• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

The Eternals - Man, this movie is taking a lot of shit from reviewers (even Manohla Dargis who used to be one of my go to reviewers). Personally, I thought it was great. Somewhat of a remaster of The Watchman movie, as far as the ultimate issue of greater loss or greater good, but it was a in-depth film that wasn't an origins story. Again, that film too wasn't exactly blow stuff up every five seconds. This felt much different than the average comic book film. The movie was kind enough to fill in the gaps of who the heck these people are as I have no clue! Glacier pace? Not every movie needs to be bang bang bang!

Marvel's success has become a bit dangerous, as the media world is now saturated with a lot of solid comic book movies. This isn't the days of X2 when there was almost no competition. Marvel's success from The Avengers to End Game kept building on itself, with Infinity War being one of the greatest and intense action films ever. So along comes The Eternals with a measured and deliberate pace, and people start whining about it.

The Eternals start, transition on Earth, and come to a reckoning on deciding what to do when they see all the cards on the table. A bit was predictable, but overall, the movie felt complete, not overly long (see Batman v Superman for that!), and well produced.

3.25 of 4

The Eternals - Man, this movie is taking a lot of shit from reviewers (even Manohla Dargis who used to be one of my go to reviewers). Personally, I thought it was great. Somewhat of a remaster of The Watchman movie, as far as the ultimate issue of greater loss or greater good, but it was a in-depth film that wasn't an origins story. Again, that film too wasn't exactly blow stuff up every five seconds. This felt much different than the average comic book film. The movie was kind enough to fill in the gaps of who the heck these people are as I have no clue! Glacier pace? Not every movie needs to be bang bang bang!

Marvel's success has become a bit dangerous, as the media world is now saturated with a lot of solid comic book movies. This isn't the days of X2 when there was almost no competition. Marvel's success from The Avengers to End Game kept building on itself, with Infinity War being one of the greatest and intense action films ever. So along comes The Eternals with a measured and deliberate pace, and people start whining about it.

The Eternals start, transition on Earth, and come to a reckoning on deciding what to do when they see all the cards on the table. A bit was predictable, but overall, the movie felt complete, not overly long (see Batman v Superman for that!), and well produced.

3.25 of 4
I shut it off about halfway through. I thought it was a meandering mess.

Watching the movie “The Forty Year Old Version” and really really liking it. (It’s on Netfix).

A woman nearing 40 working as a highschool playwright teacher - decides to be a rapper. Humor, some social commentary, some great on dits. But not frantic. It’s a slow pace that just flows.

I gave it a shot. It does have some good bits in it but alas with a running time of 120 minutes it is way too long and I bailed after about an hour or wherever the scene that took place with girls rhyming in a boxing ring came about.

Don't Look Up, 0/10; Against my better judgement I thought I'd give this movie a chance. Well I gave it about 15/20 minutes. It was shit.

Richard Jewell. Watched it on a flight home that was delayed for a long time (the entire first act played out while we were sitting at the gate), so I saw it on a tiny screen and was also quite annoyed.

Amazing film. Clint Eastwood really got some great performances out of the cast. Sam Rockwell is (as always) amazing, Jon Hamm is his usual bad-guy self, and Kathy Bates damned near steals the movie, but it is Paul Walter Hauser's Jewell that is the anchor of the film. He's portrayed as a simple man, but not dumb. A "loser" who just keeps taking punches from the world, guileless and honest to a fault, but ultimately self-aware of the fact that he's a "loser." He keeps taking the hits because that's all he knows how to do. Hauser makes you feel every insult, indignation, and injustice that Jewell feels, and when the man finally reaches his breaking point (and fights back), it is very moving.

Richard Jewell really was a hero, but was railroaded by the media and the FBI. When his name is finally cleared, it's not the soaring triumph with swelling music that a lesser director would have tried. It's a testament to Eastwood's skills, and a real gem of a movie that was mostly overlooked.

I vaguely remember the bombing incident and the story about Jewell from the time and have never really thought about it since. I happened to notice the movie was playing on one of the cable channels and since I'd been reminded of the incident through your excellent review I tuned in. Indeed it was a great movie and there's nothing much to add to you review of the movie, I'd give it a 9/10.

I did seek out Richard's interview on 60 Minutes.

