• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Where does political correctness go wrong

Regardless of the race of the woman, why is a naked woman on the cover of a logic textbook??

That's one of the first things that came to my mind too. It's not wrong of course. But I find it very odd.

It would seem to be there purely as an eye-catcher. An exploitation of the female form to sell more products, as is common in advertising.

Regardless of the race of the woman, why is a naked woman on the cover of a logic textbook??

That's one of the first things that came to my mind too. It's not wrong of course. But I find it very odd.

It would seem to be there purely as an eye-catcher. An exploitation of the female form to sell more products, as is common in advertising.

It does look like an eye-catcher, but I do not agree that a form - rather than a person - can be exploited in the negative sense of the term 'exploit'.

I highly doubt that thought crossed his mind. His mind just doesn't think like that. I remember when he asked me what luxury watch he should buy. I told him Rolex. He gave me a long ranty spiel about how it's really a massproduced shit watch. I told him that Rolex impresses ladies more. Is his goal to impress middle-aged bitter old men with their heads up their asses or hot young women. He accepted my logic and bought a Rolex. And ugly limitted edition Rolex with unique features. Yeah... his brain is special.

For an academic logic textbook?

Its also a book only bought by students when it's compulsory reading material for the course. It is true that is selected by the lecturers who teach. But I think they're professional enough to focus on the content. But nobody off the street will buy it

I think it's fair to say that the cover is irrelevant. He did say that the cover they have now was just something they did just to have a cover. I strongly suspect it was his wife's idea, and he didn't have any opinion. And that he just went along with it.

I highly doubt that thought crossed his mind. His mind just doesn't think like that. I remember when he asked me what luxury watch he should buy. I told him Rolex. He gave me a long ranty spiel about how it's really a massproduced shit watch. I told him that Rolex impresses ladies more. Is his goal to impress middle-aged bitter old men with their heads up their asses or hot young women. He accepted my logic and bought a Rolex. And ugly limitted edition Rolex with unique features. Yeah... his brain is special.

Shit, maybe I am on the spectrum after all, because from my perspective, buying an ugly overpriced watch you don't like is a bitch move. :D

Shit, maybe I am on the spectrum after all, because from my perspective, buying an ugly overpriced watch you don't like is a bitch move. :D

He is rich though. While being a simple man with simple needs. All he really needs in life is a couch to lie on and books to read. He doesn't care about fine dining or luxury. No expensive hobbies. So he can blow big money on utter bullshit he doesn't need, because, why not.

He doesn't wear the Rolex to work or when he's around fancy people. He's got some thing about Seiko being the world's best watches. So that's what he wears most of the time. The Rolex is just when he's out with the lads. I think he likes that it is grotesque in every way. He has no respect for Rolexes and I know he has no respect for people who wear Rolexes, (because he's told me) which just makes it all the more fun when he wears it. He can laugh at himself. He's quite a hoot.

Is there a better reason?

I guess someone has to explain how a naked woman’s back implies “logic is free from morality and politics”. Why not just the letters themselves? Why not a naked man’s back?

Someone made a conscious decision to have that on the cover and do a photo shoot where they asked a woman to get naked.

Its also a book only bought by students when it's compulsory reading material for the course. It is true that is selected by the lecturers who teach. But I think they're professional enough to focus on the content. But nobody off the street will buy it

I think it's fair to say that the cover is irrelevant. He did say that the cover they have now was just something they did just to have a cover. I strongly suspect it was his wife's idea, and he didn't have any opinion. And that he just went along with it.

You mean the cover with her was her idea, or the new cover just to have a cover?

Seems like a shrewd choice -- that cover makes it feasible for a student to read a textbook on logic in full public view without being instantly pegged as a royal geek.

You mean the cover with her was her idea, or the new cover just to have a cover?

I was just guessing. I don't know how the idea for that cover came about. All I know is that it was a spur of the moment thing. It was something they did in an afternoon with the people who was staying with him that day. I'm sure they'd come up with something better if they'd put some thought into it, or hired a proffessional.

Links to the controversy?

It's only within the university. It has not made it's way to media, or the Internet. I brought it up because it's interesting to discuss. Not because of it's news value or impact.

But I'm I'm sure the gender studies department are foaming at the mouth. Granted, only an assumption. They tend to foam easily.

It's only within the university. It has not made it's way to media, or the Internet. I brought it up because it's interesting to discuss. Not because of it's news value or impact.

But I'm I'm sure the gender studies department are foaming at the mouth. Granted, only an assumption. They tend to foam easily.

With all due respect, your making too many assumptions is one of the weak spots in many of your posts/threads

In the OP you said it was coming from some teachers in Sweden, because the book was a standard text in Swedish universities.

In the OP you said it was coming from some teachers in Sweden, because the book was a standard text in Swedish universities.

Yes. Teachers at the university. It started with one logic teacher (called a lecturer at her position) and then spread to other lecturers. But since the author of the book backed down immediately and gave the protesters what they wanted, it never blew up. But when I posted the OP he hadn't yet responded and there was no way I could know whether it would become a big thing or not.

edit: It could easily have blown up. The social justice warriors are today just a lynchmob constantly looking for new slightly less then perfect woke people that they can rip apart. He could have been the next victim of that mob.

Yes. Teachers at the university. It started with one logic teacher (called a lecturer at her position) and then spread to other lecturers. But since the author of the book backed down immediately and gave the protesters what they wanted, it never blew up. But when I posted the OP he hadn't yet responded and there was no way I could know whether it would become a big thing or not.

edit: It could easily have blown up. The social justice warriors are today just a lynchmob constantly looking for new slightly less then perfect woke people that they can rip apart. He could have been the next victim of that mob.

Let's stick with reality, shall we?

Let's stick with reality, shall we?

I don't understand what you are commenting on?

Last weekend in Malmö (Sweden) there was a riot after a group of (let's call them nationalists) decided to burn some Korans on a public space. A Danish politician was stopped on the border and banned from entering Sweden for two years because of "incitement to violence". The violence was only on the part of the people against the Koran burning. The Swedish society all came in defence of the rioters, and the Koran burning was condemned by anybody in power. It's now going to court as an act of terrorism and as a racist attack on an ethnic group.

That is nuts. The whole point of this Koran burning was to demonstrate what happens when Korans are burned. It got the expected result. Instead of seeing this as an attack on free speech and an attempt to sneak in anti-blasphemy laws, the Swedish society completely failed to connect the dots.

It's got to be ok to burn a Koran. As long as it's a Koran they bought with their own money.

Why am I bringing this up in this thread? Because these two things are connected. The Woke world has become violent and dangerous. It's now openly anti-democratic and anti-enlightenment. The discussion on the logic book is interesting, because IMHO it was a situation where the Woke side actually had a point. But that doesn't make the Woke-movement any less dangerous and a threat to modern secular values.

Back
Top Bottom