• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Is it just me, or is Morgan Freeman in something of a rut with respect to the characters he's playing?
i think it's much more that morgan freeman who one of those "actors" who never actually acts - like harrison ford, malcolm macdowell, seth rogan, tom cruise, and many others - they never "act" in the movies they're in, they just show up and read lines.

now, if the part is written for them well, it works out OK because if you write a character to be morgan freeman within the context of your movie and then have the part played by morgan freeman, well that character is gonna be perfect.
but when the part isn't written for that person, it just comes off and weird and wrong.

Where Eagles Dare

7/10

One of a particular subset of World War 2 movies which were in vogue in the 1960s and 1970s--films not really trying to depict the war realistically, just to provide exciting entertainment, generally by telling the story of some daring mission. Very occasionally, films like this were based on real events (e.g., The Great Escape), but more often they would come from sources like the fiction of Alistair MacLean, who wrote both the source novel and the screenplay. Richard Burton, not usually an action hero, and the then up-and-coming Clint Eastwood, are quite good as the leader of the daring mission and his right-hand man, respectively. The action, while not always believable, is generally quite exciting; the great Yakima Canutt was the second unit director. Bombastic, but entertaining nonetheless.

Deliver Us From Evil

I'm fresh from the theater after seeing this one.

Holy shit, what a bad movie. If you haven't had your fill of cop movie cliches over say, the past decade, then go ahead and see this movie. If you haven't had your fill of marital problem cliches, see this movie. If you haven't had your share of, "God, that's just lame," then this is a must see.

It's not scary, it's not disturbing, it just blows.

However, it does have one huge saving grace: it's fucking hilarious. Not intentionally though. I was having one of the most tedious movie-going experiences since I saw Clifford the Big Red Dog when my youngest daughter was four years old. But then it happened:

Cat Jesus. I don't want to say anymore than that; you can make your own jokes if you see it.

I'm not one of those people who make noise in a movie theater. I don't even bring my cellphone into the building, but my daughter had to shush me because I was laughing so hard.

Anyway, if you want to see a good horror movie, this ain't a movie you want to see. But if you're prepared to look for and make jokes from nearly start to finish, it's awesome.

1/10 on one hand and 9/10 on the other.

The Matchmaker - This is the original Hello Dolly. It is Hello Dolly without the music and Mathau trying to sing (as natural a singer as Marlon Brando) and you don't have to feel weird with the egotistic ass that is Michael Crawford on screen. Don't get me wrong, Mathau is perfect for the role he plays, he just shouldn't be singing. It is a pretty good movie, though the plot is a bit thin. Boy finds girl, lies his ass off to the girl, boy gets girl despite being such a liar, boss turns into a nice guy. Anthony Perkins, Shirley Maclaine, Hazel star in the original Hollywood remake of the stage play, before it got Wall-E'd into a musical.

I'd say the one thing about the movie that it definitely beats out the musical is that Shirley Booth is a tad more realistic romantic find for the store owner than say Barbara Streisand. 3 of 4

The Big Fix a documentary about Louisiana and the gulf oil rig disaster. Very well made, with excellent background information (informative, not yawn-inducing) and brief interviews. If you want to see a horror movie --- 9/10 (sound track was only okay - except at the ending, which was perfect).

X-Men: Days of Future Past

I haven't seen the Wolverine movies, and I've never read the comics, so I don't know how "canon" it is, but overall a good show. Nice way to wrap up the franchise in a bow and stop making X-Men movies, but I got a feeling that's not gonna happen.

Disappointed by Peter Dinklage, though. He's supposed to be the bad guy, but frankly his character in "Elf" was more intimidating.

7/10

Eyes Wide Shut. Starring a younger Sharon Stone and the lesser known, and worst actor Alex Baldwin brothers. As a thriller it's quite good actually, and of course the sexy Stone is always worth a look at. :p

7/10

Last edited:
I think you meant Sliver

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes! See what a lack of sleep does! Sliver with the shithousen Nicole Kidman and the world's most famous moron Tom Cruise.

yeah. Ha ha. Wondered what movie he was talking about. Eyes Wide Shut it was not. An excellent film that showed that Tom Cruise could actually act.

