• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Cult of Chucky

I actually took off work due to exhaustion and just wanted some mildly amusing flick to doze off to mid-day while on the couch. This seemed to be a good pick. After about 10-15 minutes, I began to fall asleep. It was so nice. Suddenly, I was jarred awake by my daughter, whose late afternoon class was cancelled, which she was very excited to tell me about. So I ended up trying to fall back asleep, but couldn't, which meant that I ended up watching most of this this fucking movie.

It sucked.

That's the entire review.

2/10

Splice

A horror/sci fi movie from the Dark Castle company but it's not based on a Henry Castle story.

A pair of genetic researchers who also are in a romantic relationship toss ethics aside and create a new creature. The questions of ethics, morals, corporate greed, and even abortion become apparent as the creature grows and becomes more ingrained into their hearts, and more dangerous.

A truly creepy and outright scary film which my wife watched with her eyes half covered by her afghan. Nominated for the Saturn film award in 2010 which was won by Inception.

I had never heard of this one before I saw the promo on Cinemax for their Thursday night thriller. Well worth the watching.

It was also fun watching my wife get the crap scared out of her.

No Light And No Land Anywhere

FacebookPost_simple_vqtmia.jpg

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4310688/?ref_=nv_sr_1

10/10 imo.

Moving, unadorned and honest. A compelling lead performance by Kelly Brockis as a woman in search of the dad who left the family home when she was a little girl.

Written and directed by Amber Sealy and produced by Miranda July, whose works I greatly admire.

Also nice and short. 72 mins running time.

Avengers - Infinity War - Watched it for the second time just recently. The suspense in the film was largely gone, which I think harms the film quite a lot, as the suspense is what put so much weight on the viewer by the end of the roller coaster ride of 2.5 hours. The craft of the film is still very good and the pacing was still intense. There is very little breathing space in this movie, but it amazingly remains completely coherent (one major reason it needs an Oscar nod). I'll need to rewatch Black Panther to see how much it stands up to decide which one should win the Oscar for Best Picture.

4 of 4

Battle of the Sexes

It's about the the tennis match between Billy Jean King and Bobby Riggs in 1973 to see if women could compete against men. It was really more of a curiosity though, being that King was in her prime and Riggs was 55, and in it for the money and notoriety more than anything else.

It's a good and interesting movie that has all the elements present for a great film, but much of it seems to be missing that certain something that truly excellent films have. I'm certainly not an expert movie reviewer, so it's difficult for me to articulate just why this film falls flat. But I do know that it could've been better.

Still though, it's a good movie.

7/10.

Oh, I also watched Rob Zombie's remake of Halloween 2.

I read all the reviews and still thought, I need to see this for myself.

The reviews don't begin to describe how monumentally awful this movie is.

If you're thinking about seeing it, just don't.

1.5/10

Rob Zombie gets a lot of his influence from the crappy horror movies of the late 60's/early 70's so it's no wonder his movies end up being pretty crappy too. I guess some people like that stuff.

Runaway Jury for the umpteenth time. Gene Hackman is as always at his best. I rate this movie 4/5.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Battle of the Sexes

It's about the the tennis match between Billy Jean King and Bobby Riggs in 1973 to see if women could compete against men. It was really more of a curiosity though, being that King was in her prime and Riggs was 55, and in it for the money and notoriety more than anything else.

Clearly Riggs was in it for the money and notoriety, having been a hustler since his teen years. But it stopped being a curiosity when he crushed Margaret Court, then ranked #1 in the world, by scores of 6-1, 6-2. Riggs had been ranked #1 among men several times in the 30's and 40's, despite his size (5 foot 7) and lack of power, and he maintained his skills as he aged. King was under immense pressure to prove the legitimacy of women's tennis.

I enjoyed the movie. I think it captured the atmosphere around the match fairly well (yes, I watched it way back in 1973).

Annihilation - Pretty good sci-fi movie. Neither my daughter or I liked the ending. Great look to the film. Good suspense. 7/10

Rob Zombie gets a lot of his influence from the crappy horror movies of the late 60's/early 70's so it's no wonder his movies end up being pretty crappy too. I guess some people like that stuff.

I really liked House of 1000 Corpses. Being that it was his first film, it was imperfect, but it was a promising start. He has, or at least had an eye for sleaze, the bizarre, and blending it with realism, which was also pretty well done in his remake of the original Halloween. However, his Halloween 2 remake is easily the worst thing he's done and he's made some stinkers. The only reason to ever see it is if the Rifftrax guys manage to get ahold of it.

Battle of the Sexes

Clearly Riggs was in it for the money and notoriety, having been a hustler since his teen years. But it stopped being a curiosity when he crushed Margaret Court, then ranked #1 in the world, by scores of 6-1, 6-2. Riggs had been ranked #1 among men several times in the 30's and 40's, despite his size (5 foot 7) and lack of power, and he maintained his skills as he aged. King was under immense pressure to prove the legitimacy of women's tennis.

I enjoyed the movie. I think it captured the atmosphere around the match fairly well (yes, I watched it way back in 1973).

I thought it was a good movie too, but I think it failed to capture the pressure that King was under as well as it could have. It did to a certain degree, but like the rest of the movie, it just kind of fell short in ways that could have made it great.

I recently saw Borg v. McEnroe, and that was a borderline great movie--just a little bit better done than Battle of the Sexes. You really got a feel/insight into the immense pressure that Borg and McEnroe both experienced and put themselves under. I think the character study aspect was superior. In Battle of the Sexes, I didn't feel like I got to know Billy Jean King as thoroughly as I would've liked.

Either way, both movies are certainly worth seeing.

Blasphemy. They weren't crappy. It's the type of films I mostly watch. They're amazing. Great intellectual depth to them. Mostly missing from current "jump scare" horror movies.

Intolerable Cruelty. Worth watching just to gawk at the beautiful Catherine Zeta Jones. [ At least she was in 2003 when this tale of a scheming gold digger was made.]

Blasphemy. They weren't crappy. It's the type of films I mostly watch. They're amazing. Great intellectual depth to them. Mostly missing from current "jump scare" horror movies.

Yeah. Those were the days of gritty realism in horror that has rarely been recaptured since (e.g. Last House on the Left, I Spit on Your Grave, etc.). They were low budget, but many had a kind of documentary feel to them, as if you were watching real events that had been captured on film; or that you were there as a witness to.

Yeah, they rank right up there with Sophie's Choice. :rolleyes:

Yeah, they rank right up there with Sophie's Choice. :rolleyes:

You can't compare genres like that. E.g., Python's Holy Grail is never compared to The Godfather.

If you don't like the horror genre, that's one thing. But what can't be denied are the messages that certain classic horror films have delivered to large audiences in subtle and effective ways.

Back
Top Bottom