• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Bank of Dave

An entertaining docudrama about a van salesman’s efforts to start a community bank in Burnley. Based on Dave Fishwick, a selfmade millionaire who wanted to help his community.

Orion and the Dark - My daughter wanted to watch it. She liked it, but it was a rather hollow movie that would have been much better as a short film.

I watched the crime documentary Lover, Stalker, Killer on Netflix. I tend to like crime documentaries; they are detective mysteries in which you do not need to worry "Could this really happen?"

But even if you don't like crime documentaries as a rule, you might want to watch this one. Do NOT spoil the suspense by Googling the movie or crime.

Society Of The Snow, 9/10; Streaming on Netflix this movie is the remarkable true story of a plane crash that occurred in 1972. The plane travelling from Uruguay to Chile and carrying 45 people crashed in the Andes. On impact around 30 passengers survived, many of them badly injured and would not survive for long in the harsh conditions. There was a search for survivors but the search was called off after eight days as it was assumed that there would be no survivors and the search would start again in the spring to recover the bodies. The food soon runs out and the survivors must resort to cannibalism and figure out a way to get out of the situation. A great movie with fantastic performances from the young cast.

Society Of The Snow, 9/10; Streaming on Netflix this movie is the remarkable true story of a plane crash that occurred in 1972. The plane travelling from Uruguay to Chile and carrying 45 people crashed in the Andes. On impact around 30 passengers survived, many of them badly injured and would not survive for long in the harsh conditions. There was a search for survivors but the search was called off after eight days as it was assumed that there would be no survivors and the search would start again in the spring to recover the bodies. The food soon runs out and the survivors must resort to cannibalism and figure out a way to get out of the situation. A great movie with fantastic performances from the young cast.
I have always been fascinated by this incident since I read the Reader's Digest version of the book about this (Alive) when I was about 12 years old. I end up re-reading the whole book every few years. You should also check out the movie version of Alive that was made in about 1993. The crash landing was pretty terrifying. Also, a very good movie. I'll have to check out this new movie. I had no idea there was another remake.

I have always been fascinated by this incident since I read the Reader's Digest version of the book about this (Alive) when I was about 12 years old. I end up re-reading the whole book every few years. You should also check out the movie version of Alive that was made in about 1993. The crash landing was pretty terrifying. Also, a very good movie. I'll have to check out this new movie. I had no idea there was another remake.

I watched Alive not too long ago and I only just realized how old that movie is. It really is a fascinating story that has remained in the public conscious for decades. I've been drawn back to reading more about it. Their will to survive and carry on is incredible.

Becoming Truly Human (2017)
"Follow Basil as he navigates our modern cultural landscape, engaging with a group of spiritual "nones" (religious unaffiliated) in honest and open discussion on religion and spirituality, while recounting his own journey as a "none" in search of spiritual wholeness."
Very dishonest. Tries to redefine 'nones' as 'undecided'. Or agnostic. Completely ignoring the 'NO god' contingent of nones. As if we don't exist.
I watched 15 minutes, then skipped to the end.
In the happy ending all of the interviewed 'nones' returned to the church.
Released in 2017, but as of Feb 2024 has only 4 reviews on IMDB. (including mine)

The dubbing made this one unwatchable for me. Maybe I'll go back and see if it allows the original language and English subtitles.

Cruella

This movie had been sitting in my DVR for several months. I finally got around to watching it.

I came very close to turning it off as it seemed to center on Cruella's quest to become a fashion designer. I'm glad I didn't.

The movie quickly turned into a heist/revenge movie of Cruella trying to ruin "The Baroness'" fashion empire. Clever tricks are employed to do so. Then a realization sets in that makes matters much more important to Cruella.

Stand out performances by both Emma Stone and Emma Thompson. The costuming is quite grand and the soundtrack, consisting of sixties/seventies rock music and modern covers of the same, is also a special part of the movie.

I should have watched it sooner. 8/10.

Last edited:
Thanksgiving
4/10

I'll never learn my lesson. I'm a sucker for a good horror movie and the line on my heart monitor will probably go flat as I die watching some non-horrific mediocrity.

