• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

When and how did 'modernization' start?

rousseau

Contributor
It seems like the normal conception is that modernity as we'd define it began in the last several hundred years, but on a grander scale 'homo sapiens' have been alive for 200 000 years, and as far as we know primitive civilizations date back about 7000 years. So you could say that Egypt, Mesopotamia, Greece were the foundation of an exponential increase, and the past few hundred years represent the portion of the graph with extremely rapid advance.

So I wonder if that's a correct assessment and I wonder what the exact factors were that led to the beginning of civilization.

It seems like the normal conception is that modernity as we'd define it began in the last several hundred years, but on a grander scale 'homo sapiens' have been alive for 200 000 years, and as far as we know primitive civilizations date back about 7000 years. So you could say that Egypt, Mesopotamia, Greece were the foundation of an exponential increase, and the past few hundred years represent the portion of the graph with extremely rapid advance.

So I wonder if that's a correct assessment and I wonder what the exact factors were that led to the beginning of civilization.

Until someone else produces a better idea, I think the definitive answer was given in Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond.

He says the essential ingredients for civilization are a climate and terrain which can produce a food surplus and contains metal bearing ores, an animal which can be domesticated to pull a plow or wagon. A draft animal allows one man to produce enough food to feed many, so the culture shifts from hunter gatherer to agriculture. This drives technology to build better plows and leads directly to hauling the harvested crops, which spurs the development of wheeled vehicles. Once the potential of wood has been exhausted, metallurgy is needed to go further.

These conditions occurred in two places, the Middle East and China. North and South America rival the Middle East and China in resources, but never had a suitable draft animal until Europeans arrived.

I would point to the Enlightenment, which was pretty much responsible for the industrial revolution, which shaped most of the world we live in today.

North and South America rival the Middle East and China in resources, but never had a suitable draft animal until Europeans arrived.
In the words of Gilbert & Sullivan,

What, never?

You've really got two questions here. I think "modernity" in the way you seem to men it begins pretty much with the Renaissance. That's when we learned to measure time with considerably more accuracy. That's when the Protestant Reformation began and that led to Biblical criticism which led to skepticism and the general decline of the Catholic Church and Greek philosophy as the governing world-view of Western culture, and finally, you have the steam engine and the use of fossil fuels to drive our economy and enormously enhance our productivity.

As to when, where, and why civilization began, I think that is very much a work in progress. Archeology and historians of ancient history are uncovering so much that we have to re-assess much of what we once thought was true. It looks like India may be the birth-place of civilization, but there seem to be other candidates. The are sunken cities at the bottom of the Mediterranean and the Black Seas which suggests that civilization may have preceded the end of the last Ice Age. Pyramids have been found in Peru that are as old as the ones in Egypt. I believe some people are even question whether or not agriculture was the impetus for civilization. There is some indication that humans may have been living in cities which arose based on trade and then agriculture came along to serve the urban markets.

Even the age of humanity is in question. DNA suggests man arose about 150,000 years ago in Africa, but there are fossil remains from throughout the world that are dated much, much older.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc is very likely when asking such questions.

In the words of Gilbert & Sullivan,

What, never?

If there was ever a suitable draft animal in the Americas, it was extinct before humans arrived. There were no North American horses or cattle. The American Bison is big enough and strong enough, but has never been domesticated. Even today, working with the herds which are raised for meat is a hazardous job. The South American lama can be used as a pack animal for light loads, but can't carry an adult human, and cannot be harnessed to pull a plow or wagon.

Modern History (wikipedia)

Modern

In contrast to the pre-modern era, Western civilization made a gradual transition from premodernity to modernity when scientific methods were developed which led many to believe that the use of science would lead to all knowledge, thus throwing back the shroud of myth under which pre-modern peoples lived. New information about the world was discovered via empirical observation,[13] versus the historic use of reason and innate knowledge.

The term "modern" was coined shortly before 1585 to describe the beginning of a new era.[4] The European Renaissance (about 1420–1630) is an important transition period beginning between the Late Middle Ages and Early Modern Times, which started in Italy.

