• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What would count as proof of God

I do deny the atheist credo there is no evidence to support theism

Can you please provide a link to the atheist credo?
Is the entire atheist credo "There is no evidence to support theism"?

If that's the case, it should be quite easy to put an end to atheism by providing the evidence that would destroy it.

To be clear, of course there are myriad facts (really ALL facts) that are consistent with a tri-omni entity presiding over not only reality but our perception of reality. Such an entity could be your old man with a beard, a Star Wars character or anything else, and cannot be falsified.

AFAIK, there is nothing - NOTHING - NO EVIDENCE - that elevates the likelihood of a Christian god above any of the infinite number of "possible" tri-omni entities.

That is what renders religion devoid of intrinsic meaning. Religions hold only whatever meaning the "believer" pours into it, whether those things are myth, fable, fact or fiction. If you have some evidence that makes the Christian god more likely than, say, the omniscient, omnipotent, onmipresent dragon in my garage, cough it up and stop wasting everyone's time.

Meanwhile, once again I find myself defined to the margins of atheism due to theist pigeonholing. Is that your intent?

I believe in the one non-god almighty.

I shall mot have false non- gods before me.

I shall not take the non-god's name in vein.

You ignored everything else I said in my post that you quoted from, because it clearly exposed the problems with your claims. Fucking dishonest theist!

I don't have time to disabuse every notion.
You just ignore the stuff that contradicts your position. Like the circular arguments and the arguments from ignorance, and your assertion that atheism makes claims about the existence/origin of the universe. This behavior is dishonest.

If no houses existed, then the concept of a "house" would not exist. There would be literally nothing to talk about.

If a universe and a host of other conditions didn't obtain the theism-atheism debate wouldn't exist.
The debate exists because some people don't accept the unsupported claims of theists. The house is nothing like the universe. The house is a manufactured object that is built to serve a specific human purpose. Most humans are familiar with houses and understand how houses are made. If we come upon a house, we have the ability to recognize it as a house that was built by humans, as opposed to something that occurs naturally, like a mountain or a river. The house appears designed while nature does not. This defeats your argument.

Also, the universe is not a thing - it is the collection of all things that exist. And we have never witnessed the creation of a universe. The universe is not analogous to a house in any meaningful way.

You're proving my point things have to be true for anyone to think theism is true and those things are true. Such as F1 The Universe exists and F2 Life exists.
The existence of the universe and life do not demonstrate that a sentient creator is necessary to explain their existence, at least not in any way that you can demonstrate. In order to make your case, you would have to demonstrate that a universe with life in it cannot arise through natural forces, and you can't do that.

Your argument goes like this:
The universe exists
Life Exists
XXX (missing steps here)
Therefore god-did-it

You have to tell us what XXX is, because your premises don't lead to the conclusion by themselves.

In the case of houses yes. In the case of the universe (which is what we're actually talking about) no. Scientists point to a cause outside of the universe to explain the existence of the universe. They just think the cause was mindless forces.
There is no "outside the universe" - the universe is everything that exists. Scientific naturalism based on obervations of the natural universe is a reliable tool, and scientists use it because it works. You use the products of naturalistic think in your everyday life - the grid that powers your home, the roads and bridges you drive on, the computer you use to browse the internet, the medicine you take when you get sick. We can fully quantify every single force/interaction that can effect our everyday life through the Standard Model of physics. No god has ever been needed to explain anything - it is all just mindless interaction of matter/energy. God-did-it has never explained anything we know with any degree of confidence, and there is no reason to believe that god-did-it is a reasonable explanation for the existence of our universe.

Until an autopsy is conducted to determine the cause of death, it would be foolish to believe any scenario with any degree of confidence - homicide versus natural causes.

There is a 100% confidence it was intentional or natural causes because either of those conclusions require a dead body. Do you know of any case where it was neither natural causes or intentional death? Or any case where both conclusions occur? The odds of one of those possibilities is true skyrockets at the advent of discovering a corpse.
What does this have to do with the origins of the universe, assuming that it has not existed forever? What are the odds regarding the existence of gods and how do you quantify them? You can't, yet you keep making up shit claiming you can.