That poor man and his mother were treated like shit by the media and the FBI. The FBI were a disgrace.

Yes, he was treated terribly at the time. I feel bad for him. But I have to say that I laughed my ass off the first time I heard a commentator mock him as the "una-bubba". It was a mockery of the "una-bomber"; a terrorist at the time.

Richard Jewell. Watched it on a flight home that was delayed for a long time (the entire first act played out while we were sitting at the gate), so I saw it on a tiny screen and was also quite annoyed.

Amazing film. Clint Eastwood really got some great performances out of the cast. Sam Rockwell is (as always) amazing, Jon Hamm is his usual bad-guy self, and Kathy Bates damned near steals the movie, but it is Paul Walter Hauser's Jewell that is the anchor of the film. He's portrayed as a simple man, but not dumb. A "loser" who just keeps taking punches from the world, guileless and honest to a fault, but ultimately self-aware of the fact that he's a "loser." He keeps taking the hits because that's all he knows how to do. Hauser makes you feel every insult, indignation, and injustice that Jewell feels, and when the man finally reaches his breaking point (and fights back), it is very moving.

Richard Jewell really was a hero, but was railroaded by the media and the FBI. When his name is finally cleared, it's not the soaring triumph with swelling music that a lesser director would have tried. It's a testament to Eastwood's skills, and a real gem of a movie that was mostly overlooked.

I vaguely remember the bombing incident and the story about Jewell from the time and have never really thought about it since. I happened to notice the movie was playing on one of the cable channels and since I'd been reminded of the incident through your excellent review I tuned in. Indeed it was a great movie and there's nothing much to add to you review of the movie, I'd give it a 9/10.

I did seek out Richard's interview on 60 Minutes.

That poor man and his mother were treated like shit by the media and the FBI. The FBI were a disgrace.

Yes, he was treated terribly at the time. I feel bad for him. But I have to say that I laughed my ass off the first time I heard a commentator mock him as the "una-bubba". It was a mockery of the "una-bomber"; a terrorist at the time.

Another fun fact about the Olympic Park bombing. My older brother was doing National Guard duty guarding the park and treated wounded after the bomb went off.

Fisherman's Friend, 7/10; Available on Amazon, stars James Purefoy. A group of four lads on a bachelor weekend are messing around in a Cornish fishing village and stumble across a group of fishermen who sing traditional shanty songs for locals and tourists. One of the lads gets pranked into trying to sign them to a record deal. Based on a true story the movie is quite entertaining but very twee in parts. Somewhat similar to the movie The Commitments.

Knives Out
A murder mystery with enough twists and turns to make an Indycar driver dizzy. A must see.
5/5

This is England, 6/10; Streaming on IFC, this highly acclaimed movie was a bit of a let down. The story revolves around a troubled 13 year old boy in 1983 England who falls into the fold of a small gang on skinheads on an English housing estate. The gang's happy existence is short lived when Combo shows up after being released from prison and his stint in prison seems to have instilled extreme national and racist views. The soundtrack wasn't as good as it could have been considering the skinhead music scene had lots going on.

London Town, 6/10; Streaming on IFC (free trial!) another movie set in the 80s about a 15 year old Shay and his sister living with their dad after their mother has abandoned the family for a freestyle life in London. The dad owns a piano repair shop and is hurt in an accident leaving Shay to cope on his own while his dad stays in hospital. Shay meets a young girl on a train journey and they attend a Clash concert. Following the concert and a chance meeting with Joe Strummer of the Clash, Shay decides to take his dad's business in another direction in the hope of saving the business.

Everything Must Go, 5/10; Will Ferrell stars in this movie about an alcoholic mid level executive who is on a downward spiral after losing his job. He leaves his office after being fired to arrive home and discover his wife has left him, locked him out of the house and put all his belongings on the lawn. I thought I was going to get some Ferrell comedy but nope, turns out this was a movie he was going to act a serious character. So the movie was very disappointing not only down to a lack of comedy but the movie didn't have anything to it. It didn't build on anything to reach a climax, it just told a boring story about a loser who couldn't get his shit together.