The term "Early Modern" was introduced in the English language in the 1930s.[14] to distinguish the time between what we call Middle Ages and time of the late Enlightenment (1800) (when the meaning of the term Modern Ages was developing its contemporary form). It is important to note that these terms stem from European History. In usage in other parts of the world, such as in Asia, and in Muslim countries, the terms are applied in a very different way, but often in the context with their contact with European culture in the Age of Discoveries.[15]

If there was ever a suitable draft animal in the Americas, it was extinct before humans arrived. There were no North American horses ...

"The results of testing on three Clovis points at the Wally’s Beach site tested positive for animal protein residues during CIEP testing and beyond that, horse protein on two of the points."

(Source)

I think it is a basic orientation to the world. When someone goes into a cave and hears an echo, do they react - its gods, I must worship, or do they go hmm, let's bang something else.

"The results of testing on three Clovis points at the Wally’s Beach site tested positive for animal protein residues during CIEP testing and beyond that, horse protein on two of the points."

(Source)

Did they find saddle soap on any of them?

Until someone else produces a better idea, I think the definitive answer was given in Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond.

He says the essential ingredients for civilization are a climate and terrain which can produce a food surplus and contains metal bearing ores, an animal which can be domesticated to pull a plow or wagon. A draft animal allows one man to produce enough food to feed many, so the culture shifts from hunter gatherer to agriculture. This drives technology to build better plows and leads directly to hauling the harvested crops, which spurs the development of wheeled vehicles. Once the potential of wood has been exhausted, metallurgy is needed to go further.

These conditions occurred in two places, the Middle East and China. North and South America rival the Middle East and China in resources, but never had a suitable draft animal until Europeans arrived.
I would generally agree with Bronzeage and Diamond’s general points. Once people started putting down roots via grain farming, larger communities sprung up. That was the earlier stages of civilization. So one arrives at the earlier larger civilizations of Sumer, Egypt, and China that also figured out writing. Sumer might have been the first out of the writing gate, but that is only a guess and it was only by a little bit if so. After that the idea of writing spread along with grain farming. Sumerian archeology shows a steady progression from counting beads, to hash marks in clay, to the first stages of writing. My take is that writing emerged out of the business need of managing larger communities.

One of the oldest tablets, and shows allocation of beer from 3100-3000BC:
220px-Early_writing_tablet_recording_the_allocation_of_beer.jpg

I think the next major steps tie back more so to the advances in the ability to exchange information. The earliest writing methods were difficult. Clay really is a sucky writing pad, and the Cuneiform script was painful to get to know. The later introduction of an alphabet helped in the ME and Europe, along with the Egyptian invention of papyrus circa 2500BC, which improved upon clay. Parchment (animal skin) slowly seemed to become a better replacement for papryus. The Phoenician alphabet is the oldest verified consonantal alphabet from around 1800BC, which slowly spread outward to other cultures.

I assume that parchment became relatively common in Greece by the second century BC, but I’m not too familiar with its history (so I’m assuming Wiki isn’t far off).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parchment#History
Herodotus mentions writing on skins as common in his time, the 5th century BCE; and in his Histories (v.58) he states that the Ionians of Asia Minor had been accustomed to give the name of skins (diphtherai) to books; this word was adapted by Hellenized Jews to describe scrolls.[5] Parchment, however, derives its name from Pergamon, the city where it was perfected (via the Latin pergamenum and the French parchemin). In the 2nd century BCE a great library was set up in Pergamon that rivaled the famous Library of Alexandria. As prices rose for papyrus and the reed used for making it was over-harvested towards local extinction in the two nomes of the Nile delta that produced it, Pergamon adapted by increasing use of parchment.

Ironically, the Chinese developed paper and the printing press centuries before Europe ever got it. Anyway, as the subject is more on modernity and probably from a western perspective…paper technology arrived in Europe in the 13th century and the printing press in around 1450. I don’t think it is completely coincidental that the renaissance spread during the same period where paper and the printing press usage was exploding. A few centuries later we got the industrial revolution with advances in manufacturing with steam power. Along came electricity, the telegraph, and railroads in the middle 19th century. The transistor was developed in 1948, and the integrated circuit in 1952, which are the foundation of modern electronics. And in the 1950’s, the information age was being gestated with the first practical and commercially available computers. And finally in the 1990’s the Internet started becoming part of many people’s lives.