You are making an explicit claim that the universe requires creation by an intelligent mind without having conducted an "autopsy". Which makes your claim foolishly premature at best. Worse, you have ruled out all other potential explanations, known and unknown, and are fixated on this one explanation, which makes you blind to everything else.

Keep your shorts on. I'm only on F2. I haven't ruled out anything. If you want to make a case please do so. That would be refreshing.
A case for what? I have told you multiple times that we don't know how the universe originated, or even if it originated. Stop and fucking listen to what people are telling you. I am not making any claims in this matter, you are! You keep telling us that god-did-it is a reasonable answer, but you are unable to articulate why. The why is important. Lay out your fucking argument supported by relevant facts so we can examine your claim. But you can't do that, so you keep dodging and weaving to avoid the difficult questions - you are not here to discuss anything in good faith.

Moreover, for everything we know about the reality we find ourselves in, god-did-it has never been demonstrated to be a good answer. Not one fucking time.

Its a good answer for why the natural universe we exist in exists.
Explain why. Explain why god-did-it is a better answer than an inflating scalar field, or the supernatural cosmic toad Bantu, or universe creating pixies, or any number of other potential explanations, known or unknown that could possibly exist. Why is god-did-it a good answer?

Natural answers are good answers to phenomenon that occurs in the universe. I don't claim God caused a supernatural universe to exist just the natural one we now observe. The premise is that natural laws of physics successfully explain natural things we observe there for its natural explanations all the way down no intelligence or personal agent required. That's naturalism in the gaps and assumes its natural forces all the way down.
Scientific naturalism works, and we have no evidence to support any other assumption. Why should we assume that there is a sentient cause to our universe? Stop repeating the assertion like a fucking parrot and provide the facts and reason that would convince us.

What a fucking waste of time.

Last edited:
What a fucking waste of time.

Pretty much, yeah.
It does hold about the same entertainment value as your garden variety car crash. Not as much as a train wreck, but it far exceeds the truth value of bantering about the possible existence of and attempting to impute the necessity of magical beings.

Its a good answer for why the natural universe we exist in exists...

I want to turn that into a question: "Why does the natural universe we exist in exist?"

Now, in response to that I wonder "Why not?" Open-minded people should ask this question too. What's the alternative to existence? Is nothingness an actual possibility? If it isn't, then why wouldn't a universe exist?

And I also wonder "why ask why?" Which isn't a suggestion to be incurious and not ask questions. It's a suggestion to wonder about the questions themselves and see if there are assumptions lurking in them. Does there have to be a Why to existence? There are Whats and Hows that cosmologists (and some armchair philosophers) will try to figure out. But "Why?" questions often imply teleology - that the universe exists for a purpose. Maybe so that we humans can exist in it?

If that's the assumption -- that the universe is the sandbox to put us humans in and that's "why" it exists -- then I wonder how humans are so significant that a universe exists for them?

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool.”
- Richard Feynman

Human brains evolved in an environment in which there was a strong selection pressure towards the assignment of agency.

It's difficult (but far from impossible) to avoid animistic thought patterns; They are built into our language and our habits. We unthinkingly assume and assign a purpose to phenomena that have none.

Intelligence is, in large part, the ability to question those thoughtless assumptions, and replace them with rigorously thought through statements of the bare facts.

When we ask 'why?' we need to decide whether we are asking 'by what mechanism', or 'for what purpose'. Only intelligent agents have purpose; Asking the latter question of inanimate phenomena is simlly a cognitive error.

People and other animals may have purpose, but the vast majority of reality does not. That feels wrong, because we are social animals and live surrounded by purposeful actions. In the same way, 'nature abhors a vacuum' feels right, because we live at the bottom of a thick atmosphere. It's clear, obvious, simple, and wrong.

Ignoring gut feelings and instead following the evidence (even when it leads to weird and counterintuitive ideas) is how we have built modern civilisation. Allowing ourselves to be misled by the obvious but wrong, and putting more weight on superstition than on observed reality, is the reason it's taken tens of thousands of years.

The benefit of discarding these obvious but wrong modes of thought is simple - it actually works. Literally every modern technology is a result of deliberate decisions not to let our instincts mislead us into superstition.

From sampling Chisrtian radio and TV Drew's rhetoric is not uncommon.