Everything Must Go, 5/10; Will Ferrell stars in this movie about an alcoholic mid level executive who is on a downward spiral after losing his job. He leaves his office after being fired to arrive home and discover his wife has left him, locked him out of the house and put all his belongings on the lawn. I thought I was going to get some Ferrell comedy but nope, turns out this was a movie he was going to act a serious character. So the movie was very disappointing not only down to a lack of comedy...
You were expecting a Will Ferrell comedy... and were disappointed that there was a lack of comedy in the movie. I'm not quite certain how that squares. Sounds like it'd be that way either way.

Hacksaw Ridge, 7/10; WWII movie about a medic, Desmond Doss who was a conscientious objector and refused to carry a weapon. The movie covers Doss' heroics as he goes about the bloody battlefield trying to treat the wounded. His unit is forced to retreat as the Japanese troops advance in a bloody and violent encounter. Doss saves several of his countrymen and even a few of the Japanese soldiers despite the carnage and danger to himself. I initially thought this was a Clint Eastwood movie but it was directed a Mel Gibson which makes sense that Doss was highly religious.

The new James Bond movie, No Time to Die.

- It was pedestrian, which didn't surprise me.

- Parts of it didn't seem to make sense, which did surprise me.

- Pleasant surprise: The adolescent banter was dialed back, and much of it was actually witty.

- They played with the franchise motifs delightfully. It was reminiscent of the first Christopher Reeves Superman movie--"You will believe a man can fly"--where, as a for instance, Mario Puzo had Superman duck into a phone booth to change clothes ... only to find that the botom half of the booth didn't exist. Phone booths had evolved since the last time Superman had had a show.

Win It All; 5/10; Streaming on Netflix and stars Jake Johnson as a gambling addict, Eddie. Early in the movie a local gangster, Michael visits Eddie and asks this gambling addict to hold a duffel bag until he comes out of jail in six to nine months with instructions not to look in the bag. Well Eddie is a gambling addict, of course he's going to look in the bag and he discovers the bag has lots of money ($60k) and dips in for $500 to go gambling. The movie then meanders for a while and of course Eddie soon finds himself in a hole for about $27K and his friend due out of jail a lot sooner than six months. He has a week to replace the missing $27k or he's toast. An indie movie with crap dialogue, mostly adlibbed, badly. Another movie with good reviews that I did not particularly enjoy.

Last edited:
Turning Red - A simple film that is a bit hard to relate to unless you turn into a red panda. ;)

3.5 of 4

24 Hour Party People, 8/10; Stars Steve Coogan as Tony Wilson, founder of The Hacienda Club and Factory Records and music/art promoter of acts like Joy Division, New Order and Happy Mondays. The Hacienda Club became a cultural icon of the "Madchester" music scene of the eighties/early nineties. The movie covers the rise and fall of The Hacienda and Factory records. It's fast pace is interspersed with archive concert footage of various bands of that time. But there are also little clips of character actors playing the likes of Ian Curtis of Joy Division which was brilliant. If you likes that music scene you will surely like this movie.

Finally got around to watching Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Things I learned:

1. Dinosaurs are weirdly helpful to you if you're a main protagonist, but quite dangerous to everyone else.
2. Saving endangered species is a priority, but only if they died more than 70 million years ago.
3. Lava is only dangerous if it touches you.
4. Pyroclastic flows travel only slightly faster than Chris Pratt can run, and are not dangerous if you're only enveloped in them for a second or two.
5. Giant therapods fight each other with little or no provocation, and they don't bother with threat displays first, they just go right for the chomp.
6. A freight ship can travel from Costa Rica to California, dock at Eureka, and offload hundreds of very illegal zoo animals on their way to Orick by container truck all in a matter of hours. Alas, poor Orick! I knew this town.
7. Things that will not stop you from running around like an action hero: getting knifed; getting shot; getting dosed with enough tranquilizer to drop a two ton armored dinosaur; molten rock through your shoulder; being trapped on a ship without food or medical supplies for days; getting skewered through the leg by a dinosaur claw easily the size of a human femur. Is this movie a Marvel crossover? Was Owen Brady bit by a radioactive dilophosaur between movies?
8. Hollywood still has no idea how cloning works.
9. If Colin Trevorrow wants dinosaurs in a haunted mansion, gosh darn it that's what he's gonna get.

4/10 stars.

there.jpg

There Will Be Blood. Such a great movie. If I thought God was appearing to me and talking to me I'd go to a psychiatrist for medication, lol.

Back
Top Bottom