Except

Incan civilization was a technological marvel. When the Spanish conquistadors arrived in 1532, they found an empire that spanned nearly 3,000 miles, from present-day Ecuador to Chile, all served by a high-altitude road system that included 200-foot suspension bridges built of woven reeds. It was the Inca who constructed Machu Picchu, a cloud city terraced into a precarious stretch of earth hanging between two Andean peaks. They even put together a kind of Bronze Age Internet, a system of messenger posts along the major roads. In one day, Incan runners amped on coca leaves could relay news some 150 miles down the network.

Yet, if centuries of scholarship are to be believed, the Inca, whose rule began 2,000 years after Homer, never figured out how to write. It's an enigma known as the Inca paradox, and for nearly 500 years it has stood as one of the great historical puzzles of the Americas. But now a Harvard anthropologist named Gary Urton may be close to untangling the mystery.

His quest revolves around strange, once-colorful bundles of knotted strings called khipu (pronounced KEY-poo). The Spanish invaders noticed the khipu soon after arriving but never understood their significance – or how they worked.

Once, at the beginning of the 17th century, a group of Spaniards traveling in the central Peruvian highlands east of modern-day Lima encountered an old Indian carrying khipu that he insisted held a record of "all [the Spanish] had done, both the good and the bad." Angered, the Spanish burned the man's khipu, as they did countless others over the years.

Some of the knots did survive, though, and for centuries people wondered if the old man had been speaking the truth. Then, in 1923, an anthropologist named Leland Locke provided an answer: The khipu were files. Each knot represented a different number, arranged in a decimal system, and each bundle likely held census data or summarized the contents of storehouses. Roughly a third of the existing khipu don't follow the rules Locke identified, but he speculated that these "anomalous" khipu served some ceremonial or other function. The mystery was considered more or less solved.

Then, in the early 1990s, Urton, one of the world's leading Inca scholars, spotted several details that convinced him the khipu contained much more than tallies of llama sales. For example, some knots are tied right over left, others left over right. Urton came to think that this information must signal something. Could the knotted strings also be a form of writing? In 2003, Urton wrote a book outlining his theory, and in 2005 he published a paper in Science that showed how even khipu that follow Locke's rules could include place-names as well as numbers.

http://archive.wired.com/wired/archive/15.01/khipu.html

My point is that I think modernism and agriculture are not related. I would argue that a crow experimenting with a twig is being modern

Except

My point is that I think modernism and agriculture are not related. I would argue that a crow experimenting with a twig is being modern

Has there ever been a civilization which did not have agriculture in some form?

Civilization

Modernization

I agree growing crops, particularly crops for beer was the beginning of civilization. I wonder if history will view the semiconductor as the birth of modernization or the modern society? Has anything even come close with regards to it's rapid advancement and impact on the world?

Learning how to draw and insulate copper wire. That makes modern technology possible. Telegraphs, phone systems, electric motors and generators, transformers, electrical devices such as coils that allow internal combustion engines to work and more. Electrical distribution systems. The humble copper wire is a mark of modern society. Surely as important as invention of paper.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00033790110117476#preview

The Early History of Insulated Copper Wire

I read a comment that reading and writing are actually everywhere - it is our definitions of symbol manipulation that are problematic. It ignores the incredible skills of for example the polynesian reading the stars, the waves, the currents, what birds and fish are doing.

And what is agriculture? I thought the earliest towns in Turkey are before "agriculture"

I thought what happened was that people were gathering for possibly ceremonial reasons and had food supplies with them, some of which got dropped near where they were also doing number ones and twos. Priests observed this and experimented - and we have agriculture.

I read a comment that reading and writing are actually everywhere - it is our definitions of symbol manipulation that are problematic. It ignores the incredible skills of for example the polynesian reading the stars, the waves, the currents, what birds and fish are doing.