If the universe did not exist, we would not be around to discuss this question. Your point, if there is one, appears to be completely irrelevant to the present discussion.
We wouldn't be here to discuss it but theism would be falsified because theism is the claim a Creator caused the universe to exist. The lack of a universe would confirm the belief God didn't create a universe. It would be like if I accused someone of murdering Mr Smith and on the day of trial Mr Smith walks in the courtroom. On the other hand if I roll out a dead Mr Smith my claim someone murdered him is more probable than if he is alive. You see there are conditions that have to be met for me to claim he was murdered. His being dead is just one. Its not circular reasoning it circumstantial evidence.

1. Circular argument
Gods create universes
The universe exists
Therefore, god created our universe
No that is not a circular argument and its not what I said either. It works just as well for naturalism. If you says naturalistic ungiuded forces caused the universe to exist, the existence of the universe makes it more probable its was a naturalistic causes than if the universe didn't exist. Because anything that exists is either something caused intentionally or unintentionally by mechanistic processes. The mere existence of something raises both possibilities. However the existence of a universe does noting for atheism.

2. Argument from ignorance
Atheists can't explain how the universe originated
Therefore, god-did-it is a good answer

This is why I don't respond to everything. You're not quoting me above. I don't have time to defend things I didn't say. A universe exists and either God did it or mother nature did it. You believe the former correct?

You want responses quote me.

I have already explained this. A singularly is not a phenomenon, and nobody thinks a singularity became the universe, caused the universe, or was the beginning of the universe. That's just your misunderstanding of what the word 'singularity' means.
Wrong explanations don't help. How many quotes from scientists do you require? How many sources? Its the working theory...
The universal origin story known as the Big Bang postulates that, 13.7 billion years ago, our universe emerged from a singularity — a point of infinite density and gravity — and that before this event, space and time did not exist (which means the Big Bang took place at no place and no time).
There is no "outside the universe" - the universe is everything that exists.

These are beliefs they may even be scientific theories. They aren't a fact and hasn't been established. They are actually examples of naturalism in the gaps.

The debate exists because some people don't accept the unsupported claims of theists.
Some people don't accept the supported claims of theists. The three facts I listed are indisputably true and each of them has to be true for theism to be true. The debate occurs because the conditions for humans to be alive and have this debate occurred. A universe exists, life exists and intelligent life exists. Atheism doesn't require any conditions be true except God not exist. We debate because the conditions for theism to be true obtained.

For any argument to be accepted as being reasonable, or probable, the argument would have to be supported by sufficient evidence. Every argument has to be judged on its own merits - simply stating that atheists don't have an answer is not sufficient to accept the god-did-it hypothesis as being reasonable. Why do you have such a hard time understanding this?

I'm not making a God of the gaps argument. I'm making a God of the facts argument.

F1 The universe exists.

Theists claim God caused a universe to exist and one does. No god in the gaps. We have a fact necessary for theism to be true and unnecessary for atheism to be true.

F2 Life exists.

Life has to exist for theism to be true. It doesn't have to exist for atheism or naturalism to be true. Do you know of any reason mindless unguided forces would need to cause life to exist?

F3 Intelligent life exists.

Just as there is no reason for natural forces to have a myriad of conditions for life to occur and more conditions for intelligent human life to exist.

Everyone in here knows the aforementioned facts. You have come to accept the idea that the universe, life and intelligent life could have occurred unintentionally by mindless forces that didn't intend stars to exist, or planets, or solar systems, or atoms and molecules or gravity and oxygen. They just fortuitously caused a myriad of conditions for us to exist while natural forces require none of them. The slightest slip up there would be no life and theism would be falsified.

The universal origin story known as the Big Bang postulates that, 13.7 billion years ago, our universe emerged from a singularity — a point of infinite density and gravity — and that before this event, space and time did not exist (which means the Big Bang took place at no place and no time).

I looked up this statement that you posted, and it is fascinating how many times it is posted verbatim without attribute on the internet.

I was trying to see if you were taking it from some fundy site. And it has been plagiarized so many times, including by you, it is hard to tell.

Look, when I roll this die, it'll be a six.

F1. This die exists. If the die didn't exist, the chances of rolling a six is impossible.
F2. I possess this die. Having the die means I can and will roll the die which increases the chances of getting a six to a non-zero value.
F3. I roll the die. The chances of it being a six are greater than if I didn't roll the die and is 1 in 6 odds.

