• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What’s the worst thing in religion?

Some would say religion is a big problem among other big problems in the world. Some would say religion is the world’s biggest problem because it causes so many of the other problems. Some would say religion has problems in it, but those can be addressed without arguing for or hoping for the end of religion itself.

I was thinking of making a poll but then I realized the difficulty of breaking a rather nebulous topic, religion, into categories without raising questions about overlapping categories and what options I left out of the poll. So generally I'm hoping people will find a label or two to describe what is/are the major problem(s) with religion. Is it supernaturalism, authoritarianism, faith-based beliefs, indoctrination, it's anti-scientific, the shaming of people with "sin", or what else?

How would you label the one or two worst things in religion? And, if you want, add why the one or two worst things are the worst.

1. The worst must surely be, living your life after a lie. So many wasted lives. Everything else is secondary.

2. ...and that it fosters and encourages anti-intellectualism. Religion makes people say dumb shit and be proud of it. I hate it. "Well... it's my faith". Gaaah

- - - Updated - - -

The communion wine. Who the fuck only gives you one sip of wine and then makes you wait until the end of service before you can go home and have some more? That shit is just cold.

Herpes. I always think of herpes when I see that cup go around.

1. The worst must surely be, living your life after a lie. So many wasted lives. Everything else is secondary.

2. ...and that it fosters and encourages anti-intellectualism. Religion makes people say dumb shit and be proud of it. I hate it. "Well... it's my faith". Gaaah

- - - Updated - - -

The communion wine. Who the fuck only gives you one sip of wine and then makes you wait until the end of service before you can go home and have some more? That shit is just cold.

Makes me wonder what doctors who go to these things do.

- - - Updated - - -

Makes me wonder what doctors who go to these things do.

Maybe they worship satan in secret for protection

How would you label the one or two worst things in religion? And, if you want, add why the one or two worst things are the worst.

I would have to say blind faith is the worst thing about religion, and all of the other bad things about religion flow from that. Once you have committed yourself to believing that your religion is the truth, ignoring all evidence to the contrary, you have opened yourself to acting in the worst way a human being can act. Blind faith opens you to following insane religious leaders without question. It opens you to intolerance of others who do not believe exactly the way you believe. It opens you to self hatred, and self loathing. It opens you to indoctrinating children (and anyone else you have power over). Blind faith really is the root of all (religious) evil.

Right, Keeptalking. Especially if the religion you follow has a morbid view of mankind (extra morbid in its outlook on the "infidel"), a scripture filled with righteous violence, often on orders of a deity, and an end-times narrative. (Not that I'm naming any names...)

The seats. You'd think they'd have better seats in a place that generates so much money.

Right, Keeptalking. Especially if the religion you follow has a morbid view of mankind (extra morbid in its outlook on the "infidel"), a scripture filled with righteous violence, often on orders of a deity, and an end-times narrative. (Not that I'm naming any names...)

Christianity?

1. The worst must surely be, living your life after a lie.

There's no evidence that religion is a "lie" per se. A lie is a falsehood which is told with intent to deceive, and it implies that the creators of the religion knew beforehand that what they were saying was untrue. Demonstrating that there was any intent to deceive is going to be difficult, if not impossible. Isn't it much more likely that people simply believe absurd things for the sake of feeling significant?

1. The worst must surely be, living your life after a lie.

There's no evidence that religion is a "lie" per se. A lie is a falsehood which is told with intent to deceive, and it implies that the creators of the religion knew beforehand that what they were saying was untrue. Demonstrating that there was any intent to deceive is going to be difficult, if not impossible. Isn't it much more likely that people simply believe absurd things for the sake of feeling significant?

Self deception is also deception. Even if it's your subconscious doing the deceiving

It may not be an explicit lie, but the willingness to embrace a set of beliefs because they are emotionally appealing is a form of dishonestly, self deception, whether fully conscious or not.

Which, in effect, is lying to yourself and reinforcing the lie/deception through the selection bias reading material and the company you choose to keep, the religious group. The same may apply to other fields, politics, etc.

It's a bit of a stretch to to categorize the non-application of critical thinking as a type of dishonesty.

It's a bit of a stretch to to categorize the non-application of critical thinking as a type of dishonesty.

Why? Is it honest?
Maybe it’s neither honest nor dishonest. To make the judgment about “self-deception” is to assume they share your value about what rigors a belief should have to pass through before it can be considered a true belief. If they don’t share that value then they’re neither consciously nor unconsciously intending to deceive themselves.

Why? Is it honest?
Maybe it’s neither honest nor dishonest. To make the judgment about “self-deception” is to assume they share your value about what rigors a belief should have to pass through before it can be considered a true belief. If they don’t share that value then they’re neither consciously nor unconsciously intending to deceive themselves.

It can be honest (naivety), dishonest or something else, depending on the circumstances. If it is something else, it may not be a faith based belief...a conviction of truth regardless of absence of supporting evidence, and even in the face of evidence against the belief.

People in the middle ages who held a conviction in a geocentric solar system, for example, were not necessarily engaging in self deception, just flawed assumptions based on surface appearances, sun rising and setting over the horizon, etc. That became self deception and dishonesty when evidence for Heliocentric solar system became available, yet was suppressed by the Church in order to maintain dogma.

Compare it with buying a car or buying a house. I'm sure somewhere there exists someone stupid enough to just believe the salesman without fact checking. But it's customary to verify claims. Just having faith in the salesman's claims we consider a form of retardation.

If we accept that choosing a faith and buying a car are similar activities then we have to conclude that there exists a lot of wilful self-delusion when it comes to religion.

It can be honest (naivety), dishonest or something else, depending on the circumstances. If it is something else, it may not be a faith based belief...a conviction of truth regardless of absence of supporting evidence, and even in the face of evidence against the belief.

People in the middle ages who held a conviction in a geocentric solar system, for example, were not necessarily engaging in self deception, just flawed assumptions based on surface appearances, sun rising and setting over the horizon, etc. That became self deception and dishonesty when evidence for Heliocentric solar system became available, yet was suppressed by the Church in order to maintain dogma.

I agree. It isnt self-deception if you are uneducated and ignorant as a 1100 century peasant...

Compare it with buying a car or buying a house. I'm sure somewhere there exists someone stupid enough to just believe the salesman without fact checking. But it's customary to verify claims. Just having faith in the salesman's claims we consider a form of retardation.

If we accept that choosing a faith and buying a car are similar activities then we have to conclude that there exists a lot of wilful self-delusion when it comes to religion.
Of course, there's no law of language usage which forbids anyone from equating 'stupidity' with 'dishonesty' but if you don't make a distinction between 'stupidity' and 'dishonesty', you run the risk of confusing the vast majority of English language speakers who do make the distinction.

Of course, there's no law of language usage which forbids anyone from equating 'stupidity' with 'dishonesty' but if you don't make a distinction between 'stupidity' and 'dishonesty', you run the risk of confusing the vast majority of English language speakers who do make the distinction.

I don't think it is stupidity. I think deep down all theists know is bullshit. It explains why they don't care about defining God. It explains so much just stupidity can't

Back
Top Bottom