Dutch navy, and a budding air force, I was able to pick off a coastal city to serve as an initial staging area for my invasion. After taking that city, my plan was to knock off the next city up the coast (Athens) to enlarge the staging area, and then plunge inland to take on the landlocked capital of Sparta. I had Athens on the ropes just a few turns after taking the first city, when that initial city suddenly became a Free City. I had started installing a governor a turn or two after taking the city, but the governor did not have a chance to even get settled before this city flipped. First thing that irked me was that the flip itself was bugged. I had most of my navy still within the borders of the city I had taken, including two aircraft carriers loaded down with bombers. I had also moved a fighter plane into the city after taking it. When the city flipped, the fighter disappeared from the game and one of my aircraft carriers had both bombers removed from it, while the other had all both bombers still attached. Of the two bombers that went missing, I found one at my next closest city, the other had been removed from the game along with the fighter. I reloaded a couple turns back and made sure my aircraft carriers were not in the flipping territory, and got my fighter out of the city before the flip, to make things less annoying. Still, I had to deal with a flipped free city, but was not too concerned.

I adjusted my tactics, finished taking out Athens, and then went on to the next coastal city beyond Athens, as I still needed more room for staging units. I got a governor in Athens immediately after taking it, and also set off a general there that was supposed to increase loyalty for the city by 2 every turn. Since I was in a Golden Age, I thought this would solve the loyalty problem in Athens. It did seem to mitigate it a bit, as it took a few more turns for Athens to flip than the previous city, but it did flip just as I was about to take the next city. This frustrated me a great deal, so I razed the third city as soon as I took it. Then I went back to the first city, took it again and razed it. Athens was important to me, it was a large city with a lot of land, and right next to Sparta, so I took it back and tried to keep it happy. By the time I took Sparta, however, I had to deal with Athens flipping about 3 more times. Of course, you can't raze a capital, but if you could, I would have razed everything and walked away, I was that pissed at this new mechanic. Instead, I sued for peace, and got Gorgo to cede both Athens and Sparta. This, and installing governors, was all it took to resolve the loyalty issues, I kept both cities until the end of the game, which I won with a Science victory.

So, I am not all that enamored with the new loyalty mechanic. City flipping is buggy with regards to what happens to your units, and I think the mechanic in general will be an extreme pain in the ass when it comes to going for Domination victories. I feel that this is the primary victory that multiplayer games go toward. It might not be as much of an issue maps with more land (and thus closer civs), but it seems like they are trying to discourage Domination play, which can only serve make nearly all multiplayer games 500 turn slogs to victory.

End game spying was a bit different as well, they seem to have tuned the AI a bit when it comes to spying. Getting to a Space Race victory has always been rather uneventful for me, even at King difficulty the AI would never really go after my spaceship builds, and I would sabotage the hell out of theirs. In this game, the AI civs hit me from all angles as I was closing in on the victory. My governor that provided space race bonuses was targeted constantly, and I could only count on having him for 2 or three turns before he was neutralized again. My space race projects were sabotaged over and over again, even with a counterspy watching the launch pad at all times, the counterspy only blocked one out of about 5 sabotage attempts. In addition to those two angles of attack, I had to deal with about a half dozen uprisings in my second largest city during that end game run, all were orchestrated by spy operations. Fortunately, I put them all down before they got anywhere close to my spaceport.

Wow, that was a lot longer than I intended, and I didn't mean for it all to be negative. I like the dark/golden age mechanic, and governors are decent as well, though I think the limitation to 8 governors might be a problem on larger maps, and the time it takes to establish them in a city is not helpful when it comes to waging war. Next game, I think I will try a domination victory on a map without oceans, and see if my feelings on loyalty remain the same.

It takes a while to get used to.

For example, there are government policies that affect loyalty. One military policy will give you extra loyalty for having a military unit garrisoned in that city. A couple of other policies will increase the loyalty bonuses from governors.