I'm looking for the flaw in your reasoning but it appears sound. If dice didn't exist the chance of rolling a 6 with non-existent die is zero. The chance of rolling a six is as you point out 1 in 6. If you attempt to prove die can come up with the number 6 you would establish the existence of die first.

But don't forget ... the existence of physical universe IS the die on 6!

The quote he cites is wrong, even incoherent, as has been explained. Our empirical and theoretical models of the universe only go back to Planck time. Nothing further can be said. To claim the Big Bang took place at no place and no time is therefore nonsense. The Big Bang is what we model back to Planck time.

Everyone in here knows the aforementioned facts. You have come to accept the idea that the universe, life and intelligent life could have occurred unintentionally by mindless forces that didn't intend stars to exist, or planets, or solar systems, or atoms and molecules or gravity and oxygen. They just fortuitously caused a myriad of conditions for us to exist while natural forces require none of them. The slightest slip up there would be no life and theism would be falsified.
Why? You haven't declared a god to be perfect or omniscient. A god can fail. A god's creation can fail. God could end the experiment. Are you going to declare god doesn't exist while in heaven after the apocalypse because there is no universe anymore?

Drew,

I’ve already gone over this “naturalism of the gaps” with you. That you persist in using a formulation that I have rebutted, without offering a rebuttal to my rebuttal, demonstrates again that you are not interested in good-faith discussion.

Briefly, again, a “gaps” argument occurs when, faced with a gap in our knowledge, we posit a claim that is not inductively warranted. All our past explanations for prior gaps in our knowledge have been successfully filled by a natural explanation, never by a God explanation. Hence we have inductive warrant to expect that future gaps will also be filled by naturalistic explanations.

By contrast, we have zero inductive warrant to fill a gap with “goddidit.” Hence there can only be god-of-the-gaps claims, and never naturalism-of-the-gaps claims.

I'm eager to see what's next from Drew. I predict it'll be a remarkable revelation about how intelligent life needs to exist for it to make claims. And then, after that, I predict it'll be about how intelligent life needs to exist for it to make claims. And then...

If the universe did not exist, we would not be around to discuss this question. Your point, if there is one, appears to be completely irrelevant to the present discussion.
We wouldn't be here to discuss it but theism would be falsified because theism is the claim a Creator caused the universe to exist. The lack of a universe would confirm the belief God didn't create a universe.
Yes. But the existence of a universe, by itself, does not demonstrate that creator gods exist. For that claim to be considered probable, one would have to demonstrate that creator gods exist, and provide a mechanism for how gods create universes. This is the part you don't seem to understand. For any claim to be considered probable, t has to be supported by facts and evidence.

It would be like if I accused someone of murdering Mr Smith and on the day of trial Mr Smith walks in the courtroom. On the other hand if I roll out a dead Mr Smith my claim someone murdered him is more probable than if he is alive. You see there are conditions that have to be met for me to claim he was murdered. His being dead is just one. Its not circular reasoning it circumstantial evidence.
No its not. The existence of the universe is evidence that universes can exist. No inference regarding the existence of creator gods can be drawn from this evidence.

1. Circular argument
Gods create universes
The universe exists
Therefore, god created our universe
No that is not a circular argument and its not what I said either.
OK, let me restate your argument:

Theists believe the universe was created by a god
The universe exists
Therefore, it is probable that the universe was created by a god

The argument is still circular. Because the first premise presupposes the conclusion.

It works just as well for naturalism. If you says naturalistic ungiuded forces caused the universe to exist, the existence of the universe makes it more probable its was a naturalistic causes than if the universe didn't exist. Because anything that exists is either something caused intentionally or unintentionally by mechanistic processes. The mere existence of something raises both possibilities. However the existence of a universe does noting for atheism.
Nobody here has claimed that it does. You are arguing a strawman, as has been explained to you in previous posts. Instead of providing facts and reason to support your claim that the universe was created by a god, which is the real argument on the table.
From Wiki:
A straw man (sometimes written as strawman) is a form of argument and an informal fallacy of having the impression of refuting an argument, whereas the real subject of the argument was not addressed or refuted, but instead replaced with a false one.[1] One who engages in this fallacy is said to be "attacking a straw man".
You really should take some time to review logical arguments and fallacies.

