• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Where will Trump take the US Economy?

Jolly_Penguin

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
Skeptic
I have heard a bunch of people saying that the one good thing about Trump is that the stock market is booming. Is it? I don't follow the US stock market. A lot of Trump voters voted for him because he's a "business man" and they think he will do great things for the economy. Do you think that his presidency will pump up the US economy or collapse it? Will he start a trade war? Social issues (of which there are so many) with him aside, how will he do on the economy?

He's a horrible businessman. The stock market is not the economy. All his policies are aimed at the wealthy and temporary shareholder value. This bubble will burst and we are doomed.

ap-how-donald-trump-with-pizazz-and-bluster-took-on-the-nfl.jpg

Yes it was the asshole Trump that destroyed the USFL.

Not an exaggeration. ESPN made a documentary showing the evidence.

His insistence to move to the Fall killed the league.

Where will he decide to move the US?

I think that his economic policies will further the divide between the rich and the poor and leave the average person far worse off than they are today. When Republicans are in charge of the economy, there tend to be major crashes, so there'll probably be a major crash. His focus on protectionism isn't a focus on the things which are causing the US worker to lose jobs, so there will be a decline in middle class incomes and the country will lose a few years in starting to do things which might actually help.

All of this will, of course, be the fault of the democrats and their pals in the leftwing fake news.

This depends upon whether he ever actually does any of the things he says he's going to do. There are a few scenarios which could play out.

A trade war with Mexico will mean Mexico buys corn from Brazil instead of US farmers. The price of US corn will crash, kicking in farm price supports, which will drive up the deficit.

An import tariff in Chinese goods will raise the price of Walmart goods by 20 to 40 percent and force the Waltons to close all marginal stores. No one knows how many this will be, but look for at least 20% reduction.

Boeing will scramble to get an exemption for Dreamliner components which are outsourced to Japan and Europe, but if not, the Dreamliner will never see a runway and Airbus will rule the 21st century skies.

The increase in military spending and the reduction in tax revenues will require a big increase in the national debt. This will soak up most investment funds in the world and uncertainty about the future will drive up interest rates. Home mortgage loans will be first to feel the effects and home sales will be lower than after the 2008 crash. Large banks will be saddled with properties that can't be liquidated and once again find themselves in a "too big to fail" crisis.

If anything good does come out of this, it will be the final nail in the coffin of trickle down economics and the idea that the economy can be revved up by cutting taxes for the wealthy.

If anything good does come out of this, it will be the final nail in the coffin of trickle down economics and the idea that the economy can be revved up by cutting taxes for the wealthy.

Yes, because if there's one trait which defines the American people, it's the ability to learn from their mistakes and not continuously repeat the same disastrous policies again and again and again regardless of how much evidence they're continuously presented showing them why it would be a dumbassed mistake to do the exact same thing over and over again while expecting different results.

Trump will be Reagan on steroids.

Tax cuts cuts cuts for the rich.

Less and less for the middle class. Cuts in Social Services.

Huge deficits with increases in military spending.

In other words a huge party for his friends now, paid for by future generations.

Small time investors are propping up this market. Institutional investors and managed funds are backing away somewhat. This is dumb money swallowing Donald's sputum.
Already overbought markets moved higher on Donald's speech. Why? It was the same, we're gonna spend, spend, spend, and it's not going to hurt a bit. Dumb money listens.

Yes, because if there's one trait which defines the American people, it's the ability to learn from their mistakes and not continuously repeat the same disastrous policies again and again and again ...

Amen brother. Before we got so wise, we like to continuously repeat the same disastrous policies again and again and again and again. Thank God we're learning!.

I have heard a bunch of people saying that the one good thing about Trump is that the stock market is booming. Is it? I don't follow the US stock market. A lot of Trump voters voted for him because he's a "business man" and they think he will do great things for the economy. Do you think that his presidency will pump up the US economy or collapse it? Will he start a trade war? Social issues (of which there are so many) with him aside, how will he do on the economy?

Admit it! You don't know, but I bet you have a suspicion that it is not a very good place. I suggest you ask Trump's puppet master:
angry guy.jpg

I have heard a bunch of people saying that the one good thing about Trump is that the stock market is booming. Is it? I don't follow the US stock market.
Yes, many of the indices are up 15-20% in the last 4 months. Though consider that from roughly Oct 2011 the indices went on a similar tear for 4 months. And no Trump.... The one thing that is more unusual about this surge is that it didn't really come off of a correction. On the other hand we have already had an 8 year bull market in the US; unemployment has probably bottomed and rarely stays bottomed for more than 2 years before rising. PE ratios are getting lofty...

A lot of Trump voters voted for him because he's a "business man" and they think he will do great things for the economy. Do you think that his presidency will pump up the US economy or collapse it?
As we are still dealing with vaperware, it is hard to claim anything. The repugs have never liked infrastructure spending for one thing. The other thing is that they at least used to have a fetish about the infamous debt ceiling. They get to dance with that in 2 weeks. How they deal with that will be telling.

Will he start a trade war?
Throw some dice...

Social issues (of which there are so many) with him aside, how will he do on the economy?
So far he's all talk and Tweet. He hasn't appeared to even have gotten on the same page with Repug leaders on 'dismantling Obamacare'. So far he is moving very slowly out of the Presidential gate...

Speaking of TV and credit cards...
http://www.financialsense.com/valuewalk/investors-dumping-stocks
Bank of America’s private clients are also net sellers on a four-week basis after recording the most substantial net buys during January than at any other time since the beginning of 2008 (private investors have been the most aggressive buyers in the past few months).

Some of his rhetoric is populist, like drug prices and social security/Medicare. But most of his solutions are top down, and will contract the economy. Recession, probably.

OTOH, he's yet to show any signs of accomplishing anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's a horrible businessman. The stock market is not the economy. All his policies are aimed at the wealthy and temporary shareholder value. This bubble will burst and we are doomed.

ap-how-donald-trump-with-pizazz-and-bluster-took-on-the-nfl.jpg
Never heard of USFL.
In 1985, the USFL voted to move from a spring to a fall schedule in 1986 to compete directly with the NFL. This was done at the urging of New Jersey Generals majority owner Donald Trump and a handful of other owners as a way to force a merger between the leagues. As part of this strategy, the USFL filed an anti-trust lawsuit against the National Football League in 1986, and a jury ruled that the NFL had violated anti-monopoly laws. However, in a victory in name only, the USFL was awarded a judgment of just $1, which under anti-trust laws, was tripled to $3.[2] This court decision effectively ended the USFL. The league never played the 1986 season, and by the time it folded, it had lost over US$163 million
looks like one of Trump's "get rich quick" schemes which failed.

Do you think Trump wants to merge US with Russia?

Keep Crimea. I want Siberia instead. There are a lot of people who piss me off and I want somewhere to send them.

Canada is mostly Siberia too.

But we have Tim Hortons. Banishing a Canadian to a Timmies-less environment is like sending a Frenchman to a place without cheese or sending a Russian to a place where they need to think for themselves instead of just following Kremlin directives.

It's a fate worse than death.

Canada is mostly Siberia too.

But we have Tim Hortons. Banishing a Canadian to a Timmies-less environment is like sending a Frenchman to a place without cheese or sending a Russian to a place where they need to think for themselves instead of just following Kremlin directives.

You can send me to Canada/US just fine.

You can send me to Canada/US just fine.

Shouldn't you have already been brought to Washington and been given high level security clearance? What's taking so long? Did you go to a beach and get a tan so there's some concern that you might not be pure Aryan?

Back
Top Bottom