Keep taking cities, and be prepared to go back and re-capture cities that flip on you. Eventually, you'll get enough cities that the loyalty works in your favor and against the opponent (provided there isn't another civ exerting pressure on you both).

I generally play on continents on huge maps, so I will only bother with invasions of civs that share a border with me. That way the loyalty from my own cities helps with the early stages of the invasion. I have yet to try invading another continent yet.

Addendum: the military governor (Victor the Castellan) can transfer to a new city in 3 turns instead of 5. That can be a critical piece of information during the early stages of conquering another civilization's cities.

The wait for Battletech is slowly driving me insane. The next four weeks can't happen soon enough. The DLC/mod potential of this game is almost limitless. I'm betting an Operation Revival mod by Christmas at the latest.

The wait for Battletech is slowly driving me insane. The next four weeks can't happen soon enough. The DLC/mod potential of this game is almost limitless. I'm betting an Operation Revival mod by Christmas at the latest.

Battletech is an FPS for people with slow reflexes. :D

Kinda explains why I enjoy X-Com as well. If a game requires Battletoad-esque procognitive reflexes, I am not their target market. I would get massacred in PUBG.

Kinda explains why I enjoy X-Com as well. If a game requires Battletoad-esque procognitive reflexes, I am not their target market. I would get massacred in PUBG.

Oh, I was definitely talking about myself. My reflexes were never that good when I was young.

Hey! That means it's an FPS I might be able to play!
Because I get really tired of doing nothing but dying.

Stardew Valley. I can't stop playing that damn game! I started Mario Odyssey but went back to Stardew Valley. *sigh*

I picked up the expansion mid-week last week, and have had the opportunity to play through one game. I dialed back to Warlord difficulty to get used to new mechanics (I normally play at Prince or King), and played a standard game with Wilhelmina on the new archipelago map. I am not sure I am sold on the loyalty mechanic, especially when it comes to playing on an island based map like archipelago. I never had any problem with loyalty in my own cities, probably because every civ was so isolated from each other. When it came to waging war, however, loyalty became a supreme pain in the ass. I had two civs join together and declare war on me in the mid-late game. One of them was a fairly close neighbor, while the other was half the map away, and I had a friendly relationship with everyone up to this point. I have no idea why they declared war at that point, but these things happen with Civ, so I decided to give the close neighbor (Greece) a bloody nose, and capture their capital while I was at it (their capital was one of the closest cities to my empire).

The initial attack was tough, as we were pretty evenly matched, but with my massive Dutch navy, and a budding air force, I was able to pick off a coastal city to serve as an initial staging area for my invasion. After taking that city, my plan was to knock off the next city up the coast (Athens) to enlarge the staging area, and then plunge inland to take on the landlocked capital of Sparta. I had Athens on the ropes just a few turns after taking the first city, when that initial city suddenly became a Free City. I had started installing a governor a turn or two after taking the city, but the governor did not have a chance to even get settled before this city flipped. First thing that irked me was that the flip itself was bugged. I had most of my navy still within the borders of the city I had taken, including two aircraft carriers loaded down with bombers. I had also moved a fighter plane into the city after taking it. When the city flipped, the fighter disappeared from the game and one of my aircraft carriers had both bombers removed from it, while the other had all both bombers still attached. Of the two bombers that went missing, I found one at my next closest city, the other had been removed from the game along with the fighter. I reloaded a couple turns back and made sure my aircraft carriers were not in the flipping territory, and got my fighter out of the city before the flip, to make things less annoying. Still, I had to deal with a flipped free city, but was not too concerned.

