• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

What Richard Did, 5/10; Streaming on Kanopy this independent arthouse movie set in Ireland was critically acclaimed. The story unfolds incredibly slowly and is very boring at times. Richard is a young adult, making the transition from high school to university, he is upper class and come from a good family, plays rugby, enjoys a party and a drink and has lots of friends and is well liked. He hooks up with a girl in his social circle and gets a little bit jealous when he sees her at a party talking to an ex flame. There is a confrontation outside a house party and Richard does something that is life changing. Overall, the movie is a chore to watch most of the time and the ending is not satisfactory but the acting performances from the young cast at times was outstanding.

Believe Me: The Abduction of Lisa McVey 9/10; Based on a true story about teenager Lisa McVey who was abducted, held and raped multiple times for 26 hours by a serial killer and rapist. I always feel a bit guilty about watching a horrific event as entertainment but it is a compelling story about how this remarkable young woman cheated death and was able to help police capture the man responsible for the rape and killing of women in Florida despite an abusive and uncaring family and a police department that was initially dubious of her story.

You People, 4/10; Streaming on Netflix this movie has a strong cast including Julia Louise-Dreyfuss, Jonah Hill and Eddi Murphy. Jonah Hill is a slacker who dreams of becoming a successful media personality through his podcast who gets into a relationship with an African American girl and they plan on getting married. To begin with there are a few funny scenes and lines and then the movie takes a hard left and goes from Rom-Com to social commentary/lecture about every racial cliché and stereotype that has been done to death.

Saw again "Mr. Smith goes to Washington", with the delicious Jean Arthur...

Next day I saw "The more the merrier", also with Jean Arthur...:dancy:

No One Will Save You

Brief synopsis: aliens intrude into a young girl's home.

I give a movie about 30-40 minutes before deciding whether I'm going to watch the rest of it.

This movie was so bad I couldn't turn it off. I had to see if the ending was somehow going to provide some kind of reasonable explanation for what happened. What would've been perfect would've been for the protagonist to wake up, say it was all a dream, and then look right into the camera and say, "I can't believe you watched this whole thing you f'ing moron!"

What may be even more shocking than the utter stupidity of this movie are the positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes--particularly from the critics. To me, this flick is Rifftrax/MST3K material. It really is that bad.

To provide a detailed synopsis of even 1/10th of the Dumb of this movie would take multiple paragraphs.

If you enjoy bad movies, you'll love this one.

2/10

Sicario, 5/10; An action thriller starring Emily Blunt, Benicio Del Toro and Josh Brolin. The plot revolves around a shady US government force trying to cut down Mexican drug cartels. In order to have some semblance of legality, the force co-opts regular DEA agents to help with the operation. There are a myriad of characters to try to keep track of and I couldn't be bothered investing in any of the characters to keep track of who was doing what. At two hours the movie was bloated with little action. Only two scenes I recall were any good. Benicio Del Toro was a stand out and was the only reason I hung in there until the end.

Sicario, 5/10; An action thriller starring Emily Blunt, Benicio Del Toro and Josh Brolin. The plot revolves around a shady US government force trying to cut down Mexican drug cartels. In order to have some semblance of legality, the force co-opts regular DEA agents to help with the operation. There are a myriad of characters to try to keep track of and I couldn't be bothered investing in any of the characters to keep track of who was doing what. At two hours the movie was bloated with little action. Only two scenes I recall were any good. Benicio Del Toro was a stand out and was the only reason I hung in there until the end.
Interesting. I thought it was one of the better movies I’ve seen in the last 10 years, in part because they didn’t just go around blowing stuff up and engaging in ridiculous gun battles. And I didn’t have trouble keeping track of characters.