I haven't seen the Wolverine movies, and I've never read the comics, so I don't know how "canon" it is, but overall a good show. Nice way to wrap up the franchise in a bow and stop making X-Men movies, but I got a feeling that's not gonna happen.

Disappointed by Peter Dinklage, though. He's supposed to be the bad guy, but frankly his character in "Elf" was more intimidating.

7/10

It seemed they wanted sympahty for Dinklage's character.

7/10

The movies are not consistent with the comic books, though the overall 'spirit' is pretty close. It would seem that with so many characters requiring screen time, Dinklage's character really didn't get the fleshing-out that it really needed. Which is too bad, because he's such a good actor that he could have pulled off anything they could have done.

Norbit Starring Eddie Murphy in both roles as the fat wife and the dorky Norbit. Bought the DVD from a supermarket for $5 AU. I also like Cuba Gooding although he has a minor role in this romp. Surely merits 6.5/10

Forrest Gump - meh/10

People assured me there would be wisdom from Forrest. I didn't see much wisdom. I thought the Lennon scene was funny.

And that is the extent of my critical analysis.

Forrest Gump - meh/10

People assured me there would be wisdom from Forrest. I didn't see much wisdom. I thought the Lennon scene was funny.
I thought it was awful!

Forrest Gump: Hello.
Chapman: Hi.
Forrest Gump: I'm Forrest.
Chapman: I'm Mark Chapman. I'm going to kill Lennon.
Forrest Gump: Why?
Chapman: 'cause. *walks off, drops gun by accident without noticing*
Forrest Gump: You dropped your gun Mr. Chapman.

:eek:

LUCY by Luc Besson...Haven't seen the movie yet (not out yet) but the trailer looks good...

Gah, I am really tried of the very incorrect "We only use 10% of our brain" trope being used over and over again. Besson lost me when he made Lockout with Guy Pierce. That is a woeful piece of shite, and as anohter poster mentioned he does not seem to be on his game at the moment. This could be interesting but I'm a bit alienated by the premise, basically Limitless with Scarlett and superpowers - just don't ask why no-one else has the same suite of abilities.....

Tension

6/10

A decent but unremarkable film noir from about 1950. The story is pretty bland and the filmmakers took the easy way out when it came to resolving difficulties for the characters. The characters themselves are all classic noir types, but the cast portraying them is very solid: Audrey Totter (the femme fatale), Richard Basehart (the sap), Cyd Charisse (the nice girl), and Barry Sullivan (the implacably righteous cop).

Young Adult 2011, starring the extremely delicious Charlize Theron and Patrick Wilson. A divorced writer [Theron] returns to her home town and attempts to reunite with her old now married childhood bo. How anyone could refuse such an offer is way beyond me. :eek::p:redface:

6/10

That movie reminds me of Romancing The Stone with the then delicious Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas plus Danny DeVito as a bad guy.

A great adventure comedy romp. A little long in the tooth but still a lot better than many of the movies been released today.
9/10

That was my choice tonight and I agree with the rating. Robert Zemeckis would never make a list of great directors, but he often turned out excellent entertainment that holds up pretty well over time. Douglas and Turner rode their terrific chemistry here to major stardom, DeVito is great comic relief, and Alfonso Arau has a terrific cameo.

There's one somber note attached to this one. Diane Thomas, the first-time screenwriter who did an excellent job, became one of the saddest "might have beens" in film history. She died in a car crash a little over a year after the film came out, so we never got to see what else she might have done.

Suddenly

7/10

A nice, small-scale thriller about a big scale subject--a plot to kill the President of the US. This one is austere and tightly-paced--all the classic B-movie virtues are present and accounted for. Frank Sinatra and Sterling Hayden lend a touch of A-list star power to their lead performances, one the leader of the assassins, the other the stalwart small-town sheriff of Suddenly, CA, where the film is set.

Back
Top Bottom