I adjusted my tactics, finished taking out Athens, and then went on to the next coastal city beyond Athens, as I still needed more room for staging units. I got a governor in Athens immediately after taking it, and also set off a general there that was supposed to increase loyalty for the city by 2 every turn. Since I was in a Golden Age, I thought this would solve the loyalty problem in Athens. It did seem to mitigate it a bit, as it took a few more turns for Athens to flip than the previous city, but it did flip just as I was about to take the next city. This frustrated me a great deal, so I razed the third city as soon as I took it. Then I went back to the first city, took it again and razed it. Athens was important to me, it was a large city with a lot of land, and right next to Sparta, so I took it back and tried to keep it happy. By the time I took Sparta, however, I had to deal with Athens flipping about 3 more times. Of course, you can't raze a capital, but if you could, I would have razed everything and walked away, I was that pissed at this new mechanic. Instead, I sued for peace, and got Gorgo to cede both Athens and Sparta. This, and installing governors, was all it took to resolve the loyalty issues, I kept both cities until the end of the game, which I won with a Science victory.

So, I am not all that enamored with the new loyalty mechanic. City flipping is buggy with regards to what happens to your units, and I think the mechanic in general will be an extreme pain in the ass when it comes to going for Domination victories. I feel that this is the primary victory that multiplayer games go toward. It might not be as much of an issue maps with more land (and thus closer civs), but it seems like they are trying to discourage Domination play, which can only serve make nearly all multiplayer games 500 turn slogs to victory.

End game spying was a bit different as well, they seem to have tuned the AI a bit when it comes to spying. Getting to a Space Race victory has always been rather uneventful for me, even at King difficulty the AI would never really go after my spaceship builds, and I would sabotage the hell out of theirs. In this game, the AI civs hit me from all angles as I was closing in on the victory. My governor that provided space race bonuses was targeted constantly, and I could only count on having him for 2 or three turns before he was neutralized again. My space race projects were sabotaged over and over again, even with a counterspy watching the launch pad at all times, the counterspy only blocked one out of about 5 sabotage attempts. In addition to those two angles of attack, I had to deal with about a half dozen uprisings in my second largest city during that end game run, all were orchestrated by spy operations. Fortunately, I put them all down before they got anywhere close to my spaceport.

Wow, that was a lot longer than I intended, and I didn't mean for it all to be negative. I like the dark/golden age mechanic, and governors are decent as well, though I think the limitation to 8 governors might be a problem on larger maps, and the time it takes to establish them in a city is not helpful when it comes to waging war. Next game, I think I will try a domination victory on a map without oceans, and see if my feelings on loyalty remain the same.

For example, there are government policies that affect loyalty. One military policy will give you extra loyalty for having a military unit garrisoned in that city. A couple of other policies will increase the loyalty bonuses from governors.

Keep taking cities, and be prepared to go back and re-capture cities that flip on you. Eventually, you'll get enough cities that the loyalty works in your favor and against the opponent (provided there isn't another civ exerting pressure on you both).

I generally play on continents on huge maps, so I will only bother with invasions of civs that share a border with me. That way the loyalty from my own cities helps with the early stages of the invasion. I have yet to try invading another continent yet.

It seems the archipelago map is a bad choice for a domination victory. I have played a few games on maps with less ocean to worry about, and did not have the same problem with loyalty. The first one was on a small Pangea map, and I was specifically going for a domination victory to test out the loyalty system. By attacking cities close to my own, and slowly working my way through my opponents while paying attention to their loyalty, I actually had my opponents last few cities cities flipping their loyalty to me. I also made sure I took loyalty culture slots when available, and designed my religion with loyalty in mind. I actually ended with a religious victory in that game just before I was about to lay siege to the last capitol I needed to take for domination. The next two games were on a standard continents map where I did get the domination victory, and a Europe map that I won with a science victory. Those last two were also on Prince difficulty, rather than Warlord. Now that I know how to handle loyalty, I feel like I might be able to take a stab at domination on an archipelago or island map, or ramp the difficulty up to King.

I am finding that I like the expansion, and my biggest gripe right now is that you are limited to only 8 governors. I would like to see the number of possible governors tied to the size of the map. That is a minor nit to pick, though, as I find the gameplay generally improved in that I do have to pay a bit more attention to what is happening in my cities.

Addendum: the military governor (Victor the Castellan) can transfer to a new city in 3 turns instead of 5. That can be a critical piece of information during the early stages of conquering another civilization's cities.