Old Henry, 7/10; A decent western that stars Tim Blake Nelson in the title role of Henry, a widowed farmer that lives with his teenage son. A rider-less horse comes onto the property and there is blood on the saddle indicating that something bad has happened. Henry sets off to investigate, leaving his son to mind the farm. Henry finds a gravely wounded man, a satchel of money and a gun. Henry brings the wounded man, money and gun back to the farm and the trouble soon starts. A posse of sheriffs come to Henry's farm looking for the man and in a tense standoff, Henry tells them he knows nothing and tells them to leave. There's a lot more to Henry than him being a simple farmer. It's a slow paced story and it can be a bit frustrating because Henry's kid Wyatt is annoyingly stupid but the movie is engrossing.

The Great Escape, 10/10; A classic movie released in 1963 with an outstanding cast including Gordon Jackson, Richard Attenborough, David McCallum, Angus Lennie. A mixed bag of Allied (British, Canadian, USA, Australian) military personnel are POW in German Stalag Luft III. They work at escaping by tunneling out of the prison. It's a ripping yarn and highly entertaining. I can never resist watching this iconic movie when I see it on. I consider it a Christmas movie because I seem to remember it always being on TV around Christmas time.

The Great Escape, 10/10; A classic movie released in 1963 with an outstanding cast including Gordon Jackson, Richard Attenborough, David McCallum, Angus Lennie. A mixed bag of Allied (British, Canadian, USA, Australian) military personnel are POW in German Stalag Luft III. They work at escaping by tunneling out of the prison. It's a ripping yarn and highly entertaining. I can never resist watching this iconic movie when I see it on. I consider it a Christmas movie because I seem to remember it always being on TV around Christmas time.
I was channel-surfing a few days ago, and there it was. Two hours later …

I must have watched it a half dozen times over the years. Donald Pleasance, Steve McQueen, James Garner, James Cobuen, Charles Bronson, and everyone’s favorite Nazi, Karl-Otto Alberty.

The Killer, 7/10; Streaming on Netflix and stars Michael Fassbender as a hired assassin who botches an important hit. The movie opens with a monologue from The Killer while he is casing his latest target and outlines his ethos for his line of work. After botching the job he now becomes the target for assassination in attempt to cover the tracks of the client who ordered the hit. It's a long movie with not a lot of action and not much tension and nothing particularly catchy about it. The movie gets a fair bit of criticism for being boring but I thought it was okay and I stuck with it until the end.

The Marvels - It was fun. More competent than Antman 3. Ms Marvel and her teenaged squee held the film together. They managed a reasonable plot device to make Captain Marvel not insanely overpowering, which is what she needs to make her not boring like Superman. A little over the top, a little too silly at points, a little perfectly silly in others. A great romp really. It continues something from one of the series and from the original Marvel movie.

This universe is getting larger and larger which is providing an incredible potential for stories.

3 of 4.

Smashing a Jersey Mosquito (1902)
Not a typo -- this is a 64 second film from 1902, made by Edison's film company and shot by Edwin S, Porter a year before The Great Train Robbery.
You don't have to love silent films, although I do, because this thing is barely a minute long. It's a battle between a married couple and a giant mosquito -- and wait til you see the prop bug! It's done in a spirit of pure silliness, and it's all slapstick. I laughed out loud twice, which is more than I laugh at some contemporary comedies. C'mon Hollywood, watch this thing, get a sense of its story arc, and make pictures like this one.
(Available on Youtube.)

Smashing a Jersey Mosquito (1902)
Not a typo -- this is a 64 second film from 1902, made by Edison's film company and shot by Edwin S, Porter a year before The Great Train Robbery.
You don't have to love silent films, although I do, because this thing is barely a minute long. It's a battle between a married couple and a giant mosquito -- and wait til you see the prop bug! It's done in a spirit of pure silliness, and it's all slapstick. I laughed out loud twice, which is more than I laugh at some contemporary comedies. C'mon Hollywood, watch this thing, get a sense of its story arc, and make pictures like this one.
(Available on Youtube.)
The dog has questions.

Indiana Jones And The Dial Of Destiny 5/10

The chase scene was pretty good but it got downright silly at the end.

Back
Top Bottom