2. Argument from ignorance
Atheists can't explain how the universe originated
Therefore, god-did-it is a good answer

This is why I don't respond to everything. You're not quoting me above. I don't have time to defend things I didn't say. A universe exists and either God did it or mother nature did it. You believe the former correct?
You did make that claim. And if you don't want your arguments to be misunderstood, state them as formal arguments. Instead of using bogus analogies.

I have already explained this. A singularly is not a phenomenon, and nobody thinks a singularity became the universe, caused the universe, or was the beginning of the universe. That's just your misunderstanding of what the word 'singularity' means.
Wrong explanations don't help. How many quotes from scientists do you require? How many sources? Its the working theory...
Your source is wrong - that is not the view of cosmologists today. Instead of doubling down on a false claim and exposing your ignorance, you should take the time to educate yourself.

I am guessing you don't remember high school physics, so let me explain. In the late 17th century Newton provided the first mathematical model of gravity - called Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation. This is how he wrote it out:

NewtonGravity.JPG

The gravitational force of attraction (F) between two massive particles, m1 and m2, is directly proportional to the product of their masses, and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The model works well for most practical problems in our day to day lives, but it breaks down under certain conditions - with relativistic objects (traveling at or close to the speed of light, or in the presence of very high spacetime curvatures, which we will get into later), and under certain other conditions. The model predicts that the force of attraction becomes larger as the particles are moved closer together. In the limit (remember your high school calculus?) as the separation r approaches zero, the prediction for the gravitational attraction approaches infinity.

In reality, as the distance r is decreased, other forces come into play - the strong and the weak nuclear forces, depending on the magnitude of r. These forces limit how close the particles can get (how small r can be). The limiting case that we can observe in the universe is the neutron star, where the degraded core of a star that went supernova has been collapsed into one extremely large 'nucleus' (but r is still non-zero, even with the densest material configuration known to man). But Newton did not know about subatomic particles and nuclear forces, and his model for gravity does not incorporate these interactions. Therefore, Newton's model of gravitation cannot be used to predict the attraction between particles for very small values of r tending to zero, and it incorrectly predicts an infinitely large force when the particles merge at the limit. This is what scientists refer to as a singularity. r can never be zero in nature, nor can the gravitational attraction be infinite, no matter what Newton's law states. The law does not apply under these conditions.

Lets move on to cosmological models, since we are talking about the origins of the universe. Einstein published the theory of general relativity (GR) in the early 20th century, and since that time, GR has been the tool of choice to model the behavior of the universe at macroscopic scales. Einstein's formulation of GR is also a theory of gravitation - only, instead of describing gravity as a force, it is described as the curvature of spacetime. This is how Einstein formulated his model:

GR Field Equations.JPG

The left side of the equation describes the geometry of spacetime, while the right side describes the distribution of energy/matter within spacetime. Matter causes spacetime to curve, while the curvature of spacetime dictates how matter moves. In other words, there is no force of attraction pulling you towards the center of the earth; you experience as if it were a force because you are located within a region of specetime that has been curved and distorted by the planet's mass, and your body wants to follow the curved trajectory of this region.

GR has been used to predict the behavior of large scale structures in the universe, everything from planets like Mercury to superclusters of galaxies. And the model has been exhaustively tested and demonstrated to provide very accurate predictions. But the model is still not complete - it breaks down under certain conditions. Conditions inside black holes, or conditions at the very earliest point that we can look to in our universe. If GR is used to make predictions under these conditions, it predicts a value of infinity for the curvature tensor, which we know is not true. While black holes are extremely dense objects, they occupy finite volume. We know this because we can measure the dimensions of the supermassive black hole, Sagittarius A* located at the center of our galaxy, and this object is not infinitely dense - it occupies finite space. The word singularity does not imply an infinitely dense object, it is an artifact of our limited knowledge. This is what scientists call a singularity. The word singularity is used as a placeholder, an unknown quantity, just like we use the alphabet x in algebra. Do you understand now?

There is no "outside the universe" - the universe is everything that exists.

These are beliefs they may even be scientific theories. They aren't a fact and hasn't been established. They are actually examples of naturalism in the gaps.
What are you talking about?