And what is agriculture? I thought the earliest towns in Turkey are before "agriculture"

I thought what happened was that people were gathering for possibly ceremonial reasons and had food supplies with them, some of which got dropped near where they were also doing number ones and twos. Priests observed this and experimented - and we have agriculture.
I don’t think the point of agriculture emerging along with larger communities, is an argument that there weren’t small settlements prior to intentional planting and maintaining of growing fields. None of this is an exact science, and most of what is being described is also about generalized patterns. Either way, one has to go back 12,000 years into the fog of archeology to start figuring out if temple priests helped farming along...

Intentional planting and harvesting started just after 10,000BC.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_agriculture
It was not until after 9500 BCE that the eight so-called founder crops of agriculture appear: first emmer and einkorn wheat, then hulled barley, peas, lentils, bitter vetch, chick peas and flax. These eight crops occur more or less simultaneously on PPNB sites in the Levant, although the consensus is that wheat was the first to be grown and harvested on a significant scale.

At around the same time (9400 BCE), another study argues, parthenocarpic fig trees appear to have been domesticated.[15] The simplicity associated with cutting branches off fig trees and replanting them alongside wild cereals owes to the basis of this argument.

From what I’ve seen this is one of the oldest settlements, from 18,000BCE in present day Jordan (the links within the link go into great detail):
http://www.sci-news.com/archaeology/article00189.html
So far, the archaeologists have fully excavated two huts, but there may be several more hidden beneath the desert’s sands.
“They’re not large by any means. They measure about 2–3 m in maximum length and were dug into the ground.
But these hardly appear to be more than a small band of peoples, and certainly nothing like a small city state.

Gobekli Tepe is about the only site of significance that I am aware of that clearly predates agriculture. Oddly, they so far haven’t found signs of residential use with the large temple like structures.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Göbekli_Tepe
All statements about the site must be considered preliminary, as less than 5% of the site has been excavated, and Schmidt plans to leave much of it untouched to be explored by future generations (when archaeological techniques will presumably have improved).[7] While the site formally belongs to the earliest Neolithic (PPNA), up to now no traces of domesticated plants or animals have been found. The inhabitants are assumed to have been hunters and gatherers who nevertheless lived in villages for at least part of the year.[29] So far, very little evidence for residential use has been found. Through the radiocarbon method, the end of Layer III can be fixed at about 9000 BCE (see above) but it is believed that the elevated location may have functioned as a spiritual center about 11,000 BCE or even earlier.

The surviving structures, then, not only predate pottery, metallurgy, and the invention of writing or the wheel, they were built before the so-called Neolithic Revolution, i.e., the beginning of agriculture and animal husbandry around 9000 BCE. But the construction of Göbekli Tepe implies organization of an advanced order not hitherto associated with Paleolithic, PPNA, or PPNB societies. Archaeologists estimate that up to 500 persons were required to extract the heavy pillars from local quarries and move them 100–500 meters (330–1,640 ft) to the site.

Jericho is one of the oldest “towns” with good archeology, and it seems that agriculture and the larger Jericho emerged in a similar timeframe. I have not seen any suggestion of large scale permanent settlements prior to 10,000BCE.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jericho#Natufian_Hunter-Gatherers_c._10.2C000_BC
As the world warmed, a new culture based on agriculture and sedentary dwelling emerged, which archaeologists have termed "Pre-Pottery Neolithic A" (abbreviated as PPNA). PPNA villages are characterized by small circular dwellings, burials of the dead within the floors of buildings, reliance on hunting wild game, the cultivation of wild or domestic cereals, and no use of pottery.<snip>By about 9400 BC the town had grown to more than 70 modest dwellings.

By the time we get to the early stages of writing in Sumer around 3200BCE, we humans had a few thousand years of intentional farming and growing towns and city states.

Arguably agriculture started in the Americas

The domestication of maize is of particular interest to researchers — archaeologists, geneticists, ethnobotanists, geographers, etc. The process is thought by some to have started 7,500 to 12,000 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I propose two million years, with fire and cooking.

Back
Top Bottom