He is generally the best governor to send to a newly conquered city (or your own new cities as well), not only because of the 3 turn transfer, but also due to the promotions you can load him up with. It is worth noting, however, that he is the governor I was transferring to the conquered cities on the archipelago map where I was having loyalty problems.

BattleTech mechs its way to release on April 24th

Oh, for fucks sake! It was highly optimistic of me I know, that when HBS said "April release" it could mean the start of April. But I just bought the Battle Isle pack on GOG, so that will tie me over until then. Man, I forgot how bad the acting/dubbing in BI3 was. Entertaining in a The Room kinda way.

I play solitaire on my phone while I wait for my wife.

I tend to play it a lot.

I tend to play it a lot.

Flow is my waiting-game-of-choice.

Mmm... I can't get to the app store at work. Anyway, you connect the dots without overlapping the lines. It's a problem solving game, and there are several variations.

Some time ago I purchased Fallout 4 and was disappointed to learn that my pc at that time couldn't quite handle it. But it works quite well on this laptop, so now I'm lost in post-apocalyptic Boston.

Some time ago I purchased Fallout 4 and was disappointed to learn that my pc at that time couldn't quite handle it. But it works quite well on this laptop, so now I'm lost in post-apocalyptic Boston.

braces,

I've always found Fallout a bit clunky; all that shooting bits of people and stuff.

Just enjoying Far Cry Primal tonight. :)

A.

I don't know how far into FO4 you are. My recommendation is to pretty much ignore the main storyline once you've found Diamond City. The game is more enjoyable without the main story, IMO. Also, true to Bethesda form... the DLCs are all better than the main story, and I highly recommend all of them.

Spoiler includes some vague but very specific recommendations for 2 of the DLCs. Don't read if you don't want to know. :D

If you start out on Far Harbor, I recommend taking Nick with you as a companion. And if you decide to do the Nuke-World DLC, I suggest NOT starting any of the Minutemen quests - that means DON'T talk to Preston Garvey after fixing up Sanctuary.

He is generally the best governor to send to a newly conquered city (or your own new cities as well), not only because of the 3 turn transfer, but also due to the promotions you can load him up with. It is worth noting, however, that he is the governor I was transferring to the conquered cities on the archipelago map where I was having loyalty problems.

I have not tried conquering cities on another continent unless it was very close to a continent I owned such that my existing cities were able to exert loyalty pressure from my existing cities. I'm not even sure if it's possible to conquer a nation on a far away continent unless maybe it's early in the game.

It seems the archipelago map is a bad choice for a domination victory. I have played a few games on maps with less ocean to worry about, and did not have the same problem with loyalty. The first one was on a small Pangea map, and I was specifically going for a domination victory to test out the loyalty system. By attacking cities close to my own, and slowly working my way through my opponents while paying attention to their loyalty, I actually had my opponents last few cities cities flipping their loyalty to me. I also made sure I took loyalty culture slots when available, and designed my religion with loyalty in mind. I actually ended with a religious victory in that game just before I was about to lay siege to the last capitol I needed to take for domination. The next two games were on a standard continents map where I did get the domination victory, and a Europe map that I won with a science victory. Those last two were also on Prince difficulty, rather than Warlord. Now that I know how to handle loyalty, I feel like I might be able to take a stab at domination on an archipelago or island map, or ramp the difficulty up to King.

I am finding that I like the expansion, and my biggest gripe right now is that you are limited to only 8 governors. I would like to see the number of possible governors tied to the size of the map. That is a minor nit to pick, though, as I find the gameplay generally improved in that I do have to pay a bit more attention to what is happening in my cities.

Yeah, if you plan on conquering other nations (very helpful for a science victory since more citizens = more science), getting those loyalty-related cards in your government is critical.

- - - Updated - - -

I tend to play it a lot.

You need more digital books, sir!

I rarely play games on mobile devices anymore, but books will always be the best time killer.

There was a time when I got really excited about mobile games, including casual games, but a few bad experiences with microtransactions really soured me on mobile gaming in general.

Back
Top Bottom