The debate exists because some people don't accept the unsupported claims of theists.
Some people don't accept the supported claims of theists.
So far I have seen no evidence to support your claim. You don't have any evidence, only flawed arguments and broken analogies.

The three facts I listed are indisputably true and each of them has to be true for theism to be true.
Simply believing something doesn't make it true. A billion Hindus believe in the elephant headed Ganesh, but this doesn't make Ganesh real.

The debate occurs because the conditions for humans to be alive and have this debate occurred. A universe exists, life exists and intelligent life exists. Atheism doesn't require any conditions be true except God not exist. We debate because the conditions for theism to be true obtained.
What does this have to do with anything?

For any argument to be accepted as being reasonable, or probable, the argument would have to be supported by sufficient evidence. Every argument has to be judged on its own merits - simply stating that atheists don't have an answer is not sufficient to accept the god-did-it hypothesis as being reasonable. Why do you have such a hard time understanding this?

I'm not making a God of the gaps argument. I'm making a God of the facts argument.

F1 The universe exists.

Theists claim God caused a universe to exist and one does. No god in the gaps. We have a fact necessary for theism to be true and unnecessary for atheism to be true.

F2 Life exists.

Life has to exist for theism to be true. It doesn't have to exist for atheism or naturalism to be true. Do you know of any reason mindless unguided forces would need to cause life to exist?

F3 Intelligent life exists.

Just as there is no reason for natural forces to have a myriad of conditions for life to occur and more conditions for intelligent human life to exist.

Everyone in here knows the aforementioned facts.
None of these three facts imply the existence of gods.

I believe in Bantu the supreme cosmic toad, and his ability to create universes from his flatulence. For my belief to be true, these three facts would have to occur, and they have occurred. Are you convinced that Bantu exists?

You have come to accept the idea that the universe, life and intelligent life could have occurred unintentionally by mindless forces that didn't intend stars to exist, or planets, or solar systems, or atoms and molecules or gravity and oxygen.
For good reason.

They just fortuitously caused a myriad of conditions for us to exist while natural forces require none of them. The slightest slip up there would be no life and theism would be falsified.
So? You are using the Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy. Fallacious arguments are unreliable.

Theism is an unfalsifiable hypothesis. Therefore, it has zero value.

I'm eager to see what's next from Drew. I predict it'll be a remarkable revelation about how intelligent life needs to exist for it to make claims. And then, after that, I predict it'll be about how intelligent life needs to exist for it to make claims. And then...
I'm still waiting to hear how his intelligent life got its intelligent life without intelligent life giving it it's intelligent life. Must be intelligent life all the way down.

Consider this argument:

Some people believe elves live in trees
The existence of tree-dwelling elves would be falsified if trees didn't exist
Trees exist
Therefore, it is reasonable to believe that tree-dwelling elves exist

I have just demonstrated that tree-dwelling elves (probably) exist, using the same form and logic Drew2008 has been using to try to demonstrate the credibility of the creator-god hypothesis. The argument has obvious problems:

1. It presupposes that elves exist and live in trees, which also happens to be the desired conclusion. This makes the argument circular.
2. No evidence is provided to support the first premise.
3. The premises do not logically lead to the conclusion.
4. There is no description of what an elf is and what its characteristics are, even hypothetically.
5. Nobody has ever seen an elf, or uncovered any evidence that would point to the existence of elves, much less the assertion that they live in trees.
6. It assumes that simply believing in something is evidence that the belief is likely to be true.

I believe that gremlins exist and they steal pizza from people's fridges. There was slice of pizza in the fridge this morning, and the mere observation that the slice was gone when I looked in the fridge later in the day is sufficient for me to conclude that a gremlin probably took the slice. It is immaterial that nobody has ever seen a gremlin, much less a gremlin eating a pizza; it is also immaterial that there are five other people living in the house and they all have access to the kitchen - I believe in pizza-stealing gremlins, and the pizza is gone, and therefore it must have been taken by a gremlin. Also noteworthy: if the pizza had still been in the fridge when I looked later, it would falsify my belief that gremlins exist.

Its hard to believe that a literate person would be able to make an argument this absurd with a straight face, and keep repeating it over and over.

Back
Top Bottom