I'd read good things about this one though, so it seemed promising even though Eli Roth directed it. Eli Roth is a controversial director, but not for the right reasons. His controversy stems from a vast majority of people who hate his movies and a small but weirdly loyal group of fans who think he's a genius.

That weirdly loyal group is wrong.

This is a standard 80s type slasher updated to today's technology, but lacks any of the edge of the classics like the first Halloween. It's something of a whodunnit, but I didn't care whodidit, and the reveal was uninspired. There were a few notable moments, but too many groaners in between to make the stupid stuff worth sitting through.

I'd suggest that one reason to avoid it is to disourage the making of a sequel, but it's too late. Apparently a sequel is already in the works.

Don't see it anyway.

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, 7/10; A crime thriller released in 2007 starring Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Ethan Hawke, Albert Finney and Merissa Tomei. This movie plot had the potential to be a really awesome thriller and starts out that way but it goes off the rails pretty quickly to dissect the characters and their relationships which slows things down and is quite boring. the story starts with two brothers, Andy is on the verge of getting caught embezzling money at his job and convinces his dim brother Hank to rob their parent's jewelry store. Hank pulls in an accomplice from his work who fucks things up by getting into a shoot out with the mother, the mother is critically wounded and the accomplice is killed. Things start to unravel for the hapless brothers as connections are made with Hank and the dead robber and Andy is under mounting pressure from his office about suspicious goings on with the payroll. There are some great scenes in this movie and the actors' performances are excellent but the movie gets too caught up in the family dysfunction themes. It's still a decent watch though.

Poor Things

A truly original take on the Frankenstein story. The acting ia great, the sets are beautiful, the story is quite compelling as "Bella" begins her journey of enlightenment. The ending is a hoot.

10/10

Warning: Nudity. LOTS of nudity.

Less Than the Dust (1916) Silent melodrama with Mary Pickford, who set the pace for Hollywood movies by assembling a production team around her that included hand-picked cinematographers, screen writers, and directors. But this one is a tough watch, an aimless story that starts in India with Mary as a sort of street urchin and ends with her finding that she is actually an English girl, abandoned by an English officer who was a rotter. I love the silent screen, but not all of those films are classics.

Poor Things

A truly original take on the Frankenstein story. The acting ia great, the sets are beautiful, the story is quite compelling as "Bella" begins her journey of enlightenment. The ending is a hoot.

10/10

10/10?! I turned it off after 20 minutes. I may go back to it but it sounds awful. Emma Stone just won an academy award for it.

Poor Things

10/10

I wanted to like the movie, but I found it unbearable...:humph:🤨

Generally I don’t care for musicals but I’ll admit some stories work as musicals and some don’t.
The original Willy Wonka, also Moulin Rouge work. Les Miserables did not. The story is just too good to have some asshole interrupting it with song. Might as well go take a piss.
And yet, Les Mis was a musical first (after being a book of course).

I just watched Under Fire (1983): Nick Nolte, Gene Hackman, Joanna Cassidy all play journalists covering the revolution against Nicaragua's Somoza. It's called a "political thriller" although it has much more gunfire and blood than most political thrillers. Although the plot was a bit confusing and scattered, I'd rate it slightly higher than its 7.0 IMDB rating.

Ed Harris -- one of my favorite actors -- has only a small role in the film (1983 was the same year as his "breakout role" in The Right Stuff), but he may show up instead of Joanna Cassidy when Googling this film.

1983!! How did I pick a 41-year old movie to watch? I Googled to find two lists of Nick Nolte's Best Movies. Under Fire ranked #6 on one list and #12 on the other. With Gene Hackman and Ed Harris also shown -- giving the film three of my favorite actors -- it was an easy decision to watch this film.

The film that turned me into a Nick Nolte fan was Good Thief. It shows up as #1 on one of the Best-Nolte-Movies webpages, and doesn't appear at all on the other!
Love Nick in A Walk in the Woods.

Generally I don’t care for musicals but I’ll admit some stories work as musicals and some don’t.
The original Willy Wonka, also Moulin Rouge work. Les Miserables did not. The story is just too good to have some asshole interrupting it with song. Might as well go take a piss.
And yet, Les Mis was a musical first (after being a book of course).
Sorry. All I get is Russell Crowe and it hurts.

Back